E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke

Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke
Discuss supercharging, turbocharging and even nitrous and water injection here.
Sponsored by Active Autowerke

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-25-2013, 09:17 AM   #1
GrayZHP

My Ride: 330 ZHP
BMW 330ZHP AA Stage 1 Build Thread

So Monday (9/23/13) I finally received my AA Stage 1 Supercharger Kit. After a year long debate I finally decided I wanted to go Forced Induction vs NA with this car and after a lot of research the AA kit seemed to fit my needs the best.

I was able to speak with Viral at AA and he set me up with a package to suit my specific needs.

First off, the car this will be going on.

The car is a 2005 330CI with the ZHP Package and 6sp Manual.
As it sits the car is 100% stock with only 37XXX miles on it, in my opinions its a pretty good candidate for F/I.

When the box arrived the FedEx man was not too happy about carrying the 50lb box up 3 flights of stairs. AA requests someone to sign on delivery for the package, which is nice because i doubt anyone wants this sitting outside their door while they aren't home.

My first impression was that they played a quick game of tetris to get all the stuff in one box. Everything was very well packed and properly protected inside. I opted to get the Simon Handheld programmer because I will not be able to let the car sit during business days. The programmer also game with a flashdrive containing the software for retuning the car which is nice, ill let you guys know how well it all works once I get to that step.

The quality of all AA branded parts is beautiful, the finish on all of the pieces is really nice, and the welds all look excellent. Everything was properly packaged in bubble wrap and nothing arrived broken despite the box looking a little rough upon delivery. Some things that I was not expecting that came with the kit were new spark plugs and Active AutoWerke badging for my car. (Ill Post some shots of that tonight)

The Blower itself looks good, im not an expert on Superchargers, but the quality and precision it was built with looks great to me. The oil lines were closed and capped, as well as the intake and output ports were sealed off.

All of the pullies and belts looked good, as well as all of the little stuff the kit comes with. I dont predict a lot of runs to the hardware store for little things.

I still have a couple weeks until the install but im starting to get really excited, I've spent some time reading through the instructions that AA provides (They send you a CD with a PDF on it)
The instructions themselves are really detailed on all of the parts that need an explanation. The general stuff like removing the stock components from the car are fairly vague, but can be found in a Bently Manual. Personally I think its fine because I am very familiar with M52 and M54 engines. All of the little things such as how to install the S/C bracket and which hoese to cut and where to cut them, these steps are all very detailed with pictures so there doesn't seem to be any confusion on my end yet. Another nice detail they hit is the small differences between the early and late e46 models regarding the headlights, brake booster, and a few other small things.

All-in-all, i think the kit looks great and I cant wait to start the installation. Ill be updating this thread periodically and ill try to post a few more pictures tonight of the smaller items.
GrayZHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 09-25-2013, 11:00 AM   #2
Sedan Hussein

My Ride: e46
No better feeling than opening boxes of brand new parts. Kit looks great, can't wait to see it put on the ZHP!

Sedan Hussein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 11:06 AM   #3
stevenluczynski

My Ride: Is Steel Blue<3
My goal of the next year
Old 09-25-2013, 11:26 AM   #4
JQuick5156

My Ride: 2004 330 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenluczynski View Post
My goal of the next year
I was going to go FI then I saw the new m3/4...my money is now going to a down payment.

To OP everything looks great. Can only imagine you felt like a kid on Christmas.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 09-25-2013, 11:58 AM   #5
stevenluczynski

Quote:
Originally Posted by JQuick5156 View Post
I was going to go FI then I saw the new m3/4...my money is now going to a down payment.

To OP everything looks great. Can only imagine you felt like a kid on Christmas.

I've just decided that I'm going to keep this car forever as I am the first owner, and I'll get nothing for it now.

