E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-29-2013, 07:06 PM   #1
leetoranges

My Ride: 2002 BMW 330i
Worst Pain in my life!

Most stupidest thing i did while performing maintenance on my car

So i got gasoline in my ear when i was changing my fuel filter. I have NEVER ran as fast as i did to the sink, and started flushing. It started to hurt like mad, like i don't even know how to describe it, it hurt so much. I flushed for 1 hour and it still burns. I ended up going to the doctors.. I had removed the line going from fuel tank to filter, and was met with a blast of gasoline. In getting out of underneath the car i turned my head and got it in my ear. I got some on my face and eyes also but that was nothing compared to getting it in the ear. I had a catchcan ready but i didn't expect it to be that high pressure and that much would come out and barely caught it... So stupid of me.

I am fine now after a trip to the doctors.. it still burns abit, but ALOT better than what it was before. Good thing no permanent damage was done. Very painful lesson i learned today..
So i just want to say, please do not get gasoline in your ears like i did.

Last edited by leetoranges; 10-29-2013 at 07:07 PM.
leetoranges is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 10-29-2013, 07:13 PM   #2
vandyboy

My Ride: 2001 325i
That totally sounds like something that would happen to me. What did the dr. do for you - flush your ears with a solution? That must have hurt like a mf'er.
vandyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 07:14 PM   #3
330ism

My Ride: 2004 330I ZHP
Worst Pain in my life!

Advice taken!!!

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 10-29-2013, 07:21 PM   #4
///M Protocol
Banned User

My Ride: i3
you must be from California....more specifically...the ghey area

Last edited by ///M Protocol; 10-29-2013 at 07:21 PM.
///M Protocol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 07:28 PM   #5
trizzuth

My Ride: gobbles oil like a B
holy sh*T that SUCKS dude! I've had a few horrific ear aches when I was a kid that I distinctly remember, and because your ear canal is so close to the brain and there are so many nerves, I think ear pain is the worst. Thank god you are ok
Old 10-29-2013, 07:34 PM   #6
Yewzer B Lewzer

My Ride: 2003 325i
Worst Pain in my life!

Maybe this will make you feel better:

I got stung by a wasp in the sack... and I'm allergic to wasps...

Now pick yourself up and quit whining. (Just kidding glad you are ok)

'03 325i. '74 Jeep CJ-5. '93 Sailfish 170XL. '12 Westside SS Longboard. One of these four are sure to be running at any given point in time.
Yewzer B Lewzer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 07:36 PM   #7
trizzuth

My Ride: gobbles oil like a B
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yewzer B Lewzer View Post
Maybe this will make you feel better:

I got stung by a wasp in the sack... and I'm allergic to wasps...

Now pick yourself up and quit whining. (Just kidding glad you are ok)

Psssshhhttt, my buddy just got a vasectomy, and had an infection, that lasted for like 2 weeks.
Old 10-29-2013, 07:38 PM   #8
GDubois

My Ride: is slow
At least you have a new fuel filter

Congratulations.
GDubois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 08:36 PM   #9
Arnezie

My Ride: 04 325XI
Did you run the car with the fuel pump fuse out until it quit so to depressurize the system?
Arnezie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 08:44 PM   #10
Master Po

My Ride: E46 no more
Quote:
Originally Posted by trizzuth View Post
holy sh*T that SUCKS dude! I've had a few horrific ear aches when I was a kid that I distinctly remember, and because your ear canal is so close to the brain and there are so many nerves, I think ear pain is the worst. Thank god you are ok
Why would god make gasoline fall into his ear and make him suffer so much?
Old 10-29-2013, 08:53 PM   #11
leetoranges

My Ride: 2002 BMW 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by vandyboy View Post
That totally sounds like something that would happen to me. What did the dr. do for you - flush your ears with a solution? That must have hurt like a mf'er.
They just flushed it with a solution, i don't know what though, i didn't ask. They also said that my ear canal was inflamed from the gasoline, and also my hearing is just a bit muffled compared to my other ear, but they said it should clear up in 1-2 days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arnezie View Post
Did you run the car with the fuel pump fuse out until it quit so to depressurize the system?
Yeah i did, i pulled the fuse, and ran it till the car died, and i then tried starting it up 2 times after in order to "try" to get the rest of the fuel out, maybe it only got the fuel out post filter as when i pulled that one out, barely any fuel came out...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDubois View Post
At least you have a new fuel filter
Yeah my old one had a date of 10/10/08 and the fuel that came out of it was like greyish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Po View Post
Why would god make gasoline fall into his ear and make him suffer so much?
Honestly if i knew what pain i was gonna face, i wouldn't have turned my head as i tried to get out from under the car. Gasoline on the face burns a bit, but it stopped like after a few minutes of flushing.
I should just wear a Motorbike helmet next time i change the fuel filter...

