E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning

Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning
Talk about driveline improvements, NA tuning and DME tuning your E46 BMW here. This includes diffs, intakes, exhausts, chips, software and OBD tuning.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 10-28-2013, 09:40 AM   #341
ATLZHP6M

My Ride: TS2+ ZHP, ESS E39 M5
Still having issues with my voltage curves so please ignore any other values other than what is posted as a known working curve.

Furthermore, for those of you with MS45, I found this PDF online that has some good information on Post Cat O2 sensor operation:

During the evaluation period, the signal of the
post cat. sensor must remain within a relatively
constant voltage range (700 - 800 mV)
. The
post cat. O2 voltage remains high with a very
slight fluctuation. This indicates a further lack of
oxygen when compared to the pre cat. sensor.

ESS TS2+ Street/Track Toy
ATLZHP6M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 10:58 AM   #342
jamex

My Ride: 2005 325Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLZHP6M View Post
Still having issues with my voltage curves so please ignore any other values other than what is posted as a known working curve.

Furthermore, for those of you with MS45, I found this PDF online that has some good information on Post Cat O2 sensor operation:

During the evaluation period, the signal of the
post cat. sensor must remain within a relatively
constant voltage range (700 - 800 mV)
. The
post cat. O2 voltage remains high with a very
slight fluctuation. This indicates a further lack of
oxygen when compared to the pre cat. sensor.
but you still haven't found a known working curve for MS45 or do you think it may be isolated to just your setup? I have an MS45 and gen3 headers that I was going to install after my next inspection just to buy myself 2 years in case I had problems with the LC-1 setup.

what are the symptoms of your "issues"? are you triggering CEL? O2 missing readiness?
jamex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 05:31 PM   #343
new//M3fan

My Ride: 77' 924 87' E30
Quote:
Originally Posted by E46Enthusiast20 View Post
About 200 miles after the clear and it looks like everything's ok...

What diag prog is this?
Old 10-28-2013, 09:07 PM   #344
Llink78

My Ride: 2002 330i
PA Soft 1.4

234HP/197TQ Just bolt ons :) New Numbers Coming Soon!
Llink78 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 10:02 PM   #345
F1004fun

My Ride: '02 330Ci
The MS45 and MS43 systems should use the same voltage curve. It is just simulating the post-cat voltage of a good cat regardless of the operating system.
F1004fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 08:34 AM   #346
ATLZHP6M

Quote:
Originally Posted by F1004fun View Post
The MS45 and MS43 systems should use the same voltage curve. It is just simulating the post-cat voltage of a good cat regardless of the operating system.
You are right.
For some reason, I was led to believe there could be a small variation on the voltages needed for MS45 sensors but they really don't change that much if at all.
My issues are not necessarily related to the voltage curve I'm using but more to either my pre-cat sensors going bad or the LC1 needing calibration again.
I'll keep you guys posted once I have time to address the above,

Will.

Old 10-29-2013, 08:38 AM   #347
ATLZHP6M

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamex View Post
but you still haven't found a known working curve for MS45 or do you think it may be isolated to just your setup? I have an MS45 and gen3 headers that I was going to install after my next inspection just to buy myself 2 years in case I had problems with the LC-1 setup.

what are the symptoms of your "issues"? are you triggering CEL? O2 missing readiness?
Triggering cel with codes that either indicate I'm running too lean and sometimes codes that indicate I'm running too rich. I think the cel was initially triggered because the LC1 needs to be calibrated every so often. However, in INPA I'm seeing my pre-cat sensors voltages being too high. so we'll have to wait and see.
Previously I ran without cats with LC1 for several months without any issues.

Old 10-29-2013, 11:40 AM   #348
Dino1394

My Ride: 04 330xi
Has anybody experience a p1093/p1092 after running the LC-1 for some time?

and I cleared the codes after the installation and they never came back

Ive had a few instances where the DME would store a Pending Cat deficiency code for bank 2 but then that would clear on its own
Old 01-08-2014, 01:02 PM   #349
Dino1394

My Ride: 04 330xi
BUMP:

does the 3 month calibration require me to take to sensor out the pipe (free air)?

EDIT:NVM

Last edited by Dino1394; 01-08-2014 at 01:05 PM.
Dino1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 02:11 PM   #350
ATLZHP6M

That is correct.
I just did mine.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using BimmerApp mobile app

Old 01-12-2014, 09:35 PM   #351
F1004fun

Hey guys, I haven't checked the tread in a while. What is the issue that people are having with the MS45 DME? I know the voltage curve works for MS43.
I have found a different curve that also seems to mellow out the long term fuel mixtures too. These are .700V up to 19:1 and .050V from 20:1 on out. Make sure you have that 1/3 second delay setup in the other menu.
Old 01-13-2014, 09:21 PM   #352
ATLZHP6M

Thank you!
I'll try that new curve next. I have new pre cat sensors on order as I'm pretty sure my old ones are not functioning like they used to. My LC-1 worked flawlessly for months and of course when i needed the most my car decided to throw a CEL for a rich condition on both banks. I haven't been able to pass emissions yet.
Hopefully after I replace my pre cat sensors OBD monitors will complete and allow me to pass emissions.

Old 01-19-2014, 08:03 PM   #353
ATLZHP6M

Finally passed emissions.
My pre-cat o2 sensors were the culprit. I guess it was time to change them after 130k miles of service.
After I swapped them, my monitors completed rather quickly and the car passed the test.

