E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Suspension & Braking

Suspension & Braking
Have some questions about suspension or brake setups for your E46 BMW? Get all your answers here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-06-2013, 04:02 PM   #1
Chrsb5

My Ride: 2004 330i
New Stoptech rotors warped/vibration. WTF?

About a month and a half ago I installed a Stoptech "stage 2" brake kit. It consisted of SS lines, pads, slotted rotors and fluid. I needed to flush my brakes anyway and thought why not do it all when I'm in there so I won't have to think about it for quite a while and will know everything is all fresh. I took the same approach when doing my suspension too. Replaced the control arms and FCABS with the same "do it once/while I'm in there" mentality.

But back to the brakes. I properly bedded in after the install following the several 60-45 mph stops and 60-10 mph stops method from http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30386

Over the course of the next 500 or so miles the front rotors developed a nice vibration. Under braking I could definitely feel the vibration pulse in both the pedal and steering wheel.
Today I took the front brakes apart to examine things a bit more closely. When I removed the caliper and spun the rotor, I could see and feel that it was out of round, also when I spun it by hand with the caliper on, it touched the pads inconsistently. I reinstalled the old OEM rotors with the same pads and it's smooth as silk, not a vibration.

I found this thread http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=999946
where the knowledgeable Mango(thanks for the cooling system info!) believes its crap quality rotors that will warp. I was under the impression that I had purchased good stuff, Stoptech being a reputable brand and all.
Is this a fluke, is it even worth going to Stoptech to try and get replacement rotors ? The brakes was the last step in my get everything up to spec process.
I'm a bit bummed out and pissed because they certainly were not inexpensive. Where do I go from here ?

Last edited by Chrsb5; 08-06-2013 at 04:32 PM.
Chrsb5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 08-06-2013, 05:23 PM   #2
Zell

My Ride: '02 Dogemobile Shibe
In your case since you spent quite a bit of change on those rotors - call StopTech and see what they say. You could have just gotten a bad rotor. Even with good and expensive parts you could simply get a bad one, and it is very rare, yes, but not impossible. I had a single bad brand new Lemforder FCAB once. Didn't know until about 500 miles later as well. I called the company up and got them both replaced for free, and I sent the old ones back.

In my case, the thread you linked, the best solution for me is to get some new pads/rotors and see how it goes.
Old 08-06-2013, 05:33 PM   #3
Mango
Over 15,000 visitors

My Ride: M54B30
As someone said BB gets their rotors from "Centric" which supplies Stoptech with their rotors, this is starting to all make sense now. Maybe don't go with low volume "exotic" expensive rotors. Go something that's reputable and solid.

Personally, I went with Brembo blanks and ATE pads with a quality install and have 35k trouble free hard braking miles including track duty. Smooth as glass.

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 05:35 PM   #4
Mango
Over 15,000 visitors

BTW, you guys take a chance when you go "rogue" and buy these cutesy little brake packages that sound all exotic and high performance like from these tiny little vendors which are basically dudes in their living rooms putting together boxes of parts to sell (not naming any particular vendors). Go with known stuff. Stop hipstering your cars for no reason.

OVER A MILLION VIEWS

Last edited by Mango; 08-06-2013 at 05:36 PM.
Old 08-06-2013, 05:48 PM   #5
Zell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mango View Post
As someone said BB gets their rotors from "Centric" which supplies Stoptech with their rotors, this is starting to all make sense now. Maybe don't go with low volume "exotic" expensive rotors. Go something that's reputable and solid.

Personally, I went with Brembo blanks and ATE pads with a quality install and have 35k trouble free hard braking miles including track duty. Smooth as glass.
You realize StopTech is an OEM supplier for other car brands, right?

And that StopTech is a very well-known and respected company, and is used by Toyota for their F-series cars?

You're taking two data points - This guy and I, and making an entire conclusion about a company because they happen to not be an OEM supplier of BMW?

