E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > ///M3 Forum

///M3 Forum
The BMW E46 ///M3 is the M version E46 and puts out an amazing 333 HP and 262 lb-ft of torque at stock specs! There are an amazing amount of modifications for both the coupe and convertible models so read up and get started modifying your cars today!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-14-2013, 08:27 AM   #1
hinds90

My Ride: E46
To vanos or not to vanos?

The vanos on my M3 has the vanos rattle and I'm just trying to decide if I want to repair it myself or pay the steep price to have a shop do/ buy the Dr vanos. It's also time for a valve job. For those who have done this themselves how hard was it?

Edit: also I want to do the entire vanos overhaul. Exhaust hub, bolts, gaskets etc......

Last edited by hinds90; 09-14-2013 at 08:29 AM.
hinds90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 09-14-2013, 08:45 AM   #2
redrider423

My Ride: 2005 BMW M3 6MT Vert

It not hard but it is tedious. I did the Vanos refurb, valve shim, cam bolts and exhaust hub. (TTHUB V3) all at the same time. I also have all the tools and a full shim kit for sale.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
redrider423 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 09:02 AM   #3
hinds90

Could you pm me a price.

Last edited by hinds90; 09-14-2013 at 09:05 AM.
Old 09-14-2013, 09:20 AM   #4
redrider423

Sure. I'm asking $500 for it all. And I know you'll think that is high but I paid $700 bucks for all this stuff from ECS.

Camshaft Bridge with pin
Extra pin (so you can lock both cams in place)
Full shim kit with installer tool
Crankshaft locking pin
Micrometer
Feeler gauges

Old 09-14-2013, 09:33 AM   #5
hinds90

Any interest in renting the tools out? From start to finish how long did it take you?
Old 09-14-2013, 09:55 AM   #6
redrider423

No. I rented the shim kit once locally. Left a bad impression on me. He unorganized the shims and hid the used ones in with new ones. 17 in all. Then told me he didn't use any. I deducted the amount for the shims out of the deposit 17@$3.94 a piece and refunded the rest. As agreed on initial terms. He filed a pay pal claim on me which resulted in him getting back all his money plus the original rental fee. So it cost me $66.78 for him to do his valve shim. So I won't go down that road again.

It will take the average person around 10-12 hours to complete with a the valve shimming. (Do the valves first I recommend) Less if you've done it before. More if your extremely meticulous or have problems. Besians procedure is spot on unless you have other issues. Use lots and lots of rags or towels to put in the crevices as you work. Especially when shimming the valves. The shims are tiny and can easily get dropped into an oil gallery. #6 exhaust valves are the hardest to change if you have to. There is a hidden oil hole back there as well. Use towels. Can't stress that enough. Lock down the crankshaft with the pin and don't remove it until everything is finished with the Vanos. You can easily retime the cams but if that crank moves you in some trouble. I could go on and on. Lol.

Old 09-14-2013, 10:13 AM   #7
hinds90

Yeah I've read the best and DIY a few times now lol still not 100% yet but the price of paying someone else is pretty high.

I want try and change your mind on eating out the tools but I'm not in the market of screwing people over. I'm sure you could mark everything.
Old 09-14-2013, 10:17 AM   #8
redrider423

I'm sure your not but I just don't want to deal with it really. No offense. Where are you located geographically by the way?

Old 09-14-2013, 10:34 AM   #9
hinds90

I'm in the military stationed at Ft. Benning, GA but I'm in MS currently until I go to my recruiting center in Houston, TX Lol.
Old 09-14-2013, 12:04 PM   #10
redrider423

Thanks for your service.

Old 09-14-2013, 08:42 PM   #11
Alroy

My Ride: 2003 M3 SMG CWPkg.
Beisan ftw.
Old 09-15-2013, 01:22 AM   #12
m3e46freak

My Ride: e46/bike/Airplane?
Read the DIY's for this and youtube vids, you can do it!