Old 09-25-2013, 03:05 PM   #6
Viral@ActiveAutowerke
Sponsor

My Ride: E46 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayZHP View Post
So Monday (9/23/13) I finally received my AA Stage 1 Supercharger Kit. After a year long debate I finally decided I wanted to go Forced Induction vs NA with this car and after a lot of research the AA kit seemed to fit my needs the best.

I was able to speak with Viral at AA and he set me up with a package to suit my specific needs.

First off, the car this will be going on.

The car is a 2005 330CI with the ZHP Package and 6sp Manual.
As it sits the car is 100% stock with only 37XXX miles on it, in my opinions its a pretty good candidate for F/I.

When the box arrived the FedEx man was not too happy about carrying the 50lb box up 3 flights of stairs. AA requests someone to sign on delivery for the package, which is nice because i doubt anyone wants this sitting outside their door while they aren't home.

My first impression was that they played a quick game of tetris to get all the stuff in one box. Everything was very well packed and properly protected inside. I opted to get the Simon Handheld programmer because I will not be able to let the car sit during business days. The programmer also game with a flashdrive containing the software for retuning the car which is nice, ill let you guys know how well it all works once I get to that step.

The quality of all AA branded parts is beautiful, the finish on all of the pieces is really nice, and the welds all look excellent. Everything was properly packaged in bubble wrap and nothing arrived broken despite the box looking a little rough upon delivery. Some things that I was not expecting that came with the kit were new spark plugs and Active AutoWerke badging for my car. (Ill Post some shots of that tonight)

The Blower itself looks good, im not an expert on Superchargers, but the quality and precision it was built with looks great to me. The oil lines were closed and capped, as well as the intake and output ports were sealed off.

All of the pullies and belts looked good, as well as all of the little stuff the kit comes with. I dont predict a lot of runs to the hardware store for little things.

I still have a couple weeks until the install but im starting to get really excited, I've spent some time reading through the instructions that AA provides (They send you a CD with a PDF on it)
The instructions themselves are really detailed on all of the parts that need an explanation. The general stuff like removing the stock components from the car are fairly vague, but can be found in a Bently Manual. Personally I think its fine because I am very familiar with M52 and M54 engines. All of the little things such as how to install the S/C bracket and which hoese to cut and where to cut them, these steps are all very detailed with pictures so there doesn't seem to be any confusion on my end yet. Another nice detail they hit is the small differences between the early and late e46 models regarding the headlights, brake booster, and a few other small things.

All-in-all, i think the kit looks great and I cant wait to start the installation. Ill be updating this thread periodically and ill try to post a few more pictures tonight of the smaller items.
Wow your ZHP looks absolutely incredible

Can't wait to see that Blower in Action
Phone: 305.233.9300 Ext. 232 | Fax: 305-253-8921
Viral@ActiveAutowerke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 05:36 PM   #7
JQuick5156

My Ride: 2004 330 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viral@ActiveAutowerke View Post

Oh ya make sure you take lots of pictures and maybe a few videos.

Old 09-25-2013, 05:50 PM   #8
6ick6ix6peed

My Ride: GUTTED & BlOWN
Opening a box from Active is better than Christmas. Congrats and enjoy!
6ick6ix6peed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 12:29 PM   #9
Viral@ActiveAutowerke
Sponsor

Quote:

+1

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6ick6ix6peed View Post
Hmmm I am guessing you are speaking from experience
Old 09-26-2013, 12:36 PM   #10
BMW_Knight

My Ride: STG2 ZHP,E70 X5(DD)
Send a message via ICQ to BMW_Knight Send a message via AIM to BMW_Knight
One clean ZHP! Really shows how good these cars look stoc

You will enjoy it!! I know I have enjoyed mine.

