E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > E46 Convertible

E46 Convertible
The E46 vert forum. Talk about dropping your E46 top here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-24-2013, 07:42 PM   #1
Dave

My Ride: 323,330,M3,M3,M3
Hmmm... suddenly now nothing works except the first step

So I changed out my alternator earlier and after a few hours I got gremlins. The exact same ones another guy got when he did the same job... except in addition, now the top doesn't work at all.

It's down, and I went to move the tonneau just to replace the little plastic spring loaded piece, and the solenoid fired and released it and that was it.

Pushing it up myself got it part way, and it stayed, and then when hitting open again it went about 2 inches at a time.

The pump never attempted to fire. This feels like a fuse thing to me. And since my gremlins blew fuse 30 (oil temp gauge) I went looking for others.

But all the ones listed on the card for the power soft top (6,12?,35,42,46) were fine.

Are there others?

I'm annoyed. For two weeks now this car has been a Murphy's law car.

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 10-25-2013, 10:56 AM   #2
taylor192

My Ride: 2003.5 M3
If its going "2 inches at a time" then everything is working, just not well. This tells me you are low on fluid and the pump is having to re-pressurize the system constantly, leading to the slow jerky movement.

You've posted you had a leak before, did you ever resolve this?
Old 10-25-2013, 01:15 PM   #3
Dave

That's on the way down; the pump doesn't really operate on the step that's closing the tonneau cover. (I said open, but that's open the top, thus when closing the tonneau.)

The slow leak remains because I'm content - for now (I have other more important maintenance items ahead of it in line) - to just top off the reservoir every few weeks. I did this recently so the pump is full.

In this case, the pump isn't turning on or trying to run. At all. And given that this was 100% fine until I did electrical work, and I somehow blew other fuses on re-start too (oil temp sensor, fuse #30... btw, it's fine), to me it seems pretty clear that this is a fuse/relay issue.

I learned from a nearby shop that there's a relay behind the fuse box for convertibles. I don't really know how to test a relay, but that's going to be my next step.

Right now the top is down and if I tell it to close, the tonneau unlatches. Then that's it. No noises, no clicking, no attempts. And the last time I used the pump (putting the top down), it didn't groan or complain at all. Went down as quickly and quietly as the day it was installed.
Old 10-25-2013, 04:11 PM   #4
taylor192

My Ride: 2003.5 M3
Use a multimeter to measure voltage at the pump. If its getting power then the pump has gone bad. If its not, then its s fuse or relay or module.
Old 10-26-2013, 10:20 AM   #5
Dave

This morning I pushed the button and it went up.

Then I completely killed the alternator. It's like the car has to have something wrong with it at all times, and the problems rotate.