E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 12 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 09-25-2013, 02:55 PM   #1801
jeffro3000

My Ride: 2000 328i
Re: The Official Science Thread

Stanford researchers build carbon nanotube based computer:

http://phys.org/news/2013-09-stanfor...echnology.html

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
jeffro3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 02:58 PM   #1802
cowmoo32
drunken science

My Ride: Trek 1.5
Awesome

flickher

What's this about a brownie in motion?
cowmoo32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 08:38 PM   #1803
Rubenk

My Ride: M35A2
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowmoo32 View Post
This is the same effect that allows a person to dip their hand in molten lead
awesome video! now what if those were coated with that never wet nano coating stuff too??!!
Rubenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 08:33 AM   #1804
m1r

My Ride: 13 TL
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo.PNG
Views:	127
Size:	164.5 KB
ID:	528400  
Old 09-26-2013, 10:47 AM   #1805
Raymond42262

My Ride: Is German
Interesting ...........

The timing of astral disembodiment in which the spirit leaves the body
has been captured by Russian scientist Konstantin Korotkov, who photographed a person at the moment of his death with a bioelectrographic camera.

The image taken using the gas discharge visualization method, an advanced technique of Kirlian photography shows in blue the life force of the person leaving the body gradually.

According to Korotkov, navel and head are the parties who first lose their life force (which would be the soul) and the groin and the heart are the last areas where the spirit before surfing the phantasmagoria of the infinite.

In other cases according to Korotkov has noted that "the soul" of people who suffer a violent and unexpected death usually manifests a state of confusion in your power settings and return to the body in the days following death. This could be due to a surplus of unused energy.

The technique developed by Korotkov, who is director of the Research Institute of Physical Culture, St. Petersburg, is endorsed as a medical technology by the Ministry of Health of Russia and is used by more than 300 doctors in the world for stress and monitoring progress of patients treated for diseases such as cancer. Korotkov says his energy imaging technique could be used to watch all kinds of imbalances biophysical and diagnose in real time and also to show if a person does have psychic powers or is a fraud.

This technique, which measures real-time and stimulated radiation is amplified by the electromagnetic field is a more advanced version of the technology developed for measuring Semyon Kirlian aura.

Korotkov observations confirm, as proposed by Kirili, that "stimulated electro-photonic light around the tips of the fingers of the human being contains coherent and comprehensive statement of a person, both physically and psychologically."

In this video interview Korotkov speaks of the effect in the bioenergy field with food, water and even cosmetics. And emphasizes one umbrella drink water and organic food, particularly noting that the aura of the people in the Undies suffers the negative effects of nutrients as technologization distributed in this society.

Korotkov also speaks of their measurements in supposedly loaded with power and influence that people have in the bioenergy fields of others. Checking Rupert Sheldrake's experiment of the feeling of being watched : Because a person's bioenergy field changes when someone else directs his attention, even though it is backwards and not consciously perceived. Also a place fields are altered when there is a concentration of tourists.

Also warns of cell phone use and their negative radiation often being carcinogenic, which several studies seem to confirm.

Korotkov hosting is optimistic that this new scientific field, which is a pioneer, is taking, especially in Russia, where some schools were teaching children to recognize and use energy, and not as a suspect but as a metaphysical quantifiable fact.
http://www.thcfarmer.com/forums/f64/...-photographs-s...

'There is some staggering photographic and video evidence demonstrating some of the technologies, particularly shocking is the Oldfield Camera Filter which using a normal camera appears to show ghosts or other wordly entities clearly in photographs! Truly amazing stuff!

Harry, the author of 'Harry Oldfield's Invisible Universe' goes on to demonstrate how through various technologies he is able to reveal aspects of this previously unseen universe in all their glory!

Three decades of research into this area and considerable practical application enable Harry to present some very convincing evidence that there is far more to the Universe than that which we currently experience with the 5 senses.'

http://www.esotericonline.net/profil...-body-at-death
Old 09-26-2013, 11:51 AM   #1806
jeffro3000

My Ride: 2000 328i
Re: The Official Science Thread

MIT scientists create new form of photon based matter, and apparently it's similar to a light saber lol. Except without the cutting power.

http://phys.org/news/2013-09-scienti...fore-seen.html

Quote:
Working with colleagues at the Harvard-MIT Center for Ultracold Atoms, a group led by Harvard Professor of Physics Mikhail Lukin and MIT Professor of Physics Vladan Vuletic have managed to coax photons into binding together to form molecules - a state of matter that, until recently, had been purely theoretical. The work is described in a September 25 paper in Nature.

"We do this for fun, and because we're pushing the frontiers of science," Lukin said. "But it feeds into the bigger picture of what we're doing because photons remain the best possible means to carry quantum information. The handicap, though, has been that photons don't interact with each other."
To build a quantum computer, he explained, researchers need to build a system that can preserve quantum information, and process it using quantum logic operations. The challenge, however, is that quantum logic requires interactions between individual quanta so that quantum systems can be switched to perform information processing.
"What we demonstrate with this process allows us to do that," Lukin said.

Read more at: http://phys.org/news/2013-09-scienti...-seen.html#jCp
Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
jeffro3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 02:19 PM   #1807
cowmoo32
drunken science

http://www6.slac.stanford.edu/news/2...on-a-chip.aspx

flickher

Old 10-05-2013, 09:15 AM   #1808
cowmoo32
drunken science

And this is why I love fluid dynamics

flickher

Old 10-05-2013, 12:19 PM   #1809
MpoweredM
Wants to be Orange

My Ride: 1098S; RR Sport; CRZ
I feel like Penny, from Big Bang Theory when I go through this thread...

