E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Lighting Forum

Lighting Forum
Angel Eyes, DDEs, lighted rings, Clear Turn Signals, LEDs, Xenon, HID, or Bi-Xenon. If it lights up and you want to discuss it, post here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 1.00 average. Display Modes
Old 10-02-2013, 09:54 PM   #1
AndyFL

My Ride: '04 330Ci Vert
Fog HID kit or just replace light bulbs?

I'm debating which route to go regarding my fog lights and will like to hear some recommendations. I am installing 6000K AEs and don't really like how my car will look with them being 6000K DRLs' (bright white) plus HID Bi-Xenon headlights and the dull 4300K (yellow) OEM fog lights. My vehicle is a facelift 2004 330Ci. My question is, should I install a HID fog light kit with 6000K light bulbs or just replace the OEM light bulbs with 6000K (PIAA, LUMIKO, RAYBRIG, etc.) light bulbs? What's the mayor difference between having an HID kit and simply replacing the bulbs? Will a 6000K HID fog light kit be too overkill and bright, (blinding), considering I'll have 6000K AEs'? I appreciate all input provided.
AndyFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 10-02-2013, 09:56 PM   #2
NumbaOneNewb

My Ride: 2003 330CI Silver
Re: Fog HID kit or just replace light bulbs?

I generally run only my angel eyes and my hid fogs and they are almost the exact same shade. Low beams which I don't use much is a bit whiter. Also I have euro corner delete so the amber's don't come on unless I signal

Correction, I run low beams only on the freeway or very dark roads

Sent from my SPH-L710 using BimmerApp mobile app
Portland Metro: ECU updates, Euro tune, euro corner delete, air bag light, DSC light, cluster and any led color change, soldering work, transponders for keys, and all custom work related to computer or electronics.DIY AK90 A walk through on coding your mcu and transponders EWS3 How to make your own key (ak90 review)

Last edited by NumbaOneNewb; 10-02-2013 at 09:57 PM.
NumbaOneNewb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 10:09 PM   #3
peytonracer4
:D

My Ride: '00 328i

You don't seem to understand how an hid system works. It's not the brightness it's the light pattern. The existing housings are not designed for a hid specific light patter so it throws the light everywhere instead of on the road. It's very dangerous and you should not do it.
If you absolutely need to, do it the right way and retrofit projectors so that it will actually be designed for hid lights.
Old 10-02-2013, 10:11 PM   #4
NumbaOneNewb

That might explain why people flash their high beams at me occasionally. I always thought they did it because my low beams aren't on
Portland Metro: ECU updates, Euro tune, euro corner delete, air bag light, DSC light, cluster and any led color change, soldering work, transponders for keys, and all custom work related to computer or electronics.DIY AK90 A walk through on coding your mcu and transponders EWS3 How to make your own key (ak90 review)
Old 10-02-2013, 10:24 PM   #5
Aubephill

My Ride: 325xi

I agree, go with the kit.. The backing and reflective house specifically designed for proper light didpersion

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Aubephill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 10:31 PM   #6
AndyFL

Quote:
Originally Posted by peytonracer4 View Post
You don't seem to understand how an hid system works
Exactly! And that's exactly why I'm here posting and looking for advice. So, if I understand you correctly, I should buy a retrofit kit for HID install, and not just use my current, non-HID halogen housing, correct? Thanks, I really appreciate your insight and clarification.
Old 10-03-2013, 04:03 AM   #7
peytonracer4

Quote:
Originally Posted by NumbaOneNewb View Post
That might explain why people flash their high beams at me occasionally. I always thought they did it because my low beams aren't on
Could be both. But a xenon bulb in a halogen housing actually throws the beam in literally every direction including the eyes of oncoming traffic. If you were to take measurements, you'll probably have less light actually hitting the road than with a regular bulb.
Old 10-03-2013, 04:07 AM   #8
peytonracer4

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyFL View Post
Exactly! And that's exactly why I'm here posting and looking for advice. So, if I understand you correctly, I should buy a retrofit kit for HID install, and not just use my current, non-HID halogen housing, correct? Thanks, I really appreciate your insight and clarification.
Correct sir. Xenon/HID bulbs systems are designed to be used in what is called a projector housing. It is a different design versus a reflector housing. Projector housings have a specific cutoff which literally cuts the beam of light in half to keep it from extending too far up and into people eyes/onto road signs. I strongly recommend retrofitting a projector if you're planning on using a HID kit. Not only will it be safer but you'll have MUCH better light output into the road and it will actually look cooler even when the lights are off.
Check out the retrofit source for good kits. It's expensive but worth it if you want great lights.
Old 10-03-2013, 05:00 AM   #9
Solidjake
Zero. Leaks.

