E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 60 votes, 4.25 average. Display Modes
Old 09-12-2013, 08:48 PM   #381
CORVAIRWILD

My Ride: Diesel Subrban 325xi
Should I consider changing the valve body on my '03 325xi? 158k and seems to shift very well in my limited driving. Just got the tags, but no time to play with the "new" toy I bot in May, and Mrs drove home w "borrowed" tags
Old 09-12-2013, 10:53 PM   #382
CORVAIRWILD

Valve body ex doesn't have much info, just trans model number, no prices or year/application
Old 09-13-2013, 05:11 AM   #383
jrcarter_2000

My Ride: 323i
once you click on distributors and find one in your area they can give you price and other info
jrcarter_2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 07:13 AM   #384
CORVAIRWILD

I was just curious... I have 3 vehicles to sell b4 I can tinker with this one, and it needs a water pump, so may do the whole cooling system $$$... OT, but isn't the heater core plastic? I guess if the rad is fatigued, so would the HC? How hard is that to change? '03 325xi
Old 09-13-2013, 10:04 AM   #385
CORVAIRWILD

I think all the AWD xi's have the ZF
Old 09-13-2013, 10:06 PM   #386
BMWCaptain

Location: TEXAS - Where I give Real World advice and don't just criticize others. People here need to RESPECT other's opinions!
My Ride: 03 325iT SportWagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by CORVAIRWILD View Post
I was just curious... I have 3 vehicles to sell b4 I can tinker with this one, and it needs a water pump, so may do the whole cooling system $$$... OT, but isn't the heater core plastic? I guess if the rad is fatigued, so would the HC? How hard is that to change? '03 325xi
HC is not plastic. Radiator sides are though.

Rarely hear of HC going bad.

Engine swap, HG, tranny swap, GM & ZF tranny rebuilds, shocks, struts, brakes, WPs, Thermostats, belts, tensioners, fuel pumps, radiators, window regs, hoses, PS pump, Spark Plugs, VCGs, coils, fuel filters, CVVs, VANOS seals, rack, LCABs, Exp. Tanks, OFHGs, RCABs, OP, boots, ABS, GUIDOs, starter, A/C, DISA, Diff, SAP

Ultra Premium Grand 10 Star+ Super Duper BMW-pedic Sport Plus +++
BMWCaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 08:28 PM   #387
boostjunkie92

My Ride: 2004 330ci
Glad I found this
boostjunkie92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 10:27 AM   #388
Skeens43

My Ride: 2000 328i (4dr/auto)
It's a long story, but the dealership I bought my 2000 328i from is paying to have the reverse solenoid replaced for me. They admitted the tranny hadn't gone in reverse with them a couple times too and didn't tell me about it when I was buying it. I still don't have the car back so I have no way of determining which tranny I have for sure. I noticed once of the replies said the solenoid will NOT fix the problem and I should replace the valve body. Just wondering if someone could give me an idea of what a new or rebuilt valve body for either the GM or ZF tranny would cost me? Thanks!
Skeens43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 11:44 AM   #389
lszlszx

My Ride: 328i, XC70
Check out the link in post #380!
Old 09-20-2013, 08:47 PM   #390
dogdaysunrise

My Ride: Sechsundvierzig
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skeens43 View Post
It's a long story, but the dealership I bought my 2000 328i from is paying to have the reverse solenoid replaced for me. They admitted the tranny hadn't gone in reverse with them a couple times too and didn't tell me about it when I was buying it. I still don't have the car back so I have no way of determining which tranny I have for sure. I noticed once of the replies said the solenoid will NOT fix the problem and I should replace the valve body. Just wondering if someone could give me an idea of what a new or rebuilt valve body for either the GM or ZF tranny would cost me? Thanks!
I got mine done for 800 for a friend.
It didn't work at first. He couldn't even back out of the shop after replacing the solenoids. Then next morning and days and weeks after it worked but only on occasion. Over time it engaged more and more often.
Now 6 months later it works all the time.

I got a 2000 323ci with GM.

