E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > BMW Regional Forums > Regional Forums > Australia

Australia
Check out other E46Fanatics members rides in the Enthusist Directory!

If you don't have your garage setup, sign up today HERE

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 11-01-2013, 02:32 PM   #101
sweppe

My Ride: 330dA -05 e46
Hi

Im very intrested of this future in my car. I have 16:9 mk4 navi but I dont have the TV module. Is it working whit out the TV module?
sweppe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 08:01 PM   #102
PeteAU

My Ride: 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweppe View Post
Hi

Im very intrested of this future in my car. I have 16:9 mk4 navi but I dont have the TV module. Is it working whit out the TV module?
No! You need one or there's no picture. Maybe analog ones are nearly free on German ebay now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94vtirozguy View Post
I am very interested as well. I also am in the local area......even with supplied PI I am interested saves us stuffing around even more.

has there been a thought about digital radio integration as well ?
Why don't you buy a Pi, DAB+ stick and try it outside of the car and let us know the results?

I tried digital TV and wasn't impressed with the software (xbmc plugin). It's a bit clunky and full of bugs, maybe it'll improve in the future.
PeteAU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 10:34 PM   #103
marcel.

My Ride: 320cd
Hi, i don't own an Tv Module too and i plan to use the rpi without video output.

I can write the software but my hardware skills arent that great :/

Am i right that the MC on the Pibus board is there only for handling video source switching?

@ppmz: could you make an layout how to wire only the audio/ibus with the LM2596S and Raspberry Pi?

My plan is:
  • play music from usb/bluetooth (cdc emulation)
  • bluetooth hands-free system
  • show incoming calls at board computer display
  • maybe android/i-devices docking (music and charging over usb)

When i'm finished the source code will be published.
marcel. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 10:12 PM   #104
PeteAU

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcel. View Post
Hi, i don't own an Tv Module too and i plan to use the rpi without video output.

I can write the software but my hardware skills arent that great :/

Am i right that the MC on the Pibus board is there only for handling video source switching?
Also to turn the power ON/OFF for the RPI.

Quote:
@ppmz: could you make an layout how to wire only the audio/ibus with the LM2596S and Raspberry Pi?
I would use the same board but leave out the relay.

Quote:
My plan is:
  • play music from usb/bluetooth (cdc emulation)
  • bluetooth hands-free system
  • show incoming calls at board computer display
  • maybe android/i-devices docking (music and charging over usb)

When i'm finished the source code will be published.
Sounds like a difficult thing to do, especially creating your own menus/lists on the CDC screen.
Old 11-03-2013, 04:17 PM   #105
SKR7

My Ride: E46 MY04.5 SMG M3
Is it just me or is the OEM head unit in the E46 M3 (16:9 nav) a royal piece of rubbish. Double din face with a single din rear.....great marketing BMW. I'm really struggling to find a better alternative. The signal to noise ratio in the Dynavin and generic's is appalling. Carving out behind the head unit to create space for a double din would be rudely expensive. Apropos I'm advised I lose speakers if I replace the HU with either as the HK amp is not compatible. So I figure I stay with the best audio money can buy, the E46 M3 exhaust.
Old 11-03-2013, 09:21 PM   #106
E46 Coupe

My Ride: Rules1 & 2: S T F U!
DIY E46 Media Centre: MP3, videos, Digital Radio, Digital TV?

Raspy POS.
Pete whenever you ready to sell a kit, I'm waiting

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 11-04-2013, 02:11 AM   #107
PeteAU

Quote:
Originally Posted by E46 Coupe View Post
Raspy POS.
Pete whenever you ready to sell a kit, I'm waiting
Well, the version 2 board works, I've verified that. I've opened it up for pre-order on the web site http://pibus.info. I'm just short of a few small parts, hopefully they'll arrive in the post any day now.
Old 11-05-2013, 06:48 PM   #108
E46 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppmz View Post
Well, the version 2 board works, I've verified that. I've opened it up for pre-order on the web site http://pibus.info. I'm just short of a few small parts, hopefully they'll arrive in the post any day now.

