E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Lighting Forum

Lighting Forum
Angel Eyes, DDEs, lighted rings, Clear Turn Signals, LEDs, Xenon, HID, or Bi-Xenon. If it lights up and you want to discuss it, post here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 07-25-2013, 10:54 PM   #41
sillieidiot

My Ride: '06 AW 330ci
Send a message via AIM to sillieidiot
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW-JB View Post
To remove assy video

To remove assy pix http://www.bigpatsfans.com/hl/headlight.htm

To remove projector pix http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=332078

To remove projector video
none of those will work for a facelift coupe. btw, i believe DIY links are also posted in my thread (for taking apart headlights for the other e46s)

Have a lighting problem? Read this first:
Lighting-related Troubleshooting Guide

Last edited by sillieidiot; 07-25-2013 at 10:58 PM.
sillieidiot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 10:56 PM   #42
sillieidiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokeysevin View Post
That is sort of what I figured, I have experience doing automotive chassis and ecu wiring harnesses but I couldn't figure out how to get the damn thing out.

Thanks for the reply, is there any guide on how to remove the projector assembly from the headlight housing?

Sean
there's no guide for the FL coupe headlights. but I highly recommend that you DO NOT try to lol. it's a bitch, and you'll probably never figure out how to put it back lol

I would just try to repair the wiring with everything in place. it's a little harder to maneuver, but way easier than trying to take the projector apart without breaking anything.

normally the insulation breaks at the connector, so it's a pretty easy fix.

Old 08-12-2013, 11:53 AM   #43
smokeysevin

My Ride: R56 Mini Cooper S
I am going to give it all a shot today, I bought several sizes of heat shrink and I think I am going to try and just make one cut and shrink it over the whole thing then solder it back and cover the cut with more heat shrink.

Sean
smokeysevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 06:53 PM   #44
cpetrice

My Ride: 2003 M3
Thanks to your thread, I was able to replace my igniter on my own, much appreciated!
cpetrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 05:42 PM   #45
Cavi Mike
Banned User

My Ride: 2000 328Ci
Send a message via AIM to Cavi Mike Send a message via MSN to Cavi Mike Send a message via Yahoo to Cavi Mike
Maybe add the dash-board lights to this. All the rest of the bulbs are easy to find, the dash lights are a bit harder.
Cavi Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 05:49 PM   #46
MpoweredM
Wants to be Orange

My Ride: 1098S; RR Sport; CRZ
Sillieidiot's Lighting-related Troubleshooting Guide

Hey sillie!!!!!!!

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

Santa Hats thanks to Scott!
Click for pics of my bikes
Click for pics of my old 335
Click for pics of my old S4 avant
Click for pics of my old M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by v8 5 View Post
Constatine would of thrown his dildo at the kidnapper and proceed to cry in his closet after said kidnapper escaped.
MpoweredM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 07:40 PM   #47
sillieidiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpetrice View Post
Thanks to your thread, I was able to replace my igniter on my own, much appreciated!
you're welcome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavi Mike View Post
Maybe add the dash-board lights to this. All the rest of the bulbs are easy to find, the dash lights are a bit harder.
what do you mean by dash-board? as in the LEDs for the cluster and stuff? those aren't really user replaceable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MpoweredM View Post
Hey sillie!!!!!!!

what's up man?

Old 09-02-2013, 08:04 PM   #48
MpoweredM
Wants to be Orange

My Ride: 1098S; RR Sport; CRZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by sillieidiot View Post
you're welcome

what do you mean by dash-board? as in the LEDs for the cluster and stuff? those aren't really user replaceable.

what's up man?
You know. Staying busy with work. Saw this thread randomly pop up. Figured I would stop in and say hello! How ya been?

Santa Hats thanks to Scott!
Click for pics of my bikes
Click for pics of my old 335
Click for pics of my old S4 avant
Click for pics of my old M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by v8 5 View Post
Constatine would of thrown his dildo at the kidnapper and proceed to cry in his closet after said kidnapper escaped.
MpoweredM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 11:11 PM   #49
sillieidiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by MpoweredM View Post
You know. Staying busy with work. Saw this thread randomly pop up. Figured I would stop in and say hello! How ya been?

i see. it's been ok. how's life been for you? i haven't seen you online in months. work must be crazy for you or something.

