E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke

Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke
Discuss supercharging, turbocharging and even nitrous and water injection here.
Sponsored by Active Autowerke

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 08-03-2009, 03:00 PM   #41
///MinnesotaBimmer

My Ride: 2001 330Ci
im looking very seriously at getting this same kit, its hard to pass up 95rwhp for 3k, but id be looking at doing the install in my garage. Ive done some car work but not a ton, i installed my ebay headers myself. I was wondering what exactly is needed to instal this kit yourself? Is it something i should be worried about?
///MinnesotaBimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 06:53 PM   #42
Tim30250

My Ride: '02 330Ci, '09 G37
Send a message via AIM to Tim30250
No special tools or skills are necessary to complete this install. All you need will be an assortment of metric sockets, torx sockets, hex keys and a couple screwdrivers to bolt on this kit. If you were able to manipulate in a set of headers, the supercharger install won't be any more difficult for you, but it will take longer.

And there is nothing you should be worried about. This truly is a bolt-on kit and you don't have to be a master mechanic to install it. What you will need is time, patience, and the willingness to be thorough. VF provides outstanding tech support, so if you get stumped with anything just call them and they'll get you right through the issue. Right now VF is running, by far, the best deal on an e46 supercharger kit, ever. Take advantage while you can.

2002 BMW 330Cic... ZSP, 5MT
Mods: VF Stg. 1 Supercharger, Eibach Pro-Kit Springs, UUC Sway Bars

Original Owner... 50,038 miles as of 05/19/14
Tim30250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 07:00 PM   #43
dennymedeiros

My Ride: 03 SC 330i AA LevelI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim30250 View Post
No special tools or skills are necessary to complete this install. All you need will be an assortment of metric sockets, torx sockets, hex keys and a couple screwdrivers to bolt on this kit. If you were able to manipulate in a set of headers, the supercharger install won't be any more difficult for you, but it will take longer.

And there is nothing you should be worried about. This truly is a bolt-on kit and you don't have to be a master mechanic to install it. What you will need is time, patience, and the willingness to be thorough. VF provides outstanding tech support, so if you get stumped with anything just call them and they'll get you right through the issue. Right now VF is running, by far, the best deal on an e46 supercharger kit, ever. Take advantage while you can.
100% agree with this....+ once you done something like this you build confidence to be able to tackle other bmw maintenance things....saves money and learn more about your car on the way

congrats on your VF kit btw
1987 BMW 325E 5-speed Build date: 11/06 [new 2010)
http://bmw325e30.blogspot.com/

Other interests:
http://www.xbox360.com
http://bodyspace.bodybuilding.com/dennymedeiros
dennymedeiros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 08:22 PM   #44
Tim30250

gas mileage update

I got several requests for a gas mileage update, so here it is...

First, let me say that I measured this over about 3 weeks and just over 400 miles. I used premium fuel (naturally) and gas was from Exxon and Shell. I probably did about 60/40 freeway to side streets and the OBC gave me an average speed of 41 over this time.

My overall gas mileage with the supercharger and 3.07 gears was 21.1 mpg. This compares quite well with the 22.4 the car averaged with 3.07 gearing before the supercharger and the 21.5 it averaged with the 3.46 gears naturally aspirated. I probably hit about 6 or 7 full/nearly full throttle bursts over the entire span, and drove spiritedly but reasonably the rest of the testing period. I'm very happy with the results; there is almost no mileage penalty with the supercharger as long as I drive it prudently.

Back to the OBC for a moment. The larger injectors I installed with the s/c kit definitely caused an inaccurate reading on the dash. Even though the car actually got 21 mpg, the OBC was claiming 26. So for whatever reason, it reads about 20% high now. No big deal, it's easy to calculate 20% mentally (take 10% of OBC reading, double it, and subtract from OBC number for actual mileage.) Even faster than computing it with my cell phone.

So I am pleased with this kit for yet another reason now. This truly was a great investment that has provided markedly increased performance with no significant penalties or negative effects whatsoever.

