E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > E46 Xi Forum

E46 Xi Forum
The E46 XI was produced from 01-05 in sedan and touring body styles. Powered by either a 2.5L inline 6 in the 325xi or a 3.0L inline 6 330xi. Discuss all thing about BMW AWD E46 'Xi' here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-03-2013, 12:38 PM   #1
Corey_325xi
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Kansas
Posts: 30
My Ride: 2001 BMW 325xi
Send a message via ICQ to Corey_325xi
330xi motor into 325xi

Hey guys I was just wondering if the 330 motor would fix/go into my stock 325xi without other mods ie transmission and what not...


Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Corey_325xi is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 11-04-2013, 09:25 AM   #2
SamDoe1
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Minnesnowta
Posts: 3,491
My Ride: Clubs baby seals
Sell 325xi and buy 330xi. Thank me later.

If you're interested, I'll likely be selling my car in the spring sometime. Perfectly maintained, complete records, 6spd manual 330xi.
SamDoe1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 02:57 PM   #3
mvance30
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: NJ
Posts: 107
My Ride: 2002 325xi
To actually answer your question I found a thread somewhere that spoke about the same thing. Some kid posted that he actually had it done. I think when it was all said and done it was about 3k for the swap I believe he used all the electrical parts from his motor and swapped out the fuel injectors then reprogramed the ecu for the new injectors. If I can find the thread I'll link it but if you google your question it should be on the front page somewhere on one of the bmw forums.

I'd imagine its not actually all that hard but it wouldn't be THAT much more work to get an m3 motor in it. and when all is said and done you have a 325 with a slight power bump that might or might not handle the extra 40ish hp (trans, clutch, axles, diffs etc etc) all of those might wear or need to be replace rather quickly. So you end up spending more or close to the same amount than just buying a 330.

since motor swaps are so extensive you're better off getting the most out of the labor by swapping the best engine you can get. No point to upgrade half your car and pay 1k-3k for the swap for 40hp.


but all in all yes you should be able to with little to no other mods needed. but don't expect those other parts to last too long.

Last edited by mvance30; 11-07-2013 at 02:58 PM.
mvance30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 03:49 PM   #4
Corey_325xi
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Kansas
Posts: 30
My Ride: 2001 BMW 325xi
Send a message via ICQ to Corey_325xi
330xi motor into 325xi

Ok that's the answer I was looking for... But the M3 is RWD so the motor wouldn't work in AWD would it ?


Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Corey_325xi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 04:25 PM   #5
SamDoe1
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Minnesnowta
Posts: 3,491
My Ride: Clubs baby seals
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvance30 View Post
To actually answer your question I found a thread somewhere that spoke about the same thing. Some kid posted that he actually had it done. I think when it was all said and done it was about 3k for the swap I believe he used all the electrical parts from his motor and swapped out the fuel injectors then reprogramed the ecu for the new injectors. If I can find the thread I'll link it but if you google your question it should be on the front page somewhere on one of the bmw forums.

I'd imagine its not actually all that hard but it wouldn't be THAT much more work to get an m3 motor in it. and when all is said and done you have a 325 with a slight power bump that might or might not handle the extra 40ish hp (trans, clutch, axles, diffs etc etc) all of those might wear or need to be replace rather quickly. So you end up spending more or close to the same amount than just buying a 330.

since motor swaps are so extensive you're better off getting the most out of the labor by swapping the best engine you can get. No point to upgrade half your car and pay 1k-3k for the swap for 40hp.



but all in all yes you should be able to with little to no other mods needed. but don't expect those other parts to last too long.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey_325xi View Post
Ok that's the answer I was looking for... But the M3 is RWD so the motor wouldn't work in AWD would it ?


Sent from BimmerApp mobile app


Come on man, I've been on this forum for more than three years and have almost a thousand times as many posts as the other guy who answered and that's the answer you were looking for?

My answer was not as much a smart as$ response as it was a serious one. You cannot swap an M3 motor into an Xi without a budget of $20k at least. One guy who did it on here spent well over $100k to make an AWD M3. If it were that easy, don't you think people would be doing it left and right?

For starters, the S54 engine has a different oil pan entirely which makes it quite hard to mount a front diff or axles to it. Second, the fuel system is different, the ECU is different, the rear axle is different, the rear diff is different and doesn't come in a ratio that matches any available front diff, the transmission is different which makes it hard to mount a transfer case to it let alone mate a non-M transmission to the engine, the electrical system is different, the gauge cluster is different...shall I go on? It's not as simple as "swapping the best engine you can" in order to save on labor.

On top of all of this, adding 140hp to a car requires new brakes and suspension to handle the power increase.

If you wanted to swap a 330 engine into a 325XiT then it would be a different story since that car doesn't exist from the factory. Even though that swap is possible, it's not nearly as simple as just swapping injectors and an ECU. You have to dismantle and remove the ENTIRE front end, engine bay, and drive train to swap the engine out and then proceed to reinstall everything in such a way that it actually works when you get done. No offense but judging by your previous posts, you are nowhere close to being able to do this on your own or with friends. Hell, I personally wouldn't even consider this.

I would guess that by the time you're done with this project you'd be into the car at least $5k in parts and labor (if you got good deals on everything). If you put $5k on top of whatever you can sell your car for, I bet you can get a 330xi that's both newer and has less miles than your 325xi and also reap the other benefits that come with the 330xi (brakes, interior flair, etc).

So I say again, sell your 325xi and buy a 330xi or an M3. If that's not the answer you are (and should be) looking for then I wish you, your car, your time spent in a pointless swap, and your wallet the best of luck in your endeavors.

/rant

Last edited by SamDoe1; 11-07-2013 at 04:38 PM.
SamDoe1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 04:44 PM   #6
Corey_325xi
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Kansas
Posts: 30
My Ride: 2001 BMW 325xi
Send a message via ICQ to Corey_325xi
330xi motor into 325xi

The answer as in it isn't worth it. That's what I was curious about


Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Corey_325xi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 12:30 PM   #7
mvance30
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: NJ
Posts: 107
My Ride: 2002 325xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamDoe1 View Post


Come on man, I've been on this forum for more than three years and have almost a thousand times as many posts as the other guy who answered and that's the answer you were looking for?


/rant
and I've been on bfc since 2007 with double the posts you have. Doesn't mean im twice as smart so thats pointless.

Either way power costs money. I've been there and spent a ton of money to get some decent speed. You'll always want more and there will always be someone faster. If you want speed for cheap get a foxbody mustang and be done with it.

Euro cars are never cheap.

Last edited by mvance30; 11-08-2013 at 12:37 PM.
mvance30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 03:51 PM   #8
SamDoe1
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Minnesnowta
Posts: 3,491
My Ride: Clubs baby seals
Re: 330xi motor into 325xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvance30 View Post
and I've been on bfc since 2007 with double the posts you have. Doesn't mean im twice as smart so thats pointless.
With that much experience and that high of a post count I would expect you to give better advice than to swap an S54 into an E46 Xi just because it is the best engine offered on the platform.
SamDoe1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Censor is ON





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:47 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
(c) 1999 - 2011 performanceIX Inc - privacy policy - terms of use