E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Suspension & Braking

Suspension & Braking
Have some questions about suspension or brake setups for your E46 BMW? Get all your answers here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 4.50 average. Display Modes
Old 10-21-2013, 01:31 PM   #641
trj

My Ride: 325Ci
*Street Edge Coilovers Review *

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris@TSS View Post
Here is an example of how the springs are labeled.

Can you give me your measurements as outlined here?

Thanks. I will try to see if I can get you the numbers. I will remove the struts and the springs if I need to. I am going to get the measurements as well.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 10-23-2013, 01:14 AM   #642
Thekanaks

My Ride: 330i zhp

Why don't these come with shorten shock/struts to Compensate for the drop??

Thekanaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 07:49 AM   #643
stevenluczynski

My Ride: Is Steel Blue<3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thekanaks View Post
Why don't these come with shorten shock/struts to Compensate for the drop??

What?

Old 10-23-2013, 03:08 PM   #644
cisgwaping

My Ride: 330CI
Question

Anybody installed this on a 330ci? I need to know if spacers in the front is required for clearance. I have 19in M3 wheels installed right now. If I can get away with it without spending extra $$$ for spacers, might be worth to try. Please advise. TIA =)
cisgwaping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 04:14 PM   #645
trj

My Ride: 325Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris@TSS View Post
Here is an example of how the springs are labeled.

Can you give me your measurements as outlined here?
Kris, I sent you an email with the spring numbers and pictures of the installation and issues I am having.

Thanks
Old 10-30-2013, 04:35 PM   #646
Kris@TSS
Sponsor

My Ride: 2005 BMW 545i
You are too high in the front. Try adjusting it a bit lower and see if the noise goes away. If not you can send the struts in for inspection.
1-888-230-1288
kristina@thesuspensionsource.com
www.thesuspensionsource.com
Kris@TSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 12:13 AM   #647
Rezist09

My Ride: 325i sedan
Bump need pictures of settle all the way down before purchas
Rezist09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 04:12 PM   #648
FrodoTBaggin

My Ride: 2004 325i
Question for anyone still using these coilovers. I have Rial Salerno 17" with 29 mm offsets on my 325i right now. WOuld I be right in assuming that I don't need spacers with that kind of offset? My wheels already sit out as far as I want them to go and if I have to get spacers, it's a no-go...thanks in advance!
FrodoTBaggin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 04:14 PM   #649
FrodoTBaggin

Also, Kris over at the suspension source is very helpful. I bugged her via live chat on their site and she was very accomodating.
Old 12-17-2013, 12:30 PM   #650
FrodoTBaggin

Buehler? Buehler?

Anyone?
Old 12-17-2013, 12:36 PM   #651
aarondb4

My Ride: 2002 BMW 330CI Vert
No way to give you a solid answer on that. I can tell you my experience. My car had OEM Xi 17" wheels on it. It was very close with this kit. I ran it anyway and didn't have any problems, but I couldn't even get my index finger between the wheel and the coil. I moved up to 18's and was way too close. My 18's are 40 offset and were closer to the coil and too close for comfort. I could have run it but there was maybe a few 16ths of an inch of space. I got 10mm spacers and can now get an index finger between the wheel and coil. Still tight but much better.

I would say you will probably be okay but it will be very close, depends on how close you are comfortable with.

The front of my car looks great with the 10mm spacers, unfortunately the same sized spacer puts my rear wheels too close to the fender so no spacers there for now. 8mm up front and 8-10mm out back would have been ideal but I don't want to fender roll.
Old 12-17-2013, 12:51 PM   #652
FrodoTBaggin

Thanks for the response. Like I said, I'm sitting as flush to the fender as I want to get and if I get these and I need spacers, it's going to be a no go or I'm going to be looking for new wheels...wish there was a black and white answer according to a wheels offsets. From what I've read earlier in this thread, it seems like I should be ok with that type of offset...blah.

If anyone else has any input, feel free to chime in...
Old 12-17-2013, 01:18 PM   #653
aarondb4

Sorry I can't help much. I am 95% sure that my wheels are 40 offset. If that is correct and your wheels are 29 offset then you should be pretty close to where I am with my 10mm spacers. I have plenty of space between wheel and coil with the spacers on so given that you should be okay.