Old 08-11-2009, 08:28 PM   #45
djnekkon

My Ride: MB3ci & z33 HR
excellent

djnekkon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 03:11 PM   #46
INFAMOUS

My Ride: '02 330CI M-tech/ACS
Thanks for all the info Tim. I just got my Turner Motorsport subframe kit that i will be having installed soon along with some suspension bushings. After this preventative maintenance I'll be pulling the trigger on the VF Kit.
Old 08-17-2009, 03:21 PM   #47
Custom3

My Ride: HellRot 330CI
nice job man...props for doing it by yourself...i would have done the same.
Custom3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 03:23 PM   #48
Scott_Shelli

My Ride: 2003 330i
I continually look for reasons not t drop the money into a SC kit for my 330i... I tell myself the fuel mileage will be ruined, I'll have to have it professionally installed, there will be reliability and longevity issues. I have run the full spectrum of reasons NOT to succomb to my craving for more HP in my fun little work car.

This thread has ruined it all. I can now find no logical reason why I shouldn't pull the trigger. So, I am going to be really disappointed in myself for my behavior and order the kit. I'm sure I'll forgive myself when I feel the 95 additional hp propel me past the long line of RVers.

Great information!!!

Scott_Shelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 01:09 PM   #49
dennymedeiros

My Ride: 03 SC 330i AA LevelI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott_Shelli View Post
I continually look for reasons not t drop the money into a SC kit for my 330i... I tell myself the fuel mileage will be ruined, I'll have to have it professionally installed, there will be reliability and longevity issues. I have run the full spectrum of reasons NOT to succomb to my craving for more HP in my fun little work car.

This thread has ruined it all. I can now find no logical reason why I shouldn't pull the trigger. So, I am going to be really disappointed in myself for my behavior and order the kit. I'm sure I'll forgive myself when I feel the 95 additional hp propel me past the long line of RVers.

Great information!!!
LOL...welcome to the F/I Junkie Group
1987 BMW 325E 5-speed Build date: 11/06 [new 2010)
http://bmw325e30.blogspot.com/

Other interests:
http://www.xbox360.com
http://bodyspace.bodybuilding.com/dennymedeiros
dennymedeiros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 03:16 PM   #50
hubert@VF
Past Site Sponsor

My Ride: E46 M3
Quote:

Great information!!!
Scott- We've got another sale going on all NON E46 M3 kits
Please pm or email me (hubert@vf-engineering.com)

If anyone reading this is thinking of getting our kits, please pm or email privately and will take care of you!

hubert@VF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 07:52 PM   #51
Tim30250

Quote:
Originally Posted by INFAMOUS View Post
Thanks for all the info Tim. I just got my Turner Motorsport subframe kit that i will be having installed soon along with some suspension bushings. After this preventative maintenance I'll be pulling the trigger on the VF Kit.
It's definitely a good idea to take care of all of that. Let me give you heads up...The VF installation manual also recommends changing oil, plugs, fuel filter, and coolant temp sensor when installing the kit. Might as well do that with the rest of the maintenance so it's out of the way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Custom3 View Post
nice job man...props for doing it by yourself...i would have done the same.
Thank you, sir. I'm glad I did the DIY, and I recommend that anyone else with average backyard mechanic skills do the same. It's a very straightforward install that provides a great sense of pride and accomplishment when the job is complete.

Quote:

Ooh, yeah...sorry about that.

Believe me, you won't have any regrets once you pull the trigger. I made the same excuses for a couple years myself. In retrospect, I could only justify them b/c I didn't know what I was missing. Now my only regret is waiting so long to go FI. Let me know if there are any other questions I can answer for ya.

Last edited by Tim30250; 08-22-2009 at 02:39 AM.
Old 04-17-2013, 09:30 PM   #52
330Cole

My Ride: 01' 330Ci
is there a way to tune the vf software to take into account aftermarket headers, ported throttle body, exhaust and all that? thankss
  • Lemforder ZHP HD Control Arms
  • Meyle HD FCAB
  • TMS Subframe Reinforcement kit
  • TMS Swaybars F/R & Adjustable Endlinks
  • 3.38 Open Diff
  • BMW Performance SSK
  • BB Gen 3 Headers
  • Eisenmann Race Exhaust
  • 3.5" Longtube CAI
  • 3.5" Conforti Eurosport Filter
  • Shark Injector
  • Stoptech Slotted Rotors
  • TMS SS Brakelines
  • ST Sport Pads
330Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 09:34 AM   #53
zaharias

My Ride: Now has a 3lt :P
Bump...!!!

