E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Political Talk

Political Talk
You may discuss anything regarding politics in this forum ONLY. If you cannot respect others opinions, your access to this forum will be removed.

Old 10-23-2013, 09:25 PM   #41
325seeeye
Core Fanatic

My Ride: 325Ci, e36 325is
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDydinanM View Post
so then what's everyone complaining about?

Summary of Marshmallow with some ad lib:

M: Government is too big!

Ok, how big is it?

M: I don't know, it's just too big!

Points to figures...

M: *mind blown* No, no, that can't be! We must cut it 90%!

Ok, what would you cut?

M: I don't know! Just cut it!

Ok, how small a government do you want?

M:
I don't know, just cut it!

I see where this is going...
This is not a response to Marshmellow, who seems freshmen in his views.

But on government size, this is a great paper I have been asking people to read. No one will take the 20 minutes to read it. I think this describes A LOT about our government's size, and provides histograms of growth. I would love to discuss this paper, after someone reads it. It is a good, non-biased paper. But I don't want to bias it by giving my conclusions after learning the historical information.

Please read. http://research.stlouisfed.org/publi...rrettRhine.pdf
Old 10-24-2013, 09:33 AM   #42
Carskibum

My Ride: E90
Send a message via AIM to Carskibum
Quote:
Originally Posted by badfast View Post
Lean.
Haha does fed practice Six Sigma?
Old 10-24-2013, 10:24 AM   #43
BB BMW

My Ride: 04 330ci ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhumb View Post
Not so much it seems, federal employment is at 47-year low
(from NYT):
Wanting a smaller government doesn't have anything to do with the number of employees.

It's ALL about how involved the government is in our every day lives.
Healthcare, education, environment, income, housing, energy, etc., etc.
While I agree that the govt needs to be involved in certain areas, it is slowly becoming involved in WAY to much.

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.
Thomas Jefferson
BB BMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 10:41 AM   #44
'busa

My Ride: E90 335i (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BB BMW View Post
Wanting a smaller government doesn't have anything to do with the number of employees.

It's ALL about how involved the government is in our every day lives.
Healthcare, education, environment, income, housing, energy, etc., etc.
While I agree that the govt needs to be involved in certain areas, it is slowly becoming involved in WAY to much.
And you have evidence to back up these claims?

I get the impression that these sort of statements are just simply the thing to say. They're gut feelings based on the general consensus of the media that you consume.

I've made the following example before about how things are getting "worse". It appears to me, based on the posts and comments posted by the Republicans, you would have screamed bloody murder in the 50's and 60's about the evil communist US government:

Quote:
"The DOJ has already dismantled a number of beer deals in the past. Anheuser was the target of one of the first cases in 1958, when it purchased Miami-based American Brewing Company. The government forced it to divest the purchase and refrain from buying any other brewery for the next five years without court approval.

A similar verdict was reached in the case of then-No. 2 Schlitz, which was challenged in court in 1966 after having bought California's third-largest brewer, Burgermeister, in 1961 and a 40 percent stake in Canada's Labatt in 1964. The company was ordered to sell off both holdings and refrain from acquiring new plants anywhere in the country for the next 10 years.

In 1959, the DOJ sued to prevent the merger of Pabst, then the 10th-largest brewer, with the 18th-biggest, Blatz. The suit was first filed in the District Court of Milwaukee but wound up in the Supreme Court, which in 1966 ruled the deal was anti-competitive and forced Pabst to divest Blatz. The justices' opinion noted that "if not stopped, this decline in the number of separate competitors and this rise in the share of the market controlled by the larger beer manufacturers are bound to lead to greater and greater concentration of the beer industry into fewer and fewer hands."
Kind of makes you wonder if the government today is really that intrusive. If anything, government has become too lenient with large companies. See above for how they used to handle this sort of thing in the 50's and 60's. How did the economy fare back then. What about now?

From 2009:
Quote:
"Both Anheuser-Busch InBev - purveyor of the president's preferred brew, Bud Light - and MillerCoors, a joint venture between SABMiller and Molson Coors, are raising prices at the same time, during a recession, and while beer demand is slumping. With an 80 percent market share between them, it almost begs for an antitrust review of the industry." http://www.nbcnews.com/id/32643705/n.../#.UR4022cyqyE
Old 10-24-2013, 11:14 AM   #45
bimmerfan08

My Ride: Phoenix Yellow M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by 325seeeye View Post
This is not a response to Marshmellow, who seems freshmen in his views.

But on government size, this is a great paper I have been asking people to read. No one will take the 20 minutes to read it. I think this describes A LOT about our government's size, and provides histograms of growth. I would love to discuss this paper, after someone reads it. It is a good, non-biased paper. But I don't want to bias it by giving my conclusions after learning the historical information.

