E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke

Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke
Discuss supercharging, turbocharging and even nitrous and water injection here.
Sponsored by Active Autowerke

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-25-2013, 08:23 PM   #1
GrayZHP

My Ride: 330 ZHP
AA stage 1 Questions (330ZHP)

Ive decided to pull the trigger and enter the FI scene. After a lot of research i have decided that the AA kit is the best fit for my application.

I was hoping some of the regular FI junkies around here or AA staff/reps would know if there are any promotions either going on or about to start up within the next month.

Due to the lack of tools i own at school, my installation options are very limited as i dont trust 99% of shops. I prefer to do all the work myself so my current plan is to drive about 4-5 hours to my brothers so we can use his tools and garage.

The problem I have is with the ECU. since I am a FI noob i figured I would ask anyway. Is it possible to drive the car without any chance of damage or problems with hurting the kit 4-5 hours on the highway, with the supercharger tune on the stock engine, or the supercharger install on the stock ecu.

the drive would be 4-5 hours and less than 300 miles of highway cruising. My instincts and knowledge are telling me its a bad idea, but a conversation about it cant hurt. Any help is appreciated, thank guys
GrayZHP is online now   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 08-25-2013, 09:28 PM   #2
330Cole

My Ride: 01' 330Ci

Correct me if I'm wrong (anyone*) but I believe AA can send you a Simmons tool which flashes your Ecu. So drive to the shop, do your install, plug the Simmons tool with a stage one sc tune, and drive back with everything in place the way it should be.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
  • Lemforder ZHP HD Control Arms
  • Meyle HD FCAB
  • TMS Subframe Reinforcement kit
  • TMS Swaybars F/R & Adjustable Endlinks
  • 3.38 Open Diff
  • BMW Performance SSK
  • BB Gen 3 Headers
  • Eisenmann Race Exhaust
  • 3.5" Longtube CAI
  • 3.5" Conforti Eurosport Filter
  • Shark Injector
  • Stoptech Slotted Rotors
  • TMS SS Brakelines
  • ST Sport Pads
330Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 11:43 PM   #3
GrayZHP

Re: AA stage 1 Questions (330ZHP)

Hmm had no idea about that, I'll ask them when I call that would be perfect for me.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using BimmerApp mobile app
Old 08-26-2013, 12:28 AM   #4
AMG-ETR
///AMG ETR

My Ride: S54B32 On Boost
Send a message via MSN to AMG-ETR
Don't drive the car without a proper tune for your setup.

AMG-ETR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 09:10 AM   #5
vsvahia007

My Ride: E46 M3 02 Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayZHP View Post
Ive decided to pull the trigger and enter the FI scene. After a lot of research i have decided that the AA kit is the best fit for my application.

I was hoping some of the regular FI junkies around here or AA staff/reps would know if there are any promotions either going on or about to start up within the next month.

Due to the lack of tools i own at school, my installation options are very limited as i dont trust 99% of shops. I prefer to do all the work myself so my current plan is to drive about 4-5 hours to my brothers so we can use his tools and garage.

The problem I have is with the ECU. since I am a FI noob i figured I would ask anyway. Is it possible to drive the car without any chance of damage or problems with hurting the kit 4-5 hours on the highway, with the supercharger tune on the stock engine, or the supercharger install on the stock ecu.

the drive would be 4-5 hours and less than 300 miles of highway cruising. My instincts and knowledge are telling me its a bad idea, but a conversation about it cant hurt. Any help is appreciated, thank guys
I am glad to hear you pulled the trigger and picked up our Active Autowerke Stage 1 Supercharger Kit. As for the ECU you have 2 options first one is to pull out the ECU from your vehicle and send it to us or you can purchase a Simon Handheld programmer. Please feel free to PM me if you have any questions. Looking forward to hear from you and see this build posted up.

Last edited by vsvahia007; 08-26-2013 at 09:12 AM.
vsvahia007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 12:38 PM   #6
BMW_Knight

My Ride: STG2 ZHP,E70 X5(DD)
Send a message via ICQ to BMW_Knight Send a message via AIM to BMW_Knight
Stage II will follow closely. Trust me.

Thanks to: www.getbmwparts.com www.aatuning.com www.toyotires.com
Eurowerkz Mid-Atlantic Regional Director
Join the Eurowerkz Facebook Fan Site : Click Here
Need your car coded with Euro Options? (Remote Windows up, Corner delete, DRL off, etc.) PM Me
BMW_Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 09:03 PM   #7
pokeybritches

My Ride: G-Power Z4M, VF Z4
Don't drive the car without a tune. While you aren't going to be generating a lot of boost at low rpm, you're going to be using larger injectors than the ECU is expecting. It will run extremely rich.

Have an alternate method of transportation available in case the install doesn't work out over a weekend. You're taking a big risk in hoping that you don't break any parts (especially as a "FI noob" that's going to DIY); that everything that was supposed to be included with the kit actually was; that you guys don't get hung up on any piece in the instructions and have to wait on tech support; and you're able to get the job done (including all troubleshooting) in the time allotted while still "taking your time" with everything. If you think it will take a weekend, plan for three.

G Power Z4M and VF Engineering Z4 3.0i
pokeybritches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 09:14 PM   #8
GrayZHP

Lots of good information thanks guys!

im planning on doing the install over a long 5 day weekend. Im confident that if I have all of the parts I will be able to get in done in time. Good to know my suspicions on not driving it without the proper tune were right though. I do have a back up plan incase everything goes wrong, which isnt uncommon with any type of car work haha.

