E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-06-2013, 04:44 PM   #1
mthreezycrazy

My Ride: ///M3
One speaker out

Hi guys,

I recently came back from a long trip abroad and my car wasn't turning on so I had to jump start it. When I drove the car after I realized just the front passenger speaker is no longer making any noise. I have a dynavin heady but installed along with aftermarket speakers. Anyone have an idea what the source of this issue could be? Thanks in advance

mthreezycrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 09-11-2013, 04:48 AM   #2
mthreezycrazy

bump?

Old 09-11-2013, 09:04 AM   #3
markusmarkus

My Ride: 2001 330Ci
One speaker out

Try this BMW approved procedure:
Disconnect the ground cable at the battery
Disconnect the positive cable at the battery
Short the two cables together for a minimum of 10 minutes
Connect the positive cable to the battery
Connect the ground cable to the battery.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
markusmarkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 01:38 AM   #4
mthreezycrazy

thanks for the input, I will give this a try and see what happens

Old 09-16-2013, 08:10 PM   #5
mthreezycrazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by markusmarkus View Post
Try this BMW approved procedure:
Disconnect the ground cable at the battery
Disconnect the positive cable at the battery
Short the two cables together for a minimum of 10 minutes
Connect the positive cable to the battery
Connect the ground cable to the battery.

If you honestly thought I would just try this without further questioning, then you are clearly confused. I might be a novice when it comes to car audio, but I am not a moron. I do not see what you would get out of saying this to someone. One day you will do something like this and the person will go and try it and overheat their battery and electrocute themselves. Yea, it would be their fault for being stupid and just trying it, but you would be the cause of that situation. Great contribution you would be making to society, right? Grow up you dumb fvck.

Anyways, sorry for the rant. Does anyone have some real input on how I could figure out whether my amp is at fault or the speaker itself. Was looking to buy a new speaker set anyway if thats the case.

Old 09-16-2013, 09:01 PM   #6
Circuitsoft

My Ride: 2002 325xi Wagon
Uh, he's being serious. You don't short the battery out, you short the car out. It will drain any capacitors in electronic modules on the car forcing a complete system reset. It's actually a good idea. If it happened after having to jump start, it's distinctly possible that something just didn't completely reset right and is in a bad state due to power rail droop.

Last edited by Circuitsoft; 09-16-2013 at 09:02 PM.
Circuitsoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 09:32 PM   #7
CharlzO

My Ride: 2000 328ci
Only other thing I can suggest, would be to pull your door off, and test the speaker individually with a sound source. It doesn't sound like an issue with the speaker, though, since normally you'd at least get SOME sound even if it had gone bad. If the rest mentioned above doesn't help, you'll likely have to pull the unit out, and try to trace the lines back through the system and see if you can isolate where it went. If it's in the Dyavin, or the factory amp, or whatever.
CharlzO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 09:16 AM   #8
markusmarkus

My Ride: 2001 330Ci
One speaker out

Quote:
Originally Posted by mthreezycrazy View Post
If you honestly thought I would just try this without further questioning, then you are clearly confused. I might be a novice when it comes to car audio, but I am not a moron. I do not see what you would get out of saying this to someone. One day you will do something like this and the person will go and try it and overheat their battery and electrocute themselves. Yea, it would be their fault for being stupid and just trying it, but you would be the cause of that situation. Great contribution you would be making to society, right? Grow up you dumb fvck.

Anyways, sorry for the rant. Does anyone have some real input on how I could figure out whether my amp is at fault or the speaker itself. Was looking to buy a new speaker set anyway if thats the case.
It's a BMW-approved process. I've used numerous times on my bimmer and my friends' bimmers. The process does NOT short the battery but resets the electronix.

markusmarkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 06:47 PM   #9
s2kenny

My Ride: 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by mthreezycrazy View Post

You might want to re-read the instructions. You're supposed to short the wires after the battery is disconnected.. I don't see how you can overheat a battery that isn't connected to anything.
s2kenny is offline   Reply With Quote