E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Lighting Forum

Lighting Forum
Angel Eyes, DDEs, lighted rings, Clear Turn Signals, LEDs, Xenon, HID, or Bi-Xenon. If it lights up and you want to discuss it, post here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 10-09-2012, 06:53 PM   #1
Qualengpro

My Ride: 2003 330xi
Auto leveling motor for bi-xenon headlights?

I have a 2003 330xi that recently developed the dreaded "droopy eyes" at start-up. I have verified that the front leveling sensor is connected OK....and had a local shop (that specializes in BMWs) run a computer test. They tell me that I need to replace my driver's side headlight assembly for about $1,300. ....I should back up and explain that when I start the car, the lights go through their initial leveling test....but don't return to the "normal" setting....so my lights don't point far enough down the road...they only shine about 40 feet (on low beam) in front of the car. Both lights do the same thing...one side is not higher than the other. I am told that the computer is "holding back" the right side because of the binding on the left side. Does that make sense? I am suspecting that the leveling motor is gone, and I am trying to see if anyone on here knows where I can get one. Thanks for your help in advance.
Qualengpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 10-09-2012, 10:23 PM   #2
Cyanide72

My Ride: 2002 325i
This exact same thing happened to me last week. I had the car inspected at two different places that specialize in BMWs, both told me the motors in the lights themselves were on their way out due to corrosion and that later on down the road I'll need to replace both headlight assemblies. I then took the car to my indy mech and I've no idea what he did but the lights are working just fine now, auto level and all. My guess is he did something to remove the corrosion in the lights or something.

As for the part required, have a look around at http://www.realoem.com/bmw/select.do

Unfortunately, I don't know the part that you (and I for that matter) need, but I'm sure someone more knowledgeable than me will come along and provide you with the correct details.
Cyanide72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 08:31 AM   #3
Qualengpro

Thanks for your input...too bad your mechanic didn't tell you what he did! It could do two things...1.) help others with the same problem, and 2.) give you a heads up if his repair was just a temporary one. I will check out your link....thanks for the help!
Old 10-10-2012, 11:01 AM   #4
Qualengpro

Arrow bi-xenon front level sensor position?

As I have said in this thread, I am having a problem with my bi-xenon headlights not auto leveling correctly. At start-up they go down as normal, but only go "up" approximately half way. Consequently, my headlights (both of them) point too low and my night visibility is restricted, especially on low beam. After searching the threads, I am wondering if my BMW technician inadvertently hit the connecting link on the front level sensor and knocked it out of position. I have seen similar threads saying the sensor arm should be "up" and not "down". But, no photos were attached to indicate what "up" means. This link seems to indicate that the sensor arm should be horizontal: http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...67&hg=31&fg=05

Can anyone out there verify to me if mine is correct, or if it got re-positioned during either a CV joint inspection, or the actual replacement later (which you can see in the photo)?? Thanks!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2003 330xi front level sensor 03.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	238.3 KB
ID:	473298  
Old 10-10-2012, 01:26 PM   #5
toy4to

My Ride: 2004 M3 AA Gen6 1.5
Easiest thing: set your vertical and horizontal aim, and then disconnect the stupid auto leveling. It's not needed.
toy4to is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 04:04 PM   #6
Qualengpro

Talking

I think I've solved the problem! I took your advice and disconnected the lower linkage arm bracket from the lower suspension arm and flipped it around so that the sensor arm itself is more-or-less horizontal as you can see in the photo. It seems to have cured the problem, but I won't know for sure until it's dark and take the car for a test drive. Thanks for all of your help!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	After changing sensor arm orientation 02.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	272.6 KB
ID:	473331  
Old 10-11-2012, 10:26 AM   #7
Qualengpro

Update: The changing of the level sensor arm to "horizontal" seems to have fixed the problem! I took it out for a test drive last night, and all seems back to normal! I can see again! Why would any technician that normally works on BMWs not know that this should be the FIRST thing to check when someone comes in with this problem? It can't be that uncommon...and when both lights are doing exactly the same thing, wouldn't you normally assume that the problem is somewhere in the system that controls BOTH lights, as opposed to thinking only ONE light assembly is broken? sheesh!
Old 10-18-2013, 02:00 PM   #8
330XIBimmerguy

My Ride: 330XI 2002
I had my axles replaced and the same thing happened to my headlights just like Qualengpro. The tech must have hit the auto level sensor arm and never re adjusted it. Damn you think techs would watch for this, with this happening I guess there is a reason why I do almost all the work on my car myself. Thank you Qualengro and fellow E46 fanatics.

Cory.
330XIBimmerguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 02:22 PM   #9
DonaldE

My Ride: 2002 330i
Yeah, there is no possibility of corrosion inside the headlight assembly for the record. I've had both motors out of my headlights and there is no way water could get in there to cause corrosion
Furthermore it's a magnetically adjusted motor.

Jet Black 2002 BMW 330i
Tan Leather Interior
OEM Style 71s
Loaded

DonaldE
DonaldE is offline   Reply With Quote