E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > E46 Xi Forum

E46 Xi Forum
The E46 XI was produced from 01-05 in sedan and touring body styles. Powered by either a 2.5L inline 6 in the 325xi or a 3.0L inline 6 330xi. Discuss all thing about BMW AWD E46 'Xi' here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 12-05-2011, 07:43 PM   #41
latitude39

My Ride: 2002 325xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonbimmer View Post
ok a little update. the axle was fine, the seal was replaced not leaking anymore.
the noise was due to front axle low on fluid as my other thread stated.
Cardone is a pretty good replacement.
Thanks for the follow through on this thread. This information will be useful when some of us replace our next axles.
latitude39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 02:38 PM   #42
bpiecuch

My Ride: 2003 325xi
I'm not here to back Cardone or Rockauto, but here is my 2 minute story.

I just purchased and received a REMAN right front axle from Rockauto, P/N #609282. The axle was originally manufactured by "Interparts", and is NOT a remanufactured BMW axle. I called and talked to a rep about the axle, and he stated that OE axles come from many different sources, some BMW, some not. I happened to get a non-BMW axle. I was immediately given an RMA form and am sending it back. However, I do have to pay for return shipping... Good customer service. Unfortunately, this thread seems to be full of incorrect information (as usual...)

I am, again, looking for a reman BMW axle. It sounds like Pelican Parts is the best alternative? $332 for a reman, vs $589 for a new one, as of today.

Thanks.
bpiecuch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 02:45 PM   #43
markusvt

My Ride: 330xi
Hum, exactly what some of have been saying right along, could catch. POS junk!

I got mine directly from ebmwparts.com, great price, got the core charge no issue, and they were OEM! Good for 100K miles, fit PERFECT, and are WISPIER quiet. I would have tried the Pelican, but they were never in stock.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpiecuch View Post

I just purchased and received a REMAN right front axle from Rockauto, P/N #609282. The axle was originally manufactured by "Interparts", and is NOT a remanufactured BMW axle. I called and talked to a rep about the axle, and he stated that OE axles come from many different sources, some BMW, some not. I happened to get a non-BMW axle. I was immediately given an RMA form and am sending it back. However, I do have to pay for return shipping... Good customer service. Unfortunately, this thread seems to be full of incorrect information (as usual...)

I am, again, looking for a reman BMW axle. It sounds like Pelican Parts is the best alternative? $332 for a reman, vs $589 for a new one, as of today.

Thanks.
markusvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 11:45 PM   #44
Kubica

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpiecuch View Post

Thanks.
Ugh. That's not good.

So I was an early proponent of the rebuilt axles from Cardone, but I'm going to have to back track on that. Two different cardone reps have claimed they rebuild only OE cores, but that's obviously not the case.

I just got done replacing my FR cardone axle after I found a tear in the boot after only being in there 6 months. I'm on my second set of cardone remans- the first set lasted two years, which doesn't sound very good, but they were my longest lasting set. The boots never tore- the joints were just very worn.

Long story short, cardone isn't rebuilding axles to the same standard as they were a couple years ago.

My car is now on its 13th axle, 5 of which have been cardone. I would stay away from these and buy new GKN from pelican or turner. Axles from BMW are rebuilt too remember- I had worse luck with those when I was still under warranty-boot tears and big vibrations. I haven't heard of anyone having issues with GKN and they've come down in price by almost 50% in the last few years.
Kubica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 10:14 AM   #45
markusvt

You may be onto something with a possible change in procedures. Often the bean counters make what they consider to be small changes in product quality. In the end this can give an undesirable result to the end user, happens all the time!

With so many on the road, a low cost reliable solution would be awesome.
Old 08-03-2012, 01:20 PM   #46
latitude39

My PelicanParts GKN axle has made it 28k miles in 2-1/2 years. No leaks, no torn boots, no vibrations.

The cost then (Jan 2010) was $378 for the *right* front axle.

The differences with the official BMW axle from the dealer -- I went to the dealer and asked to see theirs --and the GKN from Pelican were:
1) The GKN was missing a dust shield at the interface between axle and mounting pedestal.
2) Packaging: BMW's packaging of the axle was superb, with a quality box and cardboard supports that kept the axle straight and protected while in transit. The GKN axle came in a box without any form of padding, free to flop around in the narrow confines of the box.

