E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Money Matters

Money Matters
Financial, Stock, Investment etc. posts here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-01-2013, 11:50 PM   #1
Ethaniscool

My Ride: Cars
would It be justified for me to get government assistance?

So I shall give a bit of background.

I have been in the workforce since I was 16 years old.
Started working in a restaurant as a dishwasher tues-sat nights. Obviously I was freshman in high-school so I had school and work(Most people do this). I had to ride my BMX bike 14 miles round trip to get to work because I had no car and NEVER asked for rides from people because I felt It was MY job and business to get to work and no one else's. Saved every last cent until I saved enough to buy my first car a Miata.

Then I found a Job that offered more at a golf course. I was a cart attendant. Always early to work, NEVER late. I worked that for about 2 years then I landed a server job. I worked both. Between the two I worked 12 hour days during the summer and weekends. I did that well out of high school.

I saved around 30K because I wanted to open a business which I did (It did close in the first year I view it as a learning experience) and buy a house and a E46 which I did.

My family fell on hard times during the recession, with both parents lossing their jobs and rather then let them use government programs for assistance, and loss our home. I let them use my savings. Family always comes first.

Later I was in a unfortunate accident that a broke my leg with a compound fracture. At the time since my stepfather was laid off I didn't have insurance.
I was hit with 56K in medical bills. So I used the rest of my savings to keep the bill collectors at bay. Well that ran out. After a year of being in bed and finally landing a job I started paying well over 900$ a month in medical bills. In less than a year and a half I have paid 36K off.

I ended up needing to move out of my parents house so i've been out on my own. Currently I have bill collectors calling all to often, my great credit is destroyed. I have a job but it simply doesn't make ends meet with the medical bills (Making minimum payments) Rent and all other expenses. And working 40+ hours a week.

I dont go out, I dont drink, I dont do drugs. I dont waist any money.
I keep track of every last cent I have. Im not exaggerating lol.
I havent bought anything for my car aside from maintenance since Idk how long.
My GF lives a hour away and I simple dont have the money to see her alot.
I have one pare of jean because I cant afford another. (Yes Ive gone to thrift stores they dont have my size...seriously shits all XL)
I work 6 days a week and I still cant make ends meet.
Hell I pay my neighbor 5$ a month so I can have internet (Cool guy BTW)

Last 3 months I have overdrawn every one. Every day I am off Im out looking for a better job, or filling out applications online with nothing coming to fruition.

If I got a food stamp card for 100$ for food. Would that be justified?

Quote:
Originally Posted by B_Cyrus View Post
strike three watch your back
Ethaniscool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 01:18 AM   #2
cityjohn

My Ride: 2001 M3
Yes.

But it's not up to us here at the BMW club! It's up to some federal clerk somewhere who submits your application into a computer, and they're all off today.
Old 10-02-2013, 01:34 AM   #3
Ethaniscool

Oh I know that lol.
Im just saying, would people think that Im sucking the system or "I'm the problem with america because Im not working hard enough"

Quote:
Old 10-02-2013, 01:59 AM   #4
NOVAbimmer

My Ride: 14 Impala FXST M796

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethaniscool View Post
Oh I know that lol.
Im just saying, would people think that Im sucking the system or "I'm the problem with america because Im not working hard enough"
Someone will always think that about you.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 10-02-2013, 02:04 AM   #5
kaboo0m

My Ride: 04 325xi
Send a message via AIM to kaboo0m
you paid into it so you might as well get some of it back considering you're not a free rider. I think most people in this forum have beef with those who depend on it indefinitely.

might i suggest moving back home with parents if viable as well. there's nothing wrong with that considering how you helped them when they fell on hard times.
kaboo0m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 02:05 AM   #6
peytonracer4
:D

My Ride: '00 328i

Do you have any further education? Is there a reason that you do not go to school to learn a trade? Does your bone fracture still affect you?
If all is true, I think you are as eligible as anyone. And as a tax payer, if my money is going into food stamps, I'd prefer it go to someone like you rather than a low life drug addict.
Good luck with whatever you choose
Old 10-02-2013, 02:56 AM   #7
Ethaniscool

I do not have further education, and I didn't go to college because the time I was supposed to go is when my parents fell on hard times so I just stayed working. And yes my leg is a huge pain as Im on it for at least 9 hours a day. NO shoe I have found has made it comfortable.

The whole reason im really asking is because I feel like If i do go through and get it. I feel like Ill feel like a failure honestly. I understand we all have hard times but I dont want to "take the easy way out"

And of course I would not want to stay on the program any longer than I need to.

Quote:
Old 10-02-2013, 02:59 AM   #8
Ethaniscool

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaboo0m View Post
you paid into it so you might as well get some of it back considering you're not a free rider. I think most people in this forum have beef with those who depend on it indefinitely.

might i suggest moving back home with parents if viable as well. there's nothing wrong with that considering how you helped them when they fell on hard times.
They are currently looking for a New house as they were forced to sell our old one. Bills just got to much. So that wont be a option for another 2-3 months or how ever long it takes them to fin something. But even then I can't leave my roommate/Bestfriend with our apartment or break the lease.

Quote:
Old 10-02-2013, 10:50 PM   #9
SLVR JDM

My Ride: reclining rear seats
Re: would It be justified for me to get government assistance?

If you truly are unable to make ends meet then you can work with your medical bill collectors to settle for less. You will have to provide documentation so have your stuff together.

** Removed **
SLVR JDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 11:29 PM   #10
Ethaniscool

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLVR JDM View Post
If you truly are unable to make ends meet then you can work with your medical bill collectors to settle for less. You will have to provide documentation so have your stuff together.
Everytime I do this they try and make me pay half upfront but I dont have 9k just sitting around.

Quote:
Old 10-02-2013, 11:42 PM   #11
Fern2899

My Ride: 2003 e46 M3
Send a message via AIM to Fern2899

If you lived near me I could have you do some side jobs with me... But your too far away....

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 10-02-2013, 11:55 PM   #12
Master Po

My Ride: E46 no more
Quote:
Everytime I do this they try and make me pay half upfront but I dont have 9k just sitting around.
File for bankrupcy (Chapter 11?).
They can't touch you after that.
Old 11-06-2013, 10:05 PM   #13
saace7

My Ride: is for chicks
Do not tell him to just "file for bankrupcy"...
saace7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 09:54 PM   #14
Cazz

My Ride: 2005 BMW M3
Quote:
They often will take 25-30 cents on the dollar. Just make sure you get your deal in writing and it says your payment counts as payment in full. If they don't want to settle tell them 'Fine, I will use what money I have to settle another debt instead'.

If you make a deal, save a copy of the agreement and a copy the check forever.

Last edited by Cazz; 11-23-2013 at 09:54 PM.
Cazz is offline   Reply With Quote