Now I know for a fact you're trolling.
Old 08-06-2013, 05:55 PM   #6
Mango
Over 15,000 visitors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zell View Post
You realize StopTech is an OEM supplier for other car brands, right?

And that StopTech is a very well-known and respected company, and is used by Toyota for their F-series cars?

You're taking two data points - This guy and I, and making an entire conclusion about a company because they happen to not be an OEM supplier of BMW?

Now I know for a fact you're trolling.
I've linked stoptech articles before the existence of your account here. Of course I know.

I know you would hit back hard with an attitude--don't wonder why I won't help you. I withheld my information on purpose cause I knew you'd respond this way.

Keep up with the attitude when I offer to help you. At the end of the day you are the one with brake problems, not me.

GL

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 08-06-2013, 06:11 PM   #7
Zell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mango View Post
I've linked stoptech articles before the existence of your account here. Of course I know.

I know you would hit back hard with an attitude--don't wonder why I won't help you. I withheld my information on purpose cause I knew you'd respond this way.

Keep up with the attitude when I offer to help you. At the end of the day you are the one with brake problems, not me.

GL
See what it's like when other people respond in the same condescending manner that you do? Pretty annoying, isn't it?

Good thing this is a forum with 2500 active people every day, in addition to the plethora of other BMW forums out there.
Old 08-08-2013, 08:42 PM   #8
Chrsb5

I really thought I was buying high quality parts, certainly not scrimping on something as critical as brakes. Thought by buying all the components from a "reputable" source like Stoptech I'd be saving myself from headaches and all the parts would work well together. Mango, first a big thank you for all the info you've posted. It's guided me through doing a ton of upkeep on my 330i, especially the cooling system and suspension refresh. I'm way ahead of things at 74k miles. "Stop hipstering your cars for no reason." Gotta love it!

My first course of action is to get in contact with Stoptech and hopefully get a pair of replacement front rotors. Hopefully they'll work and not be all vibrating.
Old 08-14-2013, 09:15 PM   #9
Brickhole

My Ride: 325i

That stopping speed seems dramatic. getting them hot isn't the goal, bring them up to temp, yes but 60-45 and then 60-10 seems to fast. Also. What if they don't grab the first time!?! I usually do a few slow stops in the parking lot. Then I go do a couple from 35-10 or so then maybe a couple more after that from 45. Then just drive normally to let them cool off a bit stopping smoothly.

Also your alignment may be off if the CA bushings have been bad for a while. That could be showing up through the tires.

Definitely talk to stoptek though.

NEW just stands for NeverEverWorked.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

Last edited by Brickhole; 08-14-2013 at 09:18 PM.
Brickhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 05:55 PM   #10
Chrsb5

To bring my old thread back from the depths with a update. For a time I took the Stoptech rotors off and put the somewhat worn OEM ones back on, they have a bit of a lip but nothing drastic and drove around for a while with nary a vibration or stutter. Trying to breathe some life into the Stoptech rotors that I paid a pretty penny for I took a random orbital finishing sander to them, thinking I had uneven pad deposits on the rotors causing the vibration. To back up for a moment, I did contact Stoptech via email, they fed me the line about deposits and told me there was absolutely nothing they were willing to do for me at all and to contact the place I bought the brakes from. Having already dealt with returning a set of CSL replica wheels that cracked on the centerbore from the same vendor, and having a nightmare of a time at it (actually this is how I ended up with the StopTech kit, couldn't get a refund, so I took a credit and got the brake kit) but I digress, I polished the rotors nice and clean with 320 grit paper till the surface was smooth and even and then bedded them in again to no avail, the vibration was slightly lessened, but still very apparent.
So I'm left to order another set of rotors and pads. The rears seem fine but I've lost all confidence in StopTech products. I'm leaning toward Brembo blanks and ATE pads, suggestions for where to buy with best price are welcome
Old 10-25-2013, 01:15 AM   #11
e4603

My Ride: #3 bus
I had genuine BMW 2-piece drilled rotors on the e46. As they are no longer available, I bought Power Slot rotors as replacement. I had good experience with StopTech 2-piece Aero rotors on my NSX when I did a lot of track days, so I figured I'll try Powerslot which is the same Centric/StopTech family. I installed the front rotors + new Textar pads, and they developed a vibration shortly after. I was way too busy around that time, so I eventually paid a local shop to remove/resurface/reinstall the rotors, and the rotors worked fine afterwards. Since your rotors are already off the car, it won't cost much to resurface them; the labor cost to remove/reinstall the rotors were much higher.

