E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > BMW Regional Forums > Regional Forums > UK

UK
Have you seen another BMW while driving around in your area? Find other members from your area in the E46Fanatics Garage HERE

If you don't have your garage setup, sign up today HERE

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 09-15-2013, 12:21 PM   #2601
Jimbow

My Ride: E46 bmw
Hey guys how we all doing
Jimbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 02:17 PM   #2602
dropbop

My Ride: 318i
Re: 318 Owners - Get In Here!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbow View Post
Hey guys how we all doing
Hey jimbow... all good across the pond thanks.

Got the car booked in for Wednesday to have the wishbones changed

If I have the cash I'll be ordering new shocks the week after.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using BimmerApp mobile app

My First BMW - E46 318i 1999
dropbop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 01:54 PM   #2603
Jimbow

I've just ordered new back lights same lights as Shaun

Can't wait for them come then going crack on with a full service

Ie :- oil, filters and new plugs
Old 09-16-2013, 03:03 PM   #2604
dropbop

Quote:
I've just ordered new back lights same lights as Shaun

Can't wait for them come then going crack on with a full service

Ie :- oil, filters and new plugs
I cant wait to start on cosmetics. . Other than replacing the front drivers side wing, new lenses are definitely on the menu!

Dont forget to post before and after pics

Old 09-16-2013, 03:35 PM   #2605
Jimbow

Will do

Hope you get yours all sorted soon mate
Old 09-16-2013, 05:21 PM   #2606
dropbop

Quote:
Will do

Hope you get yours all sorted soon mate
The main bits are almost done so feeling a lot better about her now. Got the wishbones going in on Wednesday and hopefully new shocks in 2 or 3 weeks.

Old 09-17-2013, 08:04 AM   #2607
Jmcjames

My Ride: E46 318i
Quote:
Originally Posted by dropbop View Post
The main bits are almost done so feeling a lot better about her now. Got the wishbones going in on Wednesday and hopefully new shocks in 2 or 3 weeks.

Hi dropbop, what shocks are you going to put under her? I put cheap shocks under mine - the guy in the motor factors knows me really well, so when I said they were going under a Bmr he started to laugh. I just looked at him and said "I'm not going racing or anything" his reply was "I'll see you in six months". Guess what - he was right So new shocks are on the list for me as well.
The wishbones will make a big difference - it will be like a new car.
Jmcjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 10:55 AM   #2608
dropbop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmcjames View Post
Hi dropbop, what shocks are you going to put under her? I put cheap shocks under mine - the guy in the motor factors knows me really well, so when I said they were going under a Bmr he started to laugh. I just looked at him and said "I'm not going racing or anything" his reply was "I'll see you in six months". Guess what - he was right So new shocks are on the list for me as well.
The wishbones will make a big difference - it will be like a new car.
If I get six month out of shocks ill be happy, for now I just want to get it past the test. But it will be 2 or 3 weeks before I get them in. Was supposed to get the wishboes changes tomorrow, but not happening now until next week.. my mech got a last minute ticket to Spain this morning.... good for him bad for me , but I dont mind, hes really good so I will wait..... thats if I dont just do them myself over the weekend.. My car is like nightrider at the moment, goes where it wants, have to hold on to the wheel for dear life to keep her in a straight line, hahaha

Was thinking about getting these ones... http://www.mister-auto.ie/en/shock-a...8963_g190.html

Last edited by dropbop; 09-17-2013 at 11:31 AM.
Old 09-18-2013, 03:57 PM   #2609
Jimbow

Lights have come can't wait fit tomorrow
Old 09-20-2013, 08:33 AM   #2610
Jimbow

Lights all fitted looks so much better I'll upload a pic later
Old 09-22-2013, 03:48 PM   #2611
Dave71

hi guys, been away for a while busy, done some work on the car thought i would show u,think it looks great a few odd bulbs to do "asc" button and the fog light switches,there a bit fiddly lol
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rsz_dsc_0006.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	61.1 KB
ID:	527669   Click image for larger version

Name:	rsz_dsc_0005.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	97.2 KB
ID:	527670  
Old 09-24-2013, 03:38 AM   #2612
Shaun1970

My Ride: 318i SE 2000
Send a message via MSN to Shaun1970
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave71 View Post
hi guys, been away for a while busy, done some work on the car thought i would show u,think it looks great a few odd bulbs to do "asc" button and the fog light switches,there a bit fiddly lol
That looks awesome Dave
Old 09-24-2013, 03:50 AM   #2613
dropbop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave71 View Post
I like the look of that! Is it hard to do?

