E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Health & Fitness

Health & Fitness
Discuss any topics related to heath and fitness here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-23-2013, 12:28 AM   #41
dwass325

My Ride: CTA
Send a message via AIM to dwass325
FYI for those dieting...

Quote:
Originally Posted by XKxRome0ox View Post
oh snap
He's right though.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacques chirac View Post
I don't see what is ridiculous by robbing with a sword.A sword in one od the most lethal wepon !!!

It's more easy to kill with a sword than with a gun.

A sword is more frightening than toy-looking gun like glock.

robbing with a sword is a good thing
dwass325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 06:57 AM   #42
bAby norAA

My Ride: 01 BMW 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by XKxRome0ox View Post
oh snap
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwass325 View Post
He's right though.

It's harsh, yes, but it is the truth. On most online forums and even in most gyms. The guys who regurgitate the same info over and over because they read it somewhere or learned about it in a nutrition course are usually the ones who look like they have never worked out a day in their lives.

I know there are intelligent guys here on the forum, i'm only talking about a select few that i've read a lot of their comments after seeing their selfies in their progress pics.

Regurgitating info is great, but putting it to practice with yourself and others is where real knowledge comes into play

| VF Supercharged Stage 1.5| Southbend Stage 2 Clutch | ZHP Cams | Technik Headers |

Last edited by bAby norAA; 09-23-2013 at 07:06 AM.
bAby norAA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 10:33 AM   #43
DylloS

My Ride: nothing
I woke up today and it was cold out. I'm eating everything I see for the next few months.
DylloS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 11:08 AM   #44
jinwu57

My Ride: bmw325 ci
^hate you! I crave carbs like a mofo
jinwu57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 11:34 AM   #45
dabears

My Ride: 2003 BMW M3
FYI for those dieting...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bAby norAA View Post
It's harsh, yes, but it is the truth. On most online forums and even in most gyms. The guys who regurgitate the same info over and over because they read it somewhere or learned about it in a nutrition course are usually the ones who look like they have never worked out a day in their lives.

I know there are intelligent guys here on the forum, i'm only talking about a select few that i've read a lot of their comments after seeing their selfies in their progress pics.

Regurgitating info is great, but putting it to practice with yourself and others is where real knowledge comes into play
Bit late to the party, and I agree about the semantics bit. I'm definitely in the category of "doesn't walk the talk" when you just skim the surface. And I'm actually very upfront and honest about it. I work out hard, and I've gone to lengths with nutrition most people couldn't. Sure I've made mistakes, but I seem to have a frustrating body type when it comes to putting on and retaining mass. But it isn't impossible, it's just been painfully slow over my 3 years of lifting, which haven't been perfect due to other things in my life. At the same time, I also wouldn't consider myself weak or that I don't look like I lift.

All that being said, I'm a bit jaded when it comes to listening to anyone when it comes to nutrition. The dogmatic culture of bodybuilding (six meals a day, low fat high carb, saturated fat is bad etc) that was preached for years will do that. So yes, while it's good to listen to someone who looks the part, I like to deal in cold hard facts. And I don't care if the pubmed author is some rail thin kid, if he's got sound theories backed by clinical evidence then that's better than someone who's deadlifting 6 plates and spouting off bro science to the subsceptible.

There are many ways to skin a cat, and controlling nutrient partitioning without a deficit is effective for fat loss (within reason) just like a deficit is effective for fat loss without controlling macros (within reason). That's all I was getting at.

Old 09-25-2013, 12:01 PM   #46
dwass325

My Ride: CTA
Send a message via AIM to dwass325
Quote:
Originally Posted by dabears View Post
Bit late to the party, and I agree about the semantics bit. I'm definitely in the category of "doesn't walk the talk" when you just skim the surface. And I'm actually very upfront and honest about it. I work out hard, and I've gone to lengths with nutrition most people couldn't. Sure I've made mistakes, but I seem to have a frustrating body type when it comes to putting on and retaining mass. But it isn't impossible, it's just been painfully slow over my 3 years of lifting, which haven't been perfect due to other things in my life. At the same time, I also wouldn't consider myself weak or that I don't look like I lift.

