E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Health & Fitness

Health & Fitness
Discuss any topics related to heath and fitness here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-29-2013, 02:18 AM   #41
J.DoubleU.O.

My Ride: ...
I'm definitely no expert, but I'll offer what advice I can. Like Solly said, you'll get a lot of different answers/opinions on routines. But as has been stated, diet is key.

I personally do splits, currently:

Mon: Back & Bis

Tues: Shoulders & Tris

Weds: Chest

Thurs: Legs/lower body

Fri: Circuit stuff, quick intervals, lighter weight, higher reps

Saturday: a mixture of whatever I feel like or may have missed during the week because of time

Sun: Rest & maybe some cardio

Keys: form, technique and function are paramount. Do lighter weight to properly do exercises, keep your core tight and strong through everything. Don't be the guy pushing the whole weight stack on peck deck but only pushing 50% chest and 50% shoulders. Other then shoulder exercises, try to keep your shoulders rolled back, especially on all/most chest exercises.

I'm a single dad that has my daughter Sunday evening-Friday afternoon and work 6-7 days a week, 60-65 hours a day. I don't have a lot of free time, so I make my gym time count. I go every morning at 5:30-6, take very very little rest/breaks between sets and little rest between exercises, and often go twice a day (some might say i overtrain, but it's usually just time constraints and i don't like to miss my whole workout). It's not about how much time you spend in the gym/working out, it's how you make the time count. Keep the pump up/stay in the zone.

I also soak in the jacuzzi before starting everyday and after when I have time, roll out and stretch well. It's important to stay limber and loose.

I eat 30-45 minutes before every workout and 30-45 minutes after. I've been doing better and better at keeping my diet clean and increasing my calories (like Solly, I'm going the opposite way as you are).

Stay hydrated and drink lots of water. Then drink more. And more.

Like you, I have back problems. I have a diffused vertebrae in my lower back and currently a herniated disk, which has caused sever sciatica. I just do what I can and focus on form and technique to be as safe and effective as possible.

It's all about commitment. Once you get into the habit/routine, it gets easier and easier. And as the results become visible, it gets easier and easier. I, for one, can't wait for the morning every night to get back in the gym. It becomes addicting. I no loner take and haven't been drinking any Pre-workout drinks, just don't feel the want/need for them anymore. I'm pumped and focused everyday just to improve.

Good luck and use this forum. Lots of valuable information.

I'll add some pics of my progress so far since starting back up Feb. 24th til now after being out of the gym for 9 months from back and foot injuries.
J.DoubleU.O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 09:38 AM   #42
Green_Shine

My Ride: Back seat riding
Quote:
Originally Posted by DylloS View Post
Yea I can see that. I thought you meant for another reason.
I wish I could work out 2 hours a day, I would love to be a professional athlete man. Spending half my day in the gym would be legit

Last edited by Green_Shine; 03-29-2013 at 09:39 AM.
Green_Shine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 09:46 AM   #43
DylloS

My Ride: nothing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Green_Shine View Post
I wish I could work out 2 hours a day, I would love to be a professional athlete man. Spending half my day in the gym would be legit
It might sound gay but I am so jealous of people that make a living off of owning a small crossfit gym. I would absolutely love to just train people and hang out in a gym talking about this sh1t all day.
DylloS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 10:07 AM   #44
Green_Shine

Quote:
It might sound gay but I am so jealous of people that make a living off of owning a small crossfit gym. I would absolutely love to just train people and hang out in a gym talking about this sh1t all day.
Oh yeah I agree, doing this all day and being around the same minded people would be awesome.My gym is owned by an ex-nba player and played ball at my alma mater. Dude strolls in wearing sweats and jordans makes me jealous lol.

