E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning

Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning
Talk about driveline improvements, NA tuning and DME tuning your E46 BMW here. This includes diffs, intakes, exhausts, chips, software and OBD tuning.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-17-2013, 07:44 PM   #1
Gr-Racing

My Ride: 325i
Lightbulb 1,000 dollar question turbo,nitrous or swap.. Input

I have a question and would like your suggestions
The car is a 325i 04 and i want more power to match my sexy exterior lol
Here is what im looking at nitrous wet system , ebay turbo manifold and make the kit whit local parts like 2gs worth, or a 2jz swap found the engine for $1000 locally.

Yes i did the search found great stuff just looking for input.
What do you guys think?

Thanks
Gr-Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 10-17-2013, 09:04 PM   #2
Brevik

My Ride: Tiag M3
Enjoy it for what it is.
Old 10-22-2013, 09:16 PM   #3
Mcsunny

have you looked into the 2j swap? fitment install, etc? ive been curious about the 2j swap or the possibly and RB. But i would kill for an s54
Mcsunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 10:00 PM   #4
badfast

My Ride: A Car
With a 1k budget? None of the above.
badfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 10:46 PM   #5
taveet330i

My Ride: Jet Black 2002 330i
Re: 1,000 dollar question turbo,nitrous or swap.. Input

For just over 1000 you can swap a 5 speed manual if it already isn't.

[bimmerapp]

Old 10-23-2013, 09:27 AM   #6
Gr-Racing

The budget is 4 to 5k, i was just saying that found the 2jz for that $
Old 10-23-2013, 09:41 AM   #7
JJR4884

My Ride: BMW
If you have 4-5k to spend... honestly, an S54 swap would probably be your best bet, and since i've seen them cost around that much, maybe a little more, that would be your smartest choice. at least its an OEM engine... any nitrous set up will kill the longevity of your engine, and a 2jz swap is just laughable

i've been here for quite some time and have yet to see a memorable, if any, 2jz swap... we can put that 2jz discussion to bed children lol
Old 10-23-2013, 09:52 AM   #8
Gr-Racing

Their is some videos and pics of e46 whit 2jz swap
Check this one
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...=751993&page=2
Not bed time yet

Last edited by Gr-Racing; 10-23-2013 at 09:52 AM.
Old 10-23-2013, 09:55 AM   #9
Gr-Racing

S54 is 4 to 5k just by it self stock engine and no trans.
Old 10-23-2013, 01:41 PM   #10
HakenTT
OEM ///Member

My Ride: 323i with S54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gr-Racing View Post
S54 is 4 to 5k just by it self stock engine and no trans.
Do not go for S54, not much improvement for the money spent. I got one.

No hagas el S54, no tiene suficiente poder. Si eres Boricua hasta la muerte, mete le algo con turbocargacion 2jz es una Buena idea. Con boost eres un Boricua, sin boost te pareces un mejicano de mierda
HakenTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 02:44 PM   #11
fraser19

My Ride: 2004 330CI M sport.
Posts that have this,

Quote:
ebay turbo manifold
Tend to go nowhere.

The reality is you have a 325 almost always it stops there or at least does not get much further than header, CAI, under-drive pulleys and the shark. If you want a fast car buy a fast car. I think we have all been there at one point where we are excited about our new ride and want to have the fastest, cleanest most unique BMW around.

It just isn't worth while most of the time. We can buy our cars for however much for example I paid 17,000.00 for my 330CI M-sport. Prices are more in Canada unfortunately but I did OK with mine. I wanted the super charger, the ported heads the light weight fly wheel the this and that. The reality of it is I haven't done any of that.

I do maintenance on my car and keep it nice and comfortable. I have a beautiful car that looks good drives nice and exceeds all of my needs. Is it the fastest BMW around hell no but is it really slow? No not really faster than I need it to be.

Look around the forums there are guys who have taken there BMW's to new unheard of limmits before. Tirppenbeamer, PEI330, XIXIXI, Rob43 and a hundfull of other guys. A lot of the guys who went beyond the limits of most others are returned to stock and they got a different car to work on that can provide more power. There are also a few still going on to learn more about how far these cars can be pushed but I am talking about a very very small number of people.

Leave your car as it is you will likely never get it to be what you want it to be power wise. Myself I bought a motorcycle one that I can work on and build to power levels far beyond my needs for now at least.

Actual good advise, put your 5,000.00 in some mutual funds or towards a house you own or or paying down a mortgage. That's what I do, id rather drive the 330Ci now and the M6 when I am 60. Rather than the tricked out unreliable money hole 330Ci. Actually to tell the truth now that it is winter I am driving a 1996 Ford Ranger and ill tell ya it makes me miss the BMW but summer will come. If there is one thing that makes my 330CI feel like a Ferrari Enzo its driving it after 6 months of rolling in the ranger.

Last edited by fraser19; 10-23-2013 at 03:10 PM.
fraser19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 06:59 PM   #12
Gr-Racing

Quote:
Originally Posted by HakenTT View Post
Do not go for S54, not much improvement for the money spent. I got one.

