E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > E46 Xi Forum

E46 Xi Forum
The E46 XI was produced from 01-05 in sedan and touring body styles. Powered by either a 2.5L inline 6 in the 325xi or a 3.0L inline 6 330xi. Discuss all thing about BMW AWD E46 'Xi' here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-25-2013, 02:27 PM   #1
beemteam

My Ride: 325xi
Audio upgrade, any suggestions?

Hi guys, I got a "04" 325xi and I just want to add a 10 inch sub and maybe upgrade my factory speakers. I already installed the Ipod player to my stock radio.
My question(s) are: Can I add a sub/amp to the business radio without a degree in engineering?
And also (I know I can, BUT) would it be smart to replace my door and back shelf speakers with aftermarket (non BMW) speakers?

I like my factory radio with the steering wheel controls and the amp has enough power for me but if I have to replace the whole head unit to make the upgrades possible, (or a whoooooole lot easier) I'm an audiophile so I wouldn't mind.
beemteam is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 10-25-2013, 02:34 PM   #2
jasonbimmer

My Ride: 2001 BMW 330xi
yea just get a converter that converts speaker level signal to audio level signal and plug into the sub amp.
jasonbimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 02:44 PM   #3
beemteam

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonbimmer View Post
yea just get a converter that converts speaker level signal to audio level signal and plug into the sub amp.
Ok. But are there dedicated sub wires behind the head/trunk or would I have to splice into the rears?
Old 10-25-2013, 02:48 PM   #4
nomansland92

My Ride: 03' 330xi/88' 325ix
check out www.bavsound.com if you haven't already. When it comes to good audio you get what you pay for so walmart speakers just don't cut it.
nomansland92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 03:15 PM   #5
beemteam

I drive a BMW AND I'm an audiophile. Why would I go to walmart to fulfill my audio wants? I know about Bavsound, I'm just wondering if I could go another route without much headache? I'm thinking along the lines of Sony, JBL, Infinity.....Thanks

Last edited by beemteam; 10-25-2013 at 03:18 PM.
Old 10-25-2013, 03:55 PM   #6
SamDoe1

My Ride: Clubs baby seals
^ The BSW kit is the most pain free way to get what you want. It's not cheap but it's plug and play. If you want to go and wire in other components, you are going to have one hell of a time doing it unless you're planning on swapping out the stock amp and everything else too.

Good luck.
SamDoe1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 04:17 PM   #7
beemteam

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamDoe1 View Post
^ The BSW kit is the most pain free way to get what you want. It's not cheap but it's plug and play. If you want to go and wire in other components, you are going to have one hell of a time doing it unless you're planning on swapping out the stock amp and everything else too.

Good luck.
Thanks SamDoe1
Old 10-26-2013, 02:37 PM   #8
White_Knuckles

My Ride: 2003 325xi
All the tips posted are heading you in the right direction. One point to consider is how well the XI snuffs trunk audio. Basically, the metal backing behind the rear seat is solid and covered with insulation. Some hog out holes or punch the ski pass-through plate out. They stick a sub box in the trunk or go $$ nutty with a deck mounted sub. Owners that don't "vent" for bass waves claim a sub sounds "stuffy" in our isolation chambers (trunk).

Tapping the "hot" (speaker level) lines for your sub solution is the deal. There are NO pre-amp (line-level) sends from the head available at the trunk mounted, 10 channel, factory amp. These are non-conventional systems. Should you want to start over with a new head, common amps and speakers, prepare to pull shielded wiring front to rear.

My "fix" is probably not very common. I routed the rear deck, mid-bass factory amp speaker outputs to an aftermarket amp's inputs. With a little "massaging", two new high-excursion, 6", 4-ohm, sub/bass speakers were installed where the mid-bass buggers were. The 400w amp has an active cross-over set to 80hz and below for the now low-bass speaks. I roll the factory head F/R balance slightly rear. For volume levels I enjoy, she now adds a sweet amount of the lacking bass in. Bone-jarring sub-freq thump? Um, not so much but authoritative, punchy bass is definitely there in correct, cabin filling phase. No muff stuff. I retained all other factory speakers and have no urgent need to chuck them. Total upgrade cost was around $400.