Last edited by Green_Shine; 03-29-2013 at 10:08 AM.
Green_Shine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 10:13 AM   #45
DylloS

My Ride: nothing
Quote:
Oh yeah I agree, doing this all day and being around the same minded people would be awesome.My gym is owned by an ex-nba player and played ball at my alma mater. Dude strolls in wearing sweats and jordans makes me jealous lol.
well this is me right now
DylloS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 12:15 PM   #46
Green_Shine

Quote:
well this is me right now
That's me everyday spring through fall lol
Old 04-11-2013, 02:13 AM   #47
Trashcan

My Ride: 2002 330ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris10492 View Post
Yea ill do that. Now I gotta find the grocery list on the forum to see what I have to buy. I wish someone on here posted what they eat when they are on the go all day everyday. The search starts!

Sent from my C525c using Bimmer App
Every morning while I'm in the shower i throw chicken breasts and veggies into the oven on top of aluminum foil with evoo ( so it doesn't stick). When i get done in the bathroom and getting dressed (25-35 minutes)i turn the oven off and let it sit in there while i cook my eggs for breakfast. While my eggs cool, i remove the chicken from the oven to cool, i eat a banana, drink a protein shake, eat a cup of Greek yogurt, eat a bagel or home made granola bar, and make my post workout protein shake. Then eat eggs (never use a fork, just grab with hand) while packaging chicken/veggies into tupperware for the day.

Before i go to bed, about twice a week I'll boil potatoes and make mashed potatoes. Making enough to last 3-4 days.

From wake up to exiting the house is about 55-65 minutes, and I'm ready for the day, fed, food cooked for the day and ready to make the world my b!tch.

If you're trying to lose fat, the biggest things i would recommend are, no Doritos or like chip snacks, no soda or drinks that aren't all natural juice, nothing containing any considerable amount of sugar and most things sweet should be eliminated. If its not something you can find in the wild, you probably shouldn't eat it (with a few exceptions)

Eat cucumbers, nuts, fruit and veggies for snacks and Greek yogurt for your dessert.

This is a basic, less strict version of the diet i follow every day with great results for building muscle and gaining no fat.

Hope this helps!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Bimmer App
Trashcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 02:20 AM   #48
Trashcan

My Ride: 2002 330ci
Quote:
I get about 90 minutes on week days and do a 2 hour session on weekend days with the occasional extra hour in later for a 2 a day. I'm no professional athlete, i work 60 hours a week (12-13 hours a day), plus have a side business of my own and maintain a great social life (minus the fact i can't possibly for a girlfriend into my schedule).

Step up your commitment!

Quote:
Exactly what i think to! I've considered starting up a gym a lot the last 6 months, but always settle with it being too risky of an investment i could lose out too big on.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Bimmer App
Trashcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 10:06 PM   #49
chris10492

My Ride: 14 Camaro 06 R1
Holy update!!

So I've been going to the gym a steady 5 days a week Monday through Friday and I have been doing great!

Well I think so anyway, but I had a couple of rough weeks were my schedule was too crazy to go to the gym. Since my first post in March I have probably missed a total of about a little of a month.

My weight has gone down to 199lbs as of this morning! (After I went peepee)

My waist has gone down from a 38 to a 34/36 and I have a bit more definition in my arms/legs/shoulders/etc. I have a lot more energy now but I still have back pains. I don't do dead lifts and squats as I should be doing to improve my back. I can only squat with the bar and 2 10lbs! I feel embarrassed :/

Bt I have started a new routine lol I saw a new one online a while ago.

Monday -Leg day

Leg press
Leg extensions
Leg curl
Squats
Lunges
Calf raises

Tuesday- Shoulder

Military press
Dumbbell press
Lateral raises
Shrugs
Seated lateral raises
Seated barbel press

Wednesday Back day

Pull ups
Dead lifts
Seated row
Straight leg dead lift
Pull downs
Bent over row
Lateral flys

Thursday Chest day

Flat bench barbell press
Incline bench barbell press
Flat bench dumbbell press
Decline dumbbell press
Incline dumbbell flys
Pullovers

Friday Arm day

Dumbbell curls
Tricep pull downs
Barbell curls
Preacher curls
Skull crushes
Hammer curls

I have shortened my workout to about an hour and not the almost 2 hours that I was doing before! This gives me a little bit more free time in my already busy schedule!

I am still having a hard time with my meals though
chris10492 is offline   Reply With Quote