E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-30-2013, 10:53 PM   #1
Degrees

My Ride: BMW 320i
Enco/Eonon Canbus Random Start Fix

After battling with Eonon for some time trying to hold them accountable for their flawed design, I've come up with my own quick and easy solution to the annoying random mode startup issue that has plagued these units. The principle is quite simple; don't allow the canbus module to power on until the mysterious 'change mode' signal that occurs during the boot sequence has been transmitted and subsequently ignored.

I found on the canbus module connector that there is a yellow wire that receives 12v regardless of the state of the head unit, or position of the ignition key. Also on that connector is a red wire that receives 12v only when the ignition key is in the accessory position. The intention is to intercept (but not disrupt) the 12v signal on the red wire, have a delay timer wait approximately 10 seconds before the yellow wire circuit is closed.

This has been tested successfully on the Eonon D5113. I expect it will also work on the Enco B146 and other models that use the same canbus module.

Things you'll need:
A delay timer relay that operates on 12v, is able to select a delay of 10 seconds and operates in the 'delay on' condition. A quick ebay search will find you one for less than $10.
A method of soldering/splicing wires. I'd recommend using 20 gauge splices (red).
<10 minutes of your time.

Here's a poorly made diagram:

To clarify the red and black wires, on one side of the splice you will be crimping two wires and on the other side there is a single wire going to the delay timer. After installing the relay as per the crappy diagram, you'll need to adjust the delay time.

I'm going to assume you bought the same super cheap ebay relay I did. If not, you're on your own. You'll need to be turning your car on and off quite a bit for this. Adjusting the amount of time between when the voltage is received on the red wire, and the circuit is closed on the yellow can be adjusted using a No 1 flat head screwdriver to rotate the silver disk in the picture. When the predetermined amount of time has passed, a little green LED on the unit will blink to indicate the switch has closed. Ideally, you want to be able to turn your ignition to the accessory position, count to 10, then see the LED blink. Adjust as necessary.

The only real downside is if you're like me and you have a reversing camera. Because the canbus module is what signals the head unit to look at the reversing camera, you have to allow it more time to boot up. All this means is, you can't just jump into your car, throw it into reverse and expect the camera to work instantly. You have to wait about 20 seconds.. its hard, I know.

Last edited by Degrees; 12-15-2013 at 10:23 PM.
Degrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 10-31-2013, 04:07 AM   #2
asdetail

My Ride: 2002 325ci coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Degrees View Post
After battling with Eonon for some time trying to hold them accountable for their flawed design, I've come up with my own very simple solution to the annoying random mode startup issue that has plagued these units. The principle is quite simple; don't allow the canbus module to power on until the mysterious 'change mode' signal that occurs during the boot sequence has been transmitted and subsequently ignored.

I found on the canbus module connector that there is a yellow wire that receives 12v regardless of the state of the head unit, or position of the ignition key. Also on that connector is a red wire that receives 12v only when the ignition key is in the accessory position. The intention is to intercept (but not disrupt) the 12v signal on the red wire, have a delay timer wait approximately 10 seconds before the yellow wire circuit is closed.

This has been tested successfully on the Eonon D5113. I expect it will also work on the Enco E146 and other models that use the same canbus module.

Things you'll need:
A delay timer relay that operates on 12v, is able to select a delay of 10 seconds and operates in the 'delay on' condition. A quick ebay search will find you one for less than $10.
A method of soldering/splicing wires. I'd recommend using 20 gauge splices (red).
<10 minutes of your time.

Here's a poorly made diagram:

To clarify the red and black wires, on one side of the splice you will be crimping two wires and on the other side there is a single wire going to the delay timer. After installing the relay as per the crappy diagram, you'll need to adjust the delay time.

I'm going to assume you bought the same super cheap ebay relay I did. If not, you're on your own. You'll need to be turning your car on and off quite a bit for this. Adjusting the amount of time between when the voltage is received on the red wire, and the circuit is closed on the yellow can be adjusted using a No 1 flat head screwdriver to rotate the silver disk in the picture. When the predetermined amount of time has passed, a little green LED on the unit will blink to indicate the switch has closed. Ideally, you want to be able to turn your ignition to the accessory position, count to 10, then see the LED blink. Adjust as necessary.

The only real downside is if you're like me and you have a reversing camera. Because the canbus module is what signals the head unit to look at the reversing camera, you have to allow it more time to boot up. All this means is, you can't just jump into your car, throw it into reverse and expect the camera to work instantly. You have to wait about 20 seconds.. its hard, I know.
you know of course that you can wire the h/u directly to the reverse circuit via the sensing wire and so eliminate the canbus signal
asdetail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 02:46 AM   #3
Degrees

My Ride: BMW 320i
Re: Enco/Eonon Canbus Random Start Fix

Quote:
Originally Posted by asdetail View Post
you know of course that you can wire the h/u directly to the reverse circuit via the sensing wire and so eliminate the canbus signal
You're welcome.
Degrees is offline   Reply With Quote