E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Suspension & Braking Forum by BimmerWorld

Suspension & Braking Forum by BimmerWorld
Have some questions about suspension or brake setups for your E46 BMW? Get all your answers here!
Sponsored by BimmerWorld

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 13 votes, 3.38 average. Display Modes
Old 06-10-2013, 06:22 PM   #41
StrdCloud

My Ride: 323
Re: Differences Between Non-M and M3 Suspension

Hi! May I ask If the e36 kW clubsport would fit e46 323?

Sent from my PadFone using BimmerApp mobile app

Last edited by StrdCloud; 06-10-2013 at 06:23 PM.
StrdCloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 06:34 PM   #42
hamadyr

My Ride: '05 330i ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by StrdCloud View Post
Hi! May I ask If the e36 kW clubsport would fit e46 323?

Sent from my PadFone using BimmerApp mobile app
E36 front struts are very different than E46 units.
No chance of that working out.
hamadyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 01:25 PM   #43
Jahan

My Ride: 2008 Corvette
As a chassis engineer, I can triple confirm that both M and non-M struts are twin tubes. The non-M pictured has a rebound spring, which is an internal spring that acts against the normal coil spring to increase roll stiffness. In the resting state, the spring is extended, which holds the rod in the position you see in the picture. If you grab the rod and pull really hard, you would compress the spring and you'd be able to pull the rod out almost as far as the M3 strut.

Rebound springs act sort of like a stiffer stabilizer bar, with some key differences:
  1. They also reduce body float and prevent the suspension from topping when you hit a large pothole, which helps prevent wheel and tire damage
  2. They still work when the wheels are moving vertically together
  3. They maintain full independence of the left and right suspension

Last edited by Jahan; 07-16-2013 at 01:26 PM.
Jahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 08:44 PM   #44
mkodama

Credit to Cavi Mike for figuring out that springs are specific to their respective strut mounts(I never checked), and how to modify M3 springs to fit non-M strut mounts: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=1000631

mkodama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 01:20 PM   #45
Xtiananything

My Ride: '01 330i Mtech1
okay guys i have a question... I lowered my car(330i) yesterday on tein-s tech springs. after installing the tein springs, i found out that all 4 corners shocks/struts were blown. My car was sitting really low (about 2 inch drop). The mechanic said that my car was sitting really low because my shocks/springs were out. I can't afford koni/bilsteins shocks atm and there is someone local to me selling a full set of m3 suspension. From research, i found out i can directly swap out the rear shocks of an m3 to non-m but how would i go about doing the front. Would i still be able to use my tein (non-m) springs on m3 front struts and top hats? What else would i need to replace and/or tweak. any info would help. thanks guys!
Xtiananything is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 01:58 PM   #46
Mango
A full five stars, son

My Ride: M54B30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xtiananything View Post
okay guys i have a question... I lowered my car(330i) yesterday on tein-s tech springs. after installing the tein springs, i found out that all 4 corners shocks/struts were blown. My car was sitting really low (about 2 inch drop). The mechanic said that my car was sitting really low because my shocks/springs were out. I can't afford koni/bilsteins shocks atm and there is someone local to me selling a full set of m3 suspension. From research, i found out i can directly swap out the rear shocks of an m3 to non-m but how would i go about doing the front. Would i still be able to use my tein (non-m) springs on m3 front struts and top hats? What else would i need to replace and/or tweak. any info would help. thanks guys!
1) I've already addressed the shocks/struts being blown. I've told the forum over and over that your stock struts/shocks, if original OE, are blown after 40k miles.

2) The used M3 stuff you're going to buy will also be considerably reduced in capability if not severely blown.

3) As discussed, it's not a direct swap. You'd need M3 front strut mounts which would blow your budget.

My advice to you is to save up for stuff you really want instead of installing junk on your car then spending even more money and time later installing the stuff you really want.

Don't nickel and dime things. Do it right the first time. GL!

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 11:15 PM   #47
///M Protocol
Banned User

My Ride: i3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mango View Post
1) I've already addressed the shocks/struts being blown. I've told the forum over and over that your stock struts/shocks, if original OE, are blown after 40k miles.

2) The used M3 stuff you're going to buy will also be considerably reduced in capability if not severely blown.

3) As discussed, it's not a direct swap. You'd need M3 front strut mounts which would blow your budget.

My advice to you is to save up for stuff you really want instead of installing junk on your car then spending even more money and time later installing the stuff you really want.

Don't nickel and dime things. Do it right the first time. GL!
mango...what is the benefit or installing m3 suspension on a non m3 car? does the cost justify the experience?
///M Protocol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 03:30 PM   #48
Mango
A full five stars, son

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M Protocol View Post
mango...what is the benefit or installing m3 suspension on a non m3 car? does the cost justify the experience?
IMO, none. Installing an M3 "suspension" usually means M3 struts and shocks. M3 struts and shocks are usually used (who buys brand new OE M3 struts and shocks) and used stock BMW struts/shocks are usually degraded or blown after 40k. So by installing used worn suspension parts on your car, you aren't really doing yourself any favors.

If one wants to go through the trouble, then sure, no problem. But installing used M3 stuff is more trouble than its worth, IMO, and may end up causing your car to handle worse or best case, no better.

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 10-07-2013, 03:43 PM   #49
///M Protocol
Banned User

My Ride: i3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mango View Post
IMO, none. Installing an M3 "suspension" usually means M3 struts and shocks. M3 struts and shocks are usually used (who buys brand new OE M3 struts and shocks) and used stock BMW struts/shocks are usually degraded or blown after 40k. So by installing used worn suspension parts on your car, you aren't really doing yourself any favors.

