E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > ///M3 Forum

///M3 Forum
The BMW E46 ///M3 is the M version E46 and puts out an amazing 333 HP and 262 lb-ft of torque at stock specs! There are an amazing amount of modifications for both the coupe and convertible models so read up and get started modifying your cars today!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-16-2013, 09:29 AM   #1
Cayne23

My Ride: 2002 m3 convertible
Damn it!!!!!

Ok well I just did a new wheel bearing, front drivers side, and new front brakes. I bedded the brakes, several times 60 to 10 mph. When I hit 80 mph and apply the brakes lightly, my steering wheel shakes. Didnt do it b4 the brake change. I wonder if my rotor is warped cuz my inner pad on drivers front was worn almost to nothing, but I attribute that to the bad wheel bearing. Maybe the pads arent broken in yet. Alot of initial bite. When I did the brakes I cleaned everything really well and greased up the guide pins too. I put anti-seize where the pads sit in the caliper. Calipers were moving smoothly by hand. Dont know what it could b, but its really pissing me off

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Cayne23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 10-16-2013, 09:36 AM   #2
Cayne23

Re: Damn it!!!!!

Oh, also forgot to add, my left front tire, which is the problem I think, has slight uneven tire wear. Also I attribute to the bad bearing. The outer is worn more than anything else. Ma6be I'll take it all apart and redo it. This is bs. I've done brake jobs on all sorts of cars b4. At least 50 times and never have had any problems

Old 10-16-2013, 09:42 AM   #3
DSilk56

My Ride: M-3 Convertible
It's hard to diagnose issues without looking at the car, but the items I would look at would be:

(1) Front rotors. Are they warped? Are they worn to the point where there is a lip on the outer edge?

(2) FCABs. Are they worn? This is less likely, since you would feel the pull when you apply the brakes even at 60 mph, but it's worth checking.

(3) Ball joints.

(4) Calipers. Is it possible that the caliper on one side or the other is temporarily freezing?

Good luck.
DSilk56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 09:56 AM   #4
Cayne23

FCAB'S looked ok, no play in them. Balljoints looked good too. Maybe could be the rotor on left, but didnt do it b4 new brakes. But if the bearing and inner pad wore, I wonder if the whole tire was tilting. My initial guess is maybe a stick caliper. It only shakes if I hit the brakes at 80mph, not at 75mph. I have also been hearing an oscillating sound coming from the left front to since new pads

Old 10-16-2013, 11:22 AM   #5
stolidog

My Ride: 2004 M3 6spd
Based on what you said Im assuming you re-used the old rotors without having them machined?

Also, to add to the list you can have your wheels rebalanced. yes, this should have presented itself before the brake job... but you never know.
stolidog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 11:56 AM   #6
Cayne23

Yes these r the old rotors. My new pads r only the second set on the rotors. Rotors should b good for 2 sets of pads

Old 10-16-2013, 12:02 PM   #7
taylor192

My Ride: 2003.5 M3
Wheel shaking under braking is rotors or pads. Bearing or tires would shake all the time.

I bet your rotors were thin, then when breaking in the new pads you overheated the rotors and warped them. Measure your rotors before deciding to do only pads.
Old 10-16-2013, 01:19 PM   #8
Cayne23

But even at 75mph, I cant brake hard and there isnt any pull or steering wheel shake. I bet that bad bearing I had just messed up everything. The inner pad, that was worn down almost to nothing, outer had 1/8 inch left, probably compensated for the warped rotor thus I didnt feel it b4. Now there is a new pad with a ton of meat on it. Its showing me how warped the rotor is. Idk, just a thought

Old 10-16-2013, 01:31 PM   #9
choxor

My Ride: JDM
You should have had the rotors turned. Did you even measure them.
Old 10-16-2013, 01:49 PM   #10
alirz

My Ride: E46 M3 Coupe.2003
Its normal that it starts shaking when you hit 80 mph. You only need to go 8 mph faster and that should solve the issue.

Sorry please dont bash. I just had to say that.
alirz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 01:52 PM   #11
DSilk56

My Ride: M-3 Convertible
Sooo... You're saying that the issue is his flux capacitor? I think only DeLoreans came with one of those.
DSilk56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 02:14 PM   #12
alirz

My Ride: E46 M3 Coupe.2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSilk56 View Post
Sooo... You're saying that the issue is his flux capacitor? I think only DeLoreans came with one of those.
Exactly!
alirz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 02:17 PM   #13
Cayne23

Looking at the service records I see that front rotors only, were installed at some indy shop back on sept 23 2011. Not oem part numbers either. Were 122 each. Yup probably some cheap ass rotors that a bad wheel bearing definitely did bend. Oh and btw, looking through my rim at my brake pads, I see that only the front half of pads have made contact with the rotor. On both wheels. Pagid red pads. Maybe they arent bedded fully yet

Old 10-16-2013, 02:22 PM   #14
taylor192

My Ride: 2003.5 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cayne23 View Post
Looking at the service records I see that front rotors only, were installed at some indy shop back on sept 23 2011. Not oem part numbers either. Were 122 each. Yup probably some cheap ass rotors that a bad wheel bearing definitely did bend. Oh and btw, looking through my rim at my brake pads, I see that only the front half of pads have made contact with the rotor. On both wheels. Pagid red pads. Maybe they arent bedded fully yet

Sounds like something is not installed properly or your rotors are very warped.

I also subscribe to the 2 sets of pads per set of rotors theory... yet you still have to measure the rotors to ensure they are thick enough for the next set of pads.
Old 10-16-2013, 02:41 PM   #15
Cayne23

Well I jacked the car up. Turn the wheel. Hear a slight rub sound and then at one spot hear a louder, harder rub for a second

Old 10-16-2013, 06:17 PM   #16
Cayne23

Jacked up both sides of the car ans spun the wheels. Right side, slight rubbing all the way around. Left side, slight rubbing all the way around, then at one spot for about 1/5 around, it rubs harder. Thats the oscillating I hear. Both rotors need to be changed. Bav auto has their brand, coated like the oem's, for 69.95 each. Gonna order them. B-day is in a month. Its sad but thats how im gonna have to play it towards my wife cuz we just keep spending money on this car. Lol

Old 10-18-2013, 11:19 AM   #17
intelone

My Ride: e46 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cayne23 View Post
Ok well I just did a new wheel bearing, front drivers side, and new front brakes. I bedded the brakes, several times 60 to 10 mph. When I hit 80 mph and apply the brakes lightly, my steering wheel shakes. Didnt do it b4 the brake change. I wonder if my rotor is warped cuz my inner pad on drivers front was worn almost to nothing, but I attribute that to the bad wheel bearing. Maybe the pads arent broken in yet. Alot of initial bite. When I did the brakes I cleaned everything really well and greased up the guide pins too. I put anti-seize where the pads sit in the caliper. Calipers were moving smoothly by hand. Dont know what it could b, but its really pissing me off

You're not suppose to grease the guide pin/bolt.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2013-10-18 at 8.15.32 AM.png
Views:	150
Size:	47.0 KB
ID:	531285  

intelone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 01:09 PM   #18
Cayne23

Yea thats what I read, after some thourough digging, per the bmw tech book in brake changes. Im going to take every

Old 10-18-2013, 01:10 PM   #19
Cayne23

Everything apart tomorrow and redo