Thanks to: www.getbmwparts.com www.aatuning.com www.toyotires.com
Eurowerkz Mid-Atlantic Regional Director
Join the Eurowerkz Facebook Fan Site : Click Here
Need your car coded with Euro Options? (Remote Windows up, Corner delete, DRL off, etc.) PM Me
BMW_Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 01:21 PM   #11
GrayZHP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viral@ActiveAutowerke View Post

Thanks!!! Im unbelievable excited i feel like a little kid again. And dont worry there will be an abundance of pictures and plenty of videos. Gotta love the cameras on new cell phones haha.
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenluczynski View Post
My goal of the next year
Hopefully i can reinforce your goal with this build thread
Quote:

There will be more than enough by the time im done haha.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6ick6ix6peed View Post
Oh yeah, Christmas came way early for me this year!!!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW_Knight View Post
One clean ZHP! Really shows how good these cars look stoc

You will enjoy it!! I know I have enjoyed mine.
Thanks, Yeah im shocked at how good this car still looks even though its already 8 years old. The only thing it needs is more power, everything else is amazing.

Only another 9 days until the installation!!!!
Old 10-04-2013, 12:09 PM   #12
Viral@ActiveAutowerke
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayZHP View Post
Thanks!!! Im unbelievable excited i feel like a little kid again. And dont worry there will be an abundance of pictures and plenty of videos. Gotta love the cameras on new cell phones haha.

Hopefully i can reinforce your goal with this build thread

There will be more than enough by the time im done haha.

Oh yeah, Christmas came way early for me this year!!!!!

Thanks, Yeah im shocked at how good this car still looks even though its already 8 years old. The only thing it needs is more power, everything else is amazing.

Only another 9 days until the installation!!!!
And the count down begins
Old 10-04-2013, 01:11 PM   #13
GrayZHP

Re: BMW 330ZHP AA Stage 1 Build Thread

Tomorrow the build begins!

So far I have noticed one flaw with this kit. It does not fit in the trunk of my car haha

Sent from my SCH-I535 using BimmerApp mobile app
Old 10-05-2013, 07:58 PM   #14
GrayZHP

Just a small update for now, almost done for the night so ill post up all of the pictures a little later. Sadly a connector broke during the process so im kind of stuck while i try and source another. It is the connector after the purge valve, it snapped in half. If anyone knows of this part number please let me know it would help a lot. On the bright side check back in tonight for the full update of todays progress. After getting set up, we really picked up speed, I am expecting to finish up monday afternoon and have the car driving that night.

[IMG] photo photo.jpg[/IMG]
Old 10-06-2013, 11:18 AM   #15
pokeybritches

My Ride: G-Power Z4M, VF Z4
Is this the piece that connects to the front of the engine, just below the cover?

G Power Z4M and VF Engineering Z4 3.0i
pokeybritches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 12:59 PM   #16
GrayZHP

Re: BMW 330ZHP AA Stage 1 Build Thread

Nope it's infront if the brake booster on the other side if that plastic shield. Part of the breather system after the purge valve

Sent from my SCH-I535 using BimmerApp mobile app
Old 10-19-2013, 12:32 PM   #17
GrayZHP

Hey Guys, I want to apologize for more or less dropping or the face of the earth for a few weeks. I had a couple issues with the install that I will share tonight, when i got back home i was swamped with midterms and some medical issues that kept me busy for a while. On the brightside things have finally been sorted out and the kit is fully installed and running great. THis is the first day ive had some time to really sit down and compile all of the photos and information. So check back in later today or tonight and the build guide should be posted up.
Old 10-19-2013, 01:42 PM   #18
stevenluczynski

Can't wait!

Old 10-20-2013, 11:02 AM   #19
JohnBlaze

My Ride: Black Sunshine
Nice, looing forward to read that story and see all the pics. Congrats!
Old 10-20-2013, 02:06 PM   #20
GrayZHP

The supercharger is finally installed and the end result is nice. Not perfect sadly but it is nice. So to start off the build, i grouped up all of my tools which sadly was not enough. Just to give you guys some information about my experience so you can gauge and compare your knowledge with mine. I have what i would consider pretty darn good knowledge of m52 and m54 engines. I have done everything to an m52 and s52 with the exception of changing camshafts and disassembling the bottom end. Ive done a little bit of work on m54 engines but from what ive seen and experienced they are basically a perfected m52 with some nice additions to make them in my opinion a little easier to work on. The disassemby started out great, very easy and very quick no surprises there.
Everything came off nice and easy i only broke one small part which was my error but easily reaired.