I'll buy GKN again.

The missing dust shield doesn't seem to be a problem. The packaging didn't seem to affect anything either.
Old 08-03-2012, 05:24 PM   #47
Kubica

^the latest cardone replacement came very badly packaged as well- I'm suprised it didn't come out of the box in transit.
Kubica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 07:52 PM   #48
EDWAGON

My Ride: 2004 325xiT
I bought ac Cardone remans from parts geek 7 months ago , kept my oems. The ac cardone reman right outer boot split after 7 months. Got supposedly a oem reman from place called speedy rack in ny for 125.

He showed my the difference between the Chinese stuff and GKN, oem and I have a feeling based on what he showed me the ac Cardones I received were Chinese remans . Let's see how long the left side lasts.

Going to get my oems remaned just not sure who to trust for that.
Old 10-29-2013, 06:58 AM   #49
EDWAGON

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDWAGON View Post
I bought ac Cardone remans from parts geek 7 months ago , kept my oems. The ac cardone reman right outer boot split after 7 months. Got supposedly a oem reman from place called speedy rack in ny for 125.

He showed my the difference between the Chinese stuff and GKN, oem and I have a feeling based on what he showed me the ac Cardones I received were Chinese remans . Let's see how long the left side lasts.

Going to get my oems remaned just not sure who to trust for that.
Well the right CV outer boot broke from speedy rack lasted a year and a half. I have ordered a reman from napa which is ac Cardone. The left side I replaced with a ac Cardone 2 years ago looks good so I am giving them a try one more time for the right side.
Old 10-29-2013, 08:13 AM   #50
SeattleLSB

My Ride: 2003 330XI
A-1 Cardone vs Cardone select difference?

Some places are shipping brand new GKN Lobro axles with dust shield and all. I bought one and it's not a rebuild its brand new. I can tell its new because the hex axle hub is not painted black and has all the GKN details engraved into it.

Joe

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

2007 TiAG/BLK 335I Sedan/6SP/Sport/Premium/Cold Weather - Sold

2003 AW/BLK 330XI/AT/Sport/Premium/Cold Weather
SeattleLSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 08:48 AM   #51
EDWAGON

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleLSB View Post
Some places are shipping brand new GKN Lobro axles with dust shield and all. I bought one and it's not a rebuild its brand new. I can tell its new because the hex axle hub is not painted black and has all the GKN details engraved into it.

Joe

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
what site u get it from ? I am trying to find a local re builder in Long Island as i have the OEM's that came with car when i bought at 34 k. like to get those back on after these fail.
Old 10-29-2013, 09:10 AM   #52
MiniXP

My Ride: 08 335i & 01 325xi
I got new GKN axles from Turner the last time I replaced mine.
Old 11-15-2013, 09:13 AM   #53
Mannydog

My Ride: '02 330Xi 5spd
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kubica View Post
Ugh. That's not good.

My car is now on its 13th axle, 5 of which have been cardone. I would stay away from these and buy new GKN from pelican or turner. Axles from BMW are rebuilt too remember- I had worse luck with those when I was still under warranty-boot tears and big vibrations. I haven't heard of anyone having issues with GKN and they've come down in price by almost 50% in the last few years.
I'm curious, how come you've gone through so many axles?
Do you have an insane amount of mileage on your car?

'02 330xi 5 spd
Mannydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 07:09 PM   #54
biglittledog

My Ride: 2002 325xiT
Send a message via Skype™ to biglittledog
I've used a 1/2 dozen or so Cardone rebuilds on our Subarus. Never had a problem. Just saying...
With the xiT, when an axle decides to get grumpy I'll probably take it off and run it down to a local rebuilder in Denver. I try to stay away from Chinese parts on general principles but my last Suby had 289k on it when I sold it and still running fine

PS- "My car is now on its 13th axle, 5 of which have been cardone." What are you doing to that car? That is incredible!
1967 Jaguar 420G
2003 Moto Guzzi 1100
1989 Honda XR600r
1968 BSA Shooting Star

