E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > The Tire Rack's Tire & Wheel Forum

The Tire Rack's Tire & Wheel Forum
Use this forum to discuss anything in relation to wheels to tires to offsets.
Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-05-2013, 08:13 PM   #1
bimmeupscotty

My Ride: 2000 323i
Adverse effects of upsizing rims and tires 2000 323i E46.

OK so I want to go bigger (225/40/18 45lbs) on the wheels (currently at stock 195/65/15... 40lbs), but I wonder how dramatic the effects will be when doing so. Things like burning up the tranny or breaks quicker, or creating extra work for the engine at low gear, and also the effects it has on the on-board computer (speedo, gear shifting ratio, ABS). My Bimmer has 148k so as of now its a finely tuned machine. Should I just keep it that way? Or obviously since there is some debate about this there is actually some truth behind it.

Last edited by bimmeupscotty; 10-05-2013 at 09:33 PM.
bimmeupscotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 10-05-2013, 09:13 PM   #2
RockLee

My Ride: 99 328i. ZSP, ZPP,
Send a message via Yahoo to RockLee Send a message via Skype™ to RockLee
The speedo might be off a little if the whole wheel is bigger or smaller than stock. (Please correct me if I am wrong.)

1999 328i Sport Package, Premium Package, 5 speed, Alpine white.
RockLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 09:31 PM   #3
bimmeupscotty

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockLee View Post
The speedo might be off a little if the whole wheel is bigger or smaller than stock. (Please correct me if I am wrong.)
Well I did the math and it says stock Vs. upsized will be off 0.28/ Mi per 65 mi. I don't think that's bad. I could be wrong tho. I'm not a NASA scientist. lol I guess I mainly wonder what it will do overall mechanically (engine and transmission/ differential wear). People tell me I'm a perfectionist. Maybe I'm over thinking it too much. IDK..........Opinions Welcomed.
Old 10-05-2013, 09:33 PM   #4
NumbaOneNewb

My Ride: 2001 bmw 330ci
Re: Adverse effects of upsizing rims and tires 2000 323i E46.

Rock, you're correct. I usually drive at the fine line of speed limit, going above it by 8. Because I know the speedo is incorrect, i add in another 5 on top. When I had my 19s I only added the 8 plus maybe 2 on top.

Benefits of bigger rims: more than likely better than what you have on, looks better with a lowered car, more rubber width wise should equal better traction and handling if rims are within the limits of what your car can handle.

Negative: upkeep cost, tire replacement more frequent, more than likely unless you spend a fortune it'll be heavier and slow you down, more likely to be targeted for theft, easier to bend or damage rims

Sent from my SPH-L710 using BimmerApp mobile app
Portland Metro: ECU updates, Euro tune, euro corner delete, air bag light, DSC light, cluster and any led color change, soldering work, transponders for keys, and all custom work related to computer or electronics.DIY AK90 A walk through on coding your mcu and transponders EWS3 How to make your own key (ak90 review)
NumbaOneNewb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 09:34 PM   #5
NumbaOneNewb

My Ride: 2001 bmw 330ci
Re: Adverse effects of upsizing rims and tires 2000 323i E46.

I would approve 18s with a lowered setup. Although 19s look way better the financial costs don't justify any of it. You'll be ok

Sent from my SPH-L710 using BimmerApp mobile app
Portland Metro: ECU updates, Euro tune, euro corner delete, air bag light, DSC light, cluster and any led color change, soldering work, transponders for keys, and all custom work related to computer or electronics.DIY AK90 A walk through on coding your mcu and transponders EWS3 How to make your own key (ak90 review)
NumbaOneNewb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 09:34 PM   #6
lszlszx

My Ride: 328i
I believe the overall diameter is almost the same.
Weigh the stock wheel and do your research on the new ones.

Chances are they'll be heavier, but lightweight 18s may not actually weigh more than your stock rims.
Have your suspension been replaced? Wide, low ratio rim/tire combo may highlight weaknesses of a worn suspension.
In short, upsizing is OK if the overall diameter is the same.

GM No Reverse - posts 443, 456

E46 NO START - A list of possible causes

"Would the codes indicate if it's the carburator?"

