E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

View Poll Results: Which sub setup do you think would work best for what I want
four 6" bazookas 0 0%
2 8" bazookas or slim subs(if they fit straight in" 0 0%
2 10" slim subs in a crazy custom enclosure 4 100.00%
Voters: 4. You may not vote on this poll

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 10-29-2013, 10:10 AM   #61
M_South_Afrikanna

My Ride: e46 325i
Re: Ideas for in cabin sub-woofer for the sealed sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by StereoInstaller1 View Post
Because it is inefficient, sounds horrid and makes your car rattle like a cheap Honda?

Sent from my SGH-M919 using BimmerApp mobile app

XD Thank you sir. You put into words what I was thinking
M_South_Afrikanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 10:58 AM   #62
limpiabota809

My Ride: 330 XI
Quote:
Originally Posted by stereoinstaller1 View Post
because it is inefficient, sounds horrid and makes your car rattle like a cheap honda?
+1
Old 10-29-2013, 11:11 AM   #63
limpiabota809

Quote:
Originally Posted by M_South_Afrikanna View Post
:/ was hoping to not cut the rear deck I guess I might have too. What if I just stuck A port through the seat? Like cut the foam out lace the leather and insert a port. you wouldnt even be able to tell its not supposed to be there. horrible idea but just shooting it out
80-90% of the bass is heard from where the sub is facing not the port, so yes you'll hear some bass but it won't be what you want
Old 10-29-2013, 11:11 AM   #64
limpiabota809

Quote:
Originally Posted by NumbaOneNewb View Post
The rear deck sounds interesting but that metal under the rear deck looks time consuming to cut

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
I'm pretty sure that in the picture I posted the car has HK so those subs that are in that picture are an upgrade
Old 10-29-2013, 11:33 AM   #65
StereoInstaller1

My Ride: 4 door demo booth
Quote:
Originally Posted by limpiabota809 View Post
80-90% of the bass is heard from where the sub is facing not the port, so yes you'll hear some bass but it won't be what you want
No, this is incorrect. Let me help you understand a bit more about how ports work.

Ports play lower than the woofer, to increase the low end output. They actually stop the cone from playing the lowest notes as part of their job.

The ports work by using the mass of the air compared to the mass of air loading of the woofer. By acting as if they were heavier, they cause a 180 degree phase shift in the air mass of the enclosure, which is what stops the cone motion of the woofer at the lowest frequencies and forces the ports to take over.

Additionally, they help the woofer present a consistent impedance load to the amplifier over a broader range of frequencies causing a more consistent power output at different frequencies, so the amplifier makes more power especially at lower frequencies near the tuning frequency, where sealed boxes go "flat".

If you are curious, read up on the work of A.N. Hemholtz, it is the basis of everything from tuned exhaust systems to audio systems to controlling resonances of jet aircraft engines to keep them from shredding themselves. Hemholtz basically originated resonance theory. It is pretty neat technology for 1889, but very few people understand the relationship between car interiors and subwoofers. That is one of the reasons the subwoofers we do get so much SPL with such exceptional clarity from small woofers and very little power...actual TECHNOLOGY, not just your typical "box in a trunk".

Here is an article if you would care to read: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Helmholtz_resonance

Luke
StereoInstaller1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 11:47 AM   #66
ultimatemj

My Ride: 04 E46 M3
Cutting holes in the rear deck means eye protection and laying on your back, but if don't cut into the double wall structural part, it really is not that big of a deal

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG01294.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	101.9 KB
ID:	532654

Unless you are trying to drop in some enormous subs, getting the rear deck trim off is the hard part! LOL You may need to look for sedan specific info, but here is a coupe trim removal DIY that may help you.

If you just can't bring yourself to cut, remove the rear speakers, leave the speaker holes "as is", seal up the rest of the holes in the deck, and mount from underneath.

rcurley55 mounted 4 8s from underneath, using the center knockouts for the hk sub:

But you could just do the 2 outside ones where the nearly worthless rear speakers go, which is what the JLstealthboxes did in a "prettier way"....no comment on the wiring in this borrowed pic
ultimatemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 01:32 PM   #67
limpiabota809

Quote:
No, this is incorrect. Let me help you understand a bit more about how ports work.

Ports play lower than the woofer, to increase the low end output. They actually stop the cone from playing the lowest notes as part of their job.

The ports work by using the mass of the air compared to the mass of air loading of the woofer. By acting as if they were heavier, they cause a 180 degree phase shift in the air mass of the enclosure, which is what stops the cone motion of the woofer at the lowest frequencies and forces the ports to take over.

Additionally, they help the woofer present a consistent impedance load to the amplifier over a broader range of frequencies causing a more consistent power output at different frequencies, so the amplifier makes more power especially at lower frequencies near the tuning frequency, where sealed boxes go "flat".

If you are curious, read up on the work of A.N. Hemholtz, it is the basis of everything from tuned exhaust systems to audio systems to controlling resonances of jet aircraft engines to keep them from shredding themselves. Hemholtz basically originated resonance theory. It is pretty neat technology for 1889, but very few people understand the relationship between car interiors and subwoofers. That is one of the reasons the subwoofers we do get so much SPL with such exceptional clarity from small woofers and very little power...actual TECHNOLOGY, not just your typical "box in a trunk".

