E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 165 votes, 4.23 average.
Old 09-25-2013, 01:05 PM   #1521
BaliDawg

My Ride: 325Ci 530i 750iL
trans oil quick disconnect

Quote:
Originally Posted by djbradle View Post
Maybe the only in/out are the inlet and outlet cooling line quick connectors?
There are lots of places to drain the coolant: block drain plug, radiator drain plug, lower radiator hose, auto trans oil cooler. Disconnect all these for an optimal drain.

Those quick disconnects from the auto trans oil cooler will spill trans fluid, not drain coolant. You know that, right?

Also, be aware that once you open the cooling system you have committed yourself to the infamous coolant bleeding procedure.

Finally, if you are going to work on the cooling system then follow Mango's advice and completely replace everything that is aged and suspect. It's not that costly and will save you thousands from a blown head gasket. As me how I know...
BaliDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 04:40 PM   #1522
djbradle

My Ride: 2002 325 xit
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaliDawg View Post
There are lots of places to drain the coolant: block drain plug, radiator drain plug, lower radiator hose, auto trans oil cooler. Disconnect all these for an optimal drain.

Those quick disconnects from the auto trans oil cooler will spill trans fluid, not drain coolant. You know that, right?

Also, be aware that once you open the cooling system you have committed yourself to the infamous coolant bleeding procedure.

Finally, if you are going to work on the cooling system then follow Mango's advice and completely replace everything that is aged and suspect. It's not that costly and will save you thousands from a blown head gasket. As me how I know...
Ahhh Okay. I didn't know that the tranny fluid flowed to the heat exchanger. I thought it was the other way around and that coolant flowed around the tranny somehow but I never ventured to seek out the facts on that. Thanks for the correction! It is obvious know that my former opinion would never be a viable choice for tranny fluid cooling, ha!
djbradle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 05:14 PM   #1523
Mango
A full five stars, son

My Ride: M54B30
Make sure you replace your trans cooler o-rings if you disconnect it

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 11:27 PM   #1524
jmo69

My Ride: 2003 325xi e36 328is
I know it was put there for a reason, but is it possible to run without the auto trans coolant thermostat? What would be the consequences of deleting it?

2003 325xi StahlGrau metalic almost modless, wife's DD. 1998 328is lowered, X-brace, Sparco strut brace, HIDs, AEs, almost everything blacked out, my DD.
jmo69 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 12:05 AM   #1525
BaliDawg

My Ride: 325Ci 530i 750iL
Mango should probably have the final word on that question, but I can confirm that I removed it six months ago without issue. I believe it's there to preheat the trans fluid thereby reducing trans wear. It is really fragile (I broke mine during a cooling system overhaul) and restricts the coolant flow a bit.
BaliDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 12:13 AM   #1526
eneka

My Ride: 2003 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmo69 View Post
I know it was put there for a reason, but is it possible to run without the auto trans coolant thermostat? What would be the consequences of deleting it?
I ran mine without for quite some time while i waited for parts and time to put it in. Ran perfectly fine.
Old 09-27-2013, 01:35 AM   #1527
Mango
A full five stars, son

My Ride: M54B30
I'm no expert on the auto trans, but common sense tells me BMW put it there for a reason. You don't want the fluid too cold. Without it, seems the trans fluid would be over-cooled.

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 01:53 PM   #1528
gwnickerson

My Ride: 2006 330Ci Convertib
Expansion Tank Mounting Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mango View Post
Sure, I can add the mounting plate. In my experience, it's a robust part and is essentially just a plastic frame. should be fine if you're careful. I'll add it!

Since this part isn't a typical failure item, I didn't include it in the grand totals. It's $54 and somewhat substantially drives up the cost of the rebuild.
New to forums. Have read a lot about coolant leaks and expansion tank. Had a slow leak at the temperature sensor. It finally got big enough that I had to attend to it. There was indication of leakage at the top of the expansion tank and I fought my way through removing it. When I looked from the bottom after removing it, I saw that the mounting plate seems to be loose from the radiator, but not sure how it is supposed to look. Any thoughts on the questions on the photo would be appreciated.

gwnickerson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 08:41 AM   #1529
djbradle

My Ride: 2002 325 xit
* E46 Cooling Guide (Information w/parts list/bleeding) *

Thanks for the confirmation Mango and BaliDawg

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
djbradle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 09:08 AM   #1530
tommy320i

My Ride: 2003 E46 320i 2.2L
Hey guys,

I have tried to search but haven't found the info I need, I have a 2003 E46 320i AUTO and am looking to buy a radiator, will this part fit? part # 17 11 9 071 519?

