E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 09-20-2013, 09:23 AM   #361
Hedges

My Ride: C63 AMG
Just finished reading this book,

Pretty easy to read, straight forward and pretty good pointers I find!
Old 09-20-2013, 09:31 AM   #362
'busa

My Ride: E90 335i (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedges View Post

Selling what?
Old 09-20-2013, 11:02 AM   #363
Raymond42262

My Ride: Is German
Quote:
Nice! I may try this book out , I like those WW2 stuff!

Another book I want to read is A Woman in Berlin by Anonymous.

It was written by a woman that lived in Berlin immediately after it fell and was occupied by the Russians. Historians have conveniently failed to mention that when the Russians started pushing back the Nazis from the East that they robbed and raped the entire way west. The Russians were nice guys for about 3,4 days after Berlin fell and then they started raping women and children without remorse. Historians have said that about 95 percent of all the women were raped in Berlin , often gang raped multiple times and often at gun point in front of their mothers, fathers etc.......About ten percent of all women committed suicide in Berlin within ninety days after 'liberation'. They could not endure the shame and humiliation of rape and unwanted pregnancies.

This book was written by a woman that used her survival instincts to align herself with a Russian officer and allowed herself to be his gf so she would be protected from the other soldiers.

Stalin and everyone else knew what was occurring in Berlin, Poland , Czechoslovakia, Romania etc......but they thought it was 'just fun' for the soldiers and their reward for all the tough times they had to endure.

They made a movie out of it, but I have not seen it.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/158110813/...oman-in-Berlin

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'busa View Post
Selling what?

Selling anything.......he covers positive mental attitudes, planning an presentations Brian Tracy is a god among sales motivators. I read this book several years ago...good pointers.

Last edited by Raymond42262; 03-05-2014 at 09:15 PM.
Raymond42262 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 05:57 PM   #364
Goughie

My Ride: 330d Sport Touring
Just picked up a few new reads for the Kindle:

Floating Gold - a book about ambergris - it's bloody fascinating so far!
The Strangest Man - a biography of Paul Dirac - I've had my eye on this one for a while.
Barbarians at the Gate - the fall of RJR Nabisco - more US corporate downfalls.

"The protection of views purely on religious grounds cannot be justified. It is not only an irrational idea, but it is also divisive, capricious and arbitrary" - Lord Justice Laws, UK 29/04/2010
Goughie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 08:52 PM   #365
almoca

My Ride: old busted
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	75.5 KB
ID:	528174
Old 09-25-2013, 03:20 PM   #366
ThatGuy_JZ

My Ride: '02 Steel Blue 325Ci
Send a message via AIM to ThatGuy_JZ
These...

http://www.goodreads.com/series/5372...ingstar-strain

ThatGuy_JZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 11:05 PM   #367
Raymond42262

My Ride: Is German
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond42262 View Post
After the Reich by Giles MacDonogh

I am only about 100 pages into this 600 page book but it is good. I knew the U.S. and our allies still considered the Germans as the enemy even after they surrendered but I did not know all the details. The Allies started to repartition Germany as early as 1943. Lots of good information here if you like WW2.
Quote:
Nice! I may try this book out , I like those WW2 stuff!
I finished this book this afternoon, all 600 pages........and out of all the books I have ever read, I honestly must say I will never forget this one.

If you have any interest in WW2 or the Human Condition, the book is worth your time. The author gave a very detailed illustration of the events leading up to the end of WW2 and approximately five years that followed. I always knew that the Russians were very violent and raped every woman between Poland and Berlin.

But I did not know about the violence that was suffered in Czechoslovakia, Austria and western Germany. I did not know that tens of thousands of Germans froze to death during the winters of 1946 and 1947 because there was no electricity, running water, glass for broken windows or wood to burn for heat.

I did not know that the Allies deliberately kept Germans confined to 1200 calories a day even though we need about 4k to maintain a healthy body.

I did not know that after we liberated the concentration camps we put the SS and other pow's in them and that the U.S had hundreds of thousands of prisoners for a year or so after the war ended and that we actually 'loaned' some of them to France and Britain to help them rebuild.

When the Allies needed a house or a building to house soldiers or maintain as an office, they told the occupants they had 2 hours to vacate. And they were not compensated. The owners were homeless and on the street.

He also said that black American soldiers and pow's got along well with each other because they were both hated and that the black soldiers were kinder to them than white soldiers. They had a kinship with each other.

He covered the Nuremberg Trials and made observations I had never read before.

He also spent a lot of time on ethnic Germans that lived in Poland and Austria and Czech. Even though they were citizens of Austria etc.....and they may have had nothing to do with the war, they were singled out because they were German. Many were killed, women were raped.........he said that 5k Germans (citizens of Czech ) were rounded up, corraled into a stadium and the Czechs threw hand grenades at them and gunned them down with machine guns while they ran for the exit. This was a few weeks AFTER the war was over.

Hundreds of thousands were told to leave Austria, Poland etc......and they had to walk hundred of miles or spend days on a train with nothing but clothes on their backs. Everything was taken without compensation. Many died along the way. We never hear about that part of the war.

