E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-22-2013, 04:31 PM   #1
N-AM 007

My Ride: 330ci 2001
DIY : GROM BMWTB3 Trunk installation Guide - Coupe

G'day guys,

here is my step by step guide to install the GROM BMWTB3 (trunk) into an e46 Coupe.

Step 1 - buy the kit online at http://www.gromaudio.com/store/bt3_adapters/

Step 2 - wait for it to arrive in the mail

You're really excited to install but upon inspection GROM have already stuffed up...

Step 3 - Go to an automotive audio store and buy 2 x 3.5mm aux female to male cables and a female to male USB cable because GROM DO NOT provide cables long enough to reach the front of the car (for AUX connection, USB or microphone).

Step 4 - Installation beings - remove the rear light housing and pop out all the plugs holding the carpet trim in the boot and pull the trim back (its carpet so don't worry about breaking it.

Step 5 - Using a socket set (metric i think, or its the other) remove your CD stacker (if you don't have one the cables should be wrapped in a ducttape/foam tape and sit somewere in the same area) and disconnect the 3 and 6 pin connectors. (SELL STACKER ON EBAY)

Step 6 - Connect these up to the GROM cable and plug the other end into the GROM unit and you're ready to set up Bluetooth. With your phone already on Bluetooth discoverable mode wait for GROM-CAR to appear and click on it. Your phone should now be and should always be connected to the GROM unit when returning to the car.

Step 7 - install the microphone and try a call to confirm everything works.

Step 8 - Disconnect the microphone up and take it to the front. Drop down the cover above behind the map/interior lights and using tape secure/cover the mic so its sitting in the groove where the factory mic would sit ( might have to do some test calling with a mate to confirm he best location).

Step 9 - Run the cable under the roof lining, down the a pillar and along the carpet until it wont reach because GROM provide a short cable... thanks again GROM

Step 10 - attach the mic to the female end of the 3.5mm cable.

Step 11 - remove the rear seat (pull up from the front of the base) and run the wires from under the seat to the rear of the car (I folded my seat down and ran the cable undernear) and connect the extension mic cable up to the GROM unit. Rest for a beer because you deserve one!

Step 12 - with the seat removed I also ran the optional iphone cable and optional aux/USB cable to the centre console under the carpet (use silicon spray to help push the cables through the carpet, mind you its still a bitch to do!) (GROM ones are again too short so use the cables you've purchased.

Step 13 - remove the centre console, cut a slot in the tray under the arm rest and run the cables through.

Step 14 - Fit all the trim back on and you're done.

I'll put up a review soon.

Cheers

James

Last edited by N-AM 007; 10-24-2013 at 11:26 PM.
N-AM 007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 10-24-2013, 08:30 PM   #2
spacemaster

My Ride: E46 328i
Great job. Thank you..
spacemaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 08:46 PM   #3
Born Again

Location: Tis quite a statement. Where do you live - where do we all live? in our minds? our souls? our bodies?
My Ride: She aint much 330ci
Why did u go with the trunk install over the dash?

best mod to date : OEM grocery bag holder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zell View Post
E46Fanatics - the Honda community of gun owners. Keep staying classy, I'm sure you all are going to be excellent examples of how to keep gun rights from being infringed. :facepalm:
Born Again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 10:00 PM   #4
E46 Coupe

My Ride: Rules1 & 2: S T F U!
Trunk install suits cars with the screen headunits
Old 10-24-2013, 11:14 PM   #5
N-AM 007

Ease of plug and play with removal of 6-stacker
Old 10-27-2013, 09:51 PM   #6
TnT817

My Ride: 01 330ci
I was able to run my cable behind the dash and just put my Grom in the glovebox with a bit of velcro. Just for those of you that don't want to do a trunk install.
Old 10-28-2013, 06:49 PM   #7
Mannydog

My Ride: '02 330Xi 5spd
Thanks for the DIY!
Looking forward to your review.

