E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-11-2013, 07:27 PM   #1
jM2.me

My Ride: BMW
Simple aux input?

When I bought the car it had Pioner P4900DVD stereo in it, which I later sold with different car.
The car still has factory HK amplifier which I am very happy with.

Right now, all I want is to be able to play audio from 3.5 stereo jack without replacing factory hk amp.
The old stereo had 4x40W output, so what do I do?
jM2.me is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 09-12-2013, 09:09 AM   #2
UltimatePeter

My Ride: 2001 BMW 330xi
I'm a little confused. You want to put in an AUX port with no deck?
UltimatePeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 09:28 AM   #3
jM2.me

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimatePeter View Post
I'm a little confused. You want to put in an AUX port with no deck?
Simple aux port without a stereo, and with factory hk amp.
However I have no clue what kind of input hk amp takes? Is it high or low?
Old 09-12-2013, 09:34 AM   #4
UltimatePeter

So...

This may be technically possible, if you get into the wiring harness behind the deck, and send some power down the white wire that tells your HK to turn on. Then, wire a 3.5 mm port up to the plus/minus for your speaker leads. There will be front and rear, left and right, plus and minus... So, you would have to figure out how to hook to all of them. In this video, I tell you where and what color the Amp power turn-on lead is, as well as the rear L/R, +/-. These wires will be the same color behind your radio in the dash.

However, I would say this is all more work than it is worth, when you could just go on Craigs and find a deck with aux in for $50.

Last edited by UltimatePeter; 09-12-2013 at 09:36 AM.
Old 09-12-2013, 09:56 AM   #5
jM2.me

Quote:
So...

This may be technically possible, if you get into the wiring harness behind the deck, and send some power down the white wire that tells your HK to turn on. Then, wire a 3.5 mm port up to the plus/minus for your speaker leads. There will be front and rear, left and right, plus and minus... So, you would have to figure out how to hook to all of them. In this video, I tell you where and what color the Amp power turn-on lead is, as well as the rear L/R, +/-. These wires will be the same color behind your radio in the dash.

However, I would say this is all more work than it is worth, when you could just go on Craigs and find a deck with aux in for $50.
Okay. But does that mean I can just plug 3.5 in my device, splice other end, and connect it to hk amp inputs?
I don't think a device such as android will have strong enough signal to push to hk amp on 4 channels (FL,FR,RL,RR). Does it?

One more question. Can I find white wire that powers HK amp behind radio in the dash?

Last edited by jM2.me; 09-12-2013 at 09:59 AM.
Old 09-12-2013, 12:37 PM   #6
UltimatePeter

The regular business CD head puts out a very low level to the HK amp... But I cannot say whether it would be comparable to your android out... Could be? I know I have seen the output from The Business CD listed somewhere. If you could track it down and then compare to the output specs on your phone.

Ha ha, once again, I am going to emphasize that this is probably way more work than just buying a cheap Pioneer or Sony Deck. I have a Pioneer and I am super satisfied with it. It has hookups for Aux 3.5, USB thumb/ipod, and wireless Bluetooth. I use the bluetooth from my android. I don't even have to take my phone out of my pocket when I get in the car, and it receives calls over the Car Speakers while dampening the music. Seriously recommend this route instead of trying to rig some weird thing up.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2013-07-17 20.25.54.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	75.6 KB
ID:	526268   Click image for larger version

Name:	2013-07-17 20.24.36.jpg
Size:	75.5 KB
ID:	526269   Click image for larger version

Name:	2013-07-19 14.40.45.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	93.6 KB
ID:	526270   Click image for larger version

Name:	2013-07-19 14.40.33.jpg
Size:	100.9 KB
ID:	526271  

Last edited by UltimatePeter; 09-12-2013 at 12:39 PM.
Old 09-12-2013, 06:36 PM   #7
jM2.me

Quote:
The regular business CD head puts out a very low level to the HK amp... But I cannot say whether it would be comparable to your android out... Could be? I know I have seen the output from The Business CD listed somewhere. If you could track it down and then compare to the output specs on your phone.

Ha ha, once again, I am going to emphasize that this is probably way more work than just buying a cheap Pioneer or Sony Deck. I have a Pioneer and I am super satisfied with it. It has hookups for Aux 3.5, USB thumb/ipod, and wireless Bluetooth. I use the bluetooth from my android. I don't even have to take my phone out of my pocket when I get in the car, and it receives calls over the Car Speakers while dampening the music. Seriously recommend this route instead of trying to rig some weird thing up.
I will be installing Raspberry Pi until I get ODROID. ODROID and Raspberry Pi both have stereo 3.5 output. This is the main reason why I can't just install a deck.
Old 09-16-2013, 07:58 PM   #8
jM2.me

Bumping.