Life was tough in post ww2 Germany. The author used first person accounts, personal interviews and his own observations. The WW2 generation was tough. Modern people are pus sies compared to them.

Good book. I learned a lot.

Last edited by Raymond42262; 09-29-2013 at 11:12 PM.
Raymond42262 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 11:06 PM   #368
Five_seveN

My Ride: rover james
Send a message via AIM to Five_seveN
cracked

dr drew

Perhaps you should stop responding. It's a no-win for you here. :dunno:
Five_seveN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 11:19 PM   #369
bimmerfan08

My Ride: Phoenix Yellow M3
Finished this book a few weeks back. Good read.

Not even mentioning the efficiencies of larger countries.

As divided as this country is, at least we are one.

Last edited by bimmerfan08; 09-29-2013 at 11:21 PM.
bimmerfan08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 09:16 AM   #370
MorganFreeman

My Ride: bacon
Re: current books you are reading?

Just finished Lone Survivor by Marcus Lutrell, amazing book if you are interested in the Navy SEALs. There's also a movie coming out at the end of this year about the book, too. Can't mofo'king wait to see it!

Currently reading Inside Delta Force, on how the unit was made written by one of the original founder.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
MorganFreeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 09:50 AM   #371
Xcelratr

My Ride: 04 330Ci ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerfan08 View Post
Finished this book a few weeks back. Good read.

Did you read the whole thing, or skip the last 1/8th on the far right of every page?

Yes
----------------------------------------------

Last edited by Xcelratr; 09-30-2013 at 09:51 AM.
Xcelratr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 11:15 AM   #372
Goughie

My Ride: 330d Sport Touring
Quote:
Originally Posted by MorganFreeman View Post
Just finished Lone Survivor by Marcus Lutrell, amazing book if you are interested in the Navy SEALs. There's also a movie coming out at the end of this year about the book, too. Can't mofo'king wait to see it!

Currently reading Inside Delta Force, on how the unit was made written by one of the original founder.

Read Inside Delta Force (Eric Haney) and liked it - may have to check out Lone Survivor!

"The protection of views purely on religious grounds cannot be justified. It is not only an irrational idea, but it is also divisive, capricious and arbitrary" - Lord Justice Laws, UK 29/04/2010
Goughie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 11:16 AM   #373
bimmerfan08

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xcelratr View Post
Did you read the whole thing, or skip the last 1/8th on the far right of every page?
Entire thing. All 305 pages.

I see what you did there.

Last edited by bimmerfan08; 09-30-2013 at 11:16 AM.
Old 09-30-2013, 12:03 PM   #374
VaderDave
Invictus

My Ride: 330CiC ZHP
VaderDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 12:54 PM   #375
MorganFreeman

My Ride: bacon
Re: current books you are reading?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goughie View Post
Read Inside Delta Force (Eric Haney) and liked it - may have to check out Lone Survivor!
You should. It's about operation Red Wing where many Navy SEALs died but only the author survived. The beginning starts off with how he became a SEAL and then the accounts of the fatal operation. Really good read about the character of these mens and what they go through during training and combat.

MorganFreeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 01:49 PM   #376
brew

My Ride: Sequoia X5 MR2 G20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goughie View Post
Just picked up a few new reads for the Kindle:

Floating Gold - a book about ambergris - it's bloody fascinating so far!
The Strangest Man - a biography of Paul Dirac - I've had my eye on this one for a while.
Barbarians at the Gate - the fall of RJR Nabisco - more US corporate downfalls.
Barbarians at the gate isn't about the fall of RJR - it's about the leveraged buy out of RJR at the peak of the LBO craze in the late 80's. I read it a long, long time ago - but IIRC, KKR bought it for $22Billion - and there was a real question whether banks in the US could actually scrape together that much cash all at once. Decent book . .. mostly about RJR execs drinking and acting like aholes and junior investment bankers running through the streets trying to submit bids before deadline.
brew is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 01:56 PM   #377
brew

My Ride: Sequoia X5 MR2 G20
My father in law loves reading fantasy books and cheeseball spy thriller books. Around Christmas last year there was a used bookstore going out of business nearby and all their books were on sale. I bought like 40 action thriller books - 30 of which were these cheesy (but cool) series called "the Executioner". One man a-team type stuff. I put them all in a box with a giant jar of pepperoni sticks and a half gallon of rum and gave it to him for Christmas. He was thrilled.

He just returned the box (minus the pepperoni and rum), having read all of the books - so now I've just started reading through a sh1t ton of cheeseball action.

I read so much for work that I need something mindless on my down time.

brew is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 07:01 PM   #378
bimmerfan08

Old 10-12-2013, 07:06 PM   #379
Fergo

My Ride: still a gay 135i

2 easy 2 make hp turbos
Fergo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 07:08 PM   #380
stapler12345

My Ride: Sakhir Orange M6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penguin Koolaid View Post
I've never heard of a woman wanting more than she actually deserved. Never.
stapler12345 is online now   Reply With Quote