E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Suspension & Braking Forum by BimmerWorld

Suspension & Braking Forum by BimmerWorld
Have some questions about suspension or brake setups for your E46 BMW? Get all your answers here!
Sponsored by BimmerWorld

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-24-2013, 05:36 AM   #1
cpetrice

My Ride: 2003 M3
Dreaded 4 yellow dash lights on, assistance needed!

I came back from a long weekend, started 2003 M3 after 4 days of it sitting in the driveway. Instantly it beeped, the DSC, Low tire pressure, hand brake and SMG light came on.
Before I get flamed, I've searched the forums on 3-4 different sites, and it seems to be a p*ssing contest on what to change fix, or just a blog of "I have that problem, mine does this..." I need real help, someone who has had this issue, and what they did to fix it please!

Resetting the tire pressure does nothing, DSC button won't turn on or off, traction control is disabled. Lights come on at startup, never go off. Nothing I am doing is turning the lights off.

Suggested fixes are
battery
alternator
steering wheel sensor
speed sensor
salmon colored relay
top off brake fluid.

Things I have done
Changed the salmon colored relay a month ago (reverse lights won't light up, read it could be the relay)

Took it to Autozone (I know, I know!) to have the code read, said no codes present.

Battery was checked 2 months ago by Advance auto, said it was fine. It is the original battery I believe. Also to note, it was 40 degrees when I started it when I got back. IF it is the battery, I know batteries show weakness in cold weather.

Brake fluid is less than 1/4 inch from max, will top it off to see tonight.

Any help is appreciated.
cpetrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 10-24-2013, 04:42 PM   #2
Brissyjohn

My Ride: 2003 325ti
I don't have an M3 (unfortunately I'm too poor) and cannot give you a definitive fix, but those warning lights seem unrelated and spurious.

I'd be suspicious of the battery. I know they last a long time but 10 years..... If the temp was 40 degrees (= F?) then a temp that cold could cave the battery enough on start to cause crazy electrical issues. Also, there were no codes stored, so either the code reader (person or device) is no good or there actually are no codes or actual faults.

If you replace the battery, it won't be money wasted. A quality one will last another 10 years.
Old 10-24-2013, 06:31 PM   #3
cpetrice

Good advice, thank you!
Old 10-25-2013, 07:55 PM   #4
cpetrice

Went into diagnostics, battery looks good, on and started, so alt is good too. Put in new battery anyways, no change, all the lights stay on. I checked all the fuses in the glovebox, all good. Notice the smg light stays on for like 5 seconds after car shuts off.
Old 10-27-2013, 01:37 AM   #5
Brissyjohn

So are any fault codes stored now?
Old 10-27-2013, 07:04 PM   #6
cpetrice

Not sure, would a CEL show up after a battery swap? And if so, I hope Autozone can read the code, I found it odd that they said nothing showed when I had 4 lights on!
Old 10-27-2013, 07:35 PM   #7
Brissyjohn

I cannot see why a battery change would cause a CEL. You probably need to get the codes read by someone who has the correct equipment and knowledge to check all the car's systems.
Old 10-28-2013, 03:07 AM   #8
cpetrice

Yeah, didn't sound right to me either. I will see if there is a local shop who won't charge me a fortune to get it looked at. Thanks John