Does HK take low or high level input from head unit?
Old 09-18-2013, 10:58 AM   #9
StereoInstaller1

My Ride: 4 door demo booth
Quote:
Originally Posted by jM2.me View Post
Bumping.

Does HK take low or high level input from head unit?
Quick answer? High level.

The stock BMW amplifiers use a "speaker level" input, significantly higher than any deck makes from the pre-amp outputs, but less than a typical "high power" speaker levels from a normal aftermarket deck.

If you were to use something like the JL Audio CL-RLC: http://www.jlaudio.com/cl-rlc-car-au...xpansion-98117 you might get enough gain to run the stock amps input...but I doubt it.

GL and post your results!
StereoInstaller1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 02:26 PM   #10
jM2.me

Quote:
Originally Posted by StereoInstaller1 View Post
Quick answer? High level.

The stock BMW amplifiers use a "speaker level" input, significantly higher than any deck makes from the pre-amp outputs, but less than a typical "high power" speaker levels from a normal aftermarket deck.

If you were to use something like the JL Audio CL-RLC: http://www.jlaudio.com/cl-rlc-car-au...xpansion-98117 you might get enough gain to run the stock amps input...but I doubt it.

GL and post your results!
Thank you.
So in short, I need a device to increase gain from 3.5mm device to stock amp. I have PLMPA35 "amplifier" that I got for free, but was told that it's piece of ****. I though I would be able to use it, but I guess not.

I think I will go with aftermarket amp. Any recommendations? Nothing fancy, but similar to quality of hk amp.
Now that I think about it, it might be better to spend more and know that it will work for sure.
Old 09-22-2013, 02:39 PM   #11
StereoInstaller1

You can't just pop in an aftermarket amp. The speakers have no crossovers at all, they are run directly from the amp, that is why it is a 10 channel amplifier with crossovers before each poopie little "chip amp".

I have my own way of "doing it right", but easiest for you is to figure out a way to feed the stock amp. After all, that won't cost much at all. Your little Pyle amp just might do the trick, but it is quite a bit of power to feed to the stock amp.

In fact, I fear something even smaller like this makes too much power: http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=300-380

If you found that sort of thing, in 12V, with about 4 watts per channel it would be perfect...if no noise, etc. I bet that one would work fine though. Hell, your Pyle just might be OK, this is all experimental.

Maybe a small panel with the controls from a PC speaker could be fabbed up, use the little 3 or 4W amp from the PC speakers to run your stock amp?

Dunno, it is not something I would normally do...just tossing some ideas around.

BTW, I don't think that JL piece I posted is gonna do it, I don't think even an Audiocontrol three.1 is gonna do it for you, voltagewise, into a stock amp.

Between those 2 is a good place to be, right around 4 watts per channel.

Luke

Last edited by StereoInstaller1; 09-22-2013 at 03:38 PM.
Old 09-22-2013, 09:46 PM   #12
jM2.me

Quote:
You can't just pop in an aftermarket amp. The speakers have no crossovers at all, they are run directly from the amp, that is why it is a 10 channel amplifier with crossovers before each poopie little "chip amp".

I have my own way of "doing it right", but easiest for you is to figure out a way to feed the stock amp. After all, that won't cost much at all. Your little Pyle amp just might do the trick, but it is quite a bit of power to feed to the stock amp.

In fact, I fear something even smaller like this makes too much power: http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=300-380

If you found that sort of thing, in 12V, with about 4 watts per channel it would be perfect...if no noise, etc. I bet that one would work fine though. Hell, your Pyle just might be OK, this is all experimental.

Maybe a small panel with the controls from a PC speaker could be fabbed up, use the little 3 or 4W amp from the PC speakers to run your stock amp?

Dunno, it is not something I would normally do...just tossing some ideas around.

BTW, I don't think that JL piece I posted is gonna do it, I don't think even an Audiocontrol three.1 is gonna do it for you, voltagewise, into a stock amp.

Between those 2 is a good place to be, right around 4 watts per channel.

Luke
http://www.pyleaudio.com/sku/plmpa35...er-w35mm-input

The pyle "amp" I have does seem to have same RMS rating (2 x 15 Watts RMS @ 4 Ohms), just like the one you posted the link to.