All that being said, I'm a bit jaded when it comes to listening to anyone when it comes to nutrition. The dogmatic culture of bodybuilding (six meals a day, low fat high carb, saturated fat is bad etc) that was preached for years will do that. So yes, while it's good to listen to someone who looks the part, I like to deal in cold hard facts. And I don't care if the pubmed author is some rail thin kid, if he's got sound theories backed by clinical evidence then that's better than someone who's deadlifting 6 plates and spouting off bro science to the subsceptible.

There are many ways to skin a cat, and controlling nutrient partitioning without a deficit is effective for fat loss (within reason) just like a deficit is effective for fat loss without controlling macros (within reason). That's all I was getting at.

I - perhaps mistakenly - always though "bro science" was generally defined as facts and theories repeated by those who can't perform, i.e. a 140lb guy telling a bodybuilder pulling six plates that whatever facilitated him pulling six plates is wrong.

If eating six meals a day is considered "bro science" and facilitates me pulling six plates, sign me up for all the "bro science" the world has to offer.

You're free to disagree with me on this, but when dealing with athletic performance, the only "cold, hard facts" are whether or not the athlete is performing. Until an approach translates into athlete performance - and this goes for Intermittent Fasting or any other approach - it's just random facts and witty writing. All style, no substance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacques chirac View Post
I don't see what is ridiculous by robbing with a sword.A sword in one od the most lethal wepon !!!

It's more easy to kill with a sword than with a gun.

A sword is more frightening than toy-looking gun like glock.

robbing with a sword is a good thing
dwass325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 12:11 PM   #47
dabears

My Ride: 2003 BMW M3
FYI for those dieting...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwass325 View Post
I - perhaps mistakenly - always though "bro science" was generally defined as facts and theories repeated by those who can't perform, i.e. a 140lb guy telling a bodybuilder pulling six plates that whatever facilitated him pulling six plates is wrong.

If eating six meals a day is considered "bro science" and facilitates me pulling six plates, sign me up for all the "bro science" the world has to offer.

You're free to disagree with me on this, but when dealing with athletic performance, the only "cold, hard facts" are whether or not the athlete is performing. Until an approach translates into athlete performance - and this goes for Intermittent Fasting or any other approach - it's just random facts and witty writing. All style, no substance.
I define bro science as anything that is repeated within the community enough that it becomes "fact", which is what I was referring to. Six meals a day works (so does 1 meal), but what I was getting at is that it was considered superior to other methods since it "increased the metabolism", which has been refuted plenty of times over the past few years. Again, to be clear, I'm referring to identical calorie intake split over 6 meals being metabolically superior to same calorie intake over 2 or 3 meals. If 6 meals fits your lifestyle, great. Especially if it allows you to get more calories in than two meals.

And by clinical trials I was referring to theories being proven in practice, under controlled scientific conditions, compared with someone who goes about things in an uncontrolled manner and sees success, and attributes said success to a specific method. That's bro science to me.

Old 09-25-2013, 02:31 PM   #48
bAby norAA

My Ride: 01 BMW 330i
Quote:

Quote:
I define bro science as anything that is repeated within the community enough that it becomes "fact", which is what I was referring to. Six meals a day works (so does 1 meal), but what I was getting at is that it was considered superior to other methods since it "increased the metabolism", which has been refuted plenty of times over the past few years. Again, to be clear, I'm referring to identical calorie intake split over 6 meals being metabolically superior to same calorie intake over 2 or 3 meals. If 6 meals fits your lifestyle, great. Especially if it allows you to get more calories in than two meals.

And by clinical trials I was referring to theories being proven in practice, under controlled scientific conditions, compared with someone who goes about things in an uncontrolled manner and sees success, and attributes said success to a specific method. That's bro science to me.

excellent posts (srs)

| VF Supercharged Stage 1.5| Southbend Stage 2 Clutch | ZHP Cams | Technik Headers |
bAby norAA is offline   Reply With Quote