E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > The Tire Rack's Tire & Wheel Forum

The Tire Rack's Tire & Wheel Forum
Use this forum to discuss anything in relation to wheels to tires to offsets.
Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-22-2013, 09:47 AM   #1
Manny04

My Ride: BMW E46 325CI
19" m3 Wheels on 325ci. Mechanical strain?

Good morning e46 family!

First off i'd like to start by saying that it feels good being active once again on this forum, long story short I joined the military in 08' and sold my 325ci to my father and we are now doing a trade between my truck and the car, he kept it nice and tight in his garage with only 9k miles in the course of 4 years

While he had it he changed the 17" 7 spoke 325 wheels to the m3 19" staggered wheels, always messing around with parts especially wheels, just runs in the family, atleast he kept it original. The tires are currently due for replacing and I haven't gotten a quote anywhere but I am sure that it has to be a lot more then tires on the 17" original wheels that go on the 325, just logical right.

The car has 102k miles and it's a car I could see myself maintaining and keeping long term (I see the 1980's 3 series strolling around town and it's pretty inspirational, just my classic liking and mechanic experience side speaking). Although I will no longer be employed as a mechanic and looking to branch out into something more office like, there is just something boring to me about having a new car that I don't have to open the hood on and do some work to, besides not having money for it

My worry is on the differential, the suspension, the transmission, and any other parts that may be affected by the difference in weight and size.

So here's what I am currently debating: Should I buy a set of the 17" of ebay and spare myself the extra mechanical mayhem or am I being over cautious and just keep these nice looking 19"s ?

Experts please help out a fellow returning e46fanatic

Last edited by Manny04; 07-22-2013 at 09:52 AM.
Manny04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 07-22-2013, 09:58 AM   #2
Manny04

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	m3wheels001.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	114.8 KB
ID:	517839  
Old 07-22-2013, 10:26 AM   #3
Manny04

A couple more to help the process..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	m3wheels002.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	82.8 KB
ID:	517850   Click image for larger version

Name:	m3wheels003.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	124.6 KB
ID:	517851  
Old 07-24-2013, 02:06 PM   #4
Manny04

Re: 19" m3 Wheels on 325ci. Mechanical strain?

Anybody wanna shine in?

BimmerApp mobile app
Old 07-24-2013, 04:23 PM   #5
bee-em-dougle-u

My Ride: 2002 BMW 325i
I say keep 'em if you like 'em. The extra unsprung weight isn't going to make an appreciable difference in the rate of suspension and driveline components wearing out.
bee-em-dougle-u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 07:10 PM   #6
Manny04

Quote:
Originally Posted by bee-em-dougle-u View Post
I say keep 'em if you like 'em. The extra unsprung weight isn't going to make an appreciable difference in the rate of suspension and driveline components wearing out.
I just went on tirerack.com and got a quote of $800 for a set, and that's not including balance, mounting, and alignment. Gotta keep looking around for a better deal.

Tempting though to put the 17" on, for $500 off eBay with and sell these.
Old 10-17-2013, 05:19 AM   #7
Bemmer888

My Ride: E46 325ci 2001
Keep em

I have the same setup on my car, incidently a 325ci as well albeit the coupe and not the cabrio version.

I would imagine that In the long run there will be more wear on your tierods and balljoint, but not that significant i would think, and the cool factor is more than worth it for the meager extra cost ( less lifetime on the tierods and balljoints).

Btw, do you use spacer in the front wheels, as the front wheels on your car looks normal considering the front wheels have a -41 offset and on my car it looks a bit off as it is too much on the inside of the wheel arch.
I ends up putting a pair of spacer on mine, and they look much better now.
What kind of tyres combo are you using?

On mine, as i use eibach prokit all around, i can only go as wide as 225/35 front and 235/35 rear.
Bemmer888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 05:57 PM   #8
EthirD

My Ride: '04 ZHP, '07 X5
I've never heard of plus-sized wheels causing appreciable wear to any type of suspension or driveline component. I'd challenge you to weigh one of your old wheels versus one of the new. I'd bet the variance isn't huge. If you have the stock 7-spokes I'm assuming you do, they're a little more than 23 pounds. The style 67's in a 19 inch rear wheel are 29 pounds. Factor in that you're probably losing some weight with the tires (less rubber due to smaller sidewall) and you're probably within 4-5 pounds on each corner. That's probably less than you would get just installing a set of chromed wheels. I think you should be more than safe unless someone chimes in with experience. As a secondary datapoint, the 330 ZHP has essentially the same suspension as your car and the factory 18s come in at a similar weight to those 19s, within a pound or two.
BMW CCA Member #480924
EthirD is offline   Reply With Quote