Perhaps there is a return policy if they don't fit? It wouldn't be too hard to just install one front and put the wheel back on to test then determine if you want to keep or not.

ETA: These coils are pretty rough as far as ride goes. The car handles like it is on rails but you definitely give up some of the "luxury". I am happy with it due to the fact that I paid $250 for my refurbed kit. Would I pay $500? Probably not. For $500 I would most likely go with lowering springs and new shocks around, somewhere in the $800 range. I think the extra $300 would be worth it for a better ride. But for the $250 I paid I can't complain at all.

Last edited by aarondb4; 12-17-2013 at 01:20 PM.
aarondb4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 01:47 PM   #654
FrodoTBaggin

That's a good point about the return policy but I don't know how keen I am on paying for the shipping to me and then paying for the shipping back just to see if they fit. That being said, I think they'll fit without spacers. I drive mostly highway miles so not as concerned about a rougher ride. i'd rather have that than sloppy.

Did you buy new strut and shock mounts? Did you use strut and shock reinforcements plates when you installed?

How low do you have yours set? Are they a little more forgiving at a higher setting? It seems like a couple of other users have said that they ride pretty nice considering they're coilovers.

These are on sale right now $350, so for that money replacing my original equipment on my $7,000 car seems like a no-brainer.
Old 12-17-2013, 01:54 PM   #655
aarondb4

Yes I bought new mounts, and reinforcement for front and back. Install was easy and I have not had any creaks, groans or crunching noise problems. They work just fine as intended.

The only concern I have about them is the rear springs. I have the front adjusted all the way down. The rears I had to adjust almost all the way up to get the back to not be too far down. I am still a little lower in the back than I am in the front but it looks close now. I recently did some rear bushings work and had to jack the suspension up without the wheel on the car so I could see what the rear spring is doing. Most of the rear spring coils are sitting flat on top of each other when the suspension is in normal position. So there isn't much spring travel at all in the rear. If you hit the right bump just right on the freeway it can bounce you pretty good, doesn't soak the bump at all.

I don't know, it is possible my rear springs are bad, not sure on that. For $350 I think they are a good deal. They do what they are intended to do and I haven't had problems with them. I haven't had much chance for spirited driving on them (the car is my wife's DD) but they are certainly workable for DD duty. In the future I may swap them for a spring and strut setup to get a little cushier ride, but only when I have some money I want to throw at the car. In the mean time these work fine and were a steal at the price I got.
Old 12-17-2013, 01:59 PM   #656
FrodoTBaggin

aaron, have you asked Kris at the suspension source about this?

Anyone else have the same issue as aaron with the back springs being compressed all the time? I read through this thread yesterday and I can't remember if anyone alse had this issue...
Old 12-17-2013, 03:28 PM   #657
Kris@TSS
Sponsor

We don't like to say which wheels with work with or without spacers. There are a lot of different combinations. For those of you with any issues or concerns please contact me directly kristina@thesuspensionsource.com
1-888-230-1288
Old 12-17-2013, 03:47 PM   #658
FrodoTBaggin

Kris, please let us know what the resolution is for aaron's rear springs. Maybe they're not mounted right? Maybe he got a set of bad springs?

It seems strange to have the springs all the way up in the rear adn they're still as low as the front springs. Something isn't right.
Old 12-17-2013, 03:52 PM   #659
Kris@TSS
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrodoTBaggin View Post
Kris, please let us know what the resolution is for aaron's rear springs. Maybe they're not mounted right? Maybe he got a set of bad springs?

It seems strange to have the springs all the way up in the rear adn they're still as low as the front springs. Something isn't right.
I will need a lot more info on the car and what not before I can say if there is anything wrong or not.
1-888-230-1288
Old 12-17-2013, 04:06 PM   #660
FrodoTBaggin

Well naturally you'll need more info...let us know your findings or what resolves the situation if you get said info.

Does anyone else have the same issue as Aaron ?