No hagas el S54, no tiene suficiente poder. Si eres Boricua hasta la muerte, mete le algo con turbocargacion 2jz es una Buena idea. Con boost eres un Boricua, sin boost te pareces un mejicano de mierda
Hahahahaha siii eso va boost obligau y mucha libra pa dejarlos lokito.

Cuanto te salio toda la jugada del s54?
Old 10-23-2013, 07:08 PM   #13
Gr-Racing

Quote:
Originally Posted by fraser19 View Post
Posts that have this,

Tend to go nowhere.

The reality is you have a 325 almost always it stops there or at least does not get much further than header, CAI, under-drive pulleys and the shark. If you want a fast car buy a fast car. I think we have all been there at one point where we are excited about our new ride and want to have the fastest, cleanest most unique BMW around.

It just isn't worth while most of the time. We can buy our cars for however much for example I paid 17,000.00 for my 330CI M-sport. Prices are more in Canada unfortunately but I did OK with mine. I wanted the super charger, the ported heads the light weight fly wheel the this and that. The reality of it is I haven't done any of that.

I do maintenance on my car and keep it nice and comfortable. I have a beautiful car that looks good drives nice and exceeds all of my needs. Is it the fastest BMW around hell no but is it really slow? No not really faster than I need it to be.

Look around the forums there are guys who have taken there BMW's to new unheard of limmits before. Tirppenbeamer, PEI330, XIXIXI, Rob43 and a hundfull of other guys. A lot of the guys who went beyond the limits of most others are returned to stock and they got a different car to work on that can provide more power. There are also a few still going on to learn more about how far these cars can be pushed but I am talking about a very very small number of people.

Leave your car as it is you will likely never get it to be what you want it to be power wise. Myself I bought a motorcycle one that I can work on and build to power levels far beyond my needs for now at least.

Actual good advise, put your 5,000.00 in some mutual funds or towards a house you own or or paying down a mortgage. That's what I do, id rather drive the 330Ci now and the M6 when I am 60. Rather than the tricked out unreliable money hole 330Ci. Actually to tell the truth now that it is winter I am driving a 1996 Ford Ranger and ill tell ya it makes me miss the BMW but summer will come. If there is one thing that makes my 330CI feel like a Ferrari Enzo its driving it after 6 months of rolling in the ranger.
Yea thats also a good way to go just buy another car. But i feel the bmw needs a little extra on engine .d
I do the work my self so im thinking of putting the turbo system and thats it. Send it of to tune and run it.
no more mods for the bmw after that lol
Old 10-23-2013, 07:55 PM   #14
fraser19

My Ride: 2004 330CI M sport.
Quote:
Yea thats also a good way to go just buy another car. But i feel the bmw needs a little extra on engine .d
I do the work my self so im thinking of putting the turbo system and thats it. Send it of to tune and run it.
no more mods for the bmw after that lol
Again this almost never happens. I can only think of two turbocharged E46 325's. One of them cost over 18k to have done and I can't remember what the other one cost but I haven't heard any news on it for about a year.

If you are truly serious the only real worthwhile options are AA, ESS or VF. These cars are unbelievably unforgiving when it comes to forced induction or tuning in general.

The ESS TS2 system for the 325 is extremely impressive for the 325. However it still wont be FAST compared to what you could do with an M3 and 5 grand in mods or a 350z that could be bough cheaper than an M3 with lets say 5 grand into a supercharger or turbo. Even after the TS2 your basically at the limits of a 325's engine anyways.
fraser19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 09:53 PM   #15
badfast

My Ride: A Car
What are you trying to do with the car?

If you just want alittle extra fun, a supercharger will be plenty. I supercharged mine and its great, and does well at the track.

If you want to drag race. Forget about it.
badfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 10:15 PM   #16
Arock1092

My Ride: Bmw M3
1,000 dollar question turbo,nitrous or swap.. Input

2jz is nothing without its turbos.. S54 is n/a and delivers!.. Si tu quieres un 2jz compra un supra..

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Arock1092 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 10:22 PM   #17
Gr-Racing

Quote:
Originally Posted by badfast View Post
What are you trying to do with the car?

If you just want alittle extra fun, a supercharger will be plenty. I supercharged mine and its great, and does well at the track.

If you want to drag race. Forget about it.
Extra fun 👍
Old 10-23-2013, 10:28 PM   #18
Gr-Racing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arock1092 View Post
2jz is nothing without its turbos.. S54 is n/a and delivers!.. Si tu quieres un 2jz compra un supra..

Son ideas y inventar pensando en voz alta, no es lo mismo gastar 20k + en un supra que 5k en turbo kit o un swap .
Old 10-25-2013, 07:34 PM   #19
dardarwin01

My Ride: 330ci
1,000 dollar question turbo,nitrous or swap.. Input

These cars aren't meant to be dragged raced it's better to mod suspension than mod your engine. Go yuca belts and pulleys or better yet sell your car and buy an m3 330i with those extra 5 k depending on your 325i year and millage and maintenance and remember keep at least 2k in case if your going to buy a different car

dardarwin01 is offline   Reply With Quote