This is a picture of the vacuum line attached at the "back of the manifold" as the AA directions indicate. The directions dont really help to identify which capped of nipple to attach to. On my ZHP there were 4, if you consult realOEM you can match up the sizes and this was the correct port.

As for the belt tensioner the last 3rd bolt is hidden from view compeltely and very close to several other bolts that look like they could be part of the tensioner. Here is a pictures of me pointing to the last one, this might just save you 10 minutes its a lot easier when you can see where that last bolt could be.

The cutting, extending, and modifying of the hoses is really easy and the AA instructions are pretty good for this, it shouldnt really cause any issues for anyone.

With everything disassembled and the new tensioner installed i began to mount up the supercharger and pulley to the bracket. The fitment on this was great, the bracket is of very high quality and provides a perfect fit with the alternator and bolt holes. Great work here AA it fit like a glove.

At this point, this is where the problems started. The bracket to apply pressure to the supercharger is not very fun to get in. The directions and parts provided dont help you figure out exactly which bolt to remove and mount the bracket to on the oil filter bracket. The bolt they also provided was twice as long as the one pulled out and would not fit so i had to source a new one.
Ill post up this picture when photobucket gets back online it wont let me upload anymore at the moment.

Fitment on the powersteering pump is tight as to be expected, but there is enough room and the modified bracket works with out any issues.

At this point, this is where the problems began to start. The fitment for the snail pipe and blow of pipe is terrible. I expected a lot more from a kit costing this much money. The 90 degree elbow on the bottom of the supercharger to the BOVpipe does not and will not fit. I called AA and to my surprise was able to talk with the engineer who designed the kit. We chatted for a while and he said its very difficult to get it to fit but to keep trying at different angles from the 45 degree silicone piping at the throttle body to the BOV pipe and to the 90 degree at the supercharger.

After that failed i called back and spoke with the same gentlement. He was very eager to help and the service i received on the phone was great. This time he told me to do it opposite from the instructions and attach the 90 degree elbow first then work my way back to the throttle body. Sadly this did not and would never work. Simply put the hose provided is around 1-2" too short. I called again and he told me that they shorten them before sending them out. Well this was a problem for me. There was no way this piece would fit so he advised me, because of my time crunch, to go to pep boys and purchase a longer 90 degree elbow. Great...... Well no pepboys so i went to napa and had to cut a longer 90 from a 2.5inch radiator hose. This part really bugged me. I consulted one last time with AA and he assured me that this is an acceptable replacement and would handle the heat and pressure just fine.

After that the following the order the instructions sugjest for putting on the BOV (which you must attach before putting the BOV pipe on because there is no way to tighten this in the engine bay. In short take the BOV pipe out again to put the BOV on. Now the instuctions say DESA can go on with the BOV this is wrong, there is no way that would ever be able to get the DESA back on with the BOV there. So make sure you fully connect the DESA before the BOV and BOV pipe go back on. There is not even close to enough room with the BOV on.

The snail pipe is also an extremely tight fit this takes a lot of time and lot of adjust the BOV pipe to get the lengths right to fit.

At this point i had spent to much time on the rest of the build. I had to leave the car and go back to school for a week. I ended up going with my back up plan and dropped the car off at Bimmers'R'us. They are a local BMW shop and ended up finishing the build for me. This install requires having a lot of the right and odd length extensions that i was unable to get. Fitting the BOVpipe Snail pipe and BOV is the harded part of this build.

i will provide some more pictures of some of the rest of the build. Such as that this kit is not a complete bolt on. On later e46s you are required to cut part of the inner fender to fit the filter and snail pipe extensions. I did not have the tools to cut through sheet metal with me so i could not do this on my own.

