E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning

Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning
Talk about driveline improvements, NA tuning and DME tuning your E46 BMW here. This includes diffs, intakes, exhausts, chips, software and OBD tuning.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 9 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 09-13-2013, 06:13 PM   #281
briangl92
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Scotts Valley
Posts: 9,515
My Ride: A08 ZSP ZPP SULEV
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCaLe39 View Post
Looks like I may be joining the SULEV club....although with a slight bit of hesitance. Been looking at E46 vehicles, specifically 02+ to use as a DD and threw down a deposit on an AW over Natural Brown interior after looking for about 2 months now. Looked at several E46s within my budget and all were beat or had the kind of history you don't want to see. The hesitant part is knowing there is a good chance at some point I'll have to swap out the tank for a low mileage used unit but since I do all the maintenance on my cars its not really a big deal. I figure I'll just find a tank and buy it to have on hand just in case. On the flip side, very excited as the color combination and overall condition of the car is really good. Hope to have it in my garage mid week and will share pics. Mods list has already started but I still need to finish my E60 M5 before I go down that road.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCaLe39 View Post
Some pics of the recent purchase...



Nice! Welcome I love the interior color with the Alpine exterior. Looks very classy.

As far as the gas tank, there's unconfirmed info on an M3 tank and pump swap. M3s run the same fuel pressure as we do. It would be a matter of finding out how the plumbing, connectors, and then also figuring out how to put a fuel filter in the line.
briangl92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 09:10 PM   #282
MrDrCr
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Nevada
Posts: 12
My Ride: 325i
***The Official M56 SULEV Warranty Documents, Check-in, and Questions Thread***

I have an 03' 325i SULEV. I've noticed a drop in MPG, shuddering when going up hills, taking longer to start after sitting for more than a couple of hours and the gas pumps shut down on me a lot way before the tank is full. I've even had it stall out on me 3 times with aggressive takeoffs right after filling the tank up. I'm thinking the issue is a failing fuel pump. I plan on taking I in to have it diagnosed. The only performance mod I have is a huge K&N air filter. I took out the whole OEM air box to get it to fit. I no longer have the air box. Do I need to buy a new one before I bring it in? Would they really deny a fuel tank claim because of an air filter? Got an SEL light yesterday for both pre cat o2 sensors.


Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
MrDrCr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 09:49 PM   #283
briangl92
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Scotts Valley
Posts: 9,515
My Ride: A08 ZSP ZPP SULEV
***The Official M56 SULEV Warranty Documents, Check-in, and Questions Thread***

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDrCr View Post
I have an 03' 325i SULEV. I've noticed a drop in MPG, shuddering when going up hills, taking longer to start after sitting for more than a couple of hours and the gas pumps shut down on me a lot way before the tank is full. I've even had it stall out on me 3 times with aggressive takeoffs right after filling the tank up. I'm thinking the issue is a failing fuel pump. I plan on taking I in to have it diagnosed. The only performance mod I have is a huge K&N air filter. I took out the whole OEM air box to get it to fit. I no longer have the air box. Do I need to buy a new one before I bring it in? Would they really deny a fuel tank claim because of an air filter? Got an SEL light yesterday for both pre cat o2 sensors.


Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
If you had stalling, there should be more codes than a pre-cat O2. With that said, it sounds like its probably a fuel pump. What's your mileage?

With regards to the air filter, I honestly don't know what they would say.


Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
briangl92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 10:01 PM   #284
MrDrCr
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Nevada
Posts: 12
My Ride: 325i
I just turned 100k.
MrDrCr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 10:13 PM   #285
MrDrCr
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Nevada
Posts: 12
My Ride: 325i
***The Official M56 SULEV Warranty Documents, Check-in, and Questions Thread***

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1379387559.819837.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	189.2 KB
ID:	526882


Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
MrDrCr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 10:20 PM   #286
briangl92
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Scotts Valley
Posts: 9,515
My Ride: A08 ZSP ZPP SULEV
***The Official M56 SULEV Warranty Documents, Check-in, and Questions Thread***

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDrCr View Post
I just turned 100k.
I would try my hardest to get a hold of that factory air box or try and borrow a 330 one while you take it in.


Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

Last edited by briangl92; 09-16-2013 at 10:21 PM.
briangl92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 11:15 PM   #287
MrDrCr
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Nevada
Posts: 12
My Ride: 325i
***The Official M56 SULEV Warranty Documents, Check-in, and Questions Thread***

Ill have to see if my neighbor will let me borrow his. Thanks.


Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
MrDrCr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 11:15 AM   #288
briangl92
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Scotts Valley
Posts: 9,515
My Ride: A08 ZSP ZPP SULEV
FYI, I believe the O2 sensors are considered wear items.
briangl92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 06:15 PM   #289
SoCaLe39
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: SoCal
Posts: 925
My Ride: 06 M5 & 03 325i
In talks with Crevier BMW about getting the gas tank warrantied. I buy a lot of parts from them and built a relationship with many of the guys over there. Only thing I've noticed is an occasional slow start. Going out on a limb and keeping fingers crossed this will be enough for them to do some warranty work. Setting up appt in two weeks.

Lovin the car so far. Will be detailing the engine bay this weekend.
SoCaLe39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 06:37 PM   #290
MrDrCr
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Nevada
Posts: 12
My Ride: 325i
I've got an appointment this coming Wed. to have the fuel pump and gas tank diagnosed. Replaced the o2 sensors today just to be sure they can't blame them for my cars symptoms. If any one has had luck getting a fuel tank replaced I would appreciate some help. Maybe I could get a copy of the paperwork you got from the dealer stating it is covered under the extended SULEV warranty after they did the work. I'm in Reno and haven't dealt with this BMW dealer much , don't know what to expect.
MrDrCr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 12:59 PM   #291
MrDrCr
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Nevada
Posts: 12
My Ride: 325i
***The Official M56 SULEV Warranty Documents, Check-in, and Questions Thread***

I just left Reno BMW and paid $150 for them to tell me my carbon filter is plugged causing my fuel issues. I asked if that is considered emissions related and they said yes. I show them the extended warranty and they say since it's not registered in California it's not under the warranty any longer. I say BS it says retailed, leased or registered in one of the applicable states. Mine was bought in Ca.


Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
MrDrCr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 01:08 PM   #292
briangl92
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Scotts Valley
Posts: 9,515
My Ride: A08 ZSP ZPP SULEV
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDrCr View Post
I've got an appointment this coming Wed. to have the fuel pump and gas tank diagnosed. Replaced the o2 sensors today just to be sure they can't blame them for my cars symptoms. If any one has had luck getting a fuel tank replaced I would appreciate some help. Maybe I could get a copy of the paperwork you got from the dealer stating it is covered under the extended SULEV warranty after they did the work. I'm in Reno and haven't dealt with this BMW dealer much , don't know what to expect.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDrCr View Post
I just left Reno BMW and paid $150 for them to tell me my carbon filter is plugged causing my fuel issues. I asked if that is considered emissions related and they said yes. I show them the extended warranty and they say since it's not registered in California it's not under the warranty any longer. I say BS it says retailed, leased or registered in one of the applicable states. Mine was bought in Ca.


Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
I had the same filter replaced - it's a charcoal filter that filters out the hydrocarbons. It was roughly a $700 repair.

You have a few options - you can contact BMWNA and see what they have to say. I've heard mixed results from this, but it would be worth a shot, or you could disconnect the filter all together. It is located at the back of the car on the passenger side behind a plastic panel; it takes up the same space as the rear muffler, just on the opposite side of the spare tire well.

I'm not sure of what side effects could occur with disconnecting the filter - the dealership disconnected mine during diagnosis of my fuel filling problem, drove it to the gas station, and back to the dealership.

I wonder how the M54 and S54 vent their tanks. I'll check into it and see if there's another option.
briangl92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 01:19 PM   #293
briangl92
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Scotts Valley
Posts: 9,515
My Ride: A08 ZSP ZPP SULEV
It looks as though the M54s and S54s share the same system, but it doesn't look like it would be compatible with the M56. I would start with contacting BMWNA. Even the M54 parts aren't cheap.

M54:
http://realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?...20&hg=16&fg=10

M56:
http://realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?...35&hg=16&fg=10
briangl92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 01:58 PM   #294
MrDrCr
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Nevada
Posts: 12
My Ride: 325i
***The Official M56 SULEV Warranty Documents, Check-in, and Questions Thread***

Thanks for the help. The service manager at BMW is emailing BMWNA for me. He wants to get it covered too. They're being super helpful now. I also found the hose on eBay for $89. I need to get it covered or I'm selling the car. I'm not risking an $8000 gas tank if the fuel filter or pump fail.


Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
MrDrCr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 02:02 PM   #295
briangl92
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Scotts Valley
Posts: 9,515
My Ride: A08 ZSP ZPP SULEV
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDrCr View Post
Thanks for the help. The service manager at BMW is emailing BMWNA for me. He wants to get it covered too. They're being super helpful now. I also found the hose on eBay for $89. I need to get it covered or I'm selling the car. I'm not risking an $8000 gas tank if the fuel filter or pump fail.


Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Just to clarify, this is a separate part from the tank/pump. It is a cylindrical canister filter. They plug up, either with liquid gasoline or with debris, and it causes an airlock within the tank that causes issues with filling and with pumping.
briangl92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 02:29 PM   #296
MrDrCr
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Nevada
Posts: 12
My Ride: 325i
***The Official M56 SULEV Warranty Documents, Check-in, and Questions Thread***

I'm just thinking ahead. If this isn't covered my fuel pump and filter won't be either and my car will be worthless because a $100 part will actually cost $8k to fix. Fingers crossed. I love my car. I'd hate to have to give her up.


Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
MrDrCr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 12:28 AM   #297
ROKCHOK46
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Texas
Posts: 6
My Ride: 2003 325ci
Intro to my SULEV

2003 325ci SULEV. I appreciate the info provided from this thread, but wish I had read more about SULEV before I bought it. Like most of you, I love my car, but I have 145k, so it's going to be sold in the next year. Does anyone think it is unethical to sell the SULEV without informing the purchaser about the issues related to the SULEV fuel pump replacement? Mine is damn near perfect with natural brown interior and runs like a striped ass ape. (not sure what that means, but an old friend of mine use to always say that)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Casa B Side Far inwork - Copy (640x381).jpg
Views:	20
Size:	76.0 KB
ID:	528681   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nat Brown Int.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	76.2 KB
ID:	528682  
__________________

South Texas 2003 325ci SULEV - Natural Brown Int.
ROKCHOK46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 01:26 AM   #298
gselsidi
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: fort lee
Posts: 517
My Ride: 2005 325i M56
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROKCHOK46 View Post
2003 325ci SULEV. I appreciate the info provided from this thread, but wish I had read more about SULEV before I bought it. Like most of you, I love my car, but I have 145k, so it's going to be sold in the next year. Does anyone think it is unethical to sell the SULEV without informing the purchaser about the issues related to the SULEV fuel pump replacement? Mine is damn near perfect with natural brown interior and runs like a striped ass ape. (not sure what that means, but an old friend of mine use to always say that)
If your a christian yes it is unethical. If you dont believe in god any ethics you do have is meaningless anyway so dont mention it.

My old acura that I sold, I told the guy everything that was wrong. How it was hit in the rear and there is subframe damage, even though I tried to fix it.

Good luck with your ethical dilemma.

Last edited by gselsidi; 09-29-2013 at 01:27 AM.
gselsidi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 01:33 AM   #299
gselsidi
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: fort lee
Posts: 517
My Ride: 2005 325i M56
Quote:
Originally Posted by briangl92 View Post
Just to clarify, this is a separate part from the tank/pump. It is a cylindrical canister filter. They plug up, either with liquid gasoline or with debris, and it causes an airlock within the tank that causes issues with filling and with pumping.
I have the same issue, dealer refused to warranty mine, saying the person before tried to modify it, I guess to try and fix the problem.

I have to double check my letter tomorrow, and mail it to bmw telling them im going to persue legal action and call every news channel in NYC, "help me howard" please help me lol.

Last edited by gselsidi; 09-29-2013 at 01:34 AM.
gselsidi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 11:01 AM   #300
gselsidi
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: fort lee
Posts: 517
My Ride: 2005 325i M56
I love your guys interiors, compared to my crappy beige with just a black dash. Not to mention the door handles are beige also, and they turn black from the dirt, from touching them lol. Not to mention my headliner in some spots is peeling off.

Last edited by gselsidi; 09-29-2013 at 11:05 AM.
gselsidi is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
m56, sulev

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Censor is OFF





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:54 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
(c) 1999 - 2011 performanceIX Inc - privacy policy - terms of use