My Ride: 2002 330i
Quote:
You don't seem to understand how an hid system works. It's not the brightness it's the light pattern. The existing housings are not designed for a hid specific light patter so it throws the light everywhere instead of on the road. It's very dangerous and you should not do it.
If you absolutely need to, do it the right way and retrofit projectors so that it will actually be designed for hid lights.
Exactly this.

OP, read my lighting guide.
Solidjake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 10:05 AM   #10
AndyFL

Quote:
Correct sir. Xenon/HID bulbs systems are designed to be used in what is called a projector housing. It is a different design versus a reflector housing. Projector housings have a specific cutoff which literally cuts the beam of light in half to keep it from extending too far up and into people eyes/onto road signs. I strongly recommend retrofitting a projector if you're planning on using a HID kit. Not only will it be safer but you'll have MUCH better light output into the road and it will actually look cooler even when the lights are off.
Check out the retrofit source for good kits. It's expensive but worth it if you want great lights.
Got it, appreciate this very clear explanation. Also, thanks for pointing out that web page, is loaded with valuable information. So going back to my original post, can it be said that a 6000K fog light is a waste of $? What can I expect from one of these expensive bulbs?
Old 10-03-2013, 10:08 AM   #11
AndyFL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solidjake View Post
OP, read my lighting guide.
Will do, thanks!
Old 10-08-2013, 09:29 PM   #12
AndyFL

Alright guys, I'm having a hard time finding a Xenon/HID projector fog light kit for my '04 330Ci facelift. I have the stock facelift coupe/vert bumper and there isn't much out there for them. I'd checked with several vendors and no one seems to carry such a monster. Can anyone point me in a direction of a vendor where I might find one? I believe I saw somewhere a DIY to retrofit them, is that my only option? Thanks!
Old 10-08-2013, 10:46 PM   #13
NumbaOneNewb

Well, you may be right. I've seen the projector fogs for the m3 bumper but never really paid attention about the other bumpers. I didn't know there was a diy for fog hids, just the low and high beam ones. Perhaps another alternative r
would be to go with one of those high power wattage led projector bulbs. It's fairly bright from what it seems yet, wouldn't be blinding bright (at your average on coming car distance bright) and seems stylish to me. Like my led angels, at night, they're so bright within 5-6 feet or less that it's hard to look at them directly. I could only imagine what those led projector bulbs would be like. I may look into getting them later when I can justify the $50+ for a set, or when the prices go down.

Plus my angel brightness doesn't seem like a glaring bright. Just one of those, "Damn those are bright"

Last edited by NumbaOneNewb; 10-08-2013 at 10:48 PM.
Old 10-10-2013, 01:36 PM   #14
ac_2007

My Ride: E46 - M3 & 325i
I'm putting a 6000k HID kit in my E46 fogs, with a separate harness for power.

Yes, I was that jackass with bi-xenon headlights, and xenon fogs in my Neon beater.
Guess what? The lighting was AMAZING, and not once did I get flashed by other cars, because I know how to adjust my headlights.
ac_2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 01:37 PM   #15
Solidjake
Zero. Leaks.

My Ride: 2002 330i
Regardless if they are adjusted properly you are still doing it wrong. Xenon bulbs and projectors is what should be done.
Solidjake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 05:09 PM   #16
ac_2007

My Ride: E46 - M3 & 325i
There are no projector fogs that I know of, which fit my bumper.

I'll go ahead and spend $50 to have amazing lighting, at the expense of having a few people online saying I'm "doing it wrong".
ac_2007 is offline   Reply With Quote