E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > ///M3 Forum

///M3 Forum
The BMW E46 ///M3 is the M version E46 and puts out an amazing 333 HP and 262 lb-ft of torque at stock specs! There are an amazing amount of modifications for both the coupe and convertible models so read up and get started modifying your cars today!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-19-2013, 05:51 PM   #21
steven808

My Ride: 2004 BMW 330i ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by taylor192 View Post
Why are we still discussing this? Stop posting, go replace the bolt on the diff! If you cannot do it, find someone who can or tow it to a shop.

Cross your fingers the bolt backed out. Otherwise you'll probably need to drop the subframe to extract the broken bolt.
lol. Well said! But I have started working on that.

For anyone else that runs into this problem, here are all the parts you need:

Front bolt with washer 33 17 7 840 535
Rear Bolt 23 00 1 222 891. You need 2 of these.
Washer for rear bolts 07 11 9 931 021. 2 of these too.

I called up my stealership and they never let me down. First they don't have the part in stock, they'll have to order it and it'll take 2 days. Second, they quoted me $15 per rear bolt, and a few dollars for the washers. And they have a minimum 1 hour labor charge at $150/hour to install the bolt. They said they can cut me a deal and only charge for 30 minutes as a minimum. So I'm looking at $100 minimum and 2 day's without a car, best case scenario.

The only other shop in town, hasn't returned my call. And after that, the next closest BMW certified mechanic is the one 100 miles away, who did the maintenance 2 days ago.

Oh this was great help too. But I don't have any tools, but someone else that has this problem might: http://m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=345096
steven808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 07:03 PM   #22
Firstboost

My Ride: 2006 Tiag ZCP
Quote:
Why are we still discussing this?
Because this is a discussion forum?
Firstboost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 01:44 AM   #23
taylor192

My Ride: 2003.5 M3
Re: Loud "thunk", now running horrible, 2 days after routine maintenance

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven808 View Post
lol. Well said! But I have started working on that.

For anyone else that runs into this problem, here are all the parts you need:

Front bolt with washer 33 17 7 840 535
Rear Bolt 23 00 1 222 891. You need 2 of these.
Washer for rear bolts 07 11 9 931 021. 2 of these too.

I called up my stealership and they never let me down. First they don't have the part in stock, they'll have to order it and it'll take 2 days. Second, they quoted me $15 per rear bolt, and a few dollars for the washers. And they have a minimum 1 hour labor charge at $150/hour to install the bolt. They said they can cut me a deal and only charge for 30 minutes as a minimum. So I'm looking at $100 minimum and 2 day's without a car, best case scenario.

The only other shop in town, hasn't returned my call. And after that, the next closest BMW certified mechanic is the one 100 miles away, who did the maintenance 2 days ago.

Oh this was great help too. But I don't have any tools, but someone else that has this problem might: http://m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=345096
Do you have a friend with a jack, stands, and a socket set? If so you can have this done in an hour, including drinking beers... that is if the bolt just backed out.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 09-20-2013, 02:59 AM   #24
steven808

Quote:
Do you have a friend with a jack, stands, and a socket set? If so you can have this done in an hour, including drinking beers... that is if the bolt just backed out.

Actually I do have a friend with that. And that will be the plan. But I actually had to special order the bolts from getbmwparts.com today, so I'm down and out for a few days. No shop around me carries the bolt I need, bmw dealership either. I'm hoping that the bolt just backed out as well. Either way, I can't do anything until the new bolts get here. Order a few extra too. Uh, times like this living on an island sucks.
Old 09-20-2013, 06:56 AM   #25
XIinSC

My Ride: 2004 M3 98 M3
Make sure you Loctite™ the bolts in when you do them.
I used the red version on mine just to be safe.
XIinSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 08:01 AM   #26
choxor

My Ride: JDM
Quote:
Actually I do have a friend with that. And that will be the plan. But I actually had to special order the bolts from getbmwparts.com today, so I'm down and out for a few days. No shop around me carries the bolt I need, bmw dealership either. I'm hoping that the bolt just backed out as well. Either way, I can't do anything until the new bolts get here. Order a few extra too. Uh, times like this living on an island sucks.
Having a friend help is definitely the best solution. Good luck.
Old 09-22-2013, 09:02 PM   #27
steven808

What could have been possibly damaged by a result of this missing bolt? When I do get it installed, hopefully it's good enough to drive to a shop. But what possible damage should they be looking for? Thanks!
Old 09-22-2013, 11:45 PM   #28
taylor192

My Ride: 2003.5 M3

Quote:
What could have been possibly damaged by a result of this missing bolt? When I do get it installed, hopefully it's good enough to drive to a shop. But what possible damage should they be looking for? Thanks!
Axles could have rubbed, boots might be torn. Otherwise not much else interferes with the diff.

Old 09-24-2013, 02:13 PM   #29
steven808

"Axles could have rubbed, boots might be torn." - Sing to tune of apple bottom jeans, haha. Thanks everyone for their help again, still waiting on parts, friend and beer.
Old 09-24-2013, 02:27 PM   #30
nawewawe

My Ride: 03 M3 Hardtop/Vert
Ill be scared to change my smg fluid just because its pressurized and a bad change can cause air in the smg lines, and using proper smg fluid is important. Check differential fluid and make sure the fluid is correct I used royal purple in my diff. Also try checking differential bushings. Good Luck man
Old 09-24-2013, 07:51 PM   #31
Teslazerok

My Ride: 2003 M3 6SPD
The differential is clearly well out of it's mounting position, I'd say make sure you check your driveline for damage in front of the diff (driveshaft, guibo, etc)as well as the output shafts.

Check with the shop if they touched the diff mount bolts at all, I don't see why they would have, but you never know. Maybe they found it was loose and then overtorqued it causing it to sheer off after.
Teslazerok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 01:36 AM   #32
GcD

My Ride: M3
What shop worked on your car?
Old 10-07-2013, 08:25 PM   #33
steven808

Parts arrived, beer got cold, and my buddy had all the right tools! Lined up the differential with a jack, screwed the diff bolt in, and all is well again! It actually runs better than it did when I fight bought it. I think the diff bolt was loose the entire time and finally fell out years later. what I do notice is that there is no longer a small thump when releasing the gas as I decelerate. this used to be a small problem that I never checked in to. But I think this fixed it.

Thanks everyone! if you have a small thump at low speeds while decelerating, double check your diff bolts are torqued to 61 pounds.