Also I see you have used a RPi model-B. Can the model-A be used? SD card size? Recommendations and warnings for minimum hardware reqs?
Old 11-05-2013, 10:04 PM   #109
SKR7

I've just ordered one. :-)
Old 11-06-2013, 02:20 AM   #110
PeteAU

Quote:
Originally Posted by E46 Coupe View Post

Also I see you have used a RPi model-B. Can the model-A be used? SD card size? Recommendations and warnings for minimum hardware reqs?
Model-A would be okay, if you don't mind the missing ethernet port (I like connecting it to my laptop for development/debug), smaller memory and only one USB port.

I upgraded to a sandisk extreme and it made the Pi feel faster. It scans media, goes thru the menus like butter now. I'm not sure what the minimum size is, probably 4GB. Maybe you can find it on http://openelec.tv/

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKR7 View Post
I've just ordered one. :-)
Nearly ready to post, just waiting on a package of parts to arrive...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20131106_191516.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	93.7 KB
ID:	533534  
Old 11-06-2013, 07:40 PM   #111
Ballistic325

My Ride: slow and steady
Good to hear of your progress

If you were to make a post about the feature list / capability plus min hardware requirements (TV module etc) it would really help. Apologies if you've already done so.

GL!

I can help with
* Reading Codes / Coding your car
* R&R FCAs, Tie Rods, Sway links....
* RTABs

Need an RTAB tool? Or clutch fan and water pump tools? PM me.
Ballistic325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 07:40 PM   #112
Ballistic325

My Ride: slow and steady

If you were to make a post about the feature list / capability plus min hardware requirements (TV module etc) it would really help. Apologies if you've already done so.

GL!

I can help with
* Reading Codes / Coding your car
* R&R FCAs, Tie Rods, Sway links....
* RTABs

Need an RTAB tool? Or clutch fan and water pump tools? PM me.
Ballistic325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 03:02 AM   #113
PeteAU

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ballistic325 View Post

If you were to make a post about the feature list / capability plus
That's really hard to define, because I don't make the Raspberry Pi or XBMC. Try looking through the http://openelec.tv/ web site.

At the moment, it is a very fancy MP3/Video player. But tomorrow someone could add something new like bluetooth calling or DAB+ radio. It is an open platform.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ballistic325 View Post
min hardware requirements (TV module etc) it would really help. Apologies if you've already done so.

GL!
This is on the web site, at the bottom of the 'Buy a Kit' page.

Last edited by PeteAU; 11-09-2013 at 03:03 AM.
Old 11-09-2013, 11:22 PM   #114
jararak

My Ride: e39 530d
At the moment, it loks awesome, but do you think it will be very difficult to add bluetooth calling option? Complete solution came arround 20$ in case of those clips for sun razor or cigarete plug. I think adding own microphone and option to switch phone sound to car speakers will be enough
jararak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 11:58 PM   #115
E46 Coupe

DIY E46 Media Centre: MP3, videos, Digital Radio, Digital TV?

The purpose is to retain the factory head unit. Just use/get factory BT...

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 11-22-2013, 02:28 AM   #116
PeteAU

Well, the 1st batch of pre-orders were sent out a while ago and now I'm out of parts again. Common Hong Kong and China Post!...

For those that got one, any feedback on the kit, have you started to assemble it? Difficult/easy? Anything about it that could be made clearer?
Old 11-24-2013, 04:07 PM   #117
SKR7

Got mine but haven't started the build yet. I might loiter outside of Jaycar and see if one of the boffins will do it for a bottle of red cordial and some tim tams.
Old 11-27-2013, 09:29 PM   #118
bgennette

My Ride: l322 Range Rover
L322 up to 2005 Ok for PiBus

theos,

I'm just about to finish my install into a 2003 Range Rover, and I have located all the wiring.

Look in the left hand side rear cargo hatch, (where the nav goes). You're looking for 3 white wires wrapped in a tight twist going to a multi pin plug on the amp, one has Blue, one has Red and one has Brown stripes - this is the analog audio from the CD Changer (behind the glove box). If its there you just have to splice into these to get audio from the Pi to the amplifier when CD (the Pi) is selected. Blue = left = tip, Red = Right = ring, Brown = Gnd = sleeve.

You'll also see the Blue and White plugs going into the Video Module - you need to add 3 pins and some wires to these for the video signal (White pin 13), Video Gnd (White pin 14) and the reverse camera override signal (Blue pin 17).

Finally on the plug for the Nav Unit you'll be able to tap into the iBus, Gnd is Brown, +12V is Red/Green and the ibus is White with Silver stripe and Yellow dashes.