The simon handheld is a nice idea, but for the price it might just be a lot easier to wait the extra week and ship the ecu out and just park the car and swap with my brother for a week.

Cant deny that im a FI noob, but hey you gotta start somewhere. from my experience i usually prepare for double the time that the install is supposed to take. Luckily i know e36s and e46s inside and out so im banking on that helping with a decent portion of the install. I wouldnt plan on installing it myself if i wasnt sure i could do it.

pokeybritches, i like your advice if i cant get a deal on the kit and simon handheld the 2 week option seems to be the path to take. Bottom line i want to do it right the first time.

Does anyone know from the past years what AA's typical promotions during this time of year are???

Last edited by GrayZHP; 08-26-2013 at 09:15 PM.
Old 08-26-2013, 10:26 PM   #9
pokeybritches

My Ride: G-Power Z4M, VF Z4
I would get the Simon, especially if you plan to upgrade. I haven't used it before, but I think it would be a great troubleshooting tool should you need it. Nothing like being able to flash in the tune yourself. Just make sure you have a good battery charger.

G Power Z4M and VF Engineering Z4 3.0i
pokeybritches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 08:55 AM   #10
Viral@ActiveAutowerke
Sponsor

My Ride: E46 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW_Knight View Post
Stage II will follow closely. Trust me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokeybritches View Post
Don't drive the car without a tune. While you aren't going to be generating a lot of boost at low rpm, you're going to be using larger injectors than the ECU is expecting. It will run extremely rich.

Have an alternate method of transportation available in case the install doesn't work out over a weekend. You're taking a big risk in hoping that you don't break any parts (especially as a "FI noob" that's going to DIY); that everything that was supposed to be included with the kit actually was; that you guys don't get hung up on any piece in the instructions and have to wait on tech support; and you're able to get the job done (including all troubleshooting) in the time allotted while still "taking your time" with everything. If you think it will take a weekend, plan for three.
You are correct please do not drive the vehicle with the Stock ECU File on a Supercharged vehicle. Also if your going to be working on your car make sure you have a spare or beater car to get you around.

Quote:
Lots of good information thanks guys!

im planning on doing the install over a long 5 day weekend. Im confident that if I have all of the parts I will be able to get in done in time. Good to know my suspicions on not driving it without the proper tune were right though. I do have a back up plan incase everything goes wrong, which isnt uncommon with any type of car work haha.

The simon handheld is a nice idea, but for the price it might just be a lot easier to wait the extra week and ship the ecu out and just park the car and swap with my brother for a week.

Cant deny that im a FI noob, but hey you gotta start somewhere. from my experience i usually prepare for double the time that the install is supposed to take. Luckily i know e36s and e46s inside and out so im banking on that helping with a decent portion of the install. I wouldnt plan on installing it myself if i wasnt sure i could do it.

pokeybritches, i like your advice if i cant get a deal on the kit and simon handheld the 2 week option seems to be the path to take. Bottom line i want to do it right the first time.

Does anyone know from the past years what AA's typical promotions during this time of year are???
Congrats it was a pleasure speaking with you and getting all of your questions answered can't wait to see your build thread on your ZHP>.
Phone: 305.233.9300 Ext. 232 | Fax: 305-253-8921
Viral@ActiveAutowerke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 03:40 PM   #11
GrayZHP

I was able to finalize things with Viral, he was very helpful and made the process go as south as possible.

Look for my build thread in the next month or so, it'll be a very good comparison as the car is completely stock.

Old 09-10-2013, 04:35 PM   #12
Viral@ActiveAutowerke
Sponsor

Quote:
I was able to finalize things with Viral, he was very helpful and made the process go as south as possible.

Look for my build thread in the next month or so, it'll be a very good comparison as the car is completely stock.

It was a pleasure dealing with you as well. Sweet can't wait to see this build thread to be posted up.

Last edited by Viral@ActiveAutowerke; 09-10-2013 at 04:35 PM.
Old 09-10-2013, 04:55 PM   #13
Sedan Hussein

My Ride: e46
Nice pickup. I'll be following for sure

Sedan Hussein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 07:39 PM   #14
STORMER

My Ride: AA SC 98 M3

Most everything has been covered so I hope your install goes well and enjoy more power
Please be aware that regardless of what anybody says, very rarely is it "plug and play". Fi is a whole new world and one that has a learning curve. You are sure to run into something, somewhere. Before, during, after installation. With more power it will amplify any existing problems or weaknesses.
But it's a fun game to play, just watch your wallet!

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

360+rwhp

AA Stage 2, Arp2000, Underdrive Pulley, M50 Manifold, Cat Delete, Supersprint Exhaust, M5 Clutch w/ Lightweight Flywheel, Euro Fan, FK Coilovers, AEM Boost Gauge, Zhp Knob, Stoptech Brakes, R1 Rotors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetness View Post
You sir, just thread jacked the sh!t out of OP.
STORMER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 09:32 PM   #15
GrayZHP

My kit shipped our a couple days ago!!x can't wait for Monday. I'll be starting the build thread with some pictures of the kit and a link to the official build thread. Only a few more weeks until installation

Old 09-20-2013, 08:54 AM   #16
Viral@ActiveAutowerke
Sponsor

Quote:
My kit shipped our a couple days ago!!x can't wait for Monday. I'll be starting the build thread with some pictures of the kit and a link to the official build thread. Only a few more weeks until installation

Sweet can't wait to see build thread