In the meantime, How's the sound quality?
Both for the phone and music
Which cable are you using? Have tried Bluetooth (A2DP)?

I'm on the verge of pulling the trigger on one of these, though I'm torn between trunk and behind radio mount.

'02 330xi 5 spd
Mannydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 08:33 PM   #8
N-AM 007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mannydog View Post
Thanks for the DIY!
Looking forward to your review.

In the meantime, How's the sound quality?
Both for the phone and music
Which cable are you using? Have tried Bluetooth (A2DP)?

I'm on the verge of pulling the trigger on one of these, though I'm torn between trunk and behind radio mount.
Sound quality is great, ive playing music through bluetooth and the AUX cable and both work well.

Phone quality is good too, people say that it sounds clear on their end and on my head i head them through all the speakers.

I went with trunk install as i though it was the easiest route as its plug and play, just remember about buying longer cables.

Ive got a few small niggling issues at the moment and am waiting to hear back from GROM to hopefully resolve them.
Old 10-28-2013, 11:42 PM   #9
Mannydog

I've had problems with Bluetooth headsets staying connected if I had my phone in the wrong pocket, but I'm assuming you can keep a solid connection even thought the receiver is way back int the trunk, yes?

'02 330xi 5 spd
Old 10-29-2013, 12:58 AM   #10
N-AM 007

Yeah no issues with connectivity with the receiver in the boot.
Old 10-30-2013, 12:08 AM   #11
Mannydog

Got a radio mount kit today. Was on the fence about trunk vs radio mount, talked to an installer that recommended the radio mount for accessibility, but went with that mostly 'cause a shop in Portland (where I am visiting for a couple of days) had it in stock!

Probably won't get to install 'til the weekend (unless I get antsy and do the install at my friend's here - it would be nice to have it for the 4 hour drive back home).

I'll let everyone know how it goes.

'02 330xi 5 spd
Old 11-01-2013, 12:00 PM   #12
Mannydog

Quote:
Originally Posted by N-AM 007 View Post
Yeah no issues with connectivity with the receiver in the boot.
When I asked about connectivity, I didn't understand how the system worked.
I figured the bluetooth receiver was in the main box, but I now realize that is what the dongle is for.

Where did you put the dongle with your trunk mount?

Also curious where folks with radio mount ended up putting theirs.

'02 330xi 5 spd
Old 11-01-2013, 04:34 PM   #13
N-AM 007

There is no dongle in my unit. The Bluetooth component is built into the from unit itself
Old 11-02-2013, 12:49 PM   #14
Mannydog

Quote:
Originally Posted by N-AM 007 View Post
There is no dongle in my unit. The Bluetooth component is built into the from unit itself
Wow, now I'm really confused.

I got this accessory:
http://www.gromaudio.com/store/acces..._adapters.html

Bluetooth dongle and microphone.

Til I saw that, I thought the bluetooth rcvr was in the main box, you're telling me on some they are?

'02 330xi 5 spd
Old 11-02-2013, 09:33 PM   #15
Mannydog

Well, I got as far as a functional install (haven't figured out the wire runs, or where the box and dongle will go yet) but it works really well based on some minimal testing. Music sounded great through Bluetooth or wired with iphone cable. Phone calls worked but too soon to say what the sound quality is like I (I just called my daughter who was in the car, and got some great feedback loops going ).

So far I don't see any track names displayed, was gonna try and go back through the documentation to see if I missed something...

'02 330xi 5 spd

Last edited by Mannydog; 11-07-2013 at 11:41 AM.
Old 11-07-2013, 12:07 PM   #16
Mannydog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mannydog View Post
Wow, now I'm really confused.
I got this accessory:
http://www.gromaudio.com/store/acces..._adapters.html
Bluetooth dongle and microphone.
Til I saw that, I thought the bluetooth rcvr was in the main box, you're telling me on some they are?
Well, I think I figured it out. The BT series has the Blutetooth built into the box. The IPD series (what I got) requires a seperate Bluetooth dongle.

