E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > E46 Convertible

E46 Convertible
The E46 vert forum. Talk about dropping your E46 top here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-23-2013, 12:10 PM   #1
aarondb4

My Ride: 2002 BMW 330CI Vert
Bluetooth Mic Placement

So I installed the Parrot bluetooth module from the DYI here. Works fine, I like having the turn by turn directions from my phone work over the speakers, and Siri works well too. Problem I am having is sound quality on actual phone calls.

The car is my wife's daily driver, with the top up and the windows up it still sounds like crap, can't make out a lot of what she is saying.

I have the mic in the grill section to the left of the interior light at the top of the windshield. Fits very well there but doesn't sound great. Anyone have a better place to put the mic in a vert? Is there an upgraded mic that I can buy that will cancel some of the noise? What has worked for everyone?

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 10-24-2013, 03:47 PM   #2
w0w

My Ride: 00 323i
Quote:
Originally Posted by aarondb4 View Post
So I installed the Parrot bluetooth module from the DYI here. Works fine, I like having the turn by turn directions from my phone work over the speakers, and Siri works well too. Problem I am having is sound quality on actual phone calls.

The car is my wife's daily driver, with the top up and the windows up it still sounds like crap, can't make out a lot of what she is saying.

I have the mic in the grill section to the left of the interior light at the top of the windshield. Fits very well there but doesn't sound great. Anyone have a better place to put the mic in a vert? Is there an upgraded mic that I can buy that will cancel some of the noise? What has worked for everyone?
I have this exact issue with my vert. I was thinking of mounting the mic either on my steering column (oem style) or mount it on top of my rearview mirror.

Last edited by w0w; 10-24-2013 at 03:48 PM.
w0w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 04:38 PM   #3
aarondb4

Went and read thru the DIY thread yesterday, looks like quite a few people have had an issue with this. Some have had to move the mic, others have wired a resistor into the mic to make it less sensitive. I ordered a noise cancelling mic yesterday, should be here next week, will update the thread once I try it out.
Old 10-29-2013, 01:46 PM   #4
johnrando

My Ride: '06 330 CIC ZHP
Let us know. I moved my Parrot Mic to the steering wheel column where the OEM mic was.

ZHP, Cold Weather Pkg., Leather, Jet Black/Black/Black Cube, NAV
AA Tune, Sprint Booster, BMW Perf. Intake, UUC TSE3 Exhaust, Dinan STEP S/W & TB, TMS Pulleys, H&R Touring Cup Kit/Spacers
DICE Ipod, Parrot/Connects2 Bluetooth, StealthOne Valentine Module, Hardwired V1
BMW Perf. Strut Brace, Orion V2 Angel Eyes, No-holes License Plate, SMG Paddle Shift Mod, Besian VANOS, Gold DISA, Fan delete
johnrando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 01:54 PM   #5
aarondb4

Got the mic in the mail this past weekend but was out of town. The cord they sent with it is not long enough so I am going to pick up a longer cord today and hopefully get it installed and tested tonight. Will post up my findings.
Old 10-30-2013, 10:46 AM   #6
johnrando

Cool. I should point out that I spliced the OEM mic onto the Parrot wire as the Parrot mic would not fit into that small OEM slot on the steering column.

AA Tune, Sprint Booster, BMW Perf. Intake, UUC TSE3 Exhaust, Dinan STEP S/W & TB, TMS Pulleys, H&R Touring Cup Kit/Spacers
DICE Ipod, Parrot/Connects2 Bluetooth, StealthOne Valentine Module, Hardwired V1
BMW Perf. Strut Brace, Orion V2 Angel Eyes, No-holes License Plate, SMG Paddle Shift Mod, Besian VANOS, Gold DISA, Fan delete

Last edited by johnrando; 10-30-2013 at 10:46 AM.
Old 11-15-2013, 10:22 AM   #7
aarondb4

Got the mic installed and tested it in a few different places, finally settled on a place that works well and is a stealth install. Will take pics and do a small write up on my findings asap.
Old 11-15-2013, 05:33 PM   #8
w0w

My Ride: 00 323i
i pulled the mic out of the grill and mounted it above the rear-view mirror. people can finally hear me although its a bit low (probably too far away), lookin forward to see where you put it
Old 11-15-2013, 06:32 PM   #9
johnrando

Yes, def interested in where you put it, how it sounds, and exactly which mic you used.

Last edited by johnrando; 11-15-2013 at 06:33 PM.
Old 11-15-2013, 07:07 PM   #10
Bird-Dog

My Ride: 2004 330Cic ZHP
Not Parrot, but I put my DICE mic in the rearview mirror bracket cover. It works as well as can be expected (junk). Install should be similar, though grommet size might be different.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DICE-mic.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	86.2 KB
ID:	534971

DIY: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=1013426
Bird-Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 06:58 PM   #11
aarondb4

Ok, here are my findings on bluetooth mic placement.