How is the car/engine running with the SC after all these years?
How many miles?
Old 09-06-2013, 08:10 AM   #54
Tim30250

Wow, I'm glad to see people are still reading this thread 4 years later, I hope it's still helpful.

Unfortunately, since this is my sporadically used weekend car I don't rack up a lot of miles, so it's hard to speak to durability over a large number of miles. But after 4 years, there are zero issues with the way the car runs or how the s/c kit performs. It's simply consistent and reliable to the point where I don't even think about it, I just enjoy it.

Old 09-06-2013, 08:16 AM   #55
zaharias

My Ride: Now has a 3lt :P
Thanks for the reply mate..
How many miles do you have now (total SCed miles)!!
Also, congrats for DIY..
And.. very nice review..!!

Last edited by zaharias; 09-06-2013 at 10:12 AM.
zaharias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 09:27 PM   #56
s14realm3

My Ride: 03 ZHP, 95 M3, 91 M3
VF kit install manual

Hey Tim, Tim here too in Atlanta. I am going to be installing a used VF kit into my ZHP next weekend. I drove the 330i that the kit came off from and I was there when it was removed by a BMW tech ( took him 2.5 hrs to remove the kit from the 330i). What I am missing is the install manual, do you still have it or a copy?
email me at s14realm3@hotmail.com
Tim

thanks
s14realm3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 07:39 AM   #57
Tim30250

I actually do still have a copy of the install manual. Email sent.. Have fun!

Old 09-27-2013, 08:22 AM   #58
bAby norAA

My Ride: 01 BMW 330i
I can attest to the reliability of the VF kit. I've run my kit now for over a year and driven it hard at times. The kit has given me ZERO problems and it has been by far the best investment (for the fun factor) for my e46, it was well worth every penny.

He is totally right though about the limited hand space. The week after i installed my VF kit i had to replace my DISA. I lost more skin on my fingers trying to put the pipe back on the throttle body and tighten down the clamps then i did installing the whole VF kit

| VF Supercharged Stage 1.5| Southbend Stage 2 Clutch | ZHP Cams | Technik Headers |
bAby norAA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 03:57 AM   #59
96Beatz!

My Ride: '99 323i
been trying to get into a sc kit myself.. i just have a question about the ecu /software..
by reflashing the original ecu, does that mean that our N/A cars can use our stock ecu and account for boost? if that is correct, than what type of software, what program, what cable (tactrix, for example) is used for reflashing?? and what parameters? fuel maps? ignition timing? master templates? ...
not sure if you can answer these, but would be helpful..
The reason i ask is because when i had my 3g eclipse 4cyl, we had to either use e-manage software (piggy back), or a stock turbo'ed ecu from an EVO, because our stock ecu's couldn't account for boost. we were able to use a program called ecuFlash 1.29, and tuned the stock ecu until we couldn't do much more unless we went FI, and then we used that same program and tuned again and again after to our liking... Thanks!
and congrats on the build man!

Last edited by 96Beatz!; 10-11-2013 at 04:01 AM.
96Beatz! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 09:47 PM   #60
s14realm3

My Ride: 03 ZHP, 95 M3, 91 M3
The DME flash I sent my DME to VF and they flashed it for me. $600!!!. I also had my SCand bracket powder coat black and now waiting for the new bearings to do a rebuild. In the meantime, I am doing the German Auto solution DISA valve kit, new coolant hoses, new CTS, new intake gaskets, new throttle body gasket, new ccv and all thos hoses, new brake booster hose, new radiator, water pump, thermostat, expansion tank and coolant. BIG JOB.
s14realm3 is offline   Reply With Quote