Here is an article if you would care to read: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Helmholtz_resonance

Luke
Ok
Old 10-29-2013, 04:38 PM   #68
M_South_Afrikanna

Appreciate the help gentlemen. As for the port thing I was meaning to use it as an opening it's not an actual port. So the sub would still be firing forwards. The port in the foam in front of the speaker would mearly let the the air into the cabin. I'm just not sure how taky it might look. Just an idea I might have to go with deck speakers though I wouldnt mind runnin 2 tens not really much for 8s

Old 10-29-2013, 06:00 PM   #69
StereoInstaller1

My Ride: 4 door demo booth
Quote:
Appreciate the help gentlemen. As for the port thing I was meaning to use it as an opening it's not an actual port. So the sub would still be firing forwards. The port in the foam in front of the speaker would mearly let the the air into the cabin. I'm just not sure how taky it might look. Just an idea I might have to go with deck speakers though I wouldnt mind runnin 2 tens not really much for 8s

It is a technique I have used on several E30s, it works nicely. You really needn't though, the seat causes very little loss if your firewall seal is tight.

Here is what one of our customers did:

Last edited by StereoInstaller1; 10-29-2013 at 07:10 PM.
StereoInstaller1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 09:08 PM   #70
limpiabota809

Quote:

Please don't discriminate against 8's they can be very surprising look at sundown sa 8's they are something else
Old 10-29-2013, 10:03 PM   #71
M_South_Afrikanna

Quote:
It is a technique I have used on several E30s, it works nicely. You really needn't though, the seat causes very little loss if your firewall seal is tight.

Here is what one of our customers did:

sweet so it's not too bad then Thanks man you just made my mind up very helpful

Quote:
Please don't discriminate against 8's they can be very surprising look at sundown sa 8's they are something else
Lol Sorry man not trying too. Ya 8 is good but with my type of music they don't really provide the sound I'm looking for. I need something more balanced to the dub crap but still tight enough for rock. 12 is a little to loose for rock so 2 tens make up for that. Any opinions on kickers t9 I believe they are called. The 10inch square speakers. I heard good reviews on their capacity for hitting the lows.

Old 10-29-2013, 10:13 PM   #72
limpiabota809

Quote:
sweet so it's not too bad then Thanks man you just made my mind up very helpful

Lol Sorry man not trying too. Ya 8 is good but with my type of music they don't really provide the sound I'm looking for. I need something more balanced to the dub crap but still tight enough for rock. 12 is a little to loose for rock so 2 tens make up for that. Any opinions on kickers t9 I believe they are called. The 10inch square speakers. I heard good reviews on their capacity for hitting the lows.

L7 you mean?
Old 10-29-2013, 10:20 PM   #73
Circuitsoft

My Ride: 2002 325xi Wagon

Quote:
Ya 8 is good but with my type of music they don't really provide the sound I'm looking for. I need something more balanced to the dub crap but still tight enough for rock. 12 is a little to loose for rock so 2 tens make up for that. Any opinions on kickers t9 I believe they are called. The 10inch square speakers. I heard good reviews on their capacity for hitting the lows.
Different size subs being tight or loose is bunk. It all has to do with the Q of the system. The 6.5 in subs I had in my Saab played plenty low, but were a bit loose because of the enclosure (which was the front doors). I have heard sharp, tight 18 in subs, too. That all has to do with the stored energy in the system. Larger subs generally have recommended boxes that are higher Q, and have more stored energy.

If I were you, I would find a way to mount a pair of W6-1139si woofers in the rear shelf and give them 0.4 cu ft boxes, ported to 35hz.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using BimmerApp mobile app
Circuitsoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 01:44 AM   #74
M_South_Afrikanna

Quote:
L7 you mean?

ya lol thanks for fixing me I couldn't remeber the name

Quote:
Originally Posted by Circuitsoft View Post
Different size subs being tight or loose is bunk. It all has to do with the Q of the system. The 6.5 in subs I had in my Saab played plenty low, but were a bit loose because of the enclosure (which was the front doors). I have heard sharp, tight 18 in subs, too. That all has to do with the stored energy in the system. Larger subs generally have recommended boxes that are higher Q, and have more stored energy.

If I were you, I would find a way to mount a pair of W6-1139si woofers in the rear shelf and give them 0.4 cu ft boxes, ported to 35hz.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using BimmerApp mobile app

Ya your right sorry I never managed to use the right words to describe what I mean to say. I forget the technical word but what I ment by what I put is I'm looking for something with a little more boom like a dub song bass than bang like a snare. Small subs can sound as good as big ones but they lack that spl (huh I remebered the word) or boominess. So I just find a 10inch to be more to liking. I was just curious about the l7 (thanks for the correction).
I might try the w6 in the setup im thinking about ounce I can find a place that will let me hear them. But definitely cant cut the deck unfortunatly. Not with what I got. The punch outs are the route im going to take