E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Political Talk

Political Talk
You may discuss anything regarding politics in this forum ONLY. If you cannot respect others opinions, your access to this forum will be removed.

Old 10-21-2013, 01:47 PM   #1
NOVAbimmer

My Ride: 14 Impala FXST M796
cannibals?

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com...014/?hpt=hp_t2

Quote:
"The single-most damaging thing that has happened to Republicans for 2014 is all of the Senate Republicans coming out, attacking the House Republicans, attacking those pushing the effort to defund Obamacare and lining themselves up opposite of the American people," Cruz told CNN Chief Congressional Correspondent Dana Bash in an interview in San Antonio.
Seems that the republicans are really turning on each other. Maybe 2014 will be a good time to run for office?
Old 10-21-2013, 02:48 PM   #2
bimmerfan08

My Ride: Phoenix Yellow M3
'Tis a good time for me to run for office in a few years. Won't be long before I'm 25.

Not even mentioning the efficiencies of larger countries.

As divided as this country is, at least we are one.
bimmerfan08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 03:00 PM   #3
MDydinanM

My Ride: is a ///M
cannibals?

Is anyone surprised when these kind of people are involved? lol

GOP has been eating their own kind for a while now. They turned on Chris Christie for dealing with Obama.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
MDydinanM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 03:28 PM   #4
Rhumb

My Ride: 2001 M3 Coupe
I think a lot of fundamental and basic schisms in the GOP are at long last becoming unglued and we're merely witnessing the beginnings of that process, not the end. The major and fairly disparate poles in the GOP that I see are:

The business establishment wing. Moderate pragmatists
The religious fundamentalist wing. Conservative theocrats
The libertarian wing. Ayn Rand anarchists.
The angry old white male wing. Rural regressives

There may be some others, of even subgroups of the above, but these seem to be the major poles that I see.

I think these quite different groups have been lashed together for the past 2-4 decades by some shared common interests that allowed them to paper over their great differences, one driving interesting mainly being in opposition to the Democrats. However, being a reactionary opposition party will only get you so far and once you hit the end of the road as to how far that gets you, the wheels start coming off the cart as we're now seeing. At some point, you have to be for more than what you're against and the deep intellectual underpinnings of the GOP has withered from the shadows cast by its more effective political efforts.

It's hardly that the Dems don't have their own factions and wings, but I think they've become much more adept at actually dealing with them rather than papering over those differences. The GOP on the other hand has typically relied much more heavily on intraparty discipline, heirarchy and order which worked well while it was working but is also proving to be a rather brittle approach that has shattered quite thoroughly.

The Dems went through a somewhat analogous period from the '60s through the '80s before doing some deep rethinking and adopting a more centrist approach to governance in the 1990s as highlighted by Bill Clinton who often many GOP/conservative ideas and policies. In tactical response, the GOP to differentiate themselves from the moderating Dems pulled ever more rightwards which eventually has given rise the the hard/radical right elements predominating today.

The GOP give some hint that they too might be ready to undertake some basic deep thinking post 2012 elections with some surprisingly frank and honest self-assessments. However, these initiatives have obviously quickly fallen to the wayside being replaced by an ever more rightward, ideological purist drive as evidenced by the nihilist government shut down, debt default fiasco. If they simply had a viable Plan B to Obama's ACA Plan A their quixotic efforts may have had some real reasonance outside the right wing echo chamber. Utterly lacking any Plan B to offer, this gambit failed of its own lack of real substance.

I fear the GOP has much more wandering in the desert before it will develop a forward looking ideology and approach to governance that can truly accomodate its now disparate factions.

Last edited by Rhumb; 10-21-2013 at 03:33 PM.
Rhumb is online now   Reply With Quote