If one wants to go through the trouble, then sure, no problem. But installing used M3 stuff is more trouble than its worth, IMO, and may end up causing your car to handle worse or best case, no better.
thanks and totally agreed
///M Protocol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 04:24 AM   #50
mkodama

The M3 suspension have benefits if you want a sportier ride and more aggressive alignment compared to non-M suspension, and the design of the strut mounts is stronger and longer lasting.

If you don't want to make your car sportier and deal with a rougher ride and altered alignment settings, then no, there aren't any benefits. Functionally, everything is very similar, that's why they can be swapped.

mkodama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 07:53 PM   #51
Alex323Ci

My Ride: M3 & 323Ci (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by silyb0y View Post
I know for a fact that non-M-shock-absorbers are twin-tube-design.
yes i already posted that back in jan in post #13. but looks like the OP finally fixed this and edited it out now several months later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkodama View Post
and how to modify M3 springs to fit non-M strut mounts: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=1000631
that has to be the worst thing you can do to a set of springs. cutting a section of coil out that's not a "dead section" is like changing the whole spring rate and matched set of springs. that's Honda stuff. Don't cut your coils in your springs.
Old 12-08-2013, 03:23 AM   #52
ac_2007

My Ride: E46 - M3 & 325i
Switching gears a little bit, how would a set of Non-M ST Coilovers fit on an M3?

It seems like the rear shock/spring combo is a direct fit.
Aside from using M3 front strut mounts, would anything else be needed for the front installation?
Old 12-10-2013, 12:13 PM   #53
ac_2007

Re: Differences Between Non-M and M3 Suspension

Anyone?
Old 12-11-2013, 01:46 AM   #54
cyberkaa

Location: Sunnyvale, CA <-- Ithaca, NY <-- dirty jerz (201) Useful Posts: 25
My Ride: E46 332i,M3;E30 325i
Send a message via ICQ to cyberkaa Send a message via AIM to cyberkaa Send a message via MSN to cyberkaa Send a message via Yahoo to cyberkaa
Quote:
Originally Posted by ac_2007 View Post
Switching gears a little bit, how would a set of Non-M ST Coilovers fit on an M3?

It seems like the rear shock/spring combo is a direct fit.
Aside from using M3 front strut mounts, would anything else be needed for the front installation?
Yes, the rear setup is a direct fit.
M3 strut mounts don't fit properly on non-M dampers. The fronts will fit with non-M strut mounts, but keep in mind that the camber and caster will change relative to the original M3 suspension. Camber plates would be a good addition.

M3 drive train conversion (S54 Swap, LSD, 6MT, suspension linkage) | UUC Stg 2 Organic Clutch | OEM M-Tech II Kit
KW V2 | BBS GT4 RE | Falken FK452 | Alcon 6-pot 365mm BBK | M3 steering wheel | Powerflex bushings

Quote:
Originally Posted by koven View Post
i'd rather be gapless with no bulge
cyberkaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 08:22 AM   #55
Jimfred

My Ride: 2004 325 coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberkaa View Post
M3 strut mounts don't fit properly on non-M dampers. The fronts will fit with non-M strut mounts, but keep in mind that the camber and caster will change relative to the original M3 suspension. Camber plates would be a good addition.
But would the alinement be good enough for a couple of months?
Jimfred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 04:30 PM   #56
Mango
A full five stars, son

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimfred View Post
anyone's guess. the more you drive on a misaligned car the faster your tires will wear. it might introduce dangerous handling situations at the limit too. best to do it the right way all at once.

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 12-14-2013, 07:05 PM   #57
ac_2007

Quote:
Thanks Kalim.

So aside from the offset camber, the non-M coilovers with non-M front mounts would be a direct bolt on to an M3?
Old 12-14-2013, 07:36 PM   #58
cyberkaa

Send a message via ICQ to cyberkaa Send a message via AIM to cyberkaa Send a message via MSN to cyberkaa Send a message via Yahoo to cyberkaa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimfred View Post
You'll have slightly less caster and more negative camber than OEM M3 suspension at the same ride height, which should be fine. The toe will need to be corrected soon, though. I don't think I'd go as far as driving for a few months with the front end misaligned.

M3 drive train conversion (S54 Swap, LSD, 6MT, suspension linkage) | UUC Stg 2 Organic Clutch | OEM M-Tech II Kit
KW V2 | BBS GT4 RE | Falken FK452 | Alcon 6-pot 365mm BBK | M3 steering wheel | Powerflex bushings

Quote:
Old 12-14-2013, 07:42 PM   #59
cyberkaa

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac_2007 View Post
Thanks Kalim.

So aside from the offset camber, the non-M coilovers with non-M front mounts would be a direct bolt on to an M3?
You're welcome.

Yes, they should drop right in. You will need to remove the alignment pin on the passenger side non-M mount to fit an M3 strut tower, IIRC. Looking from the front, the M3 strut mount pins are both behind the stud whereas the non-M mounts are universal left/right, so one pin ends up being in front of the stud.

Quote:
Old 12-14-2013, 08:39 PM   #60
Jimfred

My Ride: 2004 325 coupe
Quote:
You'll have slightly less caster and more negative camber than OEM M3 suspension at the same ride height, which should be fine. The toe will need to be corrected soon, though. I don't think I'd go as far as driving for a few months with the front end misaligned.
I was going to get it realigned,I just didn't know if the geometry would be off to bad that I couldn't
Jimfred is offline   Reply With Quote