Santa Hats thanks to Scott!
Click for pics of my bikes
Click for pics of my old 335
Click for pics of my old S4 avant
Click for pics of my old M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by v8 5 View Post
Constatine would of thrown his dildo at the kidnapper and proceed to cry in his closet after said kidnapper escaped.
MpoweredM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 12:24 PM   #1810
cowmoo32
drunken science

Nah man you're not as pretty, sorry to be the one to tell you.

flickher

Last edited by cowmoo32; 10-05-2013 at 12:25 PM.
Old 10-05-2013, 12:26 PM   #1811
MpoweredM
Wants to be Orange

My Ride: 1098S; RR Sport; CRZ
Quote:
Nah man you're not as pretty, sorry to be the one to tell you.
Damn. Then at least Howard... with a lack of Doctorate.

Santa Hats thanks to Scott!
Click for pics of my bikes
Click for pics of my old 335
Click for pics of my old S4 avant
Click for pics of my old M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by v8 5 View Post
Constatine would of thrown his dildo at the kidnapper and proceed to cry in his closet after said kidnapper escaped.
MpoweredM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 03:01 PM   #1812
Raymond42262

My Ride: Is German
Quote:
And this is why I love fluid dynamics
cool !
Old 10-06-2013, 03:59 PM   #1813
Master Po

My Ride: E46 no more
Will graphine replace carbon fiber in cars?
Old 10-06-2013, 05:39 PM   #1814
atinybug

My Ride: e92 335i
I just tried to make some graphine, all I ended up with was smudgy fingers.
atinybug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 06:40 AM   #1815
joeski3d

My Ride: 2000 323i
Freaky! Reminds me of the Iron Giant movie.

MIT Scientists Develop New Breed Of Self-Assembling Robots

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/...embling-robots

Ballbusters Inc.

DISCLAIMER: No balls were physically hurt during the reading of this post. Should redness and/or swelling occur consult your gynecologist immediately.

Last edited by joeski3d; 10-08-2013 at 06:45 AM.
joeski3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 11:04 AM   #1816
Master Po

Old 10-12-2013, 02:18 PM   #1817
Master Po

Higgs won Physics Nobel prize this year. How many of you even known what his contribution was other than what the media coined as "The God Particle"?
(stupid media for coining that term. Nothing to do with anything, but it's what stuck. )

Old 10-12-2013, 02:49 PM   #1818
cowmoo32
drunken science

SpaceX's Grasshopper hovering at 744m. I want to know what kind of hexacopter they're using at those kind of heights

flickher

Old 10-17-2013, 04:36 PM   #1819
cowmoo32
drunken science

How great it would be if we could find a way to do this artificially and not have to spend 8 hours a day sleeping? Or at the very least, use it to improve sleep for people who can't sleep well?
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-24567412
Quote:
The brain uses sleep to wash away the waste toxins built up during a hard day's thinking, researchers have shown.

The US team believe the "waste removal system" is one of the fundamental reasons for sleep.

Their study, in the journal Science, showed brain cells shrink during sleep to open up the gaps between neurons and allow fluid to wash the brain clean.

They also suggest that failing to clear away some toxic proteins may play a role in brain disorders.

One big question for sleep researchers is why do animals sleep at all when it leaves them vulnerable to predators?

It has been shown to have a big role in the fixing of memories in the brain and learning, but a team at the University of Rochester Medical Centre believe that "housework" may be one of the primary reasons for sleep.

"The brain only has limited energy at its disposal and it appears that it must choose between two different functional states - awake and aware or asleep and cleaning up," said researcher Dr Maiken Nedergaard.

"You can think of it like having a house party. You can either entertain the guests or clean up the house, but you can't really do both at the same time."
Plumbing

Their findings build on last year's discovery of the brain's own network of plumbing pipes - known as the glymphatic system - which carry waste material out of the brain.

Scientists, who imaged the brains of mice, showed that the glymphatic system became 10-times more active when the mice were asleep.

Cells in the brain, probably the glial cells which keep nerve cells alive, shrink during sleep. This increases the size of the interstitial space, the gaps between brain tissue, allowing more fluid to be pumped in and wash the toxins away.

Dr Nedergaard said this was a "vital" function for staying alive, but did not appear to be possible while the mind was awake.

She told the BBC: "This is purely speculation, but it looks like the brain is losing a lot of energy when pumping water across the brain and that is probably incompatible with processing information."

She added that the true significance of the findings would be known only after human studies, but doing similar experiments in an MRI machine would be relatively easy.
Brain

Commenting on the research Dr Neil Stanley, an independent sleep expert, said: "This is a very interesting study that shows sleep is essential downtime to do some housekeeping to flush out neurotoxins.

"There is good data on memory and learning, the psychological reason for sleep. But this is the actual physical and chemical reason for sleep, something is happening which is important."

Dr Raphaelle Winsky-Sommerer, a lecturer in sleep at Surrey University, said: "It's not surprising, our whole physiology is changing during sleep.

"The novelty is the role of the interstitial space, but I think it's an added piece of the puzzle not the whole mechanism.

"The significance is that, yet again, it shows sleep may contribute to the restoration of brain cell function and may have protective effects."

Many conditions which lead to the loss of brain cells such as Alzheimer's or Parkinson's disease are characterised by the build-up of damaged proteins in the brain.

The researchers suggest that problems with the brain's cleaning mechanism may contribute to such diseases, but caution more research is needed.

The charity Alzheimer's Research UK said more research would be needed to see whether damage to the brain's waste clearance system could lead to diseases like dementia, but the findings offered a "potential new avenue for investigation".

flickher

Last edited by cowmoo32; 10-17-2013 at 04:36 PM.
Old 10-28-2013, 04:08 PM   #1820
triniboy18

My Ride: 2000 323 Ci
triniboy18 is offline   Reply With Quote