E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 10-29-2013, 07:41 PM   #1
AndyFL

My Ride: '04 330Ci Vert
Front Door Mid-Bass Speaker Suggestions

I'm debating which Mid-Bass Drivers get for my E46 Vert front doors. Should I go with the Rainbow IQ 265.25 or the BSW Midbass Upgrade Speakers? Out of these two, which one could it be considered a better upgrade? Correct me if I'm wrong but both of these are plug-n-play type install, right?
AndyFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 10-30-2013, 09:17 AM   #2
AndyFL

Re: Front Door Mid-Bass Speaker Suggestions

Anyone???

Sent from my BimmerApp mobile app
Old 10-30-2013, 08:09 PM   #3
Jarrettm3

My Ride: m3
Ive got bsw speaker pkg. M3 coupe and there great! Plug and play
You can also try Focal speakers. There very nice but exspensive

Last edited by Jarrettm3; 10-30-2013 at 08:30 PM.
Jarrettm3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 09:41 PM   #4
AndyFL

Are the Focals also plug-n-play? Are they more expensive than the BSWs? The BSW Midbass drivers are $160 for the pair + shipping. My buddy is letting me have a brand new pair of the Rainbows he didn't install for $50 but I'm not sure how good those are... decisions.. decisions..

Sent from my BimmerApp mobile app
Old 10-31-2013, 04:50 PM   #5
ultimatemj

My Ride: 04 E46 M3
The main decision is "how much effort are you willing to put into it?"

a) If little as possible work, the BSWs are very likely your best option, as they are the correct impedance and require no modifications.
b) If willing to get into wiring, adding an aftermarket amp is fairly well documented here and opens up your speaker options to a range of "performance speakers".
c) If willing to do door metal mods, "big time" midbass is a available. Mounting to the door instead of the panel and the additional airspace makes a huge difference. As well as being able to use bigger motor woofers (165mm max dia x 75mm max depth).

I vote c

One disclaimer, check out the impedance of your friends rainbows...they are the one company that has had them available with the proper the BMW impedance.
ultimatemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 10:27 AM   #6
AndyFL

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultimatemj View Post
One disclaimer, check out the impedance of your friends rainbows...they are the one company that has had them available with the proper the BMW impedance.
Ultimatemj, I do appreciate your well-thought, comprehensive response. I'm looking more into plug-n-plug replacement speakers, so looks like BSW is one of my only choices, if not the only one. I prefer to keep the vehicle mostly in OEM condition, so not looking at doing major mods at this time.

Also, thanks for the tip on checking the impedance of the Rainbows. I'm almost certain they're direct fit, 2.5 ohms, but will double check before committing. Thanks, again!

Last edited by AndyFL; 11-01-2013 at 10:28 AM.
Old 11-01-2013, 01:37 PM   #7
Jarrettm3

the focal range in price. There are a custom fit. My buddy just put some in his car and they are great. I will ask how much
Old 11-01-2013, 03:12 PM   #8
AndyFL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarrettm3 View Post
the focal range in price. There are a custom fit. My buddy just put some in his car and they are great. I will ask how much
Cool, thanks!!
Old 11-02-2013, 11:58 PM   #9
Jarrettm3

Andy, go to crutchfield to look at focal speakers just for a start on price. They have them for 250 a speaker but that is a mid,tweeter and crossover. That will get you started on what to look for and prolly find it cheaper some where else. Remember that they are custom fit
Old 11-11-2013, 05:12 PM   #10
rizwan1377

My Ride: 04 M56,LC 100,RX300
Send a message via AIM to rizwan1377 Send a message via MSN to rizwan1377 Send a message via Yahoo to rizwan1377

If you want to keep the stock amp then dont buy focals because they require much more power and impedence(ohms) might be different, so you will have to get a new amp and fitting them might need some kind of modification.
If you want something plug & play then BSW is the best option because zero modification is required and they are made to work perfectly with stock amp.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using BimmerApp mobile app
Old 11-14-2013, 10:03 AM   #11
eXcelz

My Ride: '01 325Ci
I just installed Rainbow IQ 265.25 in the rear deck of my 325Ci and I feel like they don't have enough bass, other than the bass issue, they are more clear than the stock non-hk speakers though.
eXcelz is offline   Reply With Quote