Last edited by lszlszx; 10-05-2013 at 09:35 PM.
lszlszx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 09:48 PM   #7
bimmeupscotty

Quote:
Originally Posted by lszlszx View Post
I believe the overall diameter is almost the same.
Weigh the stock wheel and do your research on the new ones.

Chances are they'll be heavier, but lightweight 18s may not actually weigh more than your stock rims.
Have your suspension been replaced? Wide, low ratio rim/tire combo may highlight weaknesses of a worn suspension.
In short, upsizing is OK if the overall diameter is the same.
Edited original post. Stock 15's weigh 40lbs. and 18's weigh 45lbs. Thinking that's the equivalent of a bowling ball on each corner. Is 20lbs difference all that much? 20lbs Weight distribution on all fours is better than a fatty in the passenger seat. lmao

Seriously tho, there is no new suspension. That will be next. Possibly after disc break upgrade. Depending on the feel with the new wheels. I'm OK with the look of how it sits right now. They're BMW after market 18's from a '99 7 series. Post pics soon!
Old 10-05-2013, 09:53 PM   #8
lszlszx

My Ride: 328i
5lbs. isn't bad, considering the 18s are probably a lot wider.

GM No Reverse - posts 443, 456

E46 NO START - A list of possible causes

"Would the codes indicate if it's the carburator?"
lszlszx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 10:12 PM   #9
TitaniumCranium
/// Limitless

My Ride: 2002 BMW 330Ci
The weight difference may literally be the equivalent of a bowling ball on each corner but where the weight is makes a world of difference. This is unsprung weight and the effect is dramatic on how the car rides, handles, and accelerates.

The heavier the unsprung weight the slower a wheel assembly is to rebound from a sudden change in surface. It's slower to respond to acceleration from the drive train also. These aren't simply mathematical differences, they're noticeable. Do a little research on the effects of added unsprung weight.

17" BMW sport wheels come in at around 18# per wheel, some of the lightest BMW wheels out there. If you're driving a 325 I would pay attention to wheel weight if you're trying to get some sportiness out of the car. If all you're after is what you think looks cool then it doesn't really matter. Up to you.

/// MODS
/// Auto => 6-Spd Manual Conversion | Apex EC-7 | Koni/Ground Control Coilovers | Vorshlag Camber Plates | Meyle HD LCA | PowerFlex bushings | GruppeM rep CAI | Shark Injector | 6000k HID's and Fogs | BMW European MTechII | BMW Performance Shifter | ACS Mirrors and Rear Spoiler ///
TitaniumCranium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 10:40 PM   #10
bimmeupscotty

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitaniumCranium View Post
The weight difference may literally be the equivalent of a bowling ball on each corner but where the weight is makes a world of difference. This is unsprung weight and the effect is dramatic on how the car rides, handles, and accelerates.

The heavier the unsprung weight the slower a wheel assembly is to rebound from a sudden change in surface. It's slower to respond to acceleration from the drive train also. These aren't simply mathematical differences, they're noticeable. Do a little research on the effects of added unsprung weight.

17" BMW sport wheels come in at around 18# per wheel, some of the lightest BMW wheels out there. If you're driving a 325 I would pay attention to wheel weight if you're trying to get some sportiness out of the car. If all you're after is what you think looks cool then it doesn't really matter. Up to you.
Very True. I will look into unsprung weight for sure. Thanks for the reply! Everyone on this topic has been awesome! Its a big deal issue. I love the way the BMW handles right now and drives overall. Wouldn't trade it for anything but another BMW. Def want to make sure I don't destroy it by adding extras to it.
Old 10-05-2013, 11:27 PM   #11
ThePointman

My Ride: 323ci
I have upsized Axis Penta staggered wheels with low profile (Band-Aid, lol) tires and it drives\handles amazing. I do feel allot more feedback from the road with the low profile tires but it's well worth it. The speedo is only out by a couple of Km and it looks awesome with the stance. Couldn't be happier.

