E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke

Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke
Discuss supercharging, turbocharging and even nitrous and water injection here.
Sponsored by Active Autowerke

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 10 votes, 4.60 average.
Old 09-25-2013, 10:04 AM   #881
PEI330Ci
58mm of Bliss

My Ride: 330i, 330Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by being3 View Post
I am with u on being innovative and having fun that's the enthusiast part I love. I'm very interested in ur setup and like the adjustability in the delivery. That's one thing that I would like to have so that I can ease it on lower boost and rpm requires less. Keep us posted how that works out and how ur going about it.

What ecu r u using ?
Motec M150, with some help from a C125 and PDM30. The "Build" firmware for the M150 isn't available yet, so I'm stuck being patient.

One ECU will run everything:
  • Engine (DBW, VANOS, Fuel, Ignition)
  • Transmission (Automatic 5 speed)
  • Pumps, fans, and ancilary electrical
  • Boost Control (Anti-phase)
  • Water Injection
  • Methanol Injection
  • Nitrous Injection

I think my last count was something over 150 I/Os, and over 1000 channels of data available for logging.

Have you been watching IAT vs Water Injection when logging?
PEI330Ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 08:33 PM   #882
being3
Modded ///Member

My Ride: Turbo M3 7168 27PSI
Send a message via Skype™ to being3
buying a used HPF M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by PEI330Ci View Post
Motec M150, with some help from a C125 and PDM30. The "Build" firmware for the M150 isn't available yet, so I'm stuck being patient.

One ECU will run everything:
  • Engine (DBW, VANOS, Fuel, Ignition)
  • Transmission (Automatic 5 speed)
  • Pumps, fans, and ancilary electrical
  • Boost Control (Anti-phase)
  • Water Injection
  • Methanol Injection
  • Nitrous Injection

I think my last count was something over 150 I/Os, and over 1000 channels of data available for logging.

Have you been watching IAT vs Water Injection when logging?
Yes I have monitored AIT with water. I found it has no effect. The cooling is done in the cylinder when it vaporizes. 50/50 meth does change the ait so u get advanced timing automatically so I don't have to do as much with the timing only a few degrees. More testing to be done....

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

Last edited by being3; 09-29-2013 at 12:12 PM.
being3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 12:17 AM   #883
being3
Modded ///Member

Latest Dyno Comparisons of Pump and Water injection. U can see the water injection HP falls off high RPM (exhaust limitation) and the Pump Gas keeps the power up top. Water makes 671 Peak Wheel HP while Pump Makes 633

Click image for larger version

Name:	hp.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	81.5 KB
ID:	528592

Here are the Torque Comparisons of Water verses Pump. 630 Rear Wheel Torque Compared to 550

Name:	TORQUE.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	78.2 KB
ID:	528593

The 50/50 is going to be much higher based on how the car drives. I'm adding a 3 inch electric cutout wired into the AEM to activate over 5 psi of boost to solve high boost high rpm drop. Just waiting on a dyno time slot to see the actual numbers and I'll post the comparisons of pump, with water, and 50/50, then the same but with C16.

I've reconfigured my race switch to be 50/50 meth when on, and water when off. I also use it when I'm butt Dyno tuning. I have it increase the timing and pull fuel and by 1percent increments. So when I dialling in a tune on I just turn the switch and do another pull. If it holds then I connect the computer and set the tune and do the process over. It just saves me time and more practical when I'm tuning alone.

Last edited by being3; 09-29-2013 at 01:23 PM.
Old 09-29-2013, 12:21 PM   #884
being3
Modded ///Member

buying a used HPF M3

My next modification for the motor involves porting, polishing & port matching the cylinder head and fitting aftermarket retainers, valves and springs. I'll be doing the work myself on a head I just purchased. I used to do porting on small blocks and had fun with it and excited to get started. I'm just waiting on the BMW cam, valve tools and the head, should be here sometime next week. The goal is to have more durability, to be able to run more timing and possibly more boost as a result of higher flow with hot spots removed. Then ill Dyno it and see the before and after comparison. It will be a while as it's only one of my long Canadian winter projects.

Last edited by being3; 10-01-2013 at 11:09 AM.
Old 09-30-2013, 11:43 AM   #885
being3
Modded ///Member

Modified / Simplified the meth Injection. I found the there are many connections that can leak over time.

Here is the relocated meth filter. This simplifies the routing reducing the connections and also making the filter more accessible and not having to remove the bumper. Its not as pretty but I,m more concerned with function / reliability.

Name:	Meth Filter 2.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	160.5 KB
ID:	528876

Here r a few of the removed connectors , lines etc

Name:	Meth Parts.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	185.8 KB
ID:	528858

I'm also considering at some point putting a meth tank in the trunk to get it out of the heat. I will also add a purge switch and valve to simplify priming the pump.

