E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > BAVSOUND Mobile Electronics Forum

BAVSOUND Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by BAVSOUND

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 11-02-2013, 06:09 PM   #1
loayo

My Ride: 2001 M3 Coupe
Aux Input 2001 E46 M3 w/ NAV 4:3

Hello,

I have been searching and have been unable to get a good understanding of what my options are. Just for kicks I got a tape with an aux input from the apple store but it sounds mono and not very good.

Any info is much appreciated.

Regards,
Loay

2001///M3/PowerchipGroup/Eisenmann/Race Flow S-Pipes/AFe Stage II/AutoSolutions/ZCPs/NGK Ir/ULF/JL Audio Amp/Sub/Clutch-Stop 12.8" 1/4mi
1990 Honda Civic DX Hatch B18c1(GSR)/CAI/Greddy Exhaust/DC Sport/H&R/Suspension Techniques/Tanabe/KDWs/Pulstar/Apex Blue Pearl from 2008 S2K CR 14" 1/4mi
2002 Odyssey EX - Secret Weapon R/Pulstar/CAI 15" 1/4mi
2011 Camry V6 SE - Uper Optik 14" 1/4mi
2001 330ci Dinan S1 [Sold]
loayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 11-02-2013, 07:33 PM   #2
adamdifilippo

My Ride: The M
Re: Aux Input 2001 E46 M3 w/ NAV 4:3

I'm not 100% sure, but I think adding the aux input is for head units 2004 and above. I have an 01 also and I think our only options are the Dice kit, which I've never used but read hit and miss reviews, and aftermarket radios. I went with the latter (and by me, I mean the previous owner of the car...)

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
adamdifilippo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 07:34 PM   #3
adamdifilippo

Or buy a head unit from a 2004+ vehicle. Usually in the for sale section. Again, I'm not 100% sure on the year but I do know 2001 it is not possible to just add the aux input

Old 11-02-2013, 07:41 PM   #4
adamdifilippo

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422239

Sorry for spamming but hope this helps

Old 11-07-2013, 11:31 PM   #5
Jeremy Bavsound
Sponsor

My Ride: Bavsound
We offer 3 iPod/Aux/Bluetooth/Satellite radio options, with varying features. The kit that's right for you depends on the features you need! Here are the three available kits, and the features they include:

SoundPlicity ONE - $109.99
http://www.bavariansoundwerks.com/pr...tegration-Kit/

This is the most basic integration kit, and simply provides:
- iPhone Integration
- Track Up / Down from radio and steering wheel
- Charging

Soundplicity Control II - $169.99 (Currently at $89.99 with coupon 30OFFSP2)
http://www.bavariansoundwerks.com/pr...tegration-Kit/

This includes all the features of the ONE, but adds:
- Text display of song and artist info on your radio
- Add on optional Sirius Satellite radio
- Optional - 3.5mm Auxiliary input for use with nearly any device

Soundplicity Control III - $269.99
http://www.bavariansoundwerks.com/pr...n-Control-III/

This includes all the features of the ONE and the DUO, but adds:
- Bluetooth Hands-Free calling with any BT capable device
- Bluetooth Wireless Music streaming from any BT capable device
- Play music from a USB stick
- Answer calls or activate Siri from your steering wheel controls
- 3.5mm Auxiliary input for use with nearly any device

The Control II or Control III both have an Auxilary input should you not want to use and iPod, and you can stream wirelessly via Bluetooth with the Control III!

Bavsound | Audio Solutions for YOUR BMW
www.bavsound.com | 404.381.1800

Jeremy Bavsound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 10:11 AM   #6
Busy

Location: Guys, stop spraying your wheels black; it looks awful.
My Ride: 01 330xi
I just want to get direct confirmation as to whether or not your cable works with the 4:3 Navigation system - yes, no?
Busy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 08:47 AM   #7
ff54976

im in the same boat! i have 2001 m3 with the 4:3 nav.

Can you add a aux input to the 4:3 Nav unit???
ff54976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 01:45 PM   #8
texas_touring

My Ride: 2003 325xiT
The OEM BMW aux input cannot be added to cars with the 4:3 nav unit, but this is a limitation of the radio tuner in the trunk, not necessarily of the headunit. I think with a newer BM53 tuner, you should be able to add AUX, but you might also need to upgrade the nav computer to at least an MKIII, I'm not certain about that last bit though.