Remember the Pi video is set to default to NTSC, so if you are adding a rear view camera make sure you buy an NTSC one (you CAN'T mix NTSC from the Pi with PAL from a camera, you MUST match them and tell the car what you are using - BMW default is NTSC).

Run a 5m USB cable to the glove box or centre cubby and you are done.

bye.

Last edited by bgennette; 11-27-2013 at 09:31 PM.
bgennette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 07:50 PM   #119
bgennette

My Ride: l322 Range Rover
Kit Assembly

ppmz,

Its pretty straight forward, use photo pibus-assm4.JPG as a guide.

You don't have to read the values on the tiny parts, just align/lay them out with the Parts List. eg the 3 resistors on one strip MUST be the 100Ks while the strip of 4 resistors MUST be the 10Ks, etc.

Good lighting, a thin tipped, low power soldering iron, very thin solder, a third hand (small vice) and a thin set of forceps (big tweezers) are required. You will definitely need some solder wick to clear the excess solder from between the microprocessor's legs.

The transistors can only go one way on their pads, but C2 and D5 need clarification. The chamfered or "bar" end of C2 is positive, goes towards R1; so is the top of the "T" shape of the back of the LED, goes towards R6.

The relay legs are bent too close to its body, they need to be straightened and re-bent to lift the body high enough to get your soldering iron between the body and each leg's "foot".

I didn't fit P2, and just soldered 100mm of co-ax with an RCA plug on the end to the board. Hot melt glue provides strain relief so the wires won't break off from vibration in a moving car.

I didn't fit P5 or P6, instead taking 200mm twisted wires from a 3.5mm plug (from the Pi) directly to the CDC audio leads just before they entered the amplifier.

It's raining here and I don't have a garage, so final soldering of splices into the car's wiring will have to wait till it stops.

bye.

Last edited by bgennette; 12-01-2013 at 06:40 PM.
bgennette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 03:38 AM   #120
Arthur530SE

My Ride: 2001 530iSE
Kit Assembly

Hi All,

I got my PiBus from PPMZ in the post the other day and it's a very well thought out kit with an excellent quality PCB and parts. As an professional electronics engineer I found it really easy to put together, took about 20 - 25 mins in all.

It shouldn't be that difficult for an amateur to make, you just need to exercise a little extra care. A couple of tips here: I find a high magnification eye glass useful for inspecting all solder joints, helps to avoid any problems with dry joints and shorts. Don't worry to much about over heating the components, there're designed to go through a flow solder machine which sits at around 700 - 900F. Just don't keep heating them up. Another very good tip is to buy some liquid flux which really helps a lot in making the best solder joints.

bgennette's comments are all very good valid points, but it never harms to double check your putting the right parts in right place. About the relay needing some attention is correct, however I didn't do as he suggests I just cropped a bit of the length off the legs as they do overlap the solder pads a little. Another thing I did was to use a very small dab of SMT glue on all the surface mounted parts before soldering makes for a much quicker and neater job overall. I guess though that not everyone has the facilities that I have.

It would be nice to make a 3D printed case for this, but I don't have access to a 3D printer. My PiBus isn't mounted in a case yet, but I plan on mounting it in small die cast box. To help keep the Pi nice and cool I'll use a small ex PC CPU fan mounted inside, and for all connections to the car a single polarised multi pin socket and a custom wiring loom. I'll make some provisions to attach a small HDMI/DVI monitor and a wireless keyboard/mouse for diagnostics out of the car. I'm also toying with fitting a USB laptop hard disk into the case as well. After all why not go the whole hog.

Setting up the RPi is really easy and the OpenELEC xbmc platform is one of the best around. I use it on another Pi I use for a home entertainment system.

All in all PPMZ should be commended for this RPi add on. I've seen loads of attempts at making a car PC and this is definitely one of the top ones. It gives a new breath of life to what is now a very old and dated in-car entertainment system. I personally got so tired of skipping CD's I just used the radio or an MP3 player with a cassette adapter which wasn't that good. This PiBus system works really well and it's integration is superb and no more wires trailing over the dash.

Luke

Last edited by Arthur530SE; 11-29-2013 at 10:49 AM. Reason: To add a title
Arthur530SE is offline   Reply With Quote