E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Health & Fitness

Health & Fitness
Discuss any topics related to heath and fitness here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-04-2012, 02:41 PM   #1
Hockeyman17

My Ride: 2005 E46 M3 SMG
Rotator Cuff pain? Anyone have it?

For about six months I've had a minor pain in my right shoulder. I believe it is the rotator cuff. It hurts to perform anything with weight above my shoulder height. My physiotherapist told me to avoid any movement that would aggravate it. I was hoping the pain would have been gone by now. Has any one else had shoulder problems similar to this? How long did it take before the pain went away?
Hockeyman17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 02:43 PM   #2
M3Inline6
I'm now boosting! Funnnn!

My Ride: 335/X5/M3/848/128i
I do, and it's mainly aggravated by heavy benching or heavy dumbbells (..but the dumbbells are much easier on my rotators). Lately benching hasn't really caused any issues, but the heavy kettlebell swings have.

Last edited by M3Inline6; 10-04-2012 at 02:44 PM.
M3Inline6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 02:49 PM   #3
mogo

My Ride: 2001 Silver 330i
Yup, similar pain, had it for a very long time, about a year, got much worse after a car accident and doesn't seem to be going away anytime soon. Best solution would be a heavy physio regiment, have them give you some simple exercises to do to strengthen your muscles around your rotator cuff. Also, it sounds like you may have some swelling in there so ice religiously, especially right after you use your arm for anything.... I mean anything at all. Good luck, I know first hand how much it sucks, and don't ignore it, it'll only get worse
mogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 02:54 PM   #4
dabears

My Ride: 2003 BMW M3
Dislocated my left shoulder skateboarding when 13 and popped it back in myself... probably not the best idea thinking back. Heavy bench and lat raises/front raises aggravate it (pops), I've compensated by going about an inch above my chest on bench instead of touching, reduces load on shoulder.

I always try and warm my shoulders up by doing arm circles and light dumbbells to get the initial "pops" out of the way... once that happens the pain disappears.

This is far from professional physio advice lol
Old 10-04-2012, 03:47 PM   #5
Ghostie

My Ride: What else?
I had the same issue last year...it started around August, I didn't start lifting again till March.

Basically, raising my left arm above shoulder level caused pain.

I had an MRI, which confirmed it wasn't a torn Rotator cuff, just an imbalance between the front and the rear delts.
If you haven't already, I would suggest going this route, so you at least know for sure what you're dealing with.

My Dr. recommended PT, but I blew it off after one session, because I could perform the exercises on my own (all they did was show me exercises that targeted the Rear Delts)

What you do on your own will significantly affect your recovery time. In my case, I saw a lot progress after I started doing the PT exercises several times a day, followed by icing it down. I also saw a chiropractor for adjustments and massages a few times

Last edited by Ghostie; 10-04-2012 at 03:49 PM.
Ghostie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 03:52 PM   #6
bwallace530

My Ride: 325
I have had 3 surgerys. I was just on a wild fire in Jackson hole wy and I tore my sub scap again. Luckily the town is doing my surgery for free on the 15
bwallace530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 04:31 PM   #7
BreakMyWallet

My Ride: B6 A4/ Mini Cooper S
baseball player here. shoulder hurts every single day. haha. you get over it. unless it restricts your strength, i would do rehab stuff as appose to surgery (assuming a section is torn)

though, overhead stuff generally involves more of a labrum issue. i had a torn labrum and surgery in 09.

right now my rotator cuff probably has some sort of tear or is inflamed. hurts when i reach back. but so many shoulder problems over the years, you learn to deal with it. doesnt hurt when i throw so i dont care.

Last edited by BreakMyWallet; 10-04-2012 at 04:31 PM.
BreakMyWallet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 03:08 AM   #8
HyeWarrior

My Ride: '03 325i --> '13 GTI
Bump

I'm in the same boat now. Strained my rotator cuff. Gonna take it easy with upper body for a while. Time to focus on cardio, legs and abs I guess...

Wow
So Amaze
Much Torque Steer
Such FWDoge
HyeWarrior is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 01:41 PM   #9
bAby norAA

My Ride: 01 BMW 330i
dont try to self diagnose. If you truly think something is wrong get an arthrogram/mri to actually diagnose it. Everyone points to the rotator cuff as the common problem when it may be your labrum, your posterior capsule, a simple impingement, etc. Each require different treatments and trying to treat yourself without knowing what is wrong could make the problem much worse.

| VF Supercharged Stage 1.5| Southbend Stage 2 Clutch | ZHP Cams | Technik Headers |
bAby norAA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 02:38 PM   #10
HyeWarrior

My Ride: '03 325i --> '13 GTI
Rotator Cuff pain? Anyone have it?

I was checked out at urgent care. The PA told me it's my rotator cuff (probably) and to take it easy. It's gotten a LOT better over the past few days. I have all of my range of motion as before, it's just sore when I try to lift anything past my shoulder. And also the infamous 'popping' sensation

Wow
So Amaze
Much Torque Steer
Such FWDoge
HyeWarrior is online now   Reply With Quote