If you are so inclined, an Intravee II would work with your system, and is a good foundation for adding functionality to the Nav-equipped cars.
texas_touring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 11:03 AM   #9
ff54976

so since i cant add an aux to the 4:3 nav what if i get the 16:9 nav, is it plug and plug or do i need tuners etc... and with the 16:9 nav i can add an aux input correct???
Old 11-16-2015, 02:20 PM   #10
texas_touring

The 16:9 nav will slot right in to the dash and replace the 4:3 no problem, but that part is really just a monitor. The entire radio tuner, navigation computer, and video interface, are located in the trunk. So you will get the newer monitor, but nothing else will change.

To get aux input, you will need to update the tuner at the very least to a BM53 (or BM54 for Europe) that is capable of handling an aux input. Different part numbers have different capabilities according to their production date. There is a list of all the BM53 part numbers and their features (Aux capable, Sirius capable, MP3 CD changer capable, etc) on another website, I'm not sure if I'm allowed to post the link!

Now, cars that have factory nav with a production date after 9/02 will have a little connector behind the monitor where the OEM aux input cable can be attached and then run to the glovebox (or wherever you want). Since your wiring harness is pre-9/02, you will not have this connector, and you will need to find a way to directly connect an aux input to the connector on the BM53 in the trunk (a wiring diagram would help for this) and then run the audio cable to wherever you like in the car.

Keep in mind, because you have a 4:3 nav right now, you likely have the MKII (second generation, CD based) navigation system in the trunk which might not be capable of displaying an Aux in source, in which case you would need to replace the MKII computer with an MKIII (third generation, CD based) or MKIV (fourth gen, DVD based) computer. All of these can be purchased on eBay, but the cost will definitely add up.

Check out this thread for a similar case: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?p=4168766

Aux capable BM53 tuners go for about $200 to $300 on eBay, an MKIV navigation computer will cost about the same.

The tape aux cord might be the most economical solution.
Old 11-16-2015, 03:40 PM   #11
ff54976

You rock texas touring!!

I went on to ebay and looked, The tuner $300, mk3 or 4 $300 plus the 16:9 monitor is going to be around 900-1200. So..... how hard is it to go to a 02+ business cd player or Aftermarket nav?? which aftermarket nav has the least glitch's/ weird things/ freezes etc etc....

Last edited by ff54976; 11-16-2015 at 07:29 PM.
Old 11-17-2015, 01:35 AM   #12
texas_touring

Yeah those prices sound about right. It's quite a sum, but the old hardware still works I guess!

Going from factory nav to a business CD would not be worthwhile. You would need to change the entire audio wiring harness, as all of the components that are in the trunk of your car are in the front of a car with the business CD. Many have asked about this on the forums, but I haven't seen anyone actually attempt it.

For aftermarket nav, it seems like the Dynavin models are the most well featured and well supported here. If you are into Android gear, you could go with the Avin Avant 2, which looks nice and is well supported but requires more constant tweaking and attention than the Dynavin it looks like. Granted, this is just my observations as a forum member. By all means, avoid the glitch-ridden Eonon models, they look truly dreadful.

For cars with factory nav, you will need to run an extension harness from the radio tuner wiring in the trunk to the dash cavity for the new radio. Since you have a 4:3 nav system, you should have a tuner module called the C43, which has a different style wiring connector than the newer BM53 tuner module. Just something to keep in mind when looking into the installation of the aftermarket systems.
Old 11-22-2015, 08:19 PM   #13
ff54976

once again thank you texas touring!!!

Last edited by ff54976; 11-22-2015 at 08:19 PM.
Old 11-26-2015, 09:27 AM   #14
Christian@Enfig

My Ride: 2003 24V VR6 GLI
This will give you an aux at the CD changer connection in the trunk. For $40 more we can also make it with a USB for apple and for $150 total there is a wireless bluetooth option that not on the site yet.

http://enfigcarstereo.com/ENFIG_BMW_K1200_IPDC_AUX.html

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=1014793

Last edited by Christian@Enfig; 11-26-2015 at 09:28 AM.
Christian@Enfig is offline   Reply With Quote