Last edited by White_Knuckles; 10-26-2013 at 02:49 PM.
White_Knuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 07:54 PM   #9
beemteam

Quote:
Originally Posted by White_Knuckles View Post
All the tips posted are heading you in the right direction. One point to consider is how well the XI snuffs trunk audio. Basically, the metal backing behind the rear seat is solid and covered with insulation. Some hog out holes or punch the ski pass-through plate out. They stick a sub box in the trunk or go $$ nutty with a deck mounted sub. Owners that don't "vent" for bass waves claim a sub sounds "stuffy" in our isolation chambers (trunk).

Tapping the "hot" (speaker level) lines for your sub solution is the deal. There are NO pre-amp (line-level) sends from the head available at the trunk mounted, 10 channel, factory amp. These are non-conventional systems. Should you want to start over with a new head, common amps and speakers, prepare to pull shielded wiring front to rear.

My "fix" is probably not very common. I routed the rear deck, mid-bass factory amp speaker outputs to an aftermarket amp's inputs. With a little "massaging", two new high-excursion, 6", 4-ohm, sub/bass speakers were installed where the mid-bass buggers were. The 400w amp has an active cross-over set to 80hz and below for the now low-bass speaks. I roll the factory head F/R balance slightly rear. For volume levels I enjoy, she now adds a sweet amount of the lacking bass in. Bone-jarring sub-freq thump? Um, not so much but authoritative, punchy bass is definitely there in correct, cabin filling phase. No muff stuff. I retained all other factory speakers and have no urgent need to chuck them. Total upgrade cost was around $400.
Hey White_Knuckles, your the best man! Before I started this whole idea of a sub in the trunk I was thinking just what you said, replace the decks with with low freq direct replacement 8's. Great minds really do think alike. My ski pass thru aready has the hole in it that passes thru to the trunk and I already ordered a low profile 12 inch box for the sub I'm going to put directly centered through the hole so I'm thinking I'll go the inline RCA adapter route for less fuss. I like to feel my bass just a little,and I know a 12 can reach down a little further to grab those lows a little better than those 8's on the deck. I don't wanna wake the neighborhood but I do listen to quite a bit of rap music and the 808 sound must come thru for me to really get the experience I'm jones'n for.

I already have a few high powered 12's and amps laying around the house from building systems in my other cars anyway so that'll cut down on the cost significantly. Like I said, the door speakers and deck speakers play well enough for my taste (right now) I'm just lacking the low end I like so much.

I'll take a couple of pics and let you know how it turned out. Plus Im gearing up for a front left and right axle swap, trans and diff fluid change. My boots are leaking so I'm preparing. I got the axles right here beside me now. Im about to order up all the fluids i need. I might as well change the axle seal while Im under there too right?

Last edited by beemteam; 10-26-2013 at 08:01 PM.
Old 10-26-2013, 10:45 PM   #10
jcarpfishman

My Ride: '01 330xi
What are the chances that you have the ski-pass cassette and bag? Or did you actually have to knock out the metal yourself?
jcarpfishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 06:58 AM   #11
beemteam

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcarpfishman View Post
What are the chances that you have the ski-pass cassette and bag? Or did you actually have to knock out the metal yourself?
I have the bag.
Old 10-27-2013, 01:48 PM   #12
White_Knuckles

My Ride: 2003 325xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by beemteam View Post
...so I'm thinking I'll go the inline RCA adapter route for less fuss.
Speaker level to line level converters are fine just buy a good one. Something in the $20+ range. Some of those products are junk introducing noise. The powered or active units are best but spendy.

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-kSJD5zt...onverters.html

Last edited by White_Knuckles; 10-27-2013 at 01:51 PM.
White_Knuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 12:12 PM   #13
SicStang03

My Ride: e46 325xiT/6 & 325ci
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...290&highlight=
SicStang03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 09:00 AM   #14
Rizzspeed

My Ride: '02 BMW 325XI
I went the complex route and installed two amplifiers with signal cables routed thru the stock wiring loom gromments behind the backrests in my XI.
It was alotta work and not easy but i'm happy with the end result.
Rizzspeed is offline   Reply With Quote