Old 09-24-2013, 10:30 AM   #2614
Dave71

Cheers Shaun,drop , it aint hard to do as long as you can solder confidently and dont mind fiddly jobs that take a while, i done all of mine over a few nights when everybody was in bed just for the peace and quiet to concentrate, if you want to give it a try go for the temp control unit first, that was the easiest to do,i got all the spare units from the breakers to do it to "just in case".. the majority of the bulbs are surface mounted leds if u do a search on eBay for item no 271269055353 i bought 40 of them and i got about 6 left the window switches are 3mm 12v leds and the resister is in there just replace the led and the hazard switch is a standard size led

NOTE if you pull out your light control unit you will find its huge, is only the front part that is needed to be swapped over not the complete unit, i got a complete unit from the breakers along with other bits from an msport im robbing for bits, swapped the leds over, fitted it all together and it was fine, i noticed the next day between the mileage and trip mileage a dot had appeared, doing the Google shuffle i found it was a tamper dot, the car thought i had been messing with it and fixing the mileage, basically the back half of the unit also holds the mileage on it and was paired to the car once i swapped it back the dot went but what a stupid idea, i found so many ppl on forums panicing about this dot, and fixes for it, i found 1 forum with someone who had bought a m3 from a dealer with a light fault, he took it back they fixed the lights, but he noticed the dot afterwards and they were all telling him to get rid of and not touch it as they must have fiddled the mileage and it was dodgy , but all they had done was swap the whole light unit over not knowing what they were doing

Last edited by Dave71; 09-24-2013 at 10:30 AM.
Dave71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 04:43 PM   #2615
chelseapaul

My Ride: 05 M sport 2.0 vert
hey all,
im Paul.. from surrey (greater london)

bought my first bmw today after years of dreaming of one

only a 318ci m sport but at the age of 24 i feel lucky haha

will post pics in a second post below.. lovely british weather!

few problems ive noticed so far that i need help with:

1. the automatic up and Multi Up function isnt working... the multi button drops all windows but will only lift the rear ones! (have tried resetting as seen on a post here but not luck)

2. the drivers window automatically opens everytime i unlock and open the door.. a pain as its now winter especially! and the passengers window doesn't adjust for the roof when i open and close the door. resulting in a gap until i manually push the window inwards.

3. i want to replace the m sport steels with M3 alloys as i love them.. is it a straight swap?

4. im not a fan of wooden trim.. whats the cheapest and easiest way of replacing it all?

any help much appreciated folks, glad to become a member here
chelseapaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 04:46 PM   #2616
chelseapaul

Old 10-04-2013, 05:30 PM   #2617
Dave71

hi paul welcome,

nice convertible i only wish
i can answer a few of your questions though

no2 my windows do the same i unlock the car and it drops the front windows, been told it needs to be reprogrammed by bmw to alter the settings so ive never bothered i just press unlock twice and they stay in place, but i know what you mean about it being a pain in this weather, but it was good in the summer to let some air in when it was hot before i got in

no3 with the wheels i dont think the m3 wheels fit straight on unless you have got a set of fronts as the rears are wider and will foul on the arches, but i could be wrong, what you have got look great, there m-sport alloys and in good condition from what i can see in the pics, but i know what you mean about the m3 alloys

no4 with regards to the wood trim you could get it wrapped in what ever color or texture you like but im guessing the door arm rests would be awkward, you could have them painted and lacquerd in whatever color you fancy or get a set from ebay and swap it over take about 20 mins to swap and then sell yours to get some money back
Old 10-04-2013, 06:47 PM   #2618
chelseapaul

hey dave..

glad to know its not just a rare fault with my car then haha i read a few posts with members suggesting i need a new actuator or something for the windows..

yeah they are in ok/good condition compared to most the same age.. im just not a big fan M3 alloys would set the car off perfectly! and also i did read you need 4 front alloys.. meaning a trip to the scrappy could prove useless as they would have to break 2 different cars if they have them..

wrapped? thats a great idea! didnt think of it.. seen the new sets selling for a bomb on styling websites and stuff. might see if i can nab a nice condition silver or carbon set on ebay after payday though. ahh thats good to know its a easy job, are there tutorials and stuff on this forum anywhere?

also another question.. i like the raspy sound of the exhaust but would like something a bit more.. whats everyones opinion on the best backbox at an affordable price? mine is standard 1 pipe black exhaust. wouldnt mind a twin pipe if there not too expensive.

again.. sorry if i sound like a newb haha only had it 2 days so im still a bit excited by it all

thanks
Old 10-28-2013, 07:37 PM   #2619
dropbop

Hey guys.. hows all.

Just thought I would post something a little funny that happened to me today.

Im getting married tomorrow so went to collect the wedding dress from the shop about 35 miles from where i live.

Left the shop, drove about 3 miles and heard an almighty pop from under the bonnet. .. Low water warning light came on so pulled into a petrol station to have s look. .. bloody bottom of the radiator completely burst out..

My phone was dead so could not get any numbers from it to call anyone. The garage was just about to close.

Eventually got someone with a phone who let me call the insurance company to gey a tow truck. .. I had my 2 kids in the car too, so had to get a friend to come 30+ miles to collect them...

What an evening! Have car in driveway now thankfully.

But think im definitely going to need to replace the radiator lol

Old 10-29-2013, 03:35 AM   #2620
Jmcjames

My Ride: E46 318i
Hey!! Dropbop, congrats!!!! Hope you have a great Day Oh SLEEP WELL ...
James
Jmcjames is offline   Reply With Quote