Please read. http://research.stlouisfed.org/publi...rrettRhine.pdf
I'll try to have a look at it tonight.
"Economics cannot answer such normative or prescriptive questions about how much of our market incomes, if any, should be transferred to poor families. This is a political question that can only be answered at the ballot box, or in some countries, at the point of a gun."
bimmerfan08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 12:13 PM   #46
BB BMW

My Ride: 04 330ci ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by 'busa View Post
And you have evidence to back up these claims?

I get the impression that these sort of statements are just simply the thing to say. They're gut feelings based on the general consensus of the media that you consume.

I've made the following example before about how things are getting "worse". It appears to me, based on the posts and comments posted by the Republicans, you would have screamed bloody murder in the 50's and 60's about the evil communist US government:

Kind of makes you wonder if the government today is really that intrusive. If anything, government has become too lenient with large companies. See above for how they used to handle this sort of thing in the 50's and 60's. How did the economy fare back then. What about now?

From 2009:
No, i think for myself, I'm not just a sheep.

The Govt intrusion in EDUCATION has resulted in textbooks being re-written that actually CHANGES HISTORY. (history doesn't really change, only the way it is taught and what is added or left out of the history books)

The EPA is probably the strongest dept in govt execpt for maybe the IRS. The EPA can fine anyone it deems to have harmed the environment regardless the truth. Stories of huge fines for destroying wet lands that are actually drainage back-ups. etc.

Eminent domain passed by the USSC allows the govt to TAKE private land from individual owners for almost any purpose they see fit. This overrides what the Constitution and 4th and 5th amendments provided citizens.

Why is the govt involved in MARRIAGE?
Why is the govt involved in HEALTHCARE?
Why is the govt involved in WAGES/INCOME?
Why is the govt involved in BIRTH CONTROL?

The govt was not involved in ANY of these in the 50's or 60's.

I guess you think the govt needs to be involved in every aspect of your life. A true NANNY STATE for you.

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.
Thomas Jefferson
BB BMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 12:18 PM   #47
badfast

My Ride: A Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by BB BMW View Post
No, i think for myself, I'm not just a sheep.

The Govt intrusion in EDUCATION has resulted in textbooks being re-written that actually CHANGES HISTORY. (history doesn't really change, only the way it is taught and what is added or left out of the history books)

The EPA is probably the strongest dept in govt execpt for maybe the IRS. The EPA can fine anyone it deems to have harmed the environment regardless the truth. Stories of huge fines for destroying wet lands that are actually drainage back-ups. etc.

Eminent domain passed by the USSC allows the govt to TAKE private land from individual owners for almost any purpose they see fit. This overrides what the Constitution and 4th and 5th amendments provided citizens.

Why is the govt involved in MARRIAGE?
Why is the govt involved in HEALTHCARE?
Why is the govt involved in WAGES/INCOME?
Why is the govt involved in BIRTH CONTROL?

The govt was not involved in ANY of these in the 50's or 60's.

I guess you think the govt needs to be involved in every aspect of your life. A true NANNY STATE for you.

I really do wish govt would get out of education. That way I could educate impressionable young minds according to the truths of the world.

Last edited by badfast; 10-24-2013 at 12:19 PM.
badfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 11:25 PM   #48
Marshmallow
Yacht Club Libertarian

My Ride: E46, E30, Quattro
Bloated Federal Government Workforce???

I can't believe I missed this thread!

The Slum Lord Millionaire
"Stay Puft My Friends."

2003 BMW 325xiT "Audrey"
1987 BMW 325i "Lydia"
1990 Audi 90 Quattro Sport 20v "Chloe"

Marshmallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 04:56 PM   #49
Act of God
E46Fanatic

My Ride: 3.5 Liters of fury
Send a message via AIM to Act of God
http://cnsnews.com/news/article/ali-...sector-workers

hmmm

"The single most important thing we want to achieve is for President Obama to be a one-term president." October 23, 2010, not January 20, 2009
Act of God is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 05:03 PM   #50
MDydinanM

My Ride: is a ///M
Bloated Federal Government Workforce???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Act of God View Post
What's the problem if an employee is using their own leave (sick or annual) and being absent? It's their loss since they only take away from their accrued amount.

that's legal. Nothing sinister.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

Last edited by MDydinanM; 10-28-2013 at 05:09 PM.
MDydinanM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 06:20 PM   #51
Rhumb

My Ride: 2001 M3 Coupe
Re: Bloated Federal Government Workforce???

And another question, is the government granting too much latitude or private business not enough? And from what perspective would one judge this: immediate bottom line or a broader societal perspective, i.e. caring for family members, etc.?

Also, how does this effect such things as overall productivity, job satisfaction, turn over rates, etc.?

Interesting stats to be sure, but what truly do they mean?

Last edited by Rhumb; 10-28-2013 at 06:24 PM.
Rhumb is offline   Reply With Quote