Last edited by biglittledog; 11-15-2013 at 07:13 PM.
biglittledog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 01:42 PM   #55
tomoyer

My Ride: 03 325xi, 03 330xi
Send a message via Yahoo to tomoyer
I'm going to pipe in, if you need to replace one axle/half-shaft in the front, like shocks, you should do both. One place from which I acquire parts sells the EMPIs that were mentioned in another tread, no core charges, and not as expensive as BMW units but a bit more than the Cardone units. Just food for thought.
tomoyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 05:28 AM   #56
325xittt

My Ride: 2003, 325 XIT
My experience. I service a stock set up 325xi and 325xit. I replaced the axles on the xi with new non-OEM axles to save money. Then replaced the axles on the xit with reman cardones based on recommendations from this site. Neither set lasted long < 10k as daily drivers. Ouch Both sets developed bad vibrations after a short time. I've since replaced both sets again this time with new OEM axles (if I remember they were GKN's) from a site sponsor and haven't had a problem since. The less expensive non oems looked great going in. One of the remans was still ok but I replaced it anyway. I think the cheap Chinese non OEM axles are polluting the reman inventory. They look very much like an OEM as far as I can tell. GKN are not stamped with a trade mark so it is not possible to tell from a casual inspection what brand it is used. The good news is I can now change a front axle in about a hour.

Last edited by 325xittt; 11-21-2013 at 05:38 AM. Reason: trouble remembering OEM brand
325xittt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 09:57 PM   #57
Benny Minn

Quote:
Originally Posted by 325xittt View Post
My experience. I service a stock set up 325xi and 325xit. I replaced the axles on the xi with new non-OEM axles to save money. Then replaced the axles on the xit with reman cardones based on recommendations from this site. Neither set lasted long < 10k as daily drivers. Ouch Both sets developed bad vibrations after a short time. I've since replaced both sets again this time with new OEM axles (if I remember they were GKN's) from a site sponsor and haven't had a problem since. The less expensive non oems looked great going in. One of the remans was still ok but I replaced it anyway. I think the cheap Chinese non OEM axles are polluting the reman inventory. They look very much like an OEM as far as I can tell. GKN are not stamped with a trade mark so it is not possible to tell from a casual inspection what brand it is used. The good news is I can now change a front axle in about a hour.
Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but is there any way, aside from replacement, to tell if a front axel is the cause of a vibration?

I ask because I've been fighting a vibration in the steering wheel. I replaced both front axels, one with GKN and the other with a Cardone reman at the same time as new FCABs and FCAs, and an alignment. I've tried with three sets of wheels/tires, had each set rebalanced as well. I even replaced the lower steering column. I still get a vibration in the wheel. The vibration seems to be worse when it's warm outside. Brakes are next, but I'd obviously prefer some clever diagnostics over replacing more parts.

P.S. I bought the Cardone expecting it to tear and click sooner than the GKN, not to vibrate.
Old 10-05-2014, 10:04 PM   #58
markusvt

If you paid $350-$600, you got a good one with no issues. If you paid $89-$199, get ready to do it again. They vibrate way before they live long enough to tear the boots or click from age.

Last edited by markusvt; 10-05-2014 at 10:05 PM.
Old 10-06-2014, 04:33 PM   #59
Benny Minn

Quote:
Originally Posted by markusvt View Post
If you paid $350-$600, you got a good one with no issues. If you paid $89-$199, get ready to do it again. They vibrate way before they live long enough to tear the boots or click from age.
I understand from reading here that you don't like cheap CV shafts. I get it. They are an evil temptation. But, this doesn't answer my question.
Old 10-07-2014, 05:36 AM   #60
latitude39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benny Minn View Post
... vibration in the steering wheel. I replaced both front axels, one with GKN and the other with a Cardone reman at the same time as new FCABs and FCAs, and an alignment. I've tried with three sets of wheels/tires, had each set rebalanced as well. I even replaced the lower steering column. I still get a vibration in the wheel. The vibration seems to be worse when it's warm outside. ...
When did the vibration start--after doing this recent work? My only experience with vibration at the steering wheel has been solved with new FCABs but you've already done that.

Is the vibration constant, at all speeds and braking situations? Left turns? Right turns?