I have the install 98% complete (just have to dial in the mic placement and possibly secure the box a little better). BTW, I eded up putting the box in front of the glove box (between the GB and the firewall). I was concerned about Bluetooth reception with it buried up there, but I did a test and was able to connect with my car in my attached garage, with my phone in my house about 30ft away, through 2 closed doors! Very impressed, since most of my BT experience has been with headsets that lose a connection if you have your phone in your pocket while you're wearing them.

Overall, I am very happy with it. I have some small issues, but the big picture is that music sounds great through Bluetooth or the iPhone cable, and it works well for calls (the main reason I upgraded from my iSimple/USA Spec hardwired, set up).

I'm gonna try and write a full review soon, but in the meantime, if anyone has any questions feel free to post them or PM me.

For the record,
-I have a Grom IPD3 (behind the radio mount) unit:
http://www.gromaudio.com/store/ipd3_...interface.html
-The bluetooth dongle/mic kit
-A 2002 330xi with the original head unit
-An iPhone 5 with most recent iOS 7 software

We'll see over the long haul, but based on the short time I've had it, I would definitely recommend it.

'02 330xi 5 spd
Old 11-11-2013, 10:45 PM   #17
spencers

My Ride: 2006 330i sport
Interesting. Makes me wonder if I should ditch my Parrot + USA-Spec setup for the GROM.

Ever since iOS 6 on the 4S (same with iOS7 on the 5), I haven't been able to bring up Siri by pressing the "talking head" button (or the home button on the iPhone) WHILE the phone is connected to the USASpec. If I want to bring up Siri, I first have to unplug the phone.

Last edited by spencers; 11-11-2013 at 10:46 PM.
spencers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 07:53 AM   #18
N-AM 007

GROM BMW Bluetooth Hands Free Car Adapter Kit - TRUNK (BMWTB3) Review

This unit was purchased over other units purely because of its very good customer support, less glitchy than other units and well priced.

The trunk installation was pretty simple and neat with all cables and mess stored in the boot rather than behind the head unit. However i did have to purchase a few extra items (eg 3.5mm cables to extend microphone and aux input) as standard cables were too short.

In regards to its performance, overall ill give it an 8 out of 10.
Positive points
-Its Bluetooth for phonecalls works great, microphone (if positioned correctly) picks up speech very clearly and no issues with dropping out whilst on a call.
-Bluetooth Audio works great too, your phone connects as soon as you open the door and starts playing from the get go (9 out of 10 times).
-Aux cable also works well for passengers who want to play their music with once again, great quality.
-Ipod connection, to be honest this isn't really required, if you've got bluetooth and aux the ipod connection is pretty pointless.

Negative points
There arnt really a lot but enough to lower my rating to an 8.
-If you answer a call coming in on the phone instead of the steering wheel it will not transfer to the GROM Bluetooth, you need to select which device on the phone.
-As mentioned above 9/10 times the phone will connect as soon as you open the door, but that 1 time it doesn't it's a little annoying but a quick -Settings-bluetooth on the phone and you're connected again.
-There is no SIRI button so voice dialing only work if you hold down the home button on the iPhone.
-If you change mode to radio and change back to CD for the GROM unit it again wont connect, this happens more frequently then above.
-Final point, but has since been fixed (thanks GROM support!) - When using Bluetooth/AUX/Ipod connection you are faced with the standard menu screen reading GROM on top, this is fine yet does not allow you to adjust your audio settings or use your navigation. I was instructed on how to fix this (http://www.gromaudio.com/support/usb-config.html) and now I am able to use both Navigation and my GROM device at the same time.

Overall the unit has worked great for the past few weeks, ive worked out how to deal with its quirky behaviour sometimes and recommend this unit for anyone interested in AUX or Bluetooth audio.

Last edited by N-AM 007; 11-23-2013 at 07:56 AM.