E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-02-2013, 01:33 PM   #1
2001bimmer330i

My Ride: 2001 BMW 330i
330i overheating issues

I have read a lot of threads on overheating and I still need to post a question. I have a 2001 300i, and it overheated a few weeks ago. I went ahead and bought a pump and a thermostat. When I pulled the pump I didn't see any prolems with it so just reinstalled it. I figured I would just keep the new one for when it's needed. I then replaced the thermostat. Added cooland and bled the system then no problems for a couple of weeks. My son was driving it and within 15 minutes or so it overheated. The lower radiator hose was popped off, I assume due to the pressure. I had the car towed home and put everything back together to troubleshoot. I did noticed that the lower hose stays cold, and with the heater wide open there is no hot air. Sounds like thermostat but I just replaced it. Any other ideas? Maybe go ahead and replace the pump anyway? By the way, in the neck of the radiator opening where the cap goes I do see a stream of water at the top indicating that water is circulating.
2001bimmer330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 11-04-2013, 08:04 AM   #2
2001bimmer330i

Bump....any ideas guys? Just wondering what else to check. I think the only thing left is an air bubble. Is the only way to get rid of air, through the screw at the top of the radiator?
Old 11-04-2013, 05:02 PM   #3
kd7iwp

My Ride: 2001 325i
One possibility could be the radiator cap. There is a one-way valve in there that should release pressure if it gets too high. Perhaps replacing that will help. Granted, it may prevent your hoses from blowing off but that doesn't solve the problem of why the engine is getting too hot, it just prevents pressure from getting too high. Is there a big difference in temperature between both radiator hoses?

Edit: Sorry, I just re-read and see that you already stated the lower hose stays cold. It should be cooler than the inlet, but not cold. Are you thinking there is no water going through the radiator? It sure does sound like the pump or T-stat when you say you get no hot water inside the cabin either.

Last edited by kd7iwp; 11-04-2013 at 05:04 PM.
kd7iwp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 01:12 PM   #4
2001bimmer330i

Yep, that's what is weird. I replaced the thermostat. I pulled the pump and it rotates freely, doesn't have any breaks or cracks. Nothing leaks. What is the possibility that there could be an air bubble? All I know to do is back off the pressure screw...let the car warm up until water comes out then tighten it back down. Is there something else that can be done to be sure there is no air?
Old 11-08-2013, 05:29 PM   #5
Mango
A full five stars, son

My Ride: M54B30
didn't read one word of your post.

replace the entire system. see the first link of my sig

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 05:33 PM   #6
smolck

My Ride: 2004 ZHP Sedan
Re: 330i overheating issues

Sounds like your tstat was bad out of the box. What brand?

Sent from my HTC One X using BimmerApp mobile app

Check my Youtube channel for DIY's and fun stuff
http://www.youtube.com/user/flipfinish?feature=mhee
smolck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 08:09 PM   #7
lszlszx

My Ride: 328i, XC70
The hose popped off because the clip wasn't probably on correctly.
Is your car auto, or stick? Maybe the fan(s) aren't working?