Last edited by leetoranges; 10-29-2013 at 08:57 PM.
leetoranges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 09:24 PM   #12
7xWDC-MSC

My Ride: 2005 325xi
it was probably just gravity carrying the rest of the fuel out from the pump. That sucks though. I hate getting sprayed with fuel. Could be worse though. I once blew a seal on a strut heating up a bolt near it. The oil came out and instantly ignited and set my arm on fire.
Old 10-30-2013, 02:40 AM   #13
TitaniumCranium
/// Limitless

My Ride: 2002 BMW 330Ci
Worst pain of my life; ripped the ACL and the medial meniscus off the bone. Eight surgery's later, I can walk.

/// MODS
/// Auto => 6-Spd Manual Conversion | Apex EC-7 | Koni/Ground Control Coilovers | Vorshlag Camber Plates | Meyle HD LCA | PowerFlex bushings | GruppeM rep CAI | Shark Injector | 6000k HID's and Fogs | BMW European MTechII | BMW Performance Shifter | ACS Mirrors and Rear Spoiler ///
TitaniumCranium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 02:55 AM   #14
cityjohn

My Ride: 2001 M3
Oh my God. I've had Tabasco in my eye before but I think gasoline in the ear would be worse.

Must have felt like
Old 10-30-2013, 03:20 AM   #15
esberelias

My Ride: '03 325i
I usually lay to the side of the filter kinda so it just leaks in the pan on the ground and not on my period...

glad you're ok thou

Check out my ride
esberelias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 08:18 AM   #16
chudzikb

My Ride: 04 330ci
And you did it right, pulling the fuse and trying to start? Must have really needed a filter as back pressure? Always cautious around gasoline, bad things can happen in a hurry. Be glad it was not worse...
chudzikb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 11:00 AM   #17
freewheelin_76

My Ride: 2004 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7xWDC-MSC View Post
it was probably just gravity carrying the rest of the fuel out from the pump. That sucks though. I hate getting sprayed with fuel. Could be worse though. I once blew a seal on a strut heating up a bolt near it. The oil came out and instantly ignited and set my arm on fire.
Good thing I'm doing my fuel pump at the same time. I'll likely get most of that out by pulling the hose off the pump first. Actually I know I will as I've already taken it apart once and sprayed my back seat. Pulling fuse out and running car only gets so much out. You could try bleeding pressure at the valve stem on the injector rail as well.
freewheelin_76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 01:02 PM   #18
motorhead55

My Ride: 01 325it 5spd sport
Three days ago I was at a friends trans shop. He and I were talking next to a wall and a flat sided service truck was on the rack right next to us. I had just turned when a unbelievably LOUD explosion occurred less than 10 feet away from me. I hit the counter with severe pain in my ears. My friends partner lit off a big Oxy/Acetylene bomb as a ****ing prank. I can't hear very well now in my left ear which was my better ear. Right ear not good either and both are constantly ringing. Went to an ear doctor and bout all he could tell me is "Keep your fingers crossed" I'm 61 yrs old and that was about the last frigin' thing I needed.
Hope your ear gets better....Hope mine does too. I'm not a real happy camper right now!
motorhead55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 01:10 PM   #19
JuniorT

My Ride: 01 325i & 06 330 ZHP
When I did my fuel filter, I was super careful and had my face as far from it as possible. I cringed when I read this. Well, get well soon! Motorhead55 - Hope it gets better for you as well!
JuniorT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 04:10 PM   #20
WDE46

My Ride: 2004 330Ci OBM
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead55 View Post
Three days ago I was at a friends trans shop. He and I were talking next to a wall and a flat sided service truck was on the rack right next to us. I had just turned when a unbelievably LOUD explosion occurred less than 10 feet away from me. I hit the counter with severe pain in my ears. My friends partner lit off a big Oxy/Acetylene bomb as a ****ing prank. I can't hear very well now in my left ear which was my better ear. Right ear not good either and both are constantly ringing. Went to an ear doctor and bout all he could tell me is "Keep your fingers crossed" I'm 61 yrs old and that was about the last frigin' thing I needed.
Hope your ear gets better....Hope mine does too. I'm not a real happy camper right now!
I ****ing hate people that don't think their "pranks" through. You should break that guy's jaw and just say "oops, didn't mean to BRO."

Common Sense is officially dead.
WDE46 is online now   Reply With Quote