Is there a forum or thread with part numbers to look up so you can confirm they fit for specific models?

Thanks for you help in advance
tommy320i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 11:31 AM   #1531
Stinger9

My Ride: '04 330Ci
Use your vin at www.realoem.com
Stinger9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 05:10 AM   #1532
tommy320i

My Ride: 2003 E46 320i 2.2L
* E46 Cooling Guide (Information w/parts list/bleeding) *

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinger9 View Post
Use your vin at www.realoem.com
Thanks Stinger9!

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
tommy320i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 05:16 AM   #1533
Lynchy

My Ride: 05 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mango View Post
Glad to help. There's also other misc. hard pipes and even one soft hose which connects to back of expansion tank and goes to the hard cooling pipe towards the firewall. But nobody replaces that but maybe I should add that too. I totally forgot about it when I did my cooling update. But, FWIW, I don't think I've ever heard of a hose failure on these cars.
once again my friend you never sieze to amaze me i shall be doing an oil change and chaging my coolant/antifreeze with some distilled water this weekend and of course i shall be using your DIY guide to do this well need maintance i know the PO didnt do
Lynchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 07:21 AM   #1534
ti317

My Ride: 02 330ci coupe 5 spd
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynchy View Post
once again my friend you never sieze to amaze me i shall be doing an oil change and chaging my coolant/antifreeze with some distilled water this weekend and of course i shall be using your DIY guide to do this well need maintance i know the PO didnt do
Don't follow Mango's cooling system guide!

Far better to drive along obliviously until something needs replacing. You get to experience the thrill of waiting by the side of the road in freezing rain or in a really bad neighborhood, till the tow truck get there.

As an added bonus, you get to buy a complete engine instead of a few measly parts.

I'm sick of following Mango's advice! I have been doing that for a while now and I have not had any excitement.
Old 10-09-2013, 07:34 AM   #1535
Lynchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ti317 View Post
Don't follow Mango's cooling system guide!

Far better to drive along obliviously until something needs replacing. You get to experience the thrill of waiting by the side of the road in freezing rain or in a really bad neighborhood, till the tow truck get there.

As an added bonus, you get to buy a complete engine instead of a few measly parts.

I'm sick of following Mango's advice! I have been doing that for a while now and I have not had any excitement.
how about no thanks man im not going to just let my car die on me or let the engine overheat making me spends more money than i have to And 1. im already due for an oil change and my low coolant/antifreeze light (or w.e you want to call it) JUST turned on on my way to work last night so im doing it! and 2. he already gave me advice on how to change my fuel pump and everthing went great so as of now i have no reason not to follow his diy guides
Old 10-09-2013, 09:11 PM   #1536
dirty vert

My Ride: 2001 330ci
He's just messing with you..... we all know maintenance is priority. Unless you like to push your luck and don't care.
dirty vert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 09:50 PM   #1537
Lynchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirty vert View Post
He's just messing with you..... we all know maintenance is priority. Unless you like to push your luck and don't care.
Good haha maintaince over everything
Old 10-18-2013, 10:24 PM   #1538
Robert. l

My Ride: 2005 325i
rad light comes on when heater is turned on and gos off when heater is turned off

What's the deal I'm a mechanic and I bought the car for my wife on our 25th anniversary 2005 325i she wants to keep it forever
Robert. l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 10:15 PM   #1539
dirty vert

My Ride: 2001 330ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert. l View Post
What's the deal I'm a mechanic and I bought the car for my wife on our 25th anniversary 2005 325i she wants to keep it forever
Needs coolant....
dirty vert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 08:38 AM   #1540
SDL

My Ride: 2002 325i
I have everything removed, and am going to order the replacement parts today. What hoses are normally replaced? I know Upper and Lower, but what about the two smaller hoses that come off the bottom of the expansion tank and mount? - I think they go to the heater core, correct? Do these need to be replaced? I worry about 12 year old rubber o-rings on those connections. Can you replace the o-ring?
Thanks!

Last edited by SDL; 10-21-2013 at 08:52 AM. Reason: spelling
SDL is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bleeding, coolant, cooling system, diy cooling, expansion tank, lower hose sensor, mango, overheat, radiator, radiator hose, temp sensor, temperature sensor, thermostat, water pump