Last edited by being3; 09-30-2013 at 06:29 PM.
Old 10-01-2013, 12:40 AM   #886
GRK///M3

My Ride: LSB M3
Re: buying a used HPF M3

You are one crazy mofo.

Old 10-01-2013, 03:37 PM   #887
being3
Modded ///Member

buying a used HPF M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRK///M3 View Post
You are one crazy mofo.

Takes one to know one....

Old 10-01-2013, 03:43 PM   #888
being3
Modded ///Member

buying a used HPF M3

Dialled in the hi boost tune today using a whole tank of 50/50. Settled on 25psi @ 11.5 AFR (achieved by pulling fuel @7% and increasing to 10% above 6500 without 02 FB in boost) with 2.5 degrees of timing advanced tapering to 2 above 7300. Runs fantastic... 3rd gear with hot tires is beautifully spinning throughout the whole rpm range into 4th...having a riot just hanging on....

I stayed conservative until I get to the dyno... Intake and engine temps r all good... Interested to see the actual numbers. Virtual dyno run on my logs says 756 rwhp 696 rear torque. Also 11.5 Afr with 50/50 is really around 12 - 12.5 gas Afr which is prefect for power. Timing can be increased but I like the margins I have. Tune was tested fully loaded car with fuel and in 6th up hill to verify no knock. It performed repeatedly without issue.

Last edited by being3; 10-03-2013 at 11:55 PM.
Old 10-02-2013, 01:03 AM   #889
GRK///M3

Quote:
Dialled in the hi boost tune today using a whole tank of 50/50. Settled on 25psi @ 11.5 AFR (achieved by pulling fuel @ 8% and increasing to 10.9% above 6500 without 02 FB in boost) with 2.5 degrees of timing advanced tapering to 2 above 7300. Runs fantastic... 3rd gear with hot tires is beautifully spinning throughout the whole rpm range into 4th...having a riot just hanging on....

I stayed conservative until I get to the dyno... Intake and engine temps r all good... Interested to see the actual numbers. Virtual dyno run on my logs says 756 rwhp 696 rear torque. Also 11.5 Afr with 50/50 is really around 12 - 12.5 gas Afr which is prefect for power. Timing can be increased but I like the margins I have. Tune was tested fully loaded car with fuel and in 6th up hill to verify no knock. It performed repeatedly without issue.

Very nice...can't what to see the dyno #'s. Take video.

Now all you need to do is go spank some P800 GTR's

Last edited by GRK///M3; 10-05-2013 at 09:25 PM.
GRK///M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 08:53 PM   #890
being3
Modded ///Member

buying a used HPF M3

I am really enjoying the car now with it running beautifully. I have spent a lot of time lately dialling in my traction control and VSS based boost... Since the 50/50 tune with about 650+ torque I am needing it big time to get 3rd gear to hook, never mind 1st and 2nd.

I started a new thread for tuning 50/50 if anyone's interested

Last edited by being3; 10-08-2013 at 11:26 PM.
Old 10-09-2013, 10:17 PM   #891
being3
Modded ///Member

buying a used HPF M3

Got 3rd gear hooking on high boost today. I managed to tweak the waste-gate duty cycle to get my boost down to 15.5psi and transition up to 25psi as vehicle speed increases combined with tinkering with the AEM Traction Control its really smooth. Soon I'll be ready for the drag strip once I get 1st and 2nd dialled in

Last edited by being3; 10-10-2013 at 01:06 AM.
Old 10-10-2013, 09:43 PM   #892
being3
Modded ///Member

buying a used HPF M3

Made a few more adjustments to the VSS based boost control... Trying to find the optimum power for each speed with water/ meth. I have been able to adjust it so that I have Traction Control off and have traction in 3rd on the limit of adhesion. I modified the My tune for more resolution in boost ( 2.5 psi increments above 15 psi all the way to 27.5psi) to fine tune the timing etc for max power under the curve and grip... There was some overlap / redundancy in the map that allowed me to make the changes within the 16 breakpoint limitation. Thanks to Mert for suggestion and his time . more testing to come

I really am grateful for the support and knowledge that's is shared with fellow enthusiasts on the forum. I,m not a big fan of keeping the knowledge a big secret hence why I like to share what Ive learned.

Last edited by being3; 10-10-2013 at 09:50 PM.
Old 10-12-2013, 01:40 AM   #893
being3
Modded ///Member

Exhaust Cut Out

Received my low profile oval Exhaust Cutout today. Found a great place to mount it without loosing any ground clearance ...it mounts on the opposite side where the Wastegate merges into the exhaust. This will allow for the most flow and still have the car a sleeper with stock section 2 intact. I will have to move the 02 Sensor so its before the cutout... I don't mind moving it because it's mounted straight and it should be on and 10 degree angel so moisture doesn't rest in the sensor throwing off the numbers.