I didn't plan to have audio in the car anytime soon, but figured I should play with it while it's parked.
When I got the amp, I was tempted to try it out, but didn't want to burn anything.
Now that I think about even more, I will try it. And if it works, great. Otherwise I will just wait and have someone else re-haul audio system later on.

I will try this out tomorrow, and post the results.

Once again, thank you for help

Ninja edit.
I forgot that there is a white wire to turn on hk amp. I guess I can solder it with "12V switched/acc" pin to have it turn on when key is in position 1. Or should I connect it to battery through ralay controlled by "12V switched/acc" wire?

Last edited by jM2.me; 09-22-2013 at 10:20 PM.
Old 09-23-2013, 12:45 PM   #13
jM2.me

And an update to my last post.

After connecting everything, it does work. But, the mini amp might be a little too much, and I hope it is not damaging anything even on lowest levels.
Full volume output from a player (phone in my case), and lowest volume level on amp is about as loud as I would normally listen to music to.

Also +12V ACC wire doesn't work at all, so I temporary connected it with +12 battery. Might troubleshoot it or hook it up to relay later. Maybe blown fuse, most likely.
Big thanks to StereoInstaller1 and UltimatePeter

Last edited by jM2.me; 09-23-2013 at 12:49 PM.
Old 09-23-2013, 01:12 PM   #14
Hansenindustries

My Ride: 99 328i
Re: Simple aux input?

Quote:

Are you still able to utilize your steering wheel controls in any way with this setup?

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Hansenindustries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 02:38 PM   #15
jM2.me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hansenindustries View Post
Are you still able to utilize your steering wheel controls in any way with this setup?

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Not quite yet. I have to check if steering wheel controls are on k-bus or just analog wire.
I don't care about steering wheel controls for now. Maybe later when car is on the road.
Old 09-23-2013, 08:06 PM   #16
StereoInstaller1

I *may* have a spare SWI-X...make it do bluetooth!
Old 09-23-2013, 10:27 PM   #17
jM2.me

Quote:
I *may* have a spare SWI-X...make it do bluetooth!
Audio Bluetooth playback is simple.
Raspberry Pi or ODROID will have bluetooth usb dongle or bluetooth module.
Then in the OS all I have to do is setup A2DP SINK and should be able to play audio from android. Tested this setup and it works great.

Edit:
SWI-X looks pretty neat. However, I think I can tap into K/I-bus to read and send data.
Based on bmw pdf files I found, K/I-bus is single wire serial communication at 9600bps.
Furthermore, they were nice enough to post data packet structure.

Last edited by jM2.me; 09-23-2013 at 10:53 PM.
Old 09-24-2013, 02:01 AM   #18
StereoInstaller1

Quote:
Audio Bluetooth playback is simple.
Raspberry Pi or ODROID will have bluetooth usb dongle or bluetooth module.
Then in the OS all I have to do is setup A2DP SINK and should be able to play audio from android. Tested this setup and it works great.

Edit:
SWI-X looks pretty neat. However, I think I can tap into K/I-bus to read and send data.
Based on bmw pdf files I found, K/I-bus is single wire serial communication at 9600bps.
Furthermore, they were nice enough to post data packet structure.
BT audio = no worries, duh.

BT steering wheel controls, as in emulate H.I.D. input...that would be cool
Old 09-24-2013, 11:54 AM   #19
jM2.me

Quote:
BT audio = no worries, duh.

BT steering wheel controls, as in emulate H.I.D. input...that would be cool
Ahhh. I think I know what you mean.
I short you want to make an emulator for steering wheel controls (volute spring) that emulates HID device over bluetooth. Right? I assume you would then connect it to your aftermarket stereo for controls, assuming that aftermarket stereo can recognize hid device and receive commands from it?

In theory, it should be fairly easy. Today I'll see if I can read from K/I-bus.
If I can, then bt hid emulator for VS is possible.

Off I got
Old 09-24-2013, 12:02 PM   #20
StereoInstaller1

Quote:
Ahhh. I think I know what you mean.
I short you want to make an emulator for steering wheel controls (volute spring) that emulates HID device over bluetooth. Right? I assume you would then connect it to your aftermarket stereo for controls, assuming that aftermarket stereo can recognize hid device and receive commands from it?

In theory, it should be fairly easy. Today I'll see if I can read from K/I-bus.
If I can, then bt hid emulator for VS is possible.

Off I got
I was thinking more like something to run steering wheel controls on an Android device via BT.

I would like to use an Android tablet or something with full HD support and get full 24 bit audio form the HDMI port, but have steering wheel controls for it too.