E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-23-2013, 04:03 PM   #201
Fergo

My Ride: still a gay 135i
Honestly, all the options in pacman are pretty overwhelming at first. But after a couple weeks of tweaking it, it has to be my favorite rom I have run so far.
You can fine tune juuuuuuust how you want it and it's oh so nice

2 easy 2 make hp turbos
all cash
Fergo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 04:06 PM   #202
cowmoo32
drunken science

My Ride: Trek 1.5
Pretty much what I expected. I freaked out last night because I didn't get CM flashed until around midnight only to find out Google Play wasn't there and I couldn't restore with Titanium Backup. Now I know I have to flash the google apps separately. It's thinks like that that I want to get nailed down before jumping into 100000x options in a ROM.

flickher

What's this about a brownie in motion?
cowmoo32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 04:14 PM   #203
'busa

My Ride: E90 335i (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowmoo32 View Post
Pretty much what I expected. I freaked out last night because I didn't get CM flashed until around midnight only to find out Google Play wasn't there and I couldn't restore with Titanium Backup. Now I know I have to flash the google apps separately. It's thinks like that that I want to get nailed down before jumping into 100000x options in a ROM.
There's seems to be lots of things to know in the beginning, but after you do it a few times, it becomes second nature. I've flashed 3 or 4 ROMs during the course of a work day before, just to see what they're like.
Old 10-23-2013, 04:17 PM   #204
cowmoo32
drunken science

I've read some thigns about flashing from the phone itself....? Is there an app for it? I've been using terminal to push the ROMs and do all the booting/recovery mode stuff.

flickher

Old 10-23-2013, 04:24 PM   #205
'busa

Quote:
I've read some thigns about flashing from the phone itself....? Is there an app for it? I've been using terminal to push the ROMs and do all the booting/recovery mode stuff.
I'm not sure how it works on the One, but on my phone, I'd download the ROM to the phone (or to the PC, then just put in any folder on phone) and flash from TWRP.

Is that what you mean?

You're S-Off, right? So no need to flash boot.img separately?
Old 10-23-2013, 04:26 PM   #206
SteveFromNY

My Ride: Audi Q5, 330i ZHP
Quote:
I use one of these...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Click image for larger version

Name:	amazon.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	48.4 KB
ID:	531975

Last edited by SteveFromNY; 10-23-2013 at 04:27 PM.
SteveFromNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 04:36 PM   #207
jeffro3000

My Ride: 2000 328i
Re: HTC One

Yea, my usual process was just go to get.cm (shortest website name ever), download the latest nightly and reboot into recovery mode to flash it. CM and most other ROMS have an option to reboot to recovery or bootloader straight from the power menu, it can be enabled in developer settings if it's not on by default. Advanced reboot menu.

Oh yea, tap the build number in "about phone" 4 or 5 times to enable developer settings.

I use clockwork mod recovery (CWM) but that's just because I started this whole flashing thing before TWRP was out. They both get the job done.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
jeffro3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 04:40 PM   #208
jeffro3000

One more thing: I saw this today and it looked pretty useful. I checked out the CM infographic and it covered several of the main features, not nearly all though. Still informative, especially for a first time user.

http://www.reddit.com/r/Android/comm...n_and_omnirom/

Old 10-23-2013, 05:46 PM   #209
cowmoo32
drunken science

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'busa View Post
I'm not sure how it works on the One, but on my phone, I'd download the ROM to the phone (or to the PC, then just put in any folder on phone) and flash from TWRP.

Is that what you mean?

You're S-Off, right? So no need to flash boot.img separately?
Yeah, S-off. Is TWRP just another recovery image like Clockwork mod recovery?
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffro3000 View Post
Yea, my usual process was just go to get.cm (shortest website name ever), download the latest nightly and reboot into recovery mode to flash it. CM and most other ROMS have an option to reboot to recovery or bootloader straight from the power menu, it can be enabled in developer settings if it's not on by default. Advanced reboot menu.

Oh yea, tap the build number in "about phone" 4 or 5 times to enable developer settings.

I use clockwork mod recovery (CWM) but that's just because I started this whole flashing thing before TWRP was out. They both get the job done.

Sweet, I was wondering how to get to developer mode. Is TWRP better than CWM? I'm using CWM right now.

flickher

Old 10-23-2013, 05:51 PM   #210
'busa

Quote:
Yeah, S-off. Is TWRP just another recovery image like Clockwork mod recovery?
Yeah. I've been using TWRP since I started, so it's what I prefer.

Quote:
Sweet, I was wondering how to get to developer mode. Is TWRP better than CWM? I'm using CWM right now.
Is CWM touch based or do you use it through volume buttons. TWRP is touch screen based.
Old 10-23-2013, 05:55 PM   #211
cowmoo32
drunken science

CWM uses volume buttons. Fuuuuck, I guess I have to start over

flickher

Old 10-23-2013, 06:14 PM   #212
jeffro3000

There is a touch version. That's what I have. The volume button one is from the old days lol

Sorry, i guess i forgot the non-touch version existed, or I would have steered you away from it.

Last edited by jeffro3000; 10-23-2013 at 06:17 PM.
Old 10-23-2013, 06:25 PM   #213
cowmoo32
drunken science

Backing up now, about to throw TWRP on there. You'd think the rooting guides from a month ago would have recommended TWRP not CWM

flickher

Old 10-24-2013, 12:15 PM   #214
cowmoo32
drunken science

So it turns out my MMS isn't working at all, and that's why my group messaging won't work either.

flickher

Old 10-24-2013, 12:31 PM   #215
bry330i

My Ride: 2002 330i
Quote:
So it turns out my MMS isn't working at all, and that's why my group messaging won't work either.
can't you just use the stock rom? sense 5 really that bad?
bry330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 12:44 PM   #216
cowmoo32
drunken science

No, I actually liked it, but I wanted to check out other ROMs too, and group messaging wasn't working with Sense 5 which was my main reason for rooting.

flickher

Old 10-24-2013, 12:49 PM   #217
bry330i

My Ride: 2002 330i
Quote:
No, I actually liked it, but I wanted to check out other ROMs too, and group messaging wasn't working with Sense 5 which was my main reason for rooting.
didnt know group messaging didnt work with sense 5. that could be a deal breaker for some. u can always use whatsapp or viber as an alternative.
bry330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 01:19 PM   #218
jeffro3000

I've noticed a lot of Galaxy phones can't do group messaging either. Idk why these companies can't get it right. Nexus phones with a stock build work just fine. Somewhere somehow Sense or Touchwiz screwed something up and broke it.

I'd bet money there's an AOSP rom out there somewhere (with working mms) that does group messaging no problem. I remember having some MMS problems with CM back in the gingerbread days, but I would have thought that was a thing of the past...

If you get on the forums at XDA and ask around I'm sure someone can help you out.

Old 10-24-2013, 01:35 PM   #219
cowmoo32
drunken science

My friend has a rooted S3 that works fine, he's running AOKP so I might give that shot tonight. I don't understand why it's such a big deal. With all the tech and software out there you'd think sending a message to a group of people would be trivial.

flickher

Old 10-25-2013, 04:56 PM   #220
cowmoo32
drunken science

Installed Pacman, really like it, but I still can't get group messages from iphone users. I'm able to MMS and group chat with other android people though, so it's a step in the right direction. Do any of you have problems with group chat and iphones?

And I'm thinking about giving BoneStock a shot because honestly I like blinkfeed, the TV remote app is awesome, and the stock camera app is the only one I've found that makes use of 120fps.

flickher

Last edited by cowmoo32; 10-25-2013 at 04:57 PM.