E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > E46 Convertible

E46 Convertible
The E46 vert forum. Talk about dropping your E46 top here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-17-2013, 02:35 PM   #1
Dave

My Ride: 323,330,M3,M3,M3
Definitive answers to questions about Vert mirrors and keys

Most places you look, you'll see mirrors for sale (including my own) listed as "coupe-only." My understanding has always been that the convertibles have a receiver for the key remote that the coupes do not, and therefore there's another mirror. Someone on M3F that repairs mirrors suspects, but has not confirmed, that this receiver can't be retrofit.

When I bought my 11/03 build M3 vert in 2012, I had a leaky mirror and very weak key range. It DID work, though. My mirror was oval.

Unwilling to be mirrorless, I bought a leaking mirror from a Coupe owner and sent it for repair. It came back to me looking brand new and when I installed it, my key reception improved from terrible to slightly above terrible. (But still worse than poor.)

Confused, I decided to look up the difference. My understanding, again based mostly on word of mouth and memory, both of which can be wrong, was that maybe the verts came with a different, non-oval mirror, and that mirror had a different receiver in it.

So off to RealOEM I went...

where I learned that all coupes, pre/post 3/03 freshening, used the same part number - 51169142225 - for non-SOS mirrors. All were oval. SOS mirrors aren't oval and end in 962. Non-M verts of my vintage get the rectangle mirror, part number 51169123513 if Homelink is included and 51168257722 if it's not.

Even more interesting is that non-M non-verts don't offer the homelink one... but their rectangles are cheaper. 51169134416 (which goes back to 1992, it seems) or 51169134459 look to be the options in an 02 330Ci. (With a more expensive integrated phone option on the later years... but still no homelink.)

Do we have an expert on this? Do all M3 rear view mirrors have a key receiver? Does the convertible have a secondary key receiver? If my keys are weak should I start to blame the KEYS, not the receiver (as I previously thought)? Why are the part numbers on non-M coupes and verts different, but the parts on M3s the same?

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 10-17-2013, 05:21 PM   #2
Dave

I'm told that mirror P/Ns are unreliable, with some having the same numbers despite different features (homelink, non, etc). That's dumb.

If I pull my oval mirror (purchased from a coupe), my remote doesn't work. So that answers that question (no second receiver). But might that mean that any mirror is equipped for vert keys?
Old 10-19-2013, 08:35 AM   #3
johnrando

My Ride: '06 330 CIC ZHP
Good starting information as I'd never heard this. If I come across something I'll add. Where is cityjohn, he knows a ton about verts.

ZHP, Cold Weather Pkg., Leather, Jet Black/Black/Black Cube, NAV
AA Tune, Sprint Booster, BMW Perf. Intake, UUC TSE3 Exhaust, Dinan STEP S/W & TB, TMS Pulleys, H&R Touring Cup Kit/Spacers
DICE Ipod, Parrot/Connects2 Bluetooth, StealthOne Valentine Module, Hardwired V1
BMW Perf. Strut Brace, Orion V2 Angel Eyes, No-holes License Plate, SMG Paddle Shift Mod, Besian VANOS, Gold DISA, Fan delete
johnrando is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 10:12 PM   #4
Dave

I've learned a few more things and seen photos of the inside of the mirrors now. This coming week we're going to try to implant a radio receiver from my oval mirror into a Homelink mirror that doesn't have it.
Old 10-20-2013, 10:56 PM   #5
cityjohn

My Ride: 2001 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
Even more interesting is that non-M non-verts don't offer the homelink one... but their rectangles are cheaper.
I bought a rectangle mirror from a dealer back east that has Homelink and works with my key transmitter. I'll look up the part number fwiw.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnrando View Post
Where is cityjohn, he knows a ton about verts.
Right here John! I opened my oval mirror to find a loose grey wire that is the antenna. I'd imagine you could just add that to any mirror and figure out which pin it goes to.
Old 10-20-2013, 11:28 PM   #6
johnrando

My Ride: '06 330 CIC ZHP
Nice.

ZHP, Cold Weather Pkg., Leather, Jet Black/Black/Black Cube, NAV
AA Tune, Sprint Booster, BMW Perf. Intake, UUC TSE3 Exhaust, Dinan STEP S/W & TB, TMS Pulleys, H&R Touring Cup Kit/Spacers
DICE Ipod, Parrot/Connects2 Bluetooth, StealthOne Valentine Module, Hardwired V1
BMW Perf. Strut Brace, Orion V2 Angel Eyes, No-holes License Plate, SMG Paddle Shift Mod, Besian VANOS, Gold DISA, Fan delete
johnrando is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 11:46 PM   #7
FooFighter94

My Ride: 2001 325Cic
So you mean I'm not the only one who has to be close enough to touch my car to unlock it with the remote? Would love to know a fix for that!
-Koni Yellows, Otherwise hella stock
FooFighter94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 07:07 PM   #8
Dave

My goal is to get one of the cheaper homelink mirrors (1/3 the cost of a dealer) and mod a receiver into it. Preferably one where the antenna/receiver is more sensitive or my signal is somehow amplified.

I'd love to find some way to test whether it'd improve with a new key... before spending the money on a new key, of course.