Last edited by dogdaysunrise; 09-20-2013 at 08:47 PM.
dogdaysunrise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 08:25 AM   #391
CORVAIRWILD

Sounds depressing, but at least it works now
Old 10-02-2013, 06:50 PM   #392
Skeens43

Well folks, it's back to the drawing board. The reverse solenoid replacement worked for two weeks and without warning, went out again tonight. Did learn this 2000 BMW 328i we have does have a ZF tranny instead of the GM. I'm calling the mechanic bck tomorrow and I really don't know what direction I should go with it. I'm really confused about what to do. Is it better to bite the bullit and throw in a rebuild tranny or since the other gears shift fine and the reverse gear "exists" in the tranny, just not shifting into it (again), would replacing the entire valve body be the most economical route to take? I'd appreciate any advise.
Old 10-02-2013, 07:01 PM   #393
BMWCaptain

Location: TEXAS - Where I give Real World advice and don't just criticize others. People here need to RESPECT other's opinions!
Quote:
Well folks, it's back to the drawing board. The reverse solenoid replacement worked for two weeks and without warning, went out again tonight. Did learn this 2000 BMW 328i we have does have a ZF tranny instead of the GM. I'm calling the mechanic bck tomorrow and I really don't know what direction I should go with it. I'm really confused about what to do. Is it better to bite the bullit and throw in a rebuild tranny or since the other gears shift fine and the reverse gear "exists" in the tranny, just not shifting into it (again), would replacing the entire valve body be the most economical route to take? I'd appreciate any advise.
It is more than likely the reverse drum. Find out how much the tranny shops will charge to rebuild your tranny and replace the reverse drum. You can buy a used tranny, or have this one rebuilt. Or if you really want to become dangerous, you can learn to repair it yourself.

Engine swap, HG, tranny swap, GM & ZF tranny rebuilds, shocks, struts, brakes, WPs, Thermostats, belts, tensioners, fuel pumps, radiators, window regs, hoses, PS pump, Spark Plugs, VCGs, coils, fuel filters, CVVs, VANOS seals, rack, LCABs, Exp. Tanks, OFHGs, RCABs, OP, boots, ABS, GUIDOs, starter, A/C, DISA, Diff, SAP

Old 10-02-2013, 08:45 PM   #394
CORVAIRWILD

Pricey decisions... I feel your pain...
Old 10-02-2013, 09:20 PM   #395
Skeens43

Thanks to all the people who have replied to my post. Just another quick update. After three weeks of no issues with the replaced reverse solenoid, without warning it stopped working. I had a few minutes so I posted about it. Get this, my son drives the car home and just as uneventful as it going out, it starts going back into reverese again! What the heck? I read about the reverse drums going bad on the ZF transmissions (which this car has), yet it sounds like when you lose reverse in the ZF most everyone says its the drum and when it's gone it's gone. So why has mine gone out, started working again, out again, replace the solenoid, working again, out again tonight, yet now it's working??????? What is happening with this car????
Old 10-02-2013, 10:04 PM   #396
CORVAIRWILD

Is there a port on the tranny to connect a pressure gauge?
Old 10-03-2013, 07:14 AM   #397
Mr Podman

My Ride: E46 Coupe
Updated link to the Sonnax article by Bob Warnke discussing causes for no reverse for the GM 5L40E transmission:

A good read.

http://www.sonnax.com/publications/t...reverse-or-tcc
Mr Podman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 07:17 AM   #398
CORVAIRWILD

But isn't this a ZF? Does the same thinking apply?
Old 10-03-2013, 04:50 PM   #399
BMWCaptain

Quote:
Thanks to all the people who have replied to my post. Just another quick update. After three weeks of no issues with the replaced reverse solenoid, without warning it stopped working. I had a few minutes so I posted about it. Get this, my son drives the car home and just as uneventful as it going out, it starts going back into reverese again! What the heck? I read about the reverse drums going bad on the ZF transmissions (which this car has), yet it sounds like when you lose reverse in the ZF most everyone says its the drum and when it's gone it's gone. So why has mine gone out, started working again, out again, replace the solenoid, working again, out again tonight, yet now it's working??????? What is happening with this car????
You need to do some sluething to get to YOUR problem:

Drop your pan and filter and see if you find fragments of the reverse drum in the pan, etc. You may have to drop your valve body as well if there are none in the pan.

If you find the fragments, it is your drum.
If you do not find any drum fragments, then it is the solenoid or valve body.

This is one way to further narrow down your problem.

Old 10-03-2013, 05:04 PM   #400
Mango
A full five stars, son

My Ride: M54B30
I would get a used transmission or something.

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
neilgotastickiedthread!, no reverse, reverse, tranny, transmission