Bimmers'r'us also did some work to make the kit installation a bit cleaner such as notching out a couple sports for the oil lines for the supercharger. and routing the oil lines differently so they flow better instead of making awkward bends as per AA's instructions.

The amount of fluid provided for the supercharger ended up barely being enough. I had only a little bit of the bottle left after the system was fully bled. The installation of the oil canister and lines as well as the injectors is very easy and is a great fit. As is the oil cooler, mounts up nicely, the air shroud will not go back on though.

I also ordered the simons tool so i could install the software without shipping my ecu out. Once you download your original tune you have to send that information to AA so they can email you back the modified tune for the supercharger. this takes AA about a day to get back to you so plan accordingly.

Once the car was started for the first time it found its idle in a few seconds and held a few hundred RPM's higher than is used to. Its been about 2 weeks and the idle is consistently a few hundred RPMs higher than before not a big deal.

Onto my impressions of the kit fully installed and functioning when you start the car the idle will flutter for a couple seconds and settle this seems to happen every time i start the car. When idling it does not change after the first start though. The gas mileage gauge is wildly inaccurate, Im not sure if this was something that should have been corrected in the re-calibration of the computer or will sort it self out over time, but i will continue to watch it as im sure my car is not averaging 50mpgs. The belts are very noisy, even after continuing to adjust the supercharger after the break in period for the belt, it remains fairly noisy. Its not squealing but does provide a bit of noise that is definitely noticeable.

Now for the goods! the BOV is quite noisy, i personally like this, but other people may find it to be an issue. The car feels very solid, ive put about 400 miles on it since the install and it has yet to give me any issues and i like the way it drives. The power delivery under 3500 RPMs feels like you just had the car retuned, you cant feel any boost and the car drives great in the city and around town. The ZHP has a different camshaft from other 330s and i feel like AA was able to get some more low end power from 2000-3500rpms from them. After 3500rpms is where the smiles per gallon are greatly increased. You hear and feel the car making boost at this point and it simply takes off like a rocket. its obviously not e90 m3 but i would not hesitate in saying it is faster than e46 m3s. When calculating out the mileage there is no change in MPGs on the highway if you are able to keep from getting on the accelerator. Traction is a huge issue now as the car will easily spin all the way into 3rd gear. I have all season tires so for me 1st gear and 2nd gear has a lot of power cut from traction control.

Overall i am happy with the end result and do no regret supercharging the car at all, it has the extra power to make it the perfect daily driver. The power delivery is a bit strong at 3500rpms but it is also a lot of fun once you know what the car will do. Up top the car pulls extremely hard and will not stop pulling.

If i had to do it all over again im not sure i would go with AA again due to the fitment issues with the snail pipe and BOV pipe and the amount of lines and piping you have to cut and modify. I would be interested in knowning if the ZHPs are slightly different and can contribute to this. The ability to upgrade to a stage 2 kit is a nice option to have, but if i did it again i may look at other kits. I do feel a little let down from some of the fender cutting and fitment issues for having paid as much as i did though.

Thanks to bimmers'r'us for helping me out in a pinch, they are a bunch of great guys and they do some awesome work. Anyone in the St. Louis area should definitely check them out. Also thank to Viral for hooking me up with a promotional deal he and the whole AA staff was great to work with and seem very committed to what they do.

If anyone is looking to purchase the AA kit and wants to install it yourself, i would recommend having either experience installing a supercharger kit, or someone who has done this before to help you as it is not really a DIY for a first timer. Post up with any questions im happy to share my experience and ill post up more pictures soon exampling the rest of the build.

Last edited by GrayZHP; 10-20-2013 at 02:07 PM.

Tags
aa, diy, install, supercharger kit, zhp