Old 05-14-2014, 09:00 PM   #354
xdmikey

My Ride: e46 cabrio
Quote:
Originally Posted by TxZHP04 View Post
Nice work! I'm still glad I don't have to futz with any of this though....

How come you don't have to futz? You're in dfw; I would think that's major futzing.
Old 05-14-2014, 09:10 PM   #355
mattfarrington

My Ride: 04 325xi
Okay, so I'm a wimp and don't want o do this and mess something up... Is there anyone in the NH area (willing to travel a bit) who has done this with SUCCESS, and would be willing to give me a hand with it?

I'll be picking up an 04 M3 in a week or two and it has headers and occasionally throws an efficiency code (high flow cats). NH state inspection requires all monitors to be "Ready".
mattfarrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 10:17 PM   #356
F1004fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattfarrington View Post
Okay, so I'm a wimp and don't want o do this and mess something up... Is there anyone in the NH area (willing to travel a bit) who has done this with SUCCESS, and would be willing to give me a hand with it?

I'll be picking up an 04 M3 in a week or two and it has headers and occasionally throws an efficiency code (high flow cats). NH state inspection requires all monitors to be "Ready".
Don't be a wimp, it's not that hard. You don't have to go crazy with the heater circuit resistors. I have used 50ohm 10watt ceramic resistors on M3's with success and there not bigger then a chapstick.
The new LC-2 works really well and doesn't seem to need a recalibrate as often. The wiring isn't that hard and it's only your post-cat O2's, if you screw it up then just unplug them and drive. You only need your pre-cat O2's for closed loop mixture control. The most I have learned about cars came from working on my own cars, modifying them, screwing it up and learning what I did wrong.
Old 07-05-2014, 10:28 AM   #357
TigerTater

My Ride: 05 330i ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by F1004fun View Post
Don't be a wimp, it's not that hard. You don't have to go crazy with the heater circuit resistors. I have used 50ohm 10watt ceramic resistors on M3's with success and there not bigger then a chapstick.
The new LC-2 works really well and doesn't seem to need a recalibrate as often. The wiring isn't that hard and it's only your post-cat O2's, if you screw it up then just unplug them and drive. You only need your pre-cat O2's for closed loop mixture control. The most I have learned about cars came from working on my own cars, modifying them, screwing it up and learning what I did wrong.

Bumping this awesome thread. I have BB headers installed and Eurocharged software...but keep throwing a P0041 code...bank 1 sensor 2 and bank 2 sensor 2 swapped. I have swapped the sensors up top and also verified below that they were in the correct bank, and still get the code...so know I also can't pass the readiness check to get an inspection sticker. Im pretty sure the Eurocharged software turned off the post cat sensors so Im not sure why they're still being read as mixed up. My question is if I install the Lc2 do I need to have them turn my post cat sensors back on for this to work? Has anyone had experience with the LC-2 controller? I saw the diagram many pages back about the setup and wiring...but can anyone post updated pics or schematics with how this should be set up...Thanks
TigerTater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 07:19 PM   #358
jamex

My Ride: 2005 325Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerTater View Post
Bumping this awesome thread. I have BB headers installed and Eurocharged software...but keep throwing a P0041 code...bank 1 sensor 2 and bank 2 sensor 2 swapped. I have swapped the sensors up top and also verified below that they were in the correct bank, and still get the code...so know I also can't pass the readiness check to get an inspection sticker. Im pretty sure the Eurocharged software turned off the post cat sensors so Im not sure why they're still being read as mixed up. My question is if I install the Lc2 do I need to have them turn my post cat sensors back on for this to work? Has anyone had experience with the LC-2 controller? I saw the diagram many pages back about the setup and wiring...but can anyone post updated pics or schematics with how this should be set up...Thanks
I have BB headers as well, no euro tune and I get the standard cat efficiency codes plus the P0041 sensor swap code. I suspect its because all 4 cat readings are so similar because there's no cats that it gets confused easily with these tiny variations from pre to post.

That in mind, if you go with the wideband solution and go back to the non-euro tune, that SHOULD be all you need. So whether you need the euro tune or not, the wideband fix should cover you. My gut says you would need the non-euro tune to let the ecu report on the post cat, but the fact that you get the P0041 error while on euro tune puzzles me.

Please post back whatever you end up doing.

Last edited by jamex; 07-05-2014 at 07:22 PM.
jamex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 02:30 PM   #359
TigerTater

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamex View Post
I have BB headers as well, no euro tune and I get the standard cat efficiency codes plus the P0041 sensor swap code. I suspect its because all 4 cat readings are so similar because there's no cats that it gets confused easily with these tiny variations from pre to post.

That in mind, if you go with the wideband solution and go back to the non-euro tune, that SHOULD be all you need. So whether you need the euro tune or not, the wideband fix should cover you. My gut says you would need the non-euro tune to let the ecu report on the post cat, but the fact that you get the P0041 error while on euro tune puzzles me.

Please post back whatever you end up doing.
Yes. I am very puzzled myself. Will talk to my Tuner on Monday and see what he has to say about all of this...
Old 07-15-2014, 09:11 PM   #360
TigerTater

When people use the existing post cat sensors as the heaters instead of using the resistors, are ya'll just taping into the signal (black wire), and the ground (grey wire) of the wires after the OEM connections? Just wanting to clarify this. Would it be better to do this method or will the sensors eventually fail and need replacing, where the resistors should not fail? Thanks for all the help. I will be using the LC2 since it is the updated module.