2004 JB / Cinnamon SMG - NAV - Heated Seats
Sonic Tuning Spacers 15mm
Alcantara Wheel/Boot/Pillars
BMC filter
Carbon Fiber: Doors/Seat Back/Trim/Paddles
Scorza muffler
CSL Bumper/Trunk
ST Coilovers

m3e46freak@yahoo.com for outside contacting
m3e46freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 01:24 PM   #13
intelone

My Ride: e46 M3
Swap out your upper left timing chain guide while you're in there doing the vanos overhaul. The plastic guide has been known to worn out over time and break. Its just a few extra steps once you gotten the vanos exhaust hub to do the cam bolts. Here's a link to my experience with replacing it, as well as using Beisan's vanos kit.

intelone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 09:27 AM   #14
hinds90

Thanks for the words of encouragement and advice. I'm going to go ahead and do it myself once I get settled into my new place.

Last edited by hinds90; 09-16-2013 at 02:52 PM.
Old 09-16-2013, 09:53 AM   #15
Alroy

My Ride: 2003 M3 SMG CWPkg.
Quote:
Originally Posted by intelone View Post
Swap out your upper left timing chain guide while you're in there doing the vanos overhaul. The plastic guide has been known to worn out over time and break. Its just a few extra steps once you gotten the vanos exhaust hub to do the cam bolts. Here's a link to my experience with replacing it, as well as using Beisan's vanos kit.

I don't believe those 2 pressure plates are available from Beisan though. I had to get mine from the dealer.
Old 09-16-2013, 02:59 PM   #16
intelone

My Ride: e46 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alroy View Post
I don't believe those 2 pressure plates are available from Beisan though. I had to get mine from the dealer.
Thanks for pointing out where to get the S62 sprocket hub diaphragm spring and pressure plate. Same goes for the cam bolts, buy them at the dealer using the new revised lower torque spec or buy the upgraded Turbotoy bolts. That latter option is a more sound choice.

But in all seriousness, once the OP starts gathering parts, and doing the research it would become pretty clear where to source stock parts, Beisan kits, and who Turbotoy is. Fun project to be had.
intelone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 11:08 AM   #17
hinds90

I'm about to start ordering parts from beisan. Just wondering what all you guys replaced. I know I need the rattle kit, oil pump disk, and exhaust hub. Besides those parts, left chain guide, and the seals that go along with them what else did you replace?
Old 09-23-2013, 12:07 PM   #18
taylor192

My Ride: 2003.5 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by hinds90 View Post
I'm about to start ordering parts from beisan. Just wondering what all you guys replaced. I know I need the rattle kit, oil pump disk, and exhaust hub. Besides those parts, left chain guide, and the seals that go along with them what else did you replace?
You don't need both the vanos pump disc and the exhaust hub unless your exhaust hub tabs are broken.

You need all the gaskets that go along with opening the valve cover and vanos (ECS sells a kit with everything), otherwise all you need now are tools and time.
Old 09-23-2013, 12:47 PM   #19
hinds90

From researching I found its better to go ahead and replace the exhaust hub while you're under the valve cover? I don't want to replace unnecessary stuff but at the same time I don't want vanos issue for a good amount of miles lol.
Old 09-23-2013, 01:00 PM   #20
taylor192

My Ride: 2003.5 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by hinds90 View Post
From researching I found its better to go ahead and replace the exhaust hub while you're under the valve cover? I don't want to replace unnecessary stuff but at the same time I don't want vanos issue for a good amount of miles lol.
You need to do more research.

The Besian vanos pump disc has a smaller holes to prevent (hopefully, unproven) the exhaust hub tabs from breaking off. Thus if your exhaust hub has both tabs intact you really only need the Besian vanos pump disc.

If your exhaust hub tabs are broken (which you won't know till you open the valve cover) then you need a new exhaust hub and possibly new pump disc if it was damaged. At this point you have 2 choices:
1. The upgraded exhaust hub will fit the stock vanos pump disc (provided it isn't damaged).
2. Match a stock exhaust hub (or cyro treated Dr Vanos exhuast hub) with a Besian vanos pump disc.

Unfortunately you won't know what to buy until you'd opened the valve cover and find out if your exhaust hub and/or vanos pump disc are damaged.

When I tackle this I am going to ask Dr Vanos if they have a return policy, then order both the remachined pump disc and the upgraded exhaust hub - then return whichever I don't use.