E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke

Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke
Discuss supercharging, turbocharging and even nitrous and water injection here.
Sponsored by Active Autowerke

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-14-2013, 07:51 AM   #1
pokeybritches

My Ride: G-Power Z4M, VF Z4
VF Engineering kit - M54B30

Hello all. While I'm more of a lurker since I don't own an E46, I figured some of those on the FI fence could benefit from a quick video. I know I was scouring youtube to figure out what the car would sound like before taking the plunge. My car has an M54B30, so a 330i/ci should sound very similar. Feel free to shoot any questions my way.

Rev, parking speeds, WOT:

Sorry about all the dust. The car spends most of its life with the top down, but it's getting a detail very soon!

Edit 10/22/2013: The car now has a 3.64 final drive paired with Supersprint headers, Y-pipe, and race exhaust.

G Power Z4M and VF Engineering Z4 3.0i

Last edited by pokeybritches; 10-22-2013 at 02:57 PM. Reason: Added second video
pokeybritches is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 10-03-2013, 03:47 PM   #2
zaharias

My Ride: Now has a 3lt :P
Was the kit on the car when you bought it or you installed it afterwards? (VF)
More vids please!
Old 10-03-2013, 06:02 PM   #3
pokeybritches

I installed it about 18 months and 10k miles ago

Old 10-04-2013, 12:45 AM   #4
zaharias

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokeybritches View Post
I installed it about 18 months and 10k miles ago
Nice.
Is this the stage that produces 330hp?
Any dyno?
This is without intercooler, right?
Old 10-05-2013, 10:11 PM   #5
pokeybritches

No dyno, and no intercooler. I'm throwing around options right now to get more power. The added boost has been great though!

VF used to claim 330 hp. I've seen this kit listed as "310 hp" recently. I'd side with 310 hp, based on some quick math.

225 hp * (6 + 14.7) / 14.7 = 317 hp

Then subtract some for parasitic losses and supercharger (in)efficiencies. 310 hp is reasonable.

Old 10-06-2013, 01:45 AM   #6
zaharias

Quote:
No dyno, and no intercooler. I'm throwing around options right now to get more power. The added boost has been great though!

VF used to claim 330 hp. I've seen this kit listed as "310 hp" recently. I'd side with 310 hp, based on some quick math.

225 hp * (6 + 14.7) / 14.7 = 317 hp

Then subtract some for parasitic losses and supercharger (in)efficiencies. 310 hp is reasonable.
At the moment it's the cheapest kit on the market (i think) and with no issues.. after a lot of search about vf..

Is your M54 manual or auto? Diff ratio?
Old 10-06-2013, 09:31 AM   #7
pokeybritches

Manual; 3.07, but my transmission is different. It works out to similar top speeds in each gear as a stock 330 6-speed.

The VF kit is probably the easiest on the car of any FI kit, because it only runs 6 psi at redline. That also means it makes the least power. You don't need to worry about upgrading anything, unlike other kits, so this truly is the cheapest option beyond just the initial cost of the kit... unless you decide you want more power. Clutches are rated based on torque, and the VF kit doesn't increase torque numbers by much at max torque (something like a 20% increase). Instead, it adds torque as the rpm climbs, where it would normally fall off because the engine becomes less efficient. This makes for a very flat torque curve.

The downside is that you don't get instant power at low rpm. You have to wind the engine out to get moving. But again, the stock clutch is fine if it's in good condition, where other kits may require replacement.

Old 10-06-2013, 10:56 AM   #8
zaharias

Quote:
Manual; 3.07, but my transmission is different. It works out to similar top speeds in each gear as a stock 330 6-speed.

The VF kit is probably the easiest on the car of any FI kit, because it only runs 6 psi at redline. That also means it makes the least power. You don't need to worry about upgrading anything, unlike other kits, so this truly is the cheapest option beyond just the initial cost of the kit... unless you decide you want more power. Clutches are rated based on torque, and the VF kit doesn't increase torque numbers by much at max torque (something like a 20% increase). Instead, it adds torque as the rpm climbs, where it would normally fall off because the engine becomes less efficient. This makes for a very flat torque curve.

