E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > BMW Regional Forums > Regional Forums > New England

New England
Have you seen another BMW while driving around in your area? Maybe you can find their car in the E46Fanatics Garage!
MA ME NH RI VT

If you don't have your garage setup, sign up today HERE

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-15-2013, 02:19 AM   #1
Chad44

My Ride: 03' Imola 330i ZHP
Need Airbag coding/troubleshooting help

I'm short for time and money, but need to get my wife's 99' 323i back on the road ASAP... Had a failure, and the airbag module got fubarred, or so I think. I got another module from the parts yard, plugged it in, cleared the codes and tried to code the vin/etc with carsoft 6.5, on a serial to obd with a 20 pin adapter. At first or seemed to be going okay, then it popped up all the same codes as the original module- 10 error codes including "01 internal ecu error"
I have scanned and attempted to clear the errors with inpa, carsoft, BMW scanner 1.4.0 and I get an error saying the module is rejecting the data erase...
The most confusing part of the whole thing is that when I look at the car with inpa- I'm able to check all the modules, airbags, sensors and they are all connected and showing as free from problems (all test "OK"), I've tried unplugging many of the sensors and they show up as having communication problems, which are resolved when plugging them back in...

I'm very comfortable with electronics, but I feel like I must be in over my head, or simply lacking experience with the programs and interfaces. I don't want to pay the dealer a couple hundred dollars to program the airbag, but will resort to that in absolutely necessary (that bill would be almost a months pay in my current job)

Someone help me out!!!

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Chad44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 10-15-2013, 02:25 AM   #2
Chad44

Also, I forgot to mention- I had a list of errors in the control module saying something to the effect of "installed equipment different than programmed". Or something like that- I can find out exactly what it said tomorrow, if anyone here can help with my problems and wants clarification.

Old 10-15-2013, 08:47 AM   #3
trizzuth

My Ride: gobbles oil like a B
i am so unexperienced with this kind of thing, but it definitely sounds like the car does not like the fact that you put in another module... Maybe Tony would be able to help you out?
Old 10-15-2013, 09:12 AM   #4
Chad44

I've talked to tony about it- but I think what I really need is someone with experience recoding airbag modules. I've put my feelers out to a few coders I found on the different forums... Guess I'll just wait and see.

Old 10-15-2013, 09:19 AM   #5
trizzuth

My Ride: gobbles oil like a B
how did the old module get fried?
Old 10-15-2013, 10:05 AM   #6
Chad44

Just gave up the ghost one day... It had a couple problems- seat sensor, buckle, an airbag so I think they may have contributed... Not completely sure, since the module shows all inputs as fine when checking them individually, but has still stored errors.

Old 10-15-2013, 11:00 PM   #7
Chad44

I should also say- I have replaced the buckle/tensioner, airbag, etc. so those problems should no longer be the issue.