E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Suspension & Braking Forum by BimmerWorld

Suspension & Braking Forum by BimmerWorld
Have some questions about suspension or brake setups for your E46 BMW? Get all your answers here!
Sponsored by BimmerWorld

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 10 votes, 4.60 average. Display Modes
Old 10-06-2013, 03:08 PM   #621
Thekanaks

My Ride: 330i zhp
*Street Edge Coilovers Review *

Just order mine while in sale woot woot lol

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Thekanaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 06:46 PM   #622
Linx

My Ride: '02 BMW 325iT
How long is this price gonna last?
Linx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 05:01 PM   #623
trj

My Ride: 325Ci
Alright,
someone chime in on this issue. Kris, could you advice what should I do next?
I have these coils installed for about 6 months now. I am happy with the ride, but the front end grinding and creaking is not resolved yet.
Story:
Replaced busted sports suspension with streetedge coilovers.
Creaking developed in about a month.
Changed Powersteering fluid (ATF)
Changed the strut mounts(OE)
Changed the washer between the strut mount and coilover base (OE)
Changed the sway bar bushings (OE).
Changed the end links. Thanks Kris for sending me the new ones.
Changed the control arms with new bushings (meyle HD).
Changed those 8 one time use bolts on subframe reinforcement plate with OE bolts.
All torqued to spec. Tripple checked.
The creaking and grinding is still there. (both sides).

I can tell its from the springs/sturts because if I keep my ear right above the strut mounts while someone is turning the wheels, I can hear it clearly it coming from under there.

Now after changing the control arms, the creaking is even louder and grinding is scary. Feels like the spring is going to break.

Here is my thread about the issue.
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=990355

Kris, thanks for providing a great customer support. You have been awesome answering my question via PM or email.
I am putting my issue here because I may be missing something that is leading to this noise, not to bash on the product. I realize that I might have been an unlucky one who is having this issue.
I have spent a lot of time and money to resolve this issue. But I am going nowhere. I feel like there is something wrong with the front coils.

Last edited by trj; 10-07-2013 at 05:07 PM.
trj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 05:04 PM   #624
Kris@TSS
Sponsor

My Ride: 2005 BMW 545i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linx View Post
How long is this price gonna last?
At least for a month
1-888-230-1288
kristina@thesuspensionsource.com
www.thesuspensionsource.com
Kris@TSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 05:13 PM   #625
Kris@TSS
Sponsor

My E60 had click/clunk when I turned the wheel or went over low speed bumps. It ended up being my top mounts. After looking at your video a few things come to mind. Can you jack up the car and record the video again? Meaning the front wheels off the ground. I would double check the grease on your top mount bearing.

Also was this an issue before or after the coilovers? Another question did a shop install the kit or did you install yourself? How was the top mount torqued?
1-888-230-1288

Last edited by Kris@TSS; 10-07-2013 at 05:13 PM.
Old 10-07-2013, 05:57 PM   #626
trj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris@TSS View Post
My E60 had click/clunk when I turned the wheel or went over low speed bumps. It ended up being my top mounts. After looking at your video a few things come to mind. Can you jack up the car and record the video again? Meaning the front wheels off the ground. I would double check the grease on your top mount bearing.

Also was this an issue before or after the coilovers? Another question did a shop install the kit or did you install yourself? How was the top mount torqued?
There is no noise when I have the car on the stands and turn the wheel. I would take a video but the fuel pump decided to die today, so I wont be able to drive for a couple of days. So the video will have to wait. But it doesnt make any noise at all when the front wheels are in the air. The noise comes when the springs are loaded.

The issue emerged after I installed the coilovers. May be a month after installation.
The shop installed the fronts in the first instance. But when I changed the top mounts, I did it myself. Everything else I did it.
No impact gun was used by me or shop during installation. I have a 22mm socket that I made by cutting the middle out to hold the allen key and torque it properly at the strut mount bolt. The shop laughed at me for doing that, but I made them use it. When doing the mounts the second time, I did it myself because I knew I didnt have to use the spring compressors.
Old 10-07-2013, 06:13 PM   #627
Kris@TSS
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by trj View Post
There is no noise when I have the car on the stands and turn the wheel. I would take a video but the fuel pump decided to die today, so I wont be able to drive for a couple of days. So the video will have to wait. But it doesnt make any noise at all when the front wheels are in the air. The noise comes when the springs are loaded.

The issue emerged after I installed the coilovers. May be a month after installation.
The shop installed the fronts in the first instance. But when I changed the top mounts, I did it myself. Everything else I did it.
No impact gun was used by me or shop during installation. I have a 22mm socket that I made by cutting the middle out to hold the allen key and torque it properly at the strut mount bolt. The shop laughed at me for doing that, but I made them use it. When doing the mounts the second time, I did it myself because I knew I didnt have to use the spring compressors.
Can you give me the part numbers from the springs? What torque rating did you use?
1-888-230-1288
Old 10-07-2013, 11:28 PM   #628
trj

Quote:
Can you give me the part numbers from the springs? What torque rating did you use?
I will get part numbers once I get the car running. No way for me to get it on the ramps to get the jack under it.
Torque specs were from the PDF you sent and instructions on this thread.