I read the DIY thread for installing the parrot system from front to back and found that some were having success by wiring in a resistor to the mic that comes with the kit. That is more than I wanted to tackle so I went on a search for a new mic.

Here is what I came up with for a mic.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16836191010

Claims to be noise cancelling, I don't know about that but the sound is decently crisp and sounds much better than the old mic. Most of that is likely my placement change. But this is a high quality mic and is worth the $12-15 IMO, it comes with everything you need and is powered by the parrot unit. Some of these lapel mics require their own battery, this one does not.

I originally put the mic where I had the old one, behind the grill next to the overhead light.

I had my wife drive the car while I stood on the side of the road. I had her talk while going from 0-60mph. Behind the grill was not great for sound quality. It was fine while she was sitting still but once the engine got going it was hard to hear her.

Second test was to hang the mic outside the grill. Sounded much better but I wanted a stealth install. I thought about cutting a small hole in the grill the put the tip of the mic through but decided that that might not be best with the top down. There would be a lot of wind noise up there. Unfortunately it was about 45 degrees during our testing so no top down.

I did some reading online and found that most high end convertibles have their BT mic mounted to the steering wheel column.

So for the next test I had the wife drive while holding the mic on top of the column.

The sound was decent here but once again I thought I might have a hard time hiding the mic well enough to make me happy. So we decided to try elsewhere.

Next test I had her put the mic inside the sunglasses holder and close the drawer.

The background noise was slightly lower here. But with the door closed her voice was muffled. With the door opened it sounded the best out of any place we had tested so far.

So that lead me to trying to find a place in the center console to mount and hide the mic. I think this is a good place as the sound was good here and I think it will have the least amount of wind noise with the top down. Much better than top of the windshield anyway.

My car has the smokers package. This renders the lower tray basically useless for anything other than smoking. So I decided this was the place to mount the mic.

I removed the cig holder and found the mic fit behind it quite well. So I mounted the mic to the back of the removable cig holder. Then I had to remove the actual tray and drill a hole through it to run the wire. The mic comes with a wire that is long enough to run from this location to the glove box, the wire is nice and thin so it worked well and allowed the tray to be put back in place.

I had to remove the shifter surround to run the wire. With the shifter surround off you can remove the lower screws for the sunglasses console and get a bit more room to work. Once the wire was run I drilled my hole in the main ashtray then mounted the mic to the removable cig tray and put it all in place. I ran the wire between the console and the carpet, then all the way back to behind the glove box. The wire running was quite easy.

So here is the finished product. Sounds muffled with the door closed, but if you can remember to open the door when you receive or make a call it sounds very good. Looks completely stock with the door closed and not too bad with it open. Makes decent use of the smokers area that is otherwise pretty useless.

It is not perfect as far as sound goes. There is still a background noise that is prevalent once moving. The noise sounds like you are on an airplane, it gets loudest around 40mph but stays the same up to 70 and beyond. The noise is quieter than the background noise I had with the old mic. It is much easier to distinguish the voice from background noise now. Before the BT was unusable unless standing still. Now my wife can call me while on the freeway and I can understand every word. I wouldn't want to have a conference call with an important client with it, but for short calls it finally serves its purpose.

According to my wife I am very easy to understand when I am driving at any speed. Her voice being much higher pitched doesn't come through quite as well as mine I don't think but I can definitely understand her easily.

So there it is. Not perfect, but for the money I have into it it works very well and it is nice to finally have the convenience of BT and actually be able to use it to have a real conversation.
Old 11-17-2013, 07:02 PM   #12
aarondb4

Forgot to mention I first tried it on the right side of the cig holder, it sounded good but sounds better closer to the driver so I moved it to where you see it now.

Should work fine for driver or passenger to talk.

Also the mic comes with a wind sock but it sounds crisper without. Will re-evaluate that this Spring when the top goes down again.

Last edited by aarondb4; 11-17-2013 at 07:03 PM.
aarondb4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 01:45 PM   #13
johnrando

Thanks. So, you cut the Parrot wires and wired this mic in, or did this "plug in" to your parrot unit? My parrot unit is in the rear of my car due to NAV.

Old 11-18-2013, 02:13 PM   #14
aarondb4

My Parrot unit just has a standard 1/8 or 3.5 jack for the mic to plug into. This mic comes with the cord you need, I just had to unplug the old mic and plug this in. Worst part was taking off the glove box for the 100th time.