2000 BMW 323ci - Eibach springs, Angel Eyes, Rear lip spoiler, Axis Penta staggered 19" wheels
ThePointman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 11:36 PM   #12
TitaniumCranium
/// Limitless

My Ride: 2002 BMW 330Ci
Something else to consider here is that when the rim size increases the amount of rubber decreases. I've read, but don't have any factual information to back it up at this point, that rubber weighs more than aluminium. If that is true, a larger lightweight aluminum wheel should have a notable effect. It would be worth looking up the weights of the tires too, if there is somewhere that they're published. It's all a balancing act.

/// MODS
/// Auto => 6-Spd Manual Conversion | Apex EC-7 | Koni/Ground Control Coilovers | Vorshlag Camber Plates | Meyle HD LCA | PowerFlex bushings | GruppeM rep CAI | Shark Injector | 6000k HID's and Fogs | BMW European MTechII | BMW Performance Shifter | ACS Mirrors and Rear Spoiler ///
TitaniumCranium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 11:42 PM   #13
Marshmallow
Yacht Club Libertarian

My Ride: E46, E30, Quattro
Adverse effects of upsizing rims and tires 2000 323i E46.

I think if they are sic wheels then they are fine either way.

The Slum Lord Millionaire
"Stay Puft My Friends."

2003 BMW 325xiT "Audrey"
1987 BMW 325i "Lydia"
1990 Audi 90 Quattro Sport 20v "Chloe"

Marshmallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 01:26 AM   #14
bimmeupscotty

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePointman View Post
I have upsized Axis Penta staggered wheels with low profile (Band-Aid, lol) tires and it drives\handles amazing. I do feel allot more feedback from the road with the low profile tires but it's well worth it. The speedo is only out by a couple of Km and it looks awesome with the stance. Couldn't be happier.
How long have you had it? Have you noticed any slipping of the transmission, burning more oil from the engine, or noticeable difference in the breaking system?
Old 10-06-2013, 06:08 AM   #15
Solidjake
Zero. Oil. Leaks.

My Ride: 2002 330i
From 15's to 18's it will be a massive difference. The ride will instantly become a lot harsher. Your handling will improve but at the cost of comfort depending on your roads.
Solidjake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 02:09 PM   #16
bimmeupscotty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solidjake View Post
From 15's to 18's it will be a massive difference. The ride will instantly become a lot harsher. Your handling will improve but at the cost of comfort depending on your roads.
For sure! I looked up "Unsprung Mass" and read all about the weight factor that goes into the jounce of suspension. Fortunately for me the roads are kept well in AZ, no ice, snow, salt, rain to deal with. The biggest natural issues we have out here is the rubber parts drying out and breaking constantly because of the heat and sun. Ive got it in the garage now tho so its not a big problem. I think I will upsize and try it out. If I cant handle the effects I will just go back to the stock set I have on deck. Everyone seems to say it wont change things too much other than the suspension (if i keep the diameter of the wheels the same). The roads out here really are like glass for the most part. Mathematical Equation
http://static.pepboys.com/images/car...er_example.gif

Last edited by bimmeupscotty; 10-06-2013 at 02:17 PM.
Old 10-06-2013, 02:25 PM   #17
Solidjake
Zero. Oil. Leaks.

Funny thing is on my NY to LA run I got my flat tire in AZ
Old 10-06-2013, 04:02 PM   #18
bimmeupscotty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solidjake View Post
Funny thing is on my NY to LA run I got my flat tire in AZ
Purple Heart Trail (I-40)? alot of truckers use that highway between New Mexico, Northern AZ, Las Vegas, and Los Angeles.
Old 10-07-2013, 03:45 AM   #19
Solidjake
Zero. Oil. Leaks.

Yup I-40

Click on my cross country link under my sig if you have time
Old 10-07-2013, 12:47 PM   #20
VMRWheels
Sponsor

My Ride: 1:25 Scale Enzo
Send a message via AIM to VMRWheels Send a message via Yahoo to VMRWheels
You shouldn't notice any major difference in maintenance or possible parts failures. I would say you would notice a difference in ride quality though.

Facebook! | Flickr! | Blog! | Instagram!
New for 2014: V702 Multispoke | V810 Flow Form
VMRWheels is offline   Reply With Quote