Very disappointed with Centric...
e4603 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 08:58 AM   #12
Llink78

My Ride: 2002 330i
i have the bmw drilled rotors as well. Liked them so much i picked up 2 more complete sets for when they run down. When these are gone ill prob just go to bremo blanks

234HP/197TQ Just bolt ons :)
Llink78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 12:09 PM   #13
Chrsb5

Quote:
Originally Posted by e4603 View Post
I had genuine BMW 2-piece drilled rotors on the e46. As they are no longer available, I bought Power Slot rotors as replacement. I had good experience with StopTech 2-piece Aero rotors on my NSX when I did a lot of track days, so I figured I'll try Powerslot which is the same Centric/StopTech family. I installed the front rotors + new Textar pads, and they developed a vibration shortly after. I was way too busy around that time, so I eventually paid a local shop to remove/resurface/reinstall the rotors, and the rotors worked fine afterwards. Since your rotors are already off the car, it won't cost much to resurface them; the labor cost to remove/reinstall the rotors were much higher.

Very disappointed with Centric...
Can you elaborate about resurfacing slotted rotors ? I was under the impression that it wasn't possible to "cut" a slotted rotor, as the cutting bit on the lathe would catch and gouge in the slots. The Stoptechs are currently on the car, that's been sitting in the garage for the last week or so, but one way or another they are coming off.

Old 10-27-2013, 11:00 PM   #14
Fkn330i

My Ride: 2001 330i

No problem at all machining slotted rotors, I do so frequently. Measure for thickness, take it to a reputable shop that uses fresh bits and knows how to clean prior to machining and make sure you clean well before install.

Fkn330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 07:19 PM   #15
e4603

My Ride: #3 bus
As Fkn330i said, slotted rotors can be resurfaced. Keep us posted on your progress.

Llink78, good call in having multiple sets of the BMW rotors. I also had an extra set, but at 1 time I considered replacing the car so I sold it below cost to a friend. Oh well...
e4603 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 11:35 PM   #16
Chrsb5

Thanks for the replies about resurfacing the slotted rotors.
Honestly I got tired of dealing with the bullshit. Since I initially installed the Stoptechs, I've done what amounts to a brake job 4 or 5 times in the past two months and I've had enough. I Installed the Stoptechs, reinstalled the original rotors, sand papered the stoptech rotors and pads, swapped them back in re bedded in ect ect ad nauseam and enough is enough.
I am almost done installing a new set of Brembo blank rotors and Akibono Euro ceramic pads. Had to stop working on the car for the evening for dinner, then time with the mrs and since the garage is under the master bedroom, it looks like it's going to stay 3/4 completed till tomorrow. I placed the order for the new brakes last Friday evening from bmaparts.com and to my suprise the arrived this afternoon. Free UPS ground shipping too.

It sucks that I am out over a thousand dollars between the two sets of brakes but hopefully this will be the last time for quite a while that I have to deal with them.
Old 10-29-2013, 03:52 PM   #17
Fkn330i

If you want to give me the stop techs I'll pay shipping haha

Old 10-29-2013, 04:37 PM   #18
Chrsb5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fkn330i View Post
If you want to give me the stop techs I'll pay shipping haha

Got anything to trade ?
Old 11-02-2013, 10:44 AM   #19
Fkn330i

Nope. I'm new to the BMW scene I haven't amassed a collection of spare parts yet