Old 09-02-2013, 11:44 PM   #50
ti317

My Ride: 02 330ci coupe 5 spd
Quote:

I saw a DIY for the LED display but are the instrument lights fixable? My temp gauge light went out. I did a diagnostic run with INPA and when it tested the cluster, it reported an error but during the test operation the light came back on. It died again after a few days.
Old 09-03-2013, 01:27 AM   #51
sillieidiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by ti317 View Post
I saw a DIY for the LED display but are the instrument lights fixable? My temp gauge light went out. I did a diagnostic run with INPA and when it tested the cluster, it reported an error but during the test operation the light came back on. It died again after a few days.
the cluster lights are all LEDs. it's different on some clusters. it could be the LEDs that are bad or even the resistor itself. it's fixable if you know what you are doing. I'm not sure anyone knows the resistor values, so if it's that, you're generally SOL. the LEDs are easy to replace if you know how to solder surface mount LEDs

Old 09-03-2013, 05:19 AM   #52
ti317

Quote:
the cluster lights are all LEDs. it's different on some clusters. it could be the LEDs that are bad or even the resistor itself. it's fixable if you know what you are doing. I'm not sure anyone knows the resistor values, so if it's that, you're generally SOL. the LEDs are easy to replace if you know how to solder surface mount LEDs
If the resistor is standard coded, you can read its value from its color bands. My guess is, I take the cluster out, separate the main board from the housing and replace the LED and resistor. Not too many suppliers around here, should Radio Shack carry the LEDs?
Old 09-03-2013, 01:26 PM   #53
sillieidiot

Quote:
If the resistor is standard coded, you can read its value from its color bands. My guess is, I take the cluster out, separate the main board from the housing and replace the LED and resistor. Not too many suppliers around here, should Radio Shack carry the LEDs?
they are smd resistors that don't have any markings. i don't think radioshack has the LEDs. they should be plcc-2 LEDs (usually that's what they are, but some models had different LEDs). i think radioshack only sells 2-5mm LEDs.

but if they do have the LEDs, then yeah, just remove and replace. hopefully it'll work fine since we have no way of know what Vf the original LED is

Old 09-03-2013, 02:13 PM   #54
ti317

Quote:
they are smd resistors that don't have any markings. i don't think radioshack has the LEDs. they should be plcc-2 LEDs (usually that's what they are, but some models had different LEDs). i think radioshack only sells 2-5mm LEDs.

but if they do have the LEDs, then yeah, just remove and replace. hopefully it'll work fine since we have no way of know what Vf the original LED is
I think Im screwed. Since a cluster activation made it come on for a while, I'm going to try reflowing the solder joints at the LED and resistor. If that doesn't work, I'll look for a cluster to cannibalize.
Old 09-03-2013, 02:18 PM   #55
sillieidiot

Quote:
I think Im screwed. Since a cluster activation made it come on for a while, I'm going to try reflowing the solder joints at the LED and resistor. If that doesn't work, I'll look for a cluster to cannibalize.
yeah that would probably be the best solution.

Old 09-04-2013, 04:53 PM   #56
ti317

Quote:
yeah that would probably be the best solution.
Thanks. And thanks for putting this thread together. I'm sure it as helped a few people.
Old 10-26-2013, 12:15 PM   #57
fraserp

My Ride: 2006 e46 Cic
sillieidiots lighting guide

Hey, sillie, First of all GREAT write up, i hope my problem can be added to it, from reading many of your Q/A and posts you recommend checking the grounds in the vehicle as a first approach. And we do have a lot of grounds in these vehicles. Anyways my situation is i recently changed the left (driver's side) tail light because a couple of the LED burnt out. All was working good until this morning after parking the car at work i looked back and noticed the lefthand rear light was on. All other lights was off. I went back and turned on all the lights and then turned them off, i did this a couple of times but the left (driver's side) stayed on. My ride-- 2006 330Cic with Oem led tails, i am lost
fraserp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 12:27 PM   #58
ikeupinya
Stay modded my friends!!!

My Ride: shalt not be riced!!

Check your turn signal stalk, make sure it's in the off position...

Old 10-26-2013, 01:08 PM   #59
fraserp

My Ride: 2006 e46 Cic
[QUOTE=ikeupinya;157Check your turn signal stalk, make sure it's in the off position...

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app[/QUOTE]

I just went back out and tried it swear you guys are geniuses i think Pres. OBAMA should give you guys an award, well at lest a six pack or some good Jamaican weed, you guys took a load of stress off me. Thanks and thanks and its not the first time you all helped me. I owe you two six pack or, nuff respect everytime
fraserp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 04:04 PM   #60
ti317

Quote:
Originally Posted by fraserp View Post
I just went back out and tried it swear you guys are geniuses i think Pres. OBAMA should give you guys an award, well at lest a six pack or some good Jamaican weed, you guys took a load of stress off me. Thanks and thanks and its not the first time you all helped me. I owe you two six pack or, nuff respect everytime
It's a European parking light feature, shut the car off, move the stalk to the side you want to turn on and the front and rear park lights stay on. This marks the outside of the car with less drain on the battery.

Tags
angel eyes, headlight, led, tail lights, xenon