The downside is that you don't get instant power at low rpm. You have to wind the engine out to get moving. But again, the stock clutch is fine if it's in good condition, where other kits may require replacement.
Do you think you can upgrade it get some more hp?
My 330Ci has a 5sp gearbox (from M3 E36 3.0) and 3.38 diff. I live in an island, so top speed is not my comcern.
My clutch is sachs new (20k) and i recently did a full engine rebuild and added headers+200 cell Magnaflow cats.
Do you have any vid from inside? 0-60?
Old 10-06-2013, 11:16 AM   #9
pokeybritches

You can upgrade it with a smaller pulley, but just know that it will void whatever warranty VF gives you. I haven't measured yet, but I don't think the pulley is a standard Vortech pulley, so you'll need someone to make one for you. You'll need a tune too, which is the hardest part. I see no issue with bumping it up to 8 psi, especially with water/meth and a good tune. Some people run around at 8.5 psi with no intercooler on ESS Stage 1 twin screw setups with the TS2+ pulley, and those setups should be more prone to detonation because they boost the car more at peak torque.

Old 10-06-2013, 11:54 AM   #10
zaharias

Quote:
You can upgrade it with a smaller pulley, but just know that it will void whatever warranty VF gives you. I haven't measured yet, but I don't think the pulley is a standard Vortech pulley, so you'll need someone to make one for you. You'll need a tune too, which is the hardest part. I see no issue with bumping it up to 8 psi, especially with water/meth and a good tune. Some people run around at 8.5 psi with no intercooler on ESS Stage 1 twin screw setups with the TS2+ pulley, and those setups should be more prone to detonation because they boost the car more at peak torque.
I love ESS.. i believe i would be nice even with a TS1.. lots of torque from low rpm..in addition with my 5sp and 3.38 diff would be a nice toy.. but the cost is a bit high..

If i go with VF i will keep it as VF sells it..
I don't like making epxperiments.. i prefer sure/guarented/tested options/upgrades..

I also have an ASA kit as an option with 320hp and +100NM..

Haven't decided yet..
Old 10-06-2013, 01:04 PM   #11
pokeybritches

If you're talking about G-Power, I'm not sure they make the kit anymore. If they do, it's a good option. My G-Power kit on my Z4M puts out a lot more midrange than other kits that run similar max boost levels. I see peak boost from 6k rpm to the 8k rpm redline.

Here is another video, and it's all I'll have until the end of the month:

Old 10-06-2013, 03:11 PM   #12
zaharias

Quote:
If you're talking about G-Power, I'm not sure they make the kit anymore. If they do, it's a good option. My G-Power kit on my Z4M puts out a lot more midrange than other kits that run similar max boost levels. I see peak boost from 6k rpm to the 8k rpm redline.

Here is another video, and it's all I'll have until the end of the month:

Thanks for the video.
It's similar to G-Power.. It has an ASA T3-313 supercharger..
When i have a trip to Athens for work i have a car of a client with this kit fitted and i plan to test drive..
Old 10-22-2013, 02:59 PM   #13
pokeybritches

Updated with dyno numbers, dyno pull video, and Supersprint headers video.

Old 11-05-2013, 04:34 AM   #14
zaharias

Quote:
Updated with dyno numbers, dyno pull video, and Supersprint headers video.
Very nice..!!

SS headers are very good. Your sound is very nice.

I also bought a M3 rear axle with 3.62 lsd to put in my 330Ci..
Old 11-05-2013, 04:04 PM   #15
pokeybritches

Thanks!

I recently swapped the 3.07 final drive for a 3.64. I love it. Now to build it into an LSD...

Old 12-18-2013, 07:01 PM   #16
secono330ci

My Ride: 04' 330ci & 99' 540i
Can you post an in-car acceleration video with the 3.64 when you get a chance? I have a 3.64 and looking into this kit!
secono330ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 12:04 AM   #17
pokeybritches

The car is at the shop getting cats welded in and a new Tial QR bypass valve installed. I'll take some videos when I get it back.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

Old 12-20-2013, 05:41 PM   #18
pokeybritches

Just got the car back an hour ago. Here's a rolling start 5-60 mph with a passenger.

Old 12-20-2013, 05:59 PM   #19
Rob43
Hates Low RPM !

My Ride: 2003 BMW 331Ci, 5spd
Sounds good, enjoy.

Rob #43 ITS/ITR/STU, BMW 325I, STU LAP RECORD
SUMMIT POINT WV 1:24:229 S.C.C.A.
(DynoDynamics http://www.vimeo.com/8486878 Dyno Video)
"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"
Quote:
Originally Posted by RacerX View Post
Nitrous is a little trickier than boost, but it's not the spray that kills motors, it's STUPIDITY!!
Rob43 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 06:12 PM   #20
secono330ci

My Ride: 04' 330ci & 99' 540i
Quote:
The car is at the shop getting cats welded in and a new Tial QR bypass valve installed. I'll take some videos when I get it back.

Quote:
Just got the car back an hour ago. Here's a rolling start 5-60 mph with a passenger.

sounds like it hauls with that 3.64. So the upgraded blow off valve was for sound?
secono330ci is offline   Reply With Quote