Name:	QTP.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	90.3 KB
ID:	530539

Name:	QTP 1.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	54.5 KB
ID:	530540

Exits out the passenger side... It will be like my old fat boy with drag pipes... lol

I'm excited to dial in the tune and see the numbers up top particularity in high boost....

Last edited by being3; 10-12-2013 at 01:59 AM.
Old 10-12-2013, 02:19 AM   #894
GRK///M3

Quote:
Received my low profile oval Exhaust Cutout today. Found a great place to mount it without loosing any ground clearance ...it mounts on the opposite side where the Wastegate merges into the exhaust. This will allow for the most flow and still have the car a sleeper with stock section 2 intact. I will have to move the 02 Sensor so its before the cutout... I don't mind moving it because it's mounted straight and it should be on and 10 degree angel so moisture doesn't rest in the sensor throwing off the numbers.
Attachment 530539

Attachment 530540

Exits out the passenger side... It will be like my old fat boy with drag pipes... lol

I'm excited to dial in the tune and see the numbers up top particularity in high boost....
Where did you get it from...thinking of adding a second one.

Old 10-12-2013, 02:27 AM   #895
being3
Modded ///Member

buying a used HPF M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRK///M3 View Post
Where did you get it from...thinking of adding a second one.

Verocious Motorsports out of Delaware in ur neck of the woods... QTP oval Valve and QTP oval turn down. $210.00

Old 10-16-2013, 02:30 PM   #896
being3
Modded ///Member

buying a used HPF M3

I had noticed since owning this car when checking the oil it would take several minutes after shutting off the car before oil would reach its mark on the dip stick. Not sure if any other HPF owners have experienced this? I took a look at the oil return line from the valvecover to the oil plan. IMO it looked too small to move much oil. So I replaced it with the biggest steal breaded hi temp hose I could fit. I now can shut the car off and literally pull the dip stick and the oil is at its mark. Tells me there was a bottle neck on the return and is now resolved. ( it is possible the return line had some sort of restriction / blockage) This fix will save pushing some of the oil out the breather as well as the OEM oil separator will not get over loaded.

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1381951371.223520.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	170.9 KB
ID:	531069

Note: if u don't have this issue I would not think it necessary make the change.

Last edited by being3; 10-16-2013 at 03:02 PM.
Old 11-09-2013, 01:43 PM   #897
being3
Modded ///Member

buying a used HPF M3

Had my electric open dump fabricated 2.5 x 3. 5 oval coming off of a 3 inch streight pipe from section 1 all the way to my muffler then It exits straight back just after the diver side half shaft. u can't see it which is nice and stealth .. Man it's sounds good and pulls hard and gets up on boost a lot quicker....I also dialled in the tune with a bit more boost and the motor really likes it.... running 20psi base and 26psi with 50/50. Added the CSL SMG tune for kicks as well and that makes the car shift amazing and quick...

Last edited by being3; 11-09-2013 at 06:48 PM.
Old 11-09-2013, 01:51 PM   #898
being3
Modded ///Member

buying a used HPF M3

All my parts for my SMG conversion r all here except for my custom stage 4 clutch which FSR is working on with Southbend as we speak... Because of the almost 700 foot pounds of rear wheel torque it needs something more robust but still tame enough to drive on the street. I'll spend the winter months getting that done.

Last edited by being3; 11-09-2013 at 01:57 PM.
Old 11-09-2013, 06:45 PM   #899
being3
Modded ///Member

buying a used HPF M3

I put my radiator swap on hold until a newer version comes out sometime in February. So I did a rad flush, wetter water and installed Motorsport thermostat. I did a run and my water temps r down 20 degrees from 195 to 175 at max load and rpm... I found that with the 720+ rwhp 650+ torque that I was seeing with the 6766 and 50/50 temps were higher than I felt comfortable. They weren't bad but I wanted them down. I'll be doing another dyno session with the open dump and post the results.

I created another thread for tuning 50/50 water meth and it has my most recent dyno numbers.

Last edited by being3; 11-09-2013 at 06:46 PM.
Old 11-09-2013, 10:30 PM   #900
Twin_Turbo_S54

My Ride: M3
Quote:
All my parts for my SMG conversion r all here except for my custom stage 4 clutch which FSR is working on with Southbend as we speak... Because of the almost 700 foot pounds of rear wheel torque it needs something more robust but still tame enough to drive on the street. I'll spend the winter months getting that done.

Good luck with the conversion. I wish you would stick to SMG, work on it, and come with a solution for the E46 platform.
Twin_Turbo_S54 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
e46 m3, hpf, stage 2.5, turbo