Old 10-08-2013, 12:05 PM   #629
Kris@TSS
Sponsor

Just let me know when you can
1-888-230-1288
Old 10-08-2013, 12:57 PM   #630
trj

Quote:
Just let me know when you can
Yah I should be able to get them this weekend. Fuel pump is coming on Thursday.

Old 10-12-2013, 12:24 AM   #631
Rezist09

My Ride: 325i sedan
Bump gonna order this end of the month so it's better just buying new top hats what else to make the install easy??? To bad there's no custom 2inch top hat mount like they make other cars?
List of all tools and hardware please!?
Rezist09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 09:54 AM   #632
trj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rezist09 View Post
Bump gonna order this end of the month so it's better just buying new top hats what else to make the install easy??? To bad there's no custom 2inch top hat mount like they make other cars?
Yah it's better to order new shock and strut mounts.
No special tools are needed except for a 22mm socket with a cut out for Allen key.

Old 10-12-2013, 11:59 AM   #633
CharlzO

My Ride: 2000 328ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rezist09 View Post
Off the top of my head...a decent set of metric sockets in the common BMW sizes. 13,16,17,19 was what I used. Now, I also ordered new everything, including some oops, didn't need that after all stuff. I ordered both upper and lower rear mounts, when I didn't need to. I went with "when in doubt, get new". Ordered new Upper and lower rear pads (oops), new front strut mounts, new pinh bolts, new strut nut for the top, new washer for the strut assembly, new rear shock bolts, new rear mounts (even though they were just replaced a few months prior anyway). So you might not need all the same stuff depending on your condition. I just went with everything.

Here's the post I made when I put mine in, if it helps: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showpos...&postcount=521

Last edited by CharlzO; 10-12-2013 at 12:05 PM.
CharlzO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 01:28 AM   #634
Thekanaks

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1381732006.117561.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	21.2 KB
ID:	530770got it in the mail Friday. Time to install them

Where there soppose to have instructions in the box???

Old 10-15-2013, 10:01 PM   #635
Thekanaks

Figured it out lol. Installed them today. Rides a little stiffer but not horrible. Just drove it around the block didn't take it on the hwy yet. Also no clunking or spring noise when turning steering wheel lock to lock.

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1381892412.125186.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	20.8 KB
ID:	531014

Front coolicer. 3 notches from lowest setting.

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1381892265.730342.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	68.5 KB
ID:	531012

This is how it sits on 18". I have a 04 330 Zhp

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1381892304.124610.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	65.1 KB
ID:	531013

Last edited by Thekanaks; 10-15-2013 at 10:03 PM.
Old 10-16-2013, 11:28 AM   #636
Kris@TSS
Sponsor

It should settle a bit more once you get some more miles on the kit
1-888-230-1288
Old 10-19-2013, 11:23 PM   #637
trj

Where exactly is the numbers on the front springs? I removed the wheel and tried to look for it when i did my front bearings today. But couldn't see it. Do I have to remove the whole strut assembly to see it?

I am convinced that the springs are binding, hence the noise.

Last edited by trj; 10-19-2013 at 11:26 PM.
trj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 11:53 PM   #638
DetroitFarher

My Ride: 2002 330Ci
So I am most definitely in the market for coilovers. I do no track duty yet. These seem like the perfect fit.

My only issues however are;

1) The site lists these for a V6. My two BMWs are both I6.
2) I have a 330Ci. Do I have the same suspension set up as a 330i? What about my 325i? Is that the same as my 330Ci?
DetroitFarher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 10:32 AM   #639
Kris@TSS
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by trj View Post
Where exactly is the numbers on the front springs? I removed the wheel and tried to look for it when i did my front bearings today. But couldn't see it. Do I have to remove the whole strut assembly to see it?

I am convinced that the springs are binding, hence the noise.
Here is an example of how the springs are labeled.

Can you give me your measurements as outlined here?

1-888-230-1288
Old 10-21-2013, 12:14 PM   #640
CharlzO

My Ride: 2000 328ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitFarher View Post
So I am most definitely in the market for coilovers. I do no track duty yet. These seem like the perfect fit.

My only issues however are;

1) The site lists these for a V6. My two BMWs are both I6.
2) I have a 330Ci. Do I have the same suspension set up as a 330i? What about my 325i? Is that the same as my 330Ci?
1) has been addressed at least a few times throughout the thread. Granted it's long so I'll give you that you may not have seen it. However, the fact that it's long as it is, should be an indication that a mis-labeled engine configuration on the site has not affected anyone's installation thus far. It's a misprint, the parts are fine.

2) At the top of their page, when you put in BMW under Make, and scroll through Model, it clearly states under 2002, that it fits:

e46 Convertible 323i+323ci+325ci+328i+328i+330ci.

Should be more than enough to go that they work fine for either application, and as your 330CI is specifically listed in addition, you're fine. Even though the factory suspension rates are different between coupes and sedans, these kits will fit either, and the only difference will be how much change it is from stock. Your 330ci comes with factory sport suspension, where your 325i doesn't. So you might feel more of a difference from the 325 going from "regular" suspension to these, than you would going from the sport suspension to these. That said, especially if your factory suspension is getting weak with age, it